PDA

View Full Version : No Steelers???

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3835146

What say ye, current and former Pennsylvanians??? Do you agree with this list?

Ozey74
02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't agree. Chuck Noll belongs on it.

:tt2

snarky
02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I guess this is technically for athletes and coaches only - I was surprised Curt Gowdy didn't make it for Wyoming. They have a friggin state park named after him.

northgate1980
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Can't really argue with the list they have. They have, IMO, the best hockey, baseball, and basketball players ever on the list, along with the one of the best, if not the best college football coach ever. Though a fifth spot for Chuck Noll or Dan or Art Rooney wouldn't be out of line either. Arizona's has Jerry Colangelo, so there can be owners.

phillyesq
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow. Very tough list to argue with.

I'd agree that an argument could be made for either Dan or Art Rooney. As much as an argument could be made for Lambert, Greene, Bradshaw, Noll, etc., there is also an argument to be made for Mike Schmidt, arguably the best third baseman of all time, or Steve Carlton, the best lefthanded pitcher of all time.

papillon
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Paterno off and either The Chief or Chuck Noll along with Lemieux, Chamberlain and Clemente.

Paterno may be the winningest coach of all time, but, Noll is the winningest championship coach of all time, he won the big games, Paterno, not so much.

Papillon

Mister Pittsburgh
02-18-2009, 12:05 AM
How about Billy Conn, "The Pittsburgh Kid"? He is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Honorable? Mention: Kurt Angle for an Olympic gold medal :Beer

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Josh Gibson (Pittsburgh) - Believed to have hit 800 home runs in 17 Negro League seasons

Maybe MLB should put this guy above Barry Bonds and they don' t have to worry about the *. (I'd never heard of this guy before).

I'd definitely replace JoPa with Rocky. Chuck Noll or Arnold Palmer would be a close 2nd to replacing JoePa.

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
OK, I've changed my vote to replacing JoePa with Black Babe Ruth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Gibson

Why don't Pittsburgher's talk about this guy?

MeetJoeGreene
02-18-2009, 08:41 AM
There are so many PA folks that could go on their includiing Noll, Rooney, Jim Thorpe, Schmidt, Carlton.

It does seem odd that there are no Steelers up there.

Discipline of Steel
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

By comparison, look at Alaska. You could make an argument for Bristol Palin's baby daddy as the Wasilla High hockey captain. All in all, this was an enjoyable website. Good find D!

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

By comparison, look at Alaska. You could make an argument for Bristol Palin's baby daddy as the Wasilla High hockey captain. All in all, this was an enjoyable website. Good find D!

Glad you enjoyed it...but in all honesty it wasn't much of a find. When a person is without employ and watches ESPN all day long (when not submitting resumes to companies that simply aren't hiring, more so in an attempt to fulfill ridiculous requirements rather than honestly seeking employ - and don't get me wrong here...it's not that I don't want work it's just that the job market here is D-E-A-D) it's pretty easy to go to their website and find something they've been talking about for a few months. :P

flippy
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":cbktzz20]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Glad you enjoyed it...but in all honesty it wasn't much of a find. When a person is without employ and watches ESPN all day long (when not submitting resumes to companies that simply aren't hiring, more so in an attempt to fulfill ridiculous requirements rather than honestly seeking employ - and don't get me wrong here...it's not that I don't want work it's just that the job market here is D-E-A-D) it's pretty easy to go to their website and find something they've been talking about for a few months. :P[/quote:cbktzz20]

Sucks to hear about the dead job market. Hopefully Barak's stimulus package will have you working in the next couple weeks.

Do you think you'll end up moving?

pfelix73
02-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd yank Paterno and insert Art Rooney.

MeetJoeGreene
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
For all that want to yank Paterno, why? Other than PSU-hatin'

If we are being objective and want to put a Steeler (and assume it is Noll) we would more fairly yank Mario.

Who says we need hockey on the mountain?

Discipline of Steel
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I do! I cried when he retired. (The first time)

feltdizz
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Josh Gibson (Pittsburgh) - Believed to have hit 800 home runs in 17 Negro League seasons

Maybe MLB should put this guy above Barry Bonds and they don' t have to worry about the *. (I'd never heard of this guy before).

I'd definitely replace JoPa with Rocky. Chuck Noll or Arnold Palmer would be a close 2nd to replacing JoePa.

You never heard of Josh Gibson? OMG... you have to read up on him.

Watch Soul of the Game.... best movie ever showing the true struggle the MLB and Negro league's had with integration...

it shows Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige(no one knew his real age, rumor has it he pitched into his 50's in the majors when he finally got in). All great negro league players and it shows the struggle all 3 have with Jackie being the one to go to the majors.. he wasn't the best of the 3 but he was the youngest and the safest choice.

Josh Gibson had mental problems, bad migrane's and drank heavily to numb the pain...
he was in and out of mental hospitals... best HR hitter to ever, EVER play the game.

it ends with Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige a shot to show how great they were in a Negro league vs. MLB Allstar game...

movie was damn good. I may rent it again myself....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KStAWceML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1dosfqju]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Glad you enjoyed it...but in all honesty it wasn't much of a find. When a person is without employ and watches ESPN all day long (when not submitting resumes to companies that simply aren't hiring, more so in an attempt to fulfill ridiculous requirements rather than honestly seeking employ - and don't get me wrong here...it's not that I don't want work it's just that the job market here is D-E-A-D) it's pretty easy to go to their website and find something they've been talking about for a few months. :P

Sucks to hear about the dead job market. Hopefully Barak's stimulus package will have you working in the next couple weeks.

Do you think you'll end up moving?[/quote:1dosfqju]

Unfortunately, not likely. I'm needed here to help the "old folks" until they retire to a condo in AZ. My brother is moving to Nashville in May so I'm kind of stuck here.

feltdizz
02-18-2009, 03:49 PM
[quote="stlrz d":18l0qgs9][quote="Discipline of Steel":18l0qgs9]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Do you think you'll end up moving?[/quote:18l0qgs9]

Unfortunately, not likely. I'm needed here to help the "old folks" until they retire to a condo in AZ. My brother is moving to Nashville in May so I'm kind of stuck here.[/quote:18l0qgs9]

Moving to a new city is logical if you are 21 with no ties.. but if you have elderly parents or a own a home... it just isn't that easy as some make it out to be. Good luck in finding something..

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 04:02 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3vfp605g][quote="Discipline of Steel":3vfp605g]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Unfortunately, not likely. I'm needed here to help the "old folks" until they retire to a condo in AZ. My brother is moving to Nashville in May so I'm kind of stuck here.[/quote:3vfp605g]

Moving to a new city is logical if you are 21 with no ties.. but if you have elderly parents or a own a home... it just isn't that easy as some make it out to be. Good luck in finding something..[/quote:3vfp605g]

Appreciate it. I don't own a damn thing outside of my possessions. :P That's a "Yogi Berra" way of saying I don't own a house. :D

Anyway, I was having that discussion with my brother the other day. Why I didn't get the hell out of this state right after college is beyond me. I was stupid.

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM

Watch Soul of the Game.... best movie ever showing the true struggle the MLB and Negro league's had with integration...

it shows Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige(no one knew his real age, rumor has it he pitched into his 50's in the majors when he finally got in). All great negro league players and it shows the struggle all 3 have with Jackie being the one to go to the majors.. he wasn't the best of the 3 but he was the youngest and the safest choice.

Josh Gibson had mental problems, bad migrane's and drank heavily to numb the pain...
he was in and out of mental hospitals... best HR hitter to ever, EVER play the game.

it ends with Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige a shot to show how great they were in a Negro league vs. MLB Allstar game...

I guess I'm embarrassed that I haven't.

And I was a huge baseball fan as a kid.

Roberto's my favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

I never really looked back at the history of the Negro leagues.

Am I the only one?

What I've read about the guy so far is pretty interesting stuff.

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
[quote="stlrz d":34mac87m][quote="Discipline of Steel":34mac87m]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Do you think you'll end up moving?[/quote:34mac87m]

Unfortunately, not likely. I'm needed here to help the "old folks" until they retire to a condo in AZ. My brother is moving to Nashville in May so I'm kind of stuck here.[/quote:34mac87m]

It's good to be around family as long as you can.

And good luck finding something. I've heard from a few pals that have had to take 60-70% pay cuts to just get a job in this crappy economy.

pfelix73
02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd yank Paterno and put him 5th or 6th because he is not the leader in all-time wins in college football. Div. 1 correct, but even there Bowden is only 1 game behind him.

Out of all of those years as the head coach at PSU, how many championships does he have? 2?

He deserves to be in there somewhere, but not at 3 or 4.

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 12:28 AM
[quote="stlrz d":fkcm52v8][quote="Discipline of Steel":fkcm52v8]Chuck Noll has to be on there although Lambert would look just plain awesome on the side of a mountain. I agree that JoePa would have to concede his spot, it would give Pa an icon in each major professional sport. Arnold Palmer is notable but I dont consider golf much of a sport. There are a lot of other well qualified candidates so we are stuck choosing from the best of the best.

Unfortunately, not likely. I'm needed here to help the "old folks" until they retire to a condo in AZ. My brother is moving to Nashville in May so I'm kind of stuck here.[/quote:fkcm52v8]

It's good to be around family as long as you can.

And good luck finding something. I've heard from a few pals that have had to take 60-70% pay cuts to just get a job in this crappy economy.[/quote:fkcm52v8]

Thanks. Right now the only things out there pay (after taxes) about the same as unemployment. What's the point in taking a crap job and reducing the amount of time I have for looking around for what I really want?

I'll live on the dole and keep searching.

feltdizz
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM

I guess I'm embarrassed that I haven't.

And I was a huge baseball fan as a kid.

Roberto's my favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

I never really looked back at the history of the Negro leagues.

Am I the only one?

What I've read about the guy so far is pretty interesting stuff.

I was reading a "did you know" book and it mentioned Satchel Page and Josh Gibson and their records.. when it said Gibson played for the Homestead Grey's I ran out to Honus Wagner and bough a Grey's cap.

I spent tons of money at Honus Wagner buying hats...

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
They just covered PA's Mt. Rushmore on SportsCenter.

Rick Reilly mentioned a ton of folks who could have been on (Arnie, Stargell, Charles Barkley, Honus Wagner, Mike Schmidt, etc...) but even he didn't mention any Steelers players, coaches or the Rooneys.

I'm really surprised by that.

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Rick Reilly mentioned a ton of folks who could have been on (Arnie, Stargell, Charles Barkley, Honus Wagner, Mike Schmidt, etc...) but even he didn't mention any Steelers players, coaches or the Rooneys.

As I think about this more, one of the hard thing for the Steelers players of the 70s is that they were all so good. So many HOF guys, its tough to put one ahead of the rest (unless you go the Noll or Rooney route). With Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Honus Wagner, those guys were more stand outs from the rest of their teammates.

Charles Barkley is quite surprising -- if any other basketball player, I'd think Dr. J, not Barkley.

Iron Shiek
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
No kidding philly. I saw another thread here that was talking about our fantasy secondary and that alone could be the Mt rushmore (well I am exaggerating of course but come on...look at our best possible secondary or linebacker units and compare that to the best any other NFL team could put together and its ridiculous how good our defensive players have been over the years).

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

As I think about this more, one of the hard thing for the Steelers players of the 70s is that they were all so good. So many HOF guys, its tough to put one ahead of the rest (unless you go the Noll or Rooney route). With Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Honus Wagner, those guys were more stand outs from the rest of their teammates.

Charles Barkley is quite surprising -- if any other basketball player, I'd think Dr. J, not Barkley.

RR actually stated what someone else here did (not looking back to see who), that Schmidt was arguably the best 3rd baseman of all time.

Wow...I forgot about Dr. J. He could be considered a snub too.

Btw, totally off topic, but I wish I could remember who it was from the trib board that described the typical Baltimore sports fan logic in that Brooks Robinson was the best 3rd baseman ever and then used the complete opposite argument to state that Cal was the best SS ever. I think the argument was Brooks was better than Schmidt because he was better defensively and Cal was better than ___ (can't remember who) because he was better offensively. :lol:

The mention of Mike Schmidt made me think of this. :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
They should just sculpt a huge Terrible Towel underneath the 4 guys that they choose for the PA Sports Mt. Rushmore, since you cannot narrow all of the great Steelers down to just one elite guy.

More consideration should be given to Jim Thorpe. Professional football, baseball, basketball, plus Olympic gold medals in the decathelon and pentathalon. Absolute freak. Would you want to mess with this guy?

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/23/91823-004-521FAC4D.jpg

MeetJoeGreene
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd yank Paterno and put him 5th or 6th because he is not the leader in all-time wins in college football. Div. 1 correct, but even there Bowden is only 1 game behind him.

Out of all of those years as the head coach at PSU, how many championships does he have? 2?

Of course tbey didn't actually PLAY for a championship for most of his career, now did they. He IS currently the all-time D-1 wins leader. He SHOULD have a bigger lead over Bowden as all those wins when Bowden was at Samford are B.S. and shouldn't count. He has had like 6 or 7 undefeated seasons... and got screwed by voting on a couple of them or he would have 4-5.

By the same logic .. Mario only participated in 2 championships... same with Clemente.

Again, anyone that says JoePa SHOULDN"T be on there has no objective reason other than PSU-hatin'.

pfelix73
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
He's been a coach forever, and he should be in the top 5. 5th place would be ideal. Considering that's about as far as the team gets every year in the rankings anyway.

flippy
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
They should just sculpt a huge Terrible Towel underneath the 4 guys that they choose for the PA Sports Mt. Rushmore, since you cannot narrow all of the great Steelers down to just one elite guy.

More consideration should be given to Jim Thorpe. Professional football, baseball, basketball, plus Olympic gold medals in the decathelon and pentathalon. Absolute freak. Would you want to mess with this guy?

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/23/91823-004-521FAC4D.jpg

OK, I've now decided on Thorpe, Black Babe Ruth, Clemente, and Mario.

I think all of PA could respect that.

papillon
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Of course tbey didn't actually PLAY for a championship for most of his career, now did they. He IS currently the all-time D-1 wins leader. He SHOULD have a bigger lead over Bowden as all those wins when Bowden was at Samford are B.S. and shouldn't count. He has had like 6 or 7 undefeated seasons... and got screwed by voting on a couple of them or he would have 4-5.

By the same logic .. Mario only participated in 2 championships... same with Clemente.

Again, anyone that says JoePa SHOULDN"T be on there has no objective reason other than PSU-hatin'.

Do you believe that Paterno should be in front of any of the following?

Roberto Clemente - One of the first great Latin American players and paved the way for others

Art Rooney - Bought and founded one of the most historic NFL franchises

Arnold Palmer - Used his charisma to begin the growth of golf and brought it into people's homes.

Mario Lemiuex - Almost singlehandedly saved hockey in Pittsburgh twice, once as a player (one of the two best players ever) and once as a managing partner.

Wilt Chamberlain - simply the most dominating big man ever

Jim thorpe - Probably the greatest athlete ever, no disrespect to Jim Brown intended

Chuck Noll - The only 4 time winning coach of the Superbowl

I'm not hating Paterno, I just don't see him supplanting any of the above men. Joe has proven over many years to be one of the best college football coaches of all time. But, he doesn't hold any record (maybe he will in the end) that no else has done. All the men above helped change the sports landscape in some way and most paved the way for people to follow.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah but you just cant leave out Wilt, he was also in Conan the Destroyer so that should put him over the top of any perceived ties.

OK, heres my revised list based on what they did for their respective sports

Noll-Coached the greatest dynasty in the NFL. (earlier dynasties were in a less competitive era)
Lemieux-Top 3 greatest hockey players ever and saved hockey for Pittsburgh
Thorpe-Greatest multisport athlete of the 20th century
Wilt-Most dominating BBall player of his time and awesome in Conan

Sorry about Joe Paterno MJG, I like PSU but college football doesnt light my fire like pro football

MeetJoeGreene
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
It is a far different argument to say "lets build up a Mt. Rushmore of PA from scratch"... than the one that says "take someone off (e.g. JoePa) and put XXX Steeler on".

I was discussing the latter....Again, maybe I am just not that much of a Hockey fan ... but (as much as I love Mario), I would remove him in favor of a Steeler. Other wise you have 3 Pgh persons and 1 Philly.

MeetJoeGreene
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Why don't we do our own poll? Let's get 10-20 names on it and see what the top 4 vote getters are.

The 4 existing names.
Chuck Noll
Art Rooney
Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Thorpe
Lambert
Mike Schmidt
Steve Carlton
Dr. J
Arnold Palmer

...any others?

flippy
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
It is a far different argument to say "lets build up a Mt. Rushmore of PA from scratch"... than the one that says "take someone off (e.g. JoePa) and put XXX Steeler on".

I was discussing the latter....Again, maybe I am just not that much of a Hockey fan ... but (as much as I love Mario), I would remove him in favor of a Steeler. Other wise you have 3 Pgh persons and 1 Philly.

No disrepect to JoePa, but the problem I have with him in this discussion is that he's a college coach.

That's like saying, let's consider Arena Football or Minor League sports accomplishments.

Big difference between the pros and college.

Unless you Dave Wannstedt who would suck on any level from PeeWee to the Pros.

Speaking of such, could we get an anti PA Sports Rushmore going?

Wanny, Korkie, Donovan McNabb, and Charles Barkley

flippy
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
How bout Mario Andretti?

The greatest race car driver ever?

May have to kick someone off the mount....