PDA

View Full Version : Can't Escape Steeler Nation

fordfixer
02-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Can't Escape Steeler Nation

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2009/2 ... eler-natio (http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2009/2/16/760628/can-t-escape-steeler-natio)

Rexx-obamacon_tiny by Rexx on Feb 16, 2009 12:13 PM EST

I spent the better part of last week in sunny Negril, Jamaica, on a well deserved vacation with Mrs. Rexx. We spent all week just basting in the hot sun and relaxing. Or so I thought until one afternoon, I looked up and there walking in front of me was a guy with a Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl Champs hat. That black and gold emblem made me want to puke, but I held it down and just said, "take that damn hat off!" He looked at my Ravens cap, smiled and replied, "three times, baby!" He went on to thank me for helping his team "prepare" for their game winning drive against the Cardinals, based on the plays they made each game to defeat us.

We spoke throughout the rest of the week and although he's been to Pittsburgh, like so many of Steeler Nation, he didn't live there. Instead he lived in Silver Spring, Maryland, but we bonded in the fact that we both hated the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns as well. His "lady friend" was a Ravens fan and when he tried to place his hat on his beach chair facing me, she was kind enough to throw it under the chair.

There were a bunch of other hats and t-shirts with NFL affiliations all over the place and even a couple of Steelers fans on my flights, but luckily I was able to sit upwind from them. I did pick up a sweet "Jamaican-ized" Orioles t-shirt, but they didn't have any Ravens gear at the store. Spoke to a Redskins fan who liked the Ravens and was pissed at his team's horrible ending of their season. However, he also liked the Steelers, so I ended that conversation quickly.

Sometimes, all you want is to get away from it all, but try as you might, the black cloud of Steeler Nation is never far enough away from you, and even extends into the Caribbean!

Djfan
02-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Suck it up rats fan. It's the real world.

Chachi
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
There were a bunch of other hats and t-shirts with NFL affiliations all over the place

So.....shouldn't your title have been "Can't Escape the NFL Nation?"

Oh, BTW.....three times, baby!

proudpittsburgher
02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
What's funny is each and every one of those Baltimore clowns like to take jabs at what is clearly a better fanbase and team than theirs. And they laugh it off, because, well, it makes them feel better.
They would rather take a jab that what he considers much of Steeler nation who doesn't live there. So what, what's your point. So you are a better Ravens fan because you live in Baltimore than I am a Steeler fan because I moved away from the burgh? Guarentee you I still have more pride in Pittsburgh than you do in Baltimore, and I haven't lived there in 11 years.
His team loses three games to the Steelers this season, and he makes an idiotic statement about sitting upwind from Steelers fans. If anything, Baltimoron, you reek of fish, an dit took all week in the Caribean to wash it off.
Baltimore has nothing on Pittsburgh. Your baseball team, while better than the Pirates, routinely spends tons more, and gets virtually no results from it. We get the same results from spending far less. Your football team moved in the middle of the night from your city once, you get a team back with a bit of success, but none sustained. So you have nothing on us there. Your city is routinely high on the STD and murder crime rate list than Pittsburgh, so go ahead and point fingers on our unemployment rate, moron.
In short, Baltimore has nothing to offer. Jealousy is all they have. And it is quite pathetic.

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
What's funny is each and every one of those Baltimore clowns like to take jabs at what is clearly a better fanbase and team than theirs. And they laugh it off, because, well, it makes them feel better.
They would rather take a jab that what he considers much of Steeler nation who doesn't live there. So what, what's your point. So you are a better Ravens fan because you live in Baltimore than I am a Steeler fan because I moved away from the burgh? Guarentee you I still have more pride in Pittsburgh than you do in Baltimore, and I haven't lived there in 11 years.
His team loses three games to the Steelers this season, and he makes an idiotic statement about sitting upwind from Steelers fans. If anything, Baltimoron, you reek of fish, an dit took all week in the Caribean to wash it off.
Baltimore has nothing on Pittsburgh. Your baseball team, while better than the Pirates, routinely spends tons more, and gets virtually no results from it. We get the same results from spending far less. Your football team moved in the middle of the night from your city once, you get a team back with a bit of success, but none sustained. So you have nothing on us there. Your city is routinely high on the STD and murder crime rate list than Pittsburgh, so go ahead and point fingers on our unemployment rate, moron.
In short, Baltimore has nothing to offer. Jealousy is all they have. And it is quite pathetic.

Actually they are taking shots at Steelers fans who have no connection to Pittsburgh. That is what they get satisfaction from, for whatever reason. In their minds, anyone who is a Steelers fan but has no Burgh connection is a front runner, bandwagoner, etc. They consider me a bandwagon fan despite the fact that I became a fan in '72 at the age of 5 (before the Steelers had won anything) simply because I liked the logo. And despite the fact that I've been a fan for longer than many of them have even been alive...and the fact that I've stuck with the Steelers for 37 years.

Doesn't matter. If you're not from there then you're not a "true" fan. It's funny how people try to justify their hate. If a Ravens fan has no connection to Baltimore that's fine to them. There's a guy on the Ravens forum from Connecticut. He has posted repeatedly that he has no ties to Baltimore but became a fan because of the 2000 defense. Not a peep from Rats fans about him hopping on that bandwagon. Hell, I even saw one guy post, "But you've been a fan even after that season, so that's cool with me."

Can you say hypocrites? :roll:

On a side note, I've been to Pittsburgh twice now and both times I have been VERY impressed with the cleanliness of the city and the friendliness of the people.

I lived in Baltimore for 8 months and it is a very dirty city. Garbage blowing all over the streets downtown (I honestly didn't see that in Pittsburgh and I looked). And in Baltimore there seems to be a serious case of East Coast Attitude. Hold a door open for people and they don't even acknowledge your existence.

Pittsburgh actually seems like a large, Midwestern city to me. Clean city and friendly people. If it were a possibility for me at this time I could easily see myself living there.

proudpittsburgher
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
And in Baltimore there seems to be a serious case of East Coast Attitude. Hold a door open for people and they don't even acknowledge your existence.

Put that up there with one of my biggest pet peeves. I always hope, if that happens, that there is another set of doors right after that, because not only don't I hold it, I may give it a bit of a nudge backwards on the way out. :)