PDA

View Full Version : Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and

fordfixer
02-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo

09:01 PM CST on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 319cc.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/021809dnspocownewsletter.34319cc.html)

Sometimes we get so consumed with stats that we forget that winning and losing are really all that matters.

That's why Ben Roethlisberger is better than Tony Romo.

You wouldn't have convinced me of that a few months ago because Roethlisberger, who had 17 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions this season, usually plays such an ugly game.

Like so many others, I put too much credence on stats and style and not enough on performance and substance.

But when you watch Roethlisberger struggle for three quarters against Dallas before leading the Steelers on their only touchdown drive eight plays and 67 yards with 2:04 left, setting up Deshea Townsend's interception return for a touchdown in the Steelers' 20-13 win over Dallas, it affects you.

Just as it affects you when you watch Roethlisberger lead the Steelers on a game-winning touchdown drive in the Super Bowl after seeing the Cardinals take an improbable 23-20 lead with less than three minutes left.

At winning time, Roethlisberger plays his best. And he does it when it matters most. It doesn't matter what Roethlisberger has done in the first three quarters. Everyone on the field and in the stadium knows he's going to get it done at the end of the game.

As long as there's time on the clock, Roethlisberger thinks he's going to win. Those are among the reasons he has two Super Bowl championships in his first five seasons.

Romo had a 114.7 rating with nine touchdowns and an interception in the fourth quarter of games this season. He had a 97.4 passer rating with nine touchdowns and four interceptions on third down, the most important down in football.

He's 27-12 as a starter.

None of that matters because he's 0-2 as a playoff starter and the Cowboys were humbled, 44-6, in a win-and-get-in game against Philadelphia in the regular-season finale.

We shouldn't have been surprised considering he had a 67.9 rating with five touchdowns and six interceptions in December.

We question Romo's leadership, commitment and preparation because he hasn't played his best football when it has mattered most. Until he does, his gaudy stats won't matter because they lack substance

Flasteel
02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
The headline should have been completed by adding "the rest of the field". It's not just Tony Homo who Ben separates himself from...it's everyone. The only active quarterback who can touch him is Brady.

fordfixer
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
The headline should have been completed by adding "the rest of the field". It's not just Tony Homo who Ben separates himself from...it's everyone. The only active quarterback who can touch him is Brady.

But Brady knew all the answers :lol:

proudpittsburgher
02-18-2009, 07:41 AM

You are absolutely right, fla. The best comparison was made after the super bowl as to whom you would rather have, the king of stat building Peyton Mannign or Ben. No one would argue that Manning is a better pure passer than Ben, but good luck if you would rather have Manning, who routinely chokes come playoff time.

ramblinjim
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Mike Wilbon from the Washington Post constantly says that if he could have one quarterback for one game that your life depended on him winning, he wants Big Ben. Peyton Manning is a great Quarterback but there is no one in the league more clutch than Ben.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
There are plenty of idiots on other forums who still insist that Ben is just along for the ride.

:Hater

Scarletfire1970
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
There are plenty of idiots on other forums who still insist that Ben is just along for the ride.

:Hater
Yeah, I am getting more of that as the SB performance gets further and further away. People still want to bring up his first SB. And say he has 1 TD and 3 INT in 2 SB games and that is not great. Haters.

Uncle Rico
02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Making big plays > making big stats

williar
02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
That TD to Santonio was the best pass I ever seen Ben make. That really renewed my belief in him as a passer. I honestly didn't think Ben had it in him to complete such a throw with pinpoint accuracy, in that kind of pressure situation. That was Montana like to say the least. I hope that this is only the beginning of more great things to come.

feltdizz
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
That TD to Santonio was the best pass I ever seen Ben make. That really renewed my belief in him as a passer. I honestly didn't think Ben had it in him to complete such a throw with pinpoint accuracy, in that kind of pressure situation. That was Montana like to say the least. I hope that this is only the beginning of more great things to come.

You stopped believing? Not me.. we have seen Ben do it all and make all the plays when there is 3 minutes left and we are down. The only difference was the whole world was watching and all the naysayers finally had a chance to see what we had all seen for the past 4 years (2006 was not a good year for wins).

I have been guilty of expecting Ben to play like this all the time...