PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag?

calmkiller
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
We have until Thursday at 4 pm to tag a player. Do you think we will tag anyone of the OL to guarantee we have an insurance policy?

phillyesq
02-17-2009, 11:53 AM
It really wouldn't surprise me if Starks was tagged.

JDSteeler
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM

That's funny, Philly, but no one is getting tagged this year, not after
all the fuss over Starks" transition tag last season!!!

JD

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM

That's funny, Philly, but no one is getting tagged this year, not after
all the fuss over Starks" transition tag last season!!!

JD

I don't think the front office cares at all about any fuss that was made by the fans or the media about the transition tag for Starks last year. They were certainly glad to have Starks when Marvel went down. Could we have won Super Bowl XLIII with Essex, Hills, Colon, Parquet, or Capizzi at LT? Luckily, we will never need to know the answer to this question, because Starks was there for them, even though folks like me whined about it at the time. I would not be surprised if they franchised him this week, and I would not be surprised if they didn't. We'll see what happens.

Iron Shiek
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I just read an interesting twist to the Franchise salary figure that I didn't know before. The salary comes in at the greater of "the average of top 5 at position" or "20% raise from prior year salary." So if its Starks, I don't think it would necessarily be the average of top 5, would it? I don't know the numbers off hand and don't know where to really find them. But would that change anyone's mind here at tagging Starks if that figure was too exorbetent?

MeetJoeGreene
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Before this year, I had expected them to Franchise Marvel if they couldn't reach a deal to provide 1 more year of continuity while grooming a high draft pick.

So it would not surprise me in the least if they used that same reasoning and tagged Max.

Discipline of Steel
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
If I had to bet my life, and in lieu of a contract deal before the deadline, Id say the Steelers will franchise FattMaxx. Even if it is 6.9 x 1.2 = 8.3 million next year

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
If I had to bet my life, and in lieu of a contract deal before the deadline, Id say the Steelers will franchise FattMaxx. Even if it is 6.9 x 1.2 = 8.3 million next year

I think the franchise number for o-lineman is $8.45 million this year, which is actually higher than 20% more than what we gave Max last season.

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM

In another thread, it said Gross was reportedly close to a deal with the Panthers for $9 million per year. Man, do I wish we could get him for that amount or even more. He is WAY better than any option we have especially if we are going to pay nearly the same amount for Starks. I know, I know, it won't happen, but man if it did, that would be incredible!! Gross, Mack, Hartings, Urbik, Hills--our new O-Line of the future!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM

In another thread, it said Gross was reportedly close to a deal with the Panthers for $9 million per year. Man, do I wish we could get him for that amount or even more. He is WAY better than any option we have especially if we are going to pay nearly the same amount for Starks. I know, I know, it won't happen, but man if it did, that would be incredible!! Gross, Mack, Hartings, Urbik, Hills--our new O-Line of the future!!

Oh, absolutely. If Gross were allowed to hit the open market, I would be willing to give him an 8 figure annual salary, giving up Smith, Starks, and even BMac in the process. I doubt that the Panthers let him hit the open market, though. They could franchise him again if they can't strike a deal by Thursday, since Peppers seems to want no part of the Panthers anymore for whatever reason. It was Peppers that screwed this whole thing up. The whole "Gross might be available" thing was under the assumption that Carolina would franchise their top DE instead of their top o-lineman (who received the franchise tag the year before). But when Peppers said that he want out of Carolina to try to be a 3-4 OLB somewhere instead, he threw a wrench in Carolina's plans, so now Gross is their #1 priority, and they will do whatever it takes to prevent him from reaching the open market, even if it means franchising him again this week if they have to (although they would prefer to extend Gross first, then franchise Peppers and trade him instead).

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Oh, absolutely. If Gross were allowed to hit the open market, I would be willing to give him an 8 figure annual salary, giving up Smith, Starks, and even BMac in the process. I doubt that the Panthers let him hit the open market, though. They could franchise him again if they can't strike a deal by Thursday, since Peppers seems to want no part of the Panthers anymore for whatever reason. It was Peppers that screwed this whole thing up. The whole "Gross might be available" thing was under the assumption that Carolina would franchise their top DE instead of their top o-lineman (who received the franchise tag the year before). But when Peppers said that he want out of Carolina to try to be a 3-4 OLB somewhere instead, he threw a wrench in Carolina's plans, so now Gross is their #1 priority, and they will do whatever it takes to prevent him from reaching the open market, even if it means franchising him again this week if they have to (although they would prefer to extend Gross first, then franchise Peppers and trade him instead).

Well...not according to John Clayton this morning on Mike and Mike. He made it sound like Peppers was going to get the franchise tag and that he was their top priority. Maybe that was assuming the Panthers were going to sign Gross, but he thought Peppers would be hit with the tag because he definitely is not going to sign and if they don't franchise Peppers they won't get anything for him. But if they do franchise Peppers, at least they can trade for him and get first round pick(s).

Oviedo
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I think there is a strong possibility that Starks gets tagged. It is simple supply and demand. There are just not enough starter quality LTs in this league to deal with the ever improving pass rushing DEs and LBs in the league. IMO you have to tag Starks as a defensive measure to protect yourself.

The facts are that Gross will never hit the open market. Other mentioned names like Barnes and carey are going to demand the same $$$ that Starks will and in both cases you are bringing players into a new system who when you get a close look at them may have as many warts as Starks.

I will be very disappointed if we don't tag Starks and continue to work on a long term deal. The reality is that without tagging Max Starks last spring we do not win a 6th Super Bowl.

calmkiller
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
incredible!! Gross, Mack, Hartings, Urbik, Hills--our new O-Line of the future!!

We are bringing Hartings out of retirement? :shock:

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
incredible!! Gross, Mack, Hartings, Urbik, Hills--our new O-Line of the future!!

We are bringing Hartings out of retirement? :shock:

You hadn't heard that? Man, you must really be back there in those West Virginia hills! :lol: Sorry, HartWIG...I'd rather have Hartings, though...

phillyesq
02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I think there is a strong possibility that Starks gets tagged. It is simple supply and demand. There are just not enough starter quality LTs in this league to deal with the ever improving pass rushing DEs and LBs in the league. IMO you have to tag Starks as a defensive measure to protect yourself.

I will be very disappointed if we don't tag Starks and continue to work on a long term deal. The reality is that without tagging Max Starks last spring we do not win a 6th Super Bowl.

:Agree

Well said.

flippy
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Is Starks worth tag money?

This draft is deep in tackles.

We could live with Essex for a year at tackle if we had to. Or maybe one of the younger players is ready to step in.

With or without Max, Ben's gonna get hit a lot.

So let's either get him a playmaker that allows him to get rid of the ball quick.

Or stock up the defense with another stud DE or CB.

We could do a lot with the Max tag money.

calmkiller
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 12507.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_612507.html)

Steelers have until this afternoon to 'tag' a player
Buzz up!
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 19, 2009
About the writer

Scott Brown is the Steelers beat writer. He can be reached via e-mail or 412-481-5432.
Home Delivery

Subscribe to our publications

INDIANAPOLIS The Steelers are considering using either the franchise or transition tag on one of their potential free agents, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today.

The Steelers have until 4 p.m. today to tag one of their players, which would all but ensure that player returning to Pittsburgh for at least one more season.

The most likely candidates for a franchise or transition tag are offensive tackle Max Starks and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

The Steelers used a transition tag on Starks last year.

Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin are among a Steelers contingent that are at Lucas Oil Stadium for the NFL Scouting Combine.

Colbert said the group will meet this afternoon and decide whether the Steelers should use a franchise or transition tag to keep one of their players from hitting the open market Feb. 27 when the free-agent signing period starts.

Jooser
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
It woulda been a gamble, but if Lefty was in such high demand, why now franchise him and hope for a great draft pick out of him?

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
It woulda been a gamble, but if Lefty was in such high demand, why now franchise him and hope for a great draft pick out of him?

Huge gamble not likely enough to pay off, IMO. I think the franchise tender at QB is in the ballpark of $14 million/year. I'd be shocked if Leftwich gets half that.

I like the outside the box approach, but IMO, the potential for disaster is too big.