PDA

View Full Version : Smash's Early Mock...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Still don't have to much knowledge past the 1st 3-4 rounds but I will give it a shot early...

RND #1--T. Jackson DE LSU or A. Mack C/G CAL (Happy with both)
RND #2--J. Gilbert DE SJST.
RND #3--B. ROBISKIE WR THEE OSU
RND #3--F. TUPOU OT
RND #4--B. Johnson CB/KR Miami University
RND #5--D. Nicholson ILB FSU--Trade up to a higher 5 for our #6
RND #7--AQ SHIPLEY C/G PSU

If we do choose Mack in 1st, we need to pick up another O-Linemen somewhere in this mock. Either in the 3rd or 4-5 rounds!

Thoughts?

Jom112
02-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Still don't have to much knowledge past the 1st 3-4 rounds but I will give it a shot early...

RND #1--T. Jackson DE LSU or A. Mack C/G CAL (Happy with both)
RND #2--J. Gilbert DE SJST.
RND #3--B. ROBISKIE WR THEE OSU
RND #3--F. TUPOU OT
RND #4--B. Johnson CB/KR
RND #5--D. Nicholson ILB FSU--Trade up to a higher 5 for our #6
RND #7--AQ SHIPLEY C/G PSU

If we do choose Mack in 1st, we need to pick up another O-Linemen somewhere in this mock. Either in the 3rd or 4-5 rounds!

Thoughts?

Jackson and Gilbert as your first two picks? I know the D-Line needs some youth but I don't think you need to use your first two picks on it.

Substitute Gilbert for Kropog or Wood and I think it would make more sense. Especially considering that Shipley is a mid round prospect at this point, so he probably won't be there late in the 7th...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Its all about the defense!!! I do love Mack however and hope we sign V. Carey OT Dolphins. Our new d-line will need a year or two to get the system down, now is the time to draft Smith's and Keisal's backups and soon to be heirs. Don't forget about Hampton also!

Jom112
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Its all about the defense!!! I do love Mack however and hope we sign V. Carey OT Dolphins. Our new d-line will need a year or two to get the system down, now is the time to draft Smith's and Keisal's backups and soon to be heirs. Don't forget about Hampton also!

Makes sense, but your QB can only suffer so many concussions.

Tupou is pretty good and you do have him in your mock. I think he'll go in the 2nd or early 3rd though.

Mack is an absolute beast. Probably my favorite player in the draft. I'm actually hoping we trade down in the draft to get him late in the 1st. Don't see it happening but it would be nice...

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 01:04 AM
If we draft Tyson Jackson at #32, and it turns out that Gilbert is the BPA during our 2nd, I don't see the problem with taking both. We did it with Timmons and Woodley.

The ENTIRE line is aging.

MeetJoeGreene
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
That is an excellent mock draft.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
The one that sticks out to me is Robiskie. When you have big time Buckeye supporters on this site saying that they want no part of him on the Steelers, that is a red flag to me. Also, I realize that you projected a trade in which you gave up our 6th round pick, but it looks like you forgot the extra 7th round pick that we got from Tampa in the Mahan trade (it is unbelieveable that we got anything for that guy). Other than that, though, I like the general strategy of beefing up the trenches on both sides by taking o-line and d-line early and often.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM
The one that sticks out to me is Robiskie. When you have big time Buckeye supporters on this site saying that they want no part of him on the Steelers, that is a red flag to me. Also, I realize that you projected a trade in which you gave up our 6th round pick, but it looks like you forgot the extra 7th round pick that we got from Tampa in the Mahan trade (it is unbelieveable that we got anything for that guy). Other than that, though, I like the general strategy of beefing up the trenches on both sides by taking o-line and d-line early and often.

I noticed I missed that to (extra 7) Put whoever you want here--I don't have good 7 round experience on the guys yet--maybe after the combine.
Also I believe Robiskie will be a decent WR in the pros--A solid #2 after Ward retires and holmes goes into the #1 spot (actually he's probably already there). I am a big buckeye fan and really celebrated when we got Holmes and also predicted he would be a much better receiver than Ginn with the Phins. Rob. suffered his last season a little with a freshmen QB. He catches everything thrown to him and can get deep. If he lasts that long --gobble him up but don't spend a #2 on him.

pfelix73
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
"Don't forget about Hampton also!"

This is why I like a Ron Brace somewhere in the mix. Maybe even at #32.

Gotta get Big Snack's replacement this year, IMO.

Kropog in the 2nd then. Isn't he the OT from Tulane?

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Just my primary picks

1. Max Unger, OL, 6’5” 300lbs, Oregon..
2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin.
3a. Ron Brace, DL 6’3” 320lbs, BC.
3b. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida.
4. Will Johnson, DL, 6’5” 290lbs, Michigan .
5. Mike Thomas, WR, 5’8”, 195bs, Arizona.
6. Eric Vandenheuvel, OL, 6’7”, 324lbs, Wisconsin.
7. James Williams, DB, 6’, 180lbs, Southern Conn.
7. Will Ta’ufo’ou, FB, 5’11”, 253lbs.

grotonsteel
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

I noticed I missed that to (extra 7) Put whoever you want here--I don't have good 7 round experience on the guys yet--maybe after the combine.
Also I believe Robiskie will be a decent WR in the pros--A solid #2 after Ward retires and holmes goes into the #1 spot (actually he's probably already there). I am a big buckeye fan and really celebrated when we got Holmes and also predicted he would be a much better receiver than Ginn with the Phins. Rob. suffered his last season a little with a freshmen QB. He catches everything thrown to him and can get deep. If he lasts that long --gobble him up but don't spend a #2 on him.

I would stay away from Robiskie. I would go after Derrick Williams from PSU if Steelers don't have A Mack or Duke or Tyson Jackson to pick in 1st Rd.

Also what do you think of Nader Abdallah, DT in 7th Rd?