PDA

View Full Version : My Off Season Moves

steeler_george
02-18-2009, 03:57 AM
These are a few moves I think we should do in 2009 regarding our own top FA and how to fill their void if they leave. Also plays in Tomilins " player fleibility "

To fix correct the Offensive Line

1) Sign Essex - he will come cheap and is still a young veteran to play tackle for insurance. Correct me if I am wrong, he can also play back up Guard. We actually don't have the luxury of OL depth going into 2009/10. A must sign.

2) Sign the best tackle free agency (period). If it is Carnay, Gross, Starks, etc... But don't go over cap hell. Gives us flexibility in the draft, not reaching for a LT, we know what we are getting. It is not as if we have money tied up in the T position. Our top 4 are FA.

3) Tender Colon, just how we did Starks. This a move based not on performance but stability to the line. Continuity is important. Also were do they see him in the future lies on the health of Simmons and the development of Hill.

4) Let Kemo walk, use his money else where. His position is where we draft is perfect to land a replacement for him, example... Mack, Ung, Wood. That would leave us with Stapleton, Simmons, Hartwig, and a or 2 Rookie for interior linemen. Please take note that Hartwig did also play Guard in his career.
Stapleton did ok first year, not great, just ok. The health of Simmons is the biggest concern.

5) Obvious, draft a tackle for development and back up.

6) Sign Mr. Smith, to a one year vet minimum. He has no options, unless Colbert goes dumb or another GM is desperate, with his back condition and him trying to get paid as a FA. A Leftwich move to improve his value.

T- Starks or FA, Smith, Essex, Colon, Hill, Capri, Rookie
G- Rookie, Hartwig, Colon, Stapleton, Simmons.
C- Hartwig, Rookie, Stapleton

For 2009 could be solid to great. But appears good enough on paper to be productive, stable, and the key flexible in the future.

WR & TE

1) Restructure Hines, let him retire a Steeler hopefully discount price, if he wins more Super Bowls he is a lock as a living legend for the Hall of Fame.

2) Let's let Nate test the market, if he finds more money let him walk. I am sure they can find a good 3/4 th down Wr in the FA or Draft. I am sure there are going to be a lot of older WR being cap casualties and looking for a ring. Plus Sweed should be more involved.

3) Find a great blocking TE, to allow Miller or Spaeth to use there best qualities as a receiver. Having Ward, Holms, and Miller (if used properly) is a scary line-up for opposing DB. Throw in RB Moore, Mendahl as receivers out of the back field.

I believe we have enough/sufficient toys for Ben, even with the lose of Nate.

DB

1) Try to sign MAc, if unsuccessful look to pick up a FA or high draft pick CB/Safety. My thinking is let Gay start. Deshea (still capable) as a back up and nickle, and add a FA/Rookie DB to fill in as the nickle/dime back. Not only limit it to a CB need also a Safety....we have no depth behind our oft injured Safeties. (only Carter & Mendy...Smith is gone)

2) Middle rounds find a Cb to Develope...a Deshea, Gay, Ike type of player.

In the Draft, I hope the select the BPA with an emphasis on G/C and CB/S in the first 3 rounds.

SteelBucks
02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
You're missing locking up Harrison and Heath long term. The Steelers cannot let these two test FA after next season. IMO, one or both would be gone.

calmkiller
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Our safeties next year will be Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Our safeties next year will be Troy, Clark, Carter, Mundy.

I think they give Anthony Smith a low RFA tender (would give us a 3rd round pick if someone signed him :lol: ) and just see how things play out in training camp. If Carter and Mundy are better than Smith in camp, so be it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
3) Tender Colon, just how we did Starks. This a move based not on performance but stability to the line. Continuity is important. Also were do they see him in the future lies on the health of Simmons and the development of Hill.

The Cost of Applying the Franchise Tag in 2009
February 18, 2009

OL $8.45M ($7.74 M for Transition Tag)

You want to give Colon a one year contract at $7.74M? Our worst lineman? Our false starting machine?

You lost me after this. My eyes bulged out so far when I read this that I was unable to refocus on the rest of your ideas. :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
[quote="steeler_george":2av3gyqv]3) Tender Colon, just how we did Starks. This a move based not on performance but stability to the line. Continuity is important. Also were do they see him in the future lies on the health of Simmons and the development of Hill.

February 18, 2009

You want to give Colon a one year contract at $7.74M? Our worst lineman? Our false starting machine?

You lost me after this. My eyes bulged out so far when I read this that I was unable to refocus on the rest of your ideas. :shock:[/quote:2av3gyqv]

Yeah, two totally different things. Starks was a UFA who got the nearly $7 million transition tag last year. Colon is a RFA who will get tendered. The lowest tender (4th round compensation) would be a $1.01 million. The next tender (2nd round compensation) would be $1.545 million. The next tender (1st round compensation) would be $2.198 million. The highest tender (1st and 3rd round compensation) would be $2.792 million.

Colon will likely get either the $1.01 million or $1.545 million tender.

steeler_george
02-20-2009, 06:55 AM
You're missing locking up Harrison and Heath long term. The Steelers cannot let these two test FA after next season. IMO, one or both would be gone.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, was focusing only on FA class of 2009.

I agree 100% thatHarrison, Heath, and even Ward are must re-dos for the 2010, and with Steeler policy that is going to be done this year.

steeler_george
02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
[quote="steeler_george":1chxit8e]3) Tender Colon, just how we did Starks. This a move based not on performance but stability to the line. Continuity is important. Also were do they see him in the future lies on the health of Simmons and the development of Hill.

February 18, 2009

You lost me after this. My eyes bulged out so far when I read this that I was unable to refocus on the rest of your ideas. :shock:

Yeah, two totally different things. Starks was a UFA who got the nearly $7 million transition tag last year. Colon is a RFA who will get tendered. The lowest tender (4th round compensation) would be a $1.01 million. The next tender (2nd round compensation) would be $1.545 million. The next tender (1st round compensation) would be $2.198 million. The highest tender (1st and 3rd round compensation) would be $2.792 million.

Colon will likely get either the $1.01 million or $1.545 million tender.[/quote:1chxit8e]

Thanks Ruthless, that is what I mean sign him for one year on the cheap...I don't think that many other teams are really going to go after him anyways.

steeler_george
02-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Check
These are a few moves I think we should do in 2009 regarding our own top FA and how to fill their void if they leave. Also plays in Tomilins " player fleibility "

1) Sign Essex - he will come cheap and is still a young veteran to play tackle for insurance. Correct me if I am wrong, he can also play back up Guard. We actually don't have the luxury of OL depth going into 2009/10. A must sign.

2) Sign the best tackle free agency (period). If it is Carnay, Gross, Starks, etc... But don't go over cap hell. Gives us flexibility in the draft, not reaching for a LT, we know what we are getting. It is not as if we have money tied up in the T position. Our top 4 are FA. Check! With Gross signing that big salary, we tag an "affordable" option 2, Starks.

4) Let Kemo walk, use his money else where. His position is where we draft is perfect to land a replacement for him, example... Mack, Ung, Wood. That would leave us with Stapleton, Simmons, Hartwig, and a or 2 Rookie for interior linemen. Please take note that Hartwig did also play Guard in his career.
Stapleton did ok first year, not great, just ok. The health of Simmons is the biggest concern.

6) Sign Mr. Smith, to a one year vet minimum. He has no options, unless Colbert goes dumb or another GM is desperate, with his back condition and him trying to get paid as a FA. A Leftwich move to improve his value.

For 2009 could be solid to great. But appears good enough on paper to be productive, stable, and the key flexible in the future.

WR & TE

1) Restructure Hines, let him retire a Steeler hopefully discount price, if he wins more Super Bowls he is a lock as a living legend for the Hall of Fame.

2) Let's let Nate test the market, if he finds more money let him walk. I am sure they can find a good 3/4 th down Wr in the FA or Draft. I am sure there are going to be a lot of older WR being cap casualties and looking for a ring. Plus Sweed should be more involved.

3) Find a great blocking TE, to allow Miller or Spaeth to use there best qualities as a receiver. Having Ward, Holms, and Miller (if used properly) is a scary line-up for opposing DB. Throw in RB Moore, Mendahl as receivers out of the back field.

DB

1) Try to sign MAc, if unsuccessful look to pick up a FA or high draft pick CB/Safety. My thinking is let Gay start. Deshea (still capable) as a back up and nickle, and add a FA/Rookie DB to fill in as the nickle/dime back. Not only limit it to a CB need also a Safety....we have no depth behind our oft injured Safeties. (only Carter & Mendy...Smith is gone)

In the Draft, I hope the select the BPA with an emphasis on G/C and CB/S in the first 3 rounds.

steeler_george
02-27-2009, 05:32 AM
2) Sign the best tackle free agency (period). If it is Carnay, Gross, Starks, etc... But don't go over cap hell. Gives us flexibility in the draft, not reaching for a LT, we know what we are getting. It is not as if we have money tied up in the T position. Our top 4 are FA. Check! With Gross signing that big salary, we tag an "affordable" option 2, Starks.

3) Tender Colon, just how we did Starks. This a move based not on performance but stability to the line. Continuity is important. Also were do they see him in the future lies on the health of Simmons and the development of Hill. Check!, I guess now more valuable with Simmons gone.

steeler_george
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM

CHECK

2) Sign the best tackle free agency (period). If it is Carnay, Gross, Starks, etc... But don't go over cap hell. Gives us flexibility in the draft, not reaching for a LT, we know what we are getting. It is not as if we have money tied up in the T position. Our top 4 are FA.

check

CHECK

Boy, am I glad to be wrong here. It was a good move to resign him at that price. Now we don't have to hit the panic button on draft day. Although I am still hopeing to get a replacement starter for Stapleton.

Was I smoking crack when I wrote this? Honestly, if he signs dirt cheap I would have no problem having him on the roster to push Starks and having his experience in certain situations. Strictly a reserve. Then again I think he is done in the NFL.

REMOVE : Smith, Simmons from that list.

WR & TE

Check they started that procedure inviting Galloway. Take note I am not really for signing him.

DB

[b]Check- with Mac gone we get desperate and sign Bryant Fer. (spelling) We will see how this pans out and if he is even still on the roster in Sept.[b]

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Check they started that procedure inviting Galloway. Take note I am not really for signing him.

I'm glad that you are not really for signing him. Because New England already did.

[b]Check- with Mac gone we get desperate and sign Bryant Fer. (spelling) We will see how this pans out and if he is even still on the roster in Sept.[b]

That would be Fernando Bryant. He'll be in camp for some veteran depth. But I think our top corners will still be Taylor, Gay, and Townsend, with Roy Lewis and possibly a rookie figuring in. Fernando Bryant will have to fight to actually make the team coming out of Latrobe.

frankthetank1
03-21-2009, 10:07 AM
im liking the offseason so far. i wish they would sign a #3 wr but other than that it will be the same team as last season. that in my opinion is huge. im just concerned with heath and harrison. i would also like to see woodley locked up for a long long time. i also think that they need to get a safety for depth. is carter really going to be on this team next season? i hope not. i dont know much about mundy at all. god forbid clark or troy get hurt next season. clark already cant play on the road in denver so that is one game he most likely will miss