PDA

View Full Version : Ravens prepared to use franchise tag on Suggs

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... 0387.story (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0217,0,5200387.story)

Ravens prepared to use franchise tag on Suggs
Newsome: Team would continue to work on long-term deal with DE-LB

By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com
11:25 AM EST, February 17, 2009

If the Ravens can't reach a new deal with Terrell Suggs by Thursday, they will use the franchise tag on the Pro Bowl linebacker-defensive end, general manager Ozzie Newsome said today.

The NFL deadline to designate franchise players is Thursday at 4 p.m.

The Ravens would keep Suggs off the free-agent market by tendering him a one-year contract worth $10.2 million (which is 120 percent of his franchise tag last season).

Suggs, 26, went to his third Pro Bowl this season after leading the Ravens with eight sacks. He finished third on the team with a career-best 102 tackles.

Although the Ravens are planning to use the tag on Suggs for a second straight season, the team would keep him away from free agency with the hope of signing him to a new contract.

"You have to look at it as an opportunity for us to enter into a long-term deal," Newsome said.

New England quarterback Matt Cassel and New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs have had the franchise tags used on them this season.

Notes: Newsome also announced that the Ravens have reached new deals with backup defensive linemen Dwan Edwards and Brandon McKinney. Edwards is a former second-round pick, and McKinney was a restricted free agent this season.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I hope that they spend all of the money that they saved by cutting McAllister to give Ray "Jump on the pile late after somebody else already made the play and then dance like I just won the Super Bowl" Lewis a huge contract that cripples their cap forever.

:ratsuck

Mel Blount's G
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I hope that they spend all of the money that they saved by cutting McAllister to give Ray "Jump on the pile late after somebody else already made the play and then dance like I just won the Super Bowl" Lewis a huge contract that cripples their cap forever.

:ratsuck
Yop. And a big, fatty, ultra long-term contract to the super overrated Fart Snott as well :P You go Ozzie!!