PDA

View Full Version : This is an excellent mock draft (of course, Ruthless did it)

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Here is my first go around now that we are full-fledged into mock draft season (the draft is 2 months away!). Several of these guys have been discussed on this board numerous times already. Other names may be new to you. My theme, of course, is "Big Uglies." Six out of nine draft picks are in the trenches in an effort to get younger along the offensive and defensive lines. One of the other three non-trench picks was chosen primarily for his blocking ability as well (an actual real life fullback, Mr. Arians...now use him the right way!), and the other two picks were for depth on the outside but also to provide guys who are able to return kicks and punts.

I realize that the team will probably throw a LB in there somewhere, but I figured if we plan to keep Foote for the last year of his contract to start next to Farrior, extend Harrison, re-sign Key Fox, get Humpal back from injury, and watch Woodley, Timmons, and Davis progress in their young careers, plus LB's like Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, Arnold Harrison, and Donovan Woods fighting for roles on special teams, there really isn't much room for any new LB blood this year.

I think there is a strong likelihood that we could trade up in the 1st or 2nd rounds this year, but I won't get into those possibilities just yet. This is just a first attempt at some guys that might help us if they were available where pick in each of the 9 spots (assuming that we get an comp pick at the end of the 3rd round for Faneca). Here goes:

1. Alex Mack, C, California 6'4" 312 lbs

Compared to former 1st round center Nick Mangold in terms of talent, and was given the prestigious Draddy Award (considered to be the acedemic Heisman) for the nation's top scholar-athlete. "Mack Draddy" seems like the kind of guy who could anchor the offensive line at the pivotal position of center for years to come, much like guys such as Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings used to do before the recent revolving door at the center position. Could potentially start out at guard for a season before moving to center like Webster and Dawson did.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2007/sub/pics/small/california_alex_mack_sm.jpg

2. Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State 6'5" 280 lbs

This guy seems to have a ton of ability and raw potential causing him to shoot up draft boards. He has the perfect frame to play DE in a 3-4, particularly if he adds 10-15 pounds once he hits the NFL weight rooms. Reminds me of Hampton's Kendall Langford who many of us were pining for last year (the Dolphins took him with the 3rd pick of the 3rd round last year, so taking Gilbert with the last pick of the 2nd round sounds about right).

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/58/581501.jpg

3a. Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin 6'5" 323 lbs

A road grader who played both RG and RT in college. If not for some knee injuries, he could be rated higher. Likely better than Darnell Stapleton right now.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/49/495547.jpg

3b. Augustus Parrish, OT, Kent State 6'6" 308 lbs

An athletic tackle from the school that brought us Jack Lambert and James Harrison. He would be a developmental LT project who would likely be a redshirt-type prospect during his rookie year like last year's rookie tackle Tony Hills was this past season.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/video/PARRISH.AUGUSTUS_0914_150A.JPG

4. Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman 6'4" 330 lbs

A big fella from a small school who they could develop in the likelihood that Casey Hampton is not brought back when his contract expires after the '09 season (and since Chris Hoke is a few month older than Hampton, he would not be the long-term future there).

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/65133/sammie_lee_hill.jpg

5. Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida 5'11" 184 lbs

Provides depth in the secondary in a role as a nickel or dime back. Returned punts throughout his college career with 2 PR TD's as a freshman, another PR TD as a junior, and then started returning kickoffs as well as a senior, adding 2 KR TD's also.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucf/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1983288.jpeg

6. Quan Cosby, WR, Texas 5'11" 191 lbs (although I have read that he may actually be as short as 5'8")

Limas Sweed's former Longhorn teammate caught 92 balls for 1123 yards and 10 TD's as a senior after Sweed left for the pros. However, Cosby is already 2 years older than Sweed (and Santonio Holmes), because he played 4 years of professional baseball. Cosby has returned both punts and kickoffs in college, with 1 PR TD and 1 KR TD during his career at Texas. He could make a decent slot receiver. Although his age (he's already 26 and will turn 27 just before Christmas of his rookie season) is a certainly a detriment, he wouldn't fall nearly this low if he were 4-5 years younger, and you can be assured of getting someone who is mature because of his age and the fact that he already has professional experience in another sport. There is also video of him positively laying out a guy with a monster Hines Ward style block (Chadman linked to it in another thread), so you know the Steelers would love seeing that.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2009_images/morning_jolt/quan-cosby.jpg

7a. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU 6'0" 251 lbs

A blocking fullback who was converted from linebacker, so he should love hitting people. While Arians may not like the pick, I'm sure Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, and Mewelde Moore would love it. He only ran the ball 16 times in his college career, but he did have 3 TD's, so he could also potentially carry the rock in short yardage situations occassionally if need be.

http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/2008/11/medium_quinn.johnson.jpg

7b. Everette Pendescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa 6'6" 305 lbs

A developmental project as a 3-4 DE, much like Aaron Smith was when he came out of Northern Colorado (although Everette won't need to add all the weight that Aaron needed to as a rookie). Has a basketball background, so the big frame should be athletic. He transferred from the University of Minnesota. Some reputable draft sites have no mention of this guy whatsoever, which is odd in this day and age, but other sites mention him as a possible sleeper. He is worth taking a flyer on at this point in the draft (or possibly as an UDFA).

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1364343.jpeg

papillon
02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
That's an excellent mock draft.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Pappy

I wrote a ton...you responded too soon...that means you never read any of it. I have a strange suspicion that some folks may just be saying that it is an excellent mock draft without actually reading anything! :? :lol:

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
This mock draft sucks.

buckeyehoppy
02-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Pappy

I wrote a ton...you responded too soon...that means you never read any of it. I have a strange suspicion that some folks may just be saying that it is an excellent mock draft without actually reading anything! :? :lol:

Brother...I couldn't care less how long it took you to put this thing together...it's still an excellent mock draft. If the first three rounds go the way you want them to I'd be REALLY HAPPY.

RB... :Bow :Bow :Bow ...to your mock!

grotonsteel
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Execellent Mock....If Steelers get those players i would simply say WOW....

Jarron Gilbert: He is a physical specimen. I hope he is available till 2nd Rd.

Quinn Johnson, Quan Cosby and Everette Pedescleaux,Joe Burnett, CB ...nice picks

Quinn Johnson is heck of a FB.. But if we draft him can Bruce Arians utilize him in his Offense???

Joe Burnett should help our Special Teams immediately. He is very good in PR

Augustus Parrish, OT...never saw him play or watched any highlights. Some drafts had him going to Steelers in Rd 2. Well those were early mocks though. I would prefer Fenuki Tupou, Oregon over Parrish

I would think Steelers might pick an ILB though. Larry Foote is in his last year of contract. Not sure about Mike Humpal. We need depth at ILB.

Everette Pedescleaux highlight video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GH9lJT3lK8

RuthlessBurgher
This mock draft sucks.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! :lol:

buckeyehoppy
This mock draft sucks.

Yeah...no $hit...no USC players so it's gotta suck! :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

pfelix73
02-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll have to be honest here, I'm not a fan of these guys you have drafted on here. 2 of the picks are a total waste, IMO. Your FB and WR. Although I would love for us return to using the FB, it just isn't in the cards. Not with BA. As far as that WR, we already have one from Texas, and he's on the bench. I do think Sweed is going to be a great WR for us, however. I'd be surprised if we use a pick on a WR this year.

I'm looking at a few of these guys possibly dropping down the draft to us. Jackson might be a candidate. I like a DT, NG type right there in the #32 spot....Then maybe a OG/ OT in round 2. How about the OT from Tulane in round 2?

It's early, so a lot will change I'm sure...

papillon
02-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Pappy

You don't remember everyone always saying "that's an excellent mock draft" over at the Trib? It sort of became a joke due to all the mocks coming out every day or even every hour. :moon :tt2

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Execellent Mock....If Steelers get those players i would simply say WOW....

Jarron Gilbert: He is a physical specimen. I hope he is available till 2nd Rd.

Quinn Johnson, Quan Cosby and Everette Pedescleaux ...nice picks

Quinn Johnson is heck of a FB.. But if we draft him can Bruce Arians utilize him in his Offense???

Augustus Parrish, OT...never saw him play or watched any highlights. Some drafts had him going to Steelers in Rd 2. Well those were early mocks though. I would prefer Fenuki Tupou, Oregon over Parrish

I would think Steelers might pick an ILB though. Larry Foote is in his last year of contract. Not sure about Mike Humpal. We need depth at ILB.

Everette Pedescleaux highlight video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GH9lJT3lK8

I prefer Tupou to Parrish as well, but I think we would need to take him with our 2nd pick in order to get him and even that might be an iffy proposition (I highly doubt that he would last until the end of the 3rd round). If Mack were gone and we took someone like Tyson Jackson in the first, I wouldn't mind Tupou in the 2nd (although I like the Mack-Gilbert combo much better).

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
This mock draft sucks.

Don't get too high and mighty there bobblehead haysoos...I think all mock drafts suck! I HATE mock drafts!

So you see what I did here is posted the opposite of what's usually posted (this is an excellent mock draft) simply for comedic effect. When *I* post "this is an excellent mock draft" I'm really saying "mock drafts suck".

Got it? :P

:moon

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Pappy

You don't remember everyone always saying "that's an excellent mock draft" over at the Trib? It sort of became a joke due to all the mocks coming out every day or even every hour. :moon :tt2

Pappy

Of course! My thread title was a TRIB-ute to the mock draft evaluation skills of one MeetJoeGreene. He is truly the Mel Kiper Jr. of excellent mock draft evaluation. The rest of you are a bunch of Johnny-Come-Lately Todd McShays and Mike Mayocks. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2u5yyf9q]This mock draft sucks.

Don't get too high and mighty there bobblehead haysoos...I think all mock drafts suck! I HATE mock drafts!

So you see what I did here is posted the opposite of what's usually posted (this is an excellent mock draft) simply for comedic effect. When *I* post "this is an excellent mock draft" I'm really saying "mock drafts suck".

:lol:[/quote:2u5yyf9q]

Yeah, so when you post "this is an excellent mock draft" you are really saying "mock drafts suck" so if you say the opposite for me, "this mock draft sucks" that must mean you are really saying "this mock draft rules." I getting to you, man...breaking you down, slowly, piece by piece. Admit it, you liked the pictures. You might have even glanced at the heights and weights this time. You will come over to the dark side! Mwoo-ha-ha!!! :lol:

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2q9iy8p1]This mock draft sucks.

Yeah, so when you post "this is an excellent mock draft" you are really saying "mock drafts suck" so if you say the opposite for me, "this mock draft sucks" that must mean you are really saying "this mock draft rules." I getting to you, man...breaking you down, slowly, piece by piece. Admit it, you liked the pictures. You might have even glanced at the heights and weights this time. You will come over to the dark side! Mwoo-ha-ha!!! :lol:[/quote:2q9iy8p1]

Actually I figured I had to simplify it for you...as well as for comedic effect. :P

papillon
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't follow college football even remotely close enough to be able to put together a mock draft from top to bottom. But, I have a question for all you draftniks.

Lets say that at 1.32 the Steelers take Alxe Mack or Tyson Jackson. Would you be willing to move up in the second round to get the other guy using some of our picks if we could find a willing trading partner.

To move from 2.64 to 2.33 is about 300 draft points.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't follow college football even remotely close enough to be able to put together a mock draft from top to bottom. But, I have a question for all you draftniks.

Lets say that at 1.32 the Steelers take Alxe Mack or Tyson Jackson. Would you be willing to move up in the second round to get the other guy using some of our picks if we could find a willing trading partner.

To move from 2.64 to 2.33 is about 300 draft points.

Pappy

You would have to trade future draft picks for that to happen, since we don't have the ammo to move up 300 points worth in the 2nd round. I don't recall the Steelers ever trading away future draft picks like that.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher][quote="stlrz d":18i00psg]This mock draft sucks.

Yeah, so when you post "this is an excellent mock draft" you are really saying "mock drafts suck" so if you say the opposite for me, "this mock draft sucks" that must mean you are really saying "this mock draft rules." I getting to you, man...breaking you down, slowly, piece by piece. Admit it, you liked the pictures. You might have even glanced at the heights and weights this time. You will come over to the dark side! Mwoo-ha-ha!!! :lol:[/quote:18i00psg]

Actually I figured I had to simplify it for you...as well as for comedic effect. :P[/quote:18i00psg]

Yeah, you are a regular Carrot Top over there (by that I mean an unfunny, no talent hack, of course! :lol: )

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, you are a regular Carrot Top over there (by that I mean an unfunny, no talent hack, of course! :lol: )

No talent??? Need I remind you of one of my props? :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/rbjesus.jpg

MaxAMillion
02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I love the first two picks. I also like the idea of taking a WR in the draft. Ward is not getting any younger and Sweed has not proven anything to date.

I would like to take a corner a little sooner but that is nitpicking. Our interior line problems would most likely be solved with this draft.

Chadman
02-17-2009, 02:05 AM
NICE MOCK DRAFT!

Ok, Chadman doesn't necessarily agree with ALL of it, but Chadman does like the direction you are moving in with it.

Also- it's got pretty pictures....

Hope you don't mind, but Chadman will throw his version of a mock at you to get your reaction...

ROUND 1-

MAX UNGER CENTER OREGON 6'5" 300LBS

http://media.scout.com/media/image/61/613922.jpg

Alex Mack is the superior player, but if he gets past the Eagles, Chargers & Cardinals to #32, Chadman will swallow his tongue. Now, Chadman is not normally one to advocate drafting the next player in line at the same position simply because the one you want has been taken, but in Unger's case, this makes sense. He's not THAT far behind Mack in talent, and is extremely versatile, able to fill any number of positions on the OL. If he doesn't win the OC position on day 1, he'll just as likely be in the mix at OT or more likely, OG, so he presents excellent IMMEDIATE value.

ROUND 2-

JASON WATKINS OT FLORIDA 6'6" 317lbs

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/312129.jpg

Yes- it's a 'reach' here in the 2nd round, but Chadman suspects that the OT's will fly off the board so if the Steelers want to wait until Round 3 to get this guy, he'll be gone. He's big, has long arms & is agile. He can play both LT & RT, so like Tony Hills, he is versatile enough to contribute at two positions. Big college player too. Not as strong in the run game as you'd like, but very good in pass protection.

ROUND 3a)-

DARRYL RICHARD DT/DE GEORGIA TECH 6'4" 306lbs

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2267418.jpeg

Good, solid 2-gap DL guy that doesn't get the recognition he deserves on a good Georgia Tech DL. Makes plays, but more importantly for the Steelers, he fills the running lanes very effectively, something the Steelers will need as Aaron Smith gets older & closer to finishing up. Big, long arms help with disengaging blockers.

ROUND 3b)- (Comp pick for Faneca)

KEENAN LEWIS CB OREGON STATE 6'1" 190lbs

http://media.scout.com/media/image/58/583760.jpg

Big, physical CB that is good in run support. Smart player. Good hands. Big knock on him is his speed (around a 4.50 reportedly), but if used in a zone defence, he should be fine- and his ability to read the play should allow him to cover a few physical deficincies. He reminds Chadman of a bigger Deshea Townsend.

ROUND 4-

TERRENCE TAYLOR NT MICHIGAN 6'0" 319lbs

http://www.michigandaily.com/files/imagecache/fullnode/rgv.FBC.notredame.9-15-07.08.jpg

Strong as a bull, this guy is the future at NT after big Casey lumbers out to pasture. As recently as the beginning of this season, he was projected to go in the first couple of rounds, but now looks to be dropping. Chadman doesn't care- he fits the NT role perfectly.

ROUND 5-

QUAN COSBY WR TEXAS 5'8" 205lbs

http://media.scout.com/media/image/63/637536.jpg

Short?- Check, 5'8".

Slow?- Check- 4.5...

Then why Chadman? WHY?
WHY!!??!!

Just...

watch...

this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSaXAEoYvQ

That's why!

ROUND 6-

TONY FIAMMETTA FB SYRACUSE 6'1" 235lbs

http://photos.syracuse.com/photos/032eb9b6c5c7e6c5ce5eb4b1c466fd5a.jpg

Bruising blocker that loves to hit & has decent hands out of the backfield. A decent short yardage runner too.

And look- he loves babies..

ROUND 7a)

CHRIS CLEMONS FS CLEMSON 6'1" 210lbs

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2008/11/29/21/214-6745.lead_art_vertical.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

Good, solid player that was surrounded by good talent at college. This MAY make him look better than he is. However, he has shown ability to make plays, and in the 7th round- why not take a chance? Besides, he has the hair to partner Troy Polamalu in the secondary...

ROUND 7b)-

KHALIF MITCHELL DE EAST CAROLINA 6'6" 306lbs

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/33/334618.jpg

Big body, long arms, pretty quick. Played a lower division, but has the body to play DE in a 3-4. This late, you gotta look at physical abilities. Mitchell is a good prospect.

Oviedo
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Chadman---I like a lot.

I would go DL in Round 2 as I think Watkins will be around until late 3rd or even the 4th round.

I'd also pimp Joe Burnett for 3b or 4. I just think he offers so much as a returner. Remember the last 4th round CB drafted out of Central Florida was a guy named Asante Samuel. That worked out pretty well and Samuel doesn't have Burnett returner abilities.

Love the Terrence Taylor pick. I would also look at Dorrell Scott in the same round.

MeetJoeGreene
02-17-2009, 09:05 AM
That is an excellent mock draft!!!!

I like the positions that you have taken, I haven't read up much yet on any of the players/sites....so I don't know much about some of the mid-round picks....but I like the bases that you have covered.

This year is the year that I may finally be able to grow the stones and produce a mock draft of my very own...........(of course I say that every year).

calmkiller
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
I would be ecstatic if Ruthless's first two rounds came true. It is very similar to the direction I want to go with my mocks. Two thumbs up.

Chadman's is as usual a great mock. Kudos guys.

Jom112
02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Pretty good mock there Ruthless. The only things I would question is Joe Burnett being around in the 5th and Everette Pendescleaux being around that late in the 7th. I think Pendescleaux is climing the big boards as one of the better 3-4 DE's in this years draft.

Quinn Johnson as well is on everyone's radar after the Senior Bowl. So if you want him you'll probably have to use a 6th.

Other than that it's a solid draft. Mack is a beast and I would be ticked if you guys got him.

As for you Chadman, a couple of things I would change. Unger I'm not a big fan of. I don't think you guys should draft him. I actually like Mack and Wood at the Center position more than Unger.

Jason Watkins in the 2nd I'm not sure of either. It is realistic, but this is a mock so take Kropog, Tupou or Meredith instead.

The rest of the draft is pretty good Chadman...

AngryAsian
02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I love this draft and here's why. The general consensus from all the analysts and draftologists reverberate a common opinion with regards to our SB Champions... we have really no glaring weaknesses on our team, other than trench help. With a much maligned OL (a good portion from Steeler Nation itself) we still managed to win a title against the most formidable competition that the NFL had to offer. And with a supposed "aging DL" with a good amount of time collectively missed by Keisel and Hampton, we still maintained our number one defensive rating.

This draft weighs so heavy on "the ugly" side that with our coaching staff's history of personnel development, I have a feeling we could get real deep and real quick with the insertion of several of the additional components you have us drafting. You sprinkled in a later round CB (yet another good pick, considering how Gay has developed) and WR for good measure. LB is locked without a doubt.... funny we say that now, but in just two years we went from spewing off at the mouth about "how our team has now bite in the arena of pass rush and with the departure of Peezy we'll be screwed and left with a collection of aging schleps and a bunch of unproven young talent".... now look how stacked we are.

That's why I think in this draft, if we go the way that this mock goes, I have a feeling this year's perceived weaknesses will be become strengths in about the same time table that our LBs went. Great Mock!

steelblood
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I would be happy with this draft.

I've never heard of the second two DLinemen you took. I'm doubt we'd keep three rookie d-linemen on the 53 man roster. But, it would be great if we found 2 and tried to hide one on the practice squad. Joe Burnett, from what I've been reading/hearing, could quite easily go at the end of the third, but if he fell to the fifth, he'd be a steal. I'm really warming up to the idea of drafting Alex Mack and giving him every opportunity to win the job from Hartwig in camp this year. Nice job.

Oviedo
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Pretty good mock there Ruthless. The only things I would question is Joe Burnett being around in the 5th and Everette Pendescleaux being around that late in the 7th. I think Pendescleaux is climing the big boards as one of the better 3-4 DE's in this years draft.

Quinn Johnson as well is on everyone's radar after the Senior Bowl. So if you want him you'll probably have to use a 6th.

Other than that it's a solid draft. Mack is a beast and I would be ticked if you guys got him.

As for you Chadman, a couple of things I would change. Unger I'm not a big fan of. I don't think you guys should draft him. I actually like Mack and Wood at the Center position more than Unger.

Jason Watkins in the 2nd I'm not sure of either. It is realistic, but this is a mock so take Kropog, Tupou or Meredith instead.

I agree Jom. No way that Burnett lasts until Round 5 and Pendescleaux is rated as the third best 3-4 DE on some rankings.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Not bad, Chadman, not bad. We seem to have similar philosophies in general, which I think is the important thing at this point in the process. It is difficult to identify certain individual players to target several months prior to the draft since we don't know yet who might rise or fall in the rankings after the combine, but as long as the team is focused on improving both sides of the trenches early and often (as we both are suggesting), I think we will be fine.

We both took big uglies with our first 3 picks (two o-linemen and a d-lineman, including an interior o-lineman who is flexible enough to play more than one position on the line with our first pick). Be both took a NT in the 4th (I thought about Taylor there myself, but figured he would be gone in the late 3rd or early 4th, so I went with the unknown Stillman kid instead). We both took Cosby with a mid-to-late round pick (I love that YouTube block, and you can't deny his receiving numbers and potential returnability at that point in the draft, even though he may well be 5'8" instead of 5'11" and older than dirt). We both took a FB (While yours seems to like babies, I think mine likes to eat babies). We both took a developmental 3-4 DE late (I was confused as to why the East Carolina guy you listed was wearing Tar Heel colors, until I read that he transferred from UNC). The only difference (other than the fact that you picked your CB earlier) is that I took one more interior lineman while you took a safety. The most important thing is that our draft has to have some attitude up front, and I think we both accomplished that. Nice work, mate!

Oviedo
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Not bad, Chadman, not bad. We seem to have similar philosophies in general, which I think is the important thing at this point in the process. It is difficult to identify certain individual players to target several months prior to the draft since we don't know yet who might rise or fall in the rankings after the combine, but as long as the team is focused on improving both sides of the trenches early and often (as we both are suggesting), I think we will be fine.

We both took big uglies with our first 3 picks (two o-linemen and a d-lineman, including an interior o-lineman who is flexible enough to play more than one position on the line with our first pick). Be both took a NT in the 4th (I thought about Taylor there myself, but figured he would be gone in the late 3rd or early 4th, so I went with the unknown Stillman kid instead). We both took Cosby with a mid-to-late round pick (I love that YouTube block, and you can't deny his receiving numbers and potential returnability at that point in the draft, even though he may well be 5'8" instead of 5'11" and older than dirt). We both took a FB (While yours seems to like babies, I think mine likes to eat babies). We both took a developmental 3-4 DE late (I was confused as to why the East Carolina guy you listed was wearing Tar Heel colors, until I read that he transferred from UNC). The only difference (other than the fact that you picked your CB earlier) is that I took one more interior lineman while you took a safety. The most important thing is that our draft has to have some attitude up front, and I think we both accomplished that. Nice work, mate!

What about Deon Butler or Jordan Norwood instead of Cosby. Both are blue collar type receivers. At a WR camp a few weeks ago someone reported that Norwood caught everything thrown to him--only receiver to do that. I think we have the deep threats with Sweed and Santonio (maybe Nate) but we need the underneath guy who can catch everythimng and get yards after the catch as a future replacement for Hines.

Jom112
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM

What about Deon Butler or Jordan Norwood instead of Cosby. Both are blue collar type receivers. At a WR camp a few weeks ago someone reported that Norwood caught everything thrown to him--only receiver to do that. I think we have the deep threats with Sweed and Santonio (maybe Nate) but we need the underneath guy who can catch everythimng and get yards after the catch as a future replacement for Hines.

Deon Butler and Mike Thomas are two shorter receivers that I think will excell at the next level. Thomas more than Butler but then again Mike Thomas will probably be gone by the 5th round.

Quan Cosby is a good pick as well though. Any of those three, I wouldn't mind adding to the roster...

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM

I agree Jom. No way that Burnett lasts until Round 5 and Pendescleaux is rated as the third best 3-4 DE on some rankings.

My main point with Burnett in round 5 is that I wanted a nickle/dime CB with some return ability in the middle of the draft somewhere. If Burnett is not there at that point, then I would target someone else like him, but I have seen him ranked as low as the 27th CB in the draft, so I thought that it was at least somewhat possible. We'll see. As for Pendescleaux, he seems to be an enigma of sorts. Two of my favorite draft sites are Walter Cherepinsky's http://www.walterfootball.com and Scott Wright's http://www.draftcountdown.com because they seem to really do their homework and tend to give pretty comprehensive analyses of players most of the time...however, Pendescleaux isn't even mentioned on either site even among their UDFA candidates along the d-line. It seems like this guy just came out of nowhere.

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Here's a report on Norwood's practice at the Texas vs. Nation All-Star game:

Jordan Norwood (WR-Penn State) - Norwood missed Monday’s practice because he was participating in a skill competition soon to be aired on ESPN, but he showed up Tuesday in mid-season form. His game was indistinguishable from teammate Deon Butler’s at the Shrine Game practices on the whole. Norwood flashed terrific natural quicks and speed, efficient, tight breaks in his routes, and exceptional body control. Norwood sinks his hips low on comebacks, and also uses head and shoulder fakes to create extra separation in his routes. He also gets his head around to locate the ball in flight very quickly and makes most everything look easy. Like Butler, he plays at a high speed, but still completely under control. Most of the defensive backs that tried to cover him were left befuddled, and he capped off the goal line drill with a one-handed, both-feet-in catch in the end zone that no defensive back on earth could have defensed. Norwood is in a class of his own among the WRs in El Paso.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_texas_vs_the_nation_day_two_texas_practice_re port/

I saw the State Farm skills challenge on ESPN and Jordan Norwood was absolutely impressive catching footballs being fired from the jugs machine, a Penn State fan (below) mentions he caught all 16 balls @ 100 MPH and won the WR competition .... I don't recall and can't confirm, but I do remember the announcers were impressed and wondering whether anyone had ever caught as many high velocity footballs at the competition before.

From a Penn State fan:
ESPN had an "All-Star Skills Challenge" which aired on Saturday. Now granted the top WR's like Crabtree, Macklin and even D-Will weren't there. However, Jordan Norwood "blew them away". One of the skills is catching 100 MPH (their claim) passes from a "Jugs" passing machine. The distance was close. Norwood looked almost bored (I mean that in a positive sense) as he caught all 16 passes easily in his hands. No other caught them all. The other three WR's were pretty highly regarded...Hakeem Nicks (UNC), Juaquin Inglesias (Oklahoma) and Rames Barden (Cal Poly). Norwood showed he could run precise patterns, adjust well and had nice quickness. He won the WR contest! To bad he's not 6'3" and about 210. He still may go in a lower round.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice Mock.
I guess I will take a shot.
If they sign Starks, Carey, or Barnes for LT.

1ST - ALEX MACK C/G
2ND - PHIL LOADHOLT RT
3A - JARRON GILBERT DE
3B - DOMINIQUE JOHNSON CB
4TH - SAMMIE LEE HILL DT
5TH - JONATHAN CASILLAS OLB
6TH - ANDY KEMP G
7A - EVERETTE PEDESCLEAUX DE
7B - JASPER BRINKLEY ILB

I have a feeling after the combine, some of these players might get graded higher because of work-outs. I feel the #1 priority should be to lock up a LT before the draft. Starks, Carey, or Barnes should signed. Signing Washington at Cedric Wilson money could be done. The rest of the FA positions could be replaced if they price themselves out of our cap. McFadden or another starter would be nice but I believe any quality CB will be overpriced.

feltdizz
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I watch a ton of college ball but I can't do mock drafts... I don't think we go OL or DL with the first 2 picks though.. I have a feeling we will go BPA with our second pick.

I think Colbert thinks like I do... haha. OL is over rated with a guy like Ben back there...
I hope we go get a bruising FB this draft to improve our run blocking. No matter how good the OL is without a FB we will see a similar trend. 3 yards and LB's blowing up our RB's.

Jom112
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
7B - JASPER BRINKLEY ILB

Jasper Brinkley is an interesting prospect. Here's a guy that is 260+, at times closer to 270 and it's rumored that he might run a 4.6 40 at the combine (Currently listed at 4.74 I believe).

The knee injury dropped him significantly but if he can prove at the combine he's back to being healthy, he's got the size and the production in college the year he was healthy to make him a mid to late round steal.

It's insane seeing someone of that size, talent and production (in 2006 at least), being looked at as a 7th round pick currently...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
7B - JASPER BRINKLEY ILB

Jasper Brinkley is an interesting prospect. Here's a guy that 260+, at times closer to 270 and it's rumored that he might run a 4.6 40 at the combine (Currently listed at 4.74 I believe).

The knee injury dropped him significantly but if he can prove at the combine he's back to being healthy, he's got the size and the production in college the year he was healthy to make him a mid to late round steal.

It's insane seeing someone of that size, talent and production (in 2006 at least), being looked at as a 7th round pick currently...

Could be a steal...Like you stated. He might not have been 100% to finish his college career. Might be a 3rd round talent with a 7th round grade. If he had one more year in school with a healthy season...Who knows where he would be graded!

WoodleyofTroy
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Chadman---I like a lot.

I would go DL in Round 2 as I think Watkins will be around until late 3rd or even the 4th round.

I agree. Watkins would just be another project. I'm sick of these kind of reaches.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice Mock.

1ST - ALEX MACK C/G
2ND - PHIL LOADHOLT RT
3A - JARRON GILBERT DE
4TH - SAMMIE LEE HILL DT
6TH - ANDY KEMP G
7B - JASPER BRINKLEY ILB

I have a feeling after the combine, some of these players might get graded higher because of work-outs. I feel the #1 priority should be to lock up a LT before the draft. Starks, Carey, or Barnes should signed. Signing Washington at Cedric Wilson money could be done. The rest of the FA positions could be replaced if they price themselves out of our cap. McFadden or another starter would be nice but I believe any quality CB will be overpriced.

I obviously like this mock, because you also took 3 o-lineman and 3 d-lineman just like I did, and 4 of your guys were also on my mock draft board (and one other was close...I had Urbik the guard from Wisconson, and you had Kemp the other guard from Wisconson). Big Uglies, early and often, baby!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice Mock.

1ST - ALEX MACK C/G
2ND - PHIL LOADHOLT RT
3A - JARRON GILBERT DE
4TH - SAMMIE LEE HILL DT
6TH - ANDY KEMP G
7B - JASPER BRINKLEY ILB

I obviously like this mock, because you also took 3 o-lineman and 3 d-lineman just like I did, and 4 of your guys were also on my mock draft board (and one other was close...I had Urbik the guard from Wisconson, and you had Kemp the other guard from Wisconson). Big Uglies, early and often, baby!!!

I Agree!!! The Steelers are at a very critical crossroad right now. Many pieces could be in place for that word nobody wants to say "Dy_ _ _ _ _"!!! Some players need to be signed for the long term and others need to rework & extend. The biggest piece to this puzzle right now is "The Big Uglies"! You get 2 on each side of the ball and don't miss...We could be talking about fillin-up the other HAND!!!! Colbert, Tomlin, and the scouts need their "Best Game" this draft! If they re-load the trenches...The rest of the league take note...The Superbowl ticket in the AFC has "The Burg" punched out as the last stop before the dance...For the next 6 years!!!

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
OK I'll play in this thread for now versus starting another. here is what I would do.

Off season actions:

1. Resign Starks
2. Tender Colon and move to LG
3. Extend the contracts of:
James Harrison
Heath Miller
Lamar Woodley

That will essentially take up our cap space except for what we have to do to sign draft picks and emergencies.

2009 Draft:

1. Max Unger, OL, 6’5” 300lbs, Oregon. Rationale: May have best “positional Flexibility in the draft and could play RT or RG while grooming at C.
Alternative: Alex Mack, OC or Phil Loadholdt, OL.

2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Rationale: Big powerful body to shore up the middle of the OL which is our weak spot on the OL.
Alternative: Fenuki Tupou, OT, 6’6’ 322lbs, Oregon

3a. Ron Brace, DL 6’3” 320lbs, BC. Rationale: Hampton is playing his last season with the Steelers and Hoke is even older. This is a big body on the inside to learn for a year and then step in.
Alternative: Dorrell Scott, DL, 6’4” 320lbs or Sammie Lee Hill, DT, 6’4” 328lbs or Terrence Taylor, DL, 6’, 308lbs, Michigan

3b. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida. Rationale: Four year starter and All Conference as DB, punt returner and kick returner. Would immediately help as nickel and with the return game.
Alternative: Keenan Lewis, DB, 6’1”, 196lbs, Oregon State.

4. Will Johnson, DL, 6’5” 290lbs, Michigan . Need to start looking for DE replacements for Kiesel and Smith. Johnson has the size for a 3-4 end and played in a top program.
Alternative: Zach Potter, DL, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska

5. Mike Thomas, 5’8” 195lbs, Arizona. Need to start to groom a slot receiver replacement for Hines. Thomas is the same blue collar type receiver.
Alternative: Deon Butler, WR, 5’10”, 170lbs, Penn State or Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State or Sammie Stroughter, 6’, 186lbs, Oregon State

6. Eric Vandenheuvel, OL, 6’7”, 324lbs, Wisconsin Rationale: Depth on the OL at the OT position. Could surprise and be an eventual starting RT.

7. James Williams, DB, 6’, 180lbs, Southern Conn Rationale: Depth at DB

7. Will Ta’ufo’ou, FB, 5’11”, 253lbs Rationale: Need a better option at FB than Carey Davis. Strong blocker and can run with power in close.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Time for an update, this time with a possible trade.

Many draft pundits have suggested that Michael Oher may fall into the mid-to-late 1st round. I'm not buying it, because I think NFL teams put a premium on tackles (just look at last year's draft), but if it happened, I would suggest trading up for him.

Possible trade partner: Tampa (this gets us up immediately ahead of Detroit at #20 and Philadelphia at #21, both of which would have a strong interest in drafting an OT).

Tampa's new head coach Raheem Morris was Mike Tomlin's assistant DB coach when he was with the Bucs.

The logical choice for Tampa would be a QB. They failed in their effort to trade for Jay Cutler, and right now, one of the McCown brothers is slated to start (does it really matter which one?). Stafford and Sanchez would be gone. The next best option is Josh Freeman. Raheem Morris knows the kid from when he was D.C. at Kansas State for one year before returning to Tampa as the full-time DB coach.

However, Freeman is not a value pick at #19, and they cannot wait until round 2, because they already traded that pick to get Winslow. They would be happy to trade back to #32 and take Freeman there, and pick up a second round pick, since they don't have one right now. There are no teams from 20-31 that would have a need to take Freeman in the first round (Detroit will have likely taken Stafford or Sanchez at #1 and Minnesota already traded a 4th rounder to get Sage Rosenfels to compete with Tarvaris Jackson...everyone else in that late-first round range already has an established QB, so it would be a safe move for them).

The draft trade value chart says that the #19 pick is worth 875 points. Our first and second round picks are worth a combined 860 points. Add in our 6th rounder and the values work out pretty much perfectly.

With that trade in mind, here is a revised mock. I know it is unlikely that we could draft 3 o-lineman and 3 d-lineman and a linebacker, but this is what I would do. I would sign Galloway as a veteran replacement for Nate and a bridge before Sweed is ready for prime-time. I would sign Chris Carr as a nickel/dime CB to fill BMac's roster spot, plus he would also field all punts and kickoffs. Those relatively minor free-agent moves allow me to focus heavily on the trenches:

1. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi 6'5" 309 lbs

Tackle is a big need since the contracts of Starks and Colon both expire after this season, and there are questions about both of them anyway. Oher could start at RT this season as a rookie, allowing us to move Colon to RG, which better suits his skill set. If Starks is not re-signed, Oher can move to LT in 2010. A starting o-line of Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Colon-Oher for next season looks strong to me.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/12/books/will450.jpg

3a. Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin 6'5" 323 lbs

Folks on this board are saying that he may be the best guard in the draft and could be long gone before the end of the third round. I agree that he could be the best guard in the draft, but a history of knee injuries could force him to slip a bit. Walterfootball.com has him projected as a 3rd or 4th round prospect, while draftcountdown.com has him listed as a mid-rounder, so I can hold out hope. If we were able to get Urbik in addition to Oher, you could leave Colon at tackle, and have 3 solid tackle options for 2009 (Starks, Colon, and Oher) as well as 3 solid guard options for 2009 (Kemoeatu, Stapleton, and Urbik). There is no depth behind our starting o-line right now, but the first two picks fix that problem. Urbik could compete with Stapleton for the starting RG spot as a rookie.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/49/495547.jpg

3b. Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman 6'4" 330 lbs

I had him projected in the 4th round in our previous mock, but with so many teams switching to a 3-4, I think I would have to take the plunge earlier. Casey Hampton is not getting any younger, and backup Chris Hoke is even older than Casey.

4. A.Q. Shipley, C, Penn State 6'1" 304 lbs

I like Mack, Unger, Wood, Luigs, and Caldwell better as center prospects in this draft, but they could all get drafted in the first 3 rounds. Even though his short arms are a concern, he is tenacious, and would compete with Stapleton to see who should be the starting center in 2010 after Hartwig moves on.

http://blog.pennlive.com/joehermitt/2008/09/large_A_Q_SHIPLEY.jpg

5. Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina 6'2" 252 lbs

With Foote possibly gone after this season and Farrior getting older, we could use some young blood at ILB as the future next to Timmons. The only reason Brinkley falls this far is because of injury. However, since we still have Farrior, Foote, and Timmons for 2009, Brinkley could take the equivalent of a medical redshirt during his rookie year before contributing in 2010.

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/5586-1/JasperBrinkley.jpg

7a. Zach Potter, DE, Nebraska 6'7" 279 lbs

A developmental prospect who could be develop into a solid 3-4 DE like Brett Keisel did when we took a flier on him in the 7th round a few years ago.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fyxfKb5xL23c/610x.jpg

7b. Everette Pendescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa 6'6" 305 lbs

Same as above. One's from a big school but needs to add a few pounds, the other is already ideal size but will require more of a transition coming from a small school program. Take both of them in the 7th. Perhaps one can make the team and the other can be on the practice squad.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1364343.jpeg

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I just realized that my first two mocks were created under the assumption that we would have a 3rd round comp pick. That not being the case, it is time for an update. I am using the round projections from walterfootball.com to give me an idea for who might be available where in order to not make any outrageous reaches (Walter's projection in parentheses). Although Ovie may think Burnett is worthy of a round 3 pick, I will stick by Walter's projections for my mock (because I said so :P ). Besides, since we got screwed by the Faneca 10 year rule that came out of nowhere, I have no problem suggesting a guy who might present a late 3rd round value for our 5th round comp pick, since our comp pick should rightfully be in the late 3rd if not for some archaic comp rule that no one ever heard of before. But if Burnett is not there, I could go for a different CB like Cincinnati's DeAngelo Smith with the round 5 comp pick instead.

Version 3.0:

1. Alex Mack, C, California 6' 4" 312 lbs (round 1)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-footbl/auto_new_wide/1433197.jpeg

2. Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State 6' 5" 280 lbs (round 2-3)

http://www.blackbirdnation.com/images/JarronGilbert.jpg

3. Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman 6' 4" 330 lbs (round 3-4)

4. Jason Phillips, ILB, Texas Christian 6' 1" 239 lbs (round 4-5)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/551222.jpg

5. Augustus Parrish, OT, Kent State 6' 6" 308 lbs (round 5)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/58/589640m.jpg

5c. Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida 5' 9" 192 lbs (round 5)

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedImages/Stories/Sports/Sports_In_a_Minute/Snapshot%5B4%5D(3).jpg

6. Quan Cosby, WR, Texas 5' 9" 196 lbs (round 6-7)

http://photos.cleveland.com/photos/plain-dealer/002668b08d3d512f0675f66f7748b644.jpg

7. Zach Potter, DE, Nebraska 6' 7" 279 lbs (round 7)

http://www.journalstar.com/content/articles/2007/09/14/huskerextra/football/doc46ea083aae8dd124154909.jpg

7. Tony Fiametta, FB, Syracuse 6' 245 lbs (round 7)

http://www.suathletics.com/news/Football/2008/8/24/..%5C..%5C..%5C..%5C..%5Cimages/Football/2008%5C8%5C24%5CFiammettaTony_Pitt_142web.jpg

pfelix73
04-02-2009, 11:49 PM
At least you don't have 3 OG's and 2 OT's on there......

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2009, 07:46 AM
At least you don't have 3 OG's and 2 OT's on there......

:tt1

Just wait...you haven't seen my "all guards and tackles" mock yet. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
For now, my wish list is still the mock that I have in my sig:

1 C Alex Mack
2 DE Jarron Gilbert
3 NT Sammie Lee Hill
4 ILB Jason Phillips
5 OT Augustus Parrish
5 CB Joe Burnett
6 WR Quan Cosby
7 DE Zach Potter
7 FB Tony Fiametta

However, I have been thinking that what if the team decides that a CB in the first round is the best available player? Although I have been pushing for a big, ugly draft starting from the very first pick, I wanted to see what kind of a draft I could come up with that would be acceptable to me if we picked a corner first. And, for fun, I decided not to pick anyone else that I already had in my sig mock, for variety's sake. Here goes...

1 CB Darius Butler, Connecticut

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2009/0220/dm_090220_ncf_darius_butler.jpg

2 OT Jamon Meredith, South Carolina

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72743085.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB629430768B75F423 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

3 C Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/83068408.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19303D83A05122D23690555E9458C4C8103 5A5397277B4DC33E

4 DE Kyle Moore, USC

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03NafyqdHrfhP/610x.jpg

5 NT Terrence Knighton, Temple

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/57/574431.jpg

5 WR Austin Collie, BYU

http://2008.heraldextra.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=161144&g2_serialNumber=2

6 FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

7 OG Greg Isdaner, West Virginia

http://www.wvmetronews.com/images/pics3/ul6110807.jpg

7 DE Everette Pendescleaux, Northern Iowa

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/540820.jpeg

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM

1 C Alex Mack
2 DE Jarron Gilbert
3 NT Sammie Lee Hill
4 ILB Jason Phillips
5 OT Augustus Parrish
5 CB Joe Burnett
6 WR Quan Cosby
7 DE Zach Potter
7 FB Tony Fiametta

However, I have been thinking that what if the team decides that a CB in the first round is the best available player? Although I have been pushing for a big, ugly draft starting from the very first pick, I wanted to see what kind of a draft I could come up with that would be acceptable to me if we picked a corner first. And, for fun, I decided not to pick anyone else that I already had in my sig mock, for variety's sake. Here goes...

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2009/0220/dm_090220_ncf_darius_butler.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72743085.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB629430768B75F423 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/83068408.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19303D83A05122D23690555E9458C4C8103 5A5397277B4DC33E

4 DE Kyle Moore, USC

5 WR Austin Collie, BYU

http://2008.heraldextra.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=161144&g2_serialNumber=2

6 FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/540820.jpeg

I love that draft if it could work out either way you have listed although I like the first one because it gets us Joe Burnett. I really hope we don't go CB in Round 1..

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM

1 C Alex Mack
2 DE Jarron Gilbert
3 NT Sammie Lee Hill
4 ILB Jason Phillips
5 OT Augustus Parrish
5 CB Joe Burnett
6 WR Quan Cosby
7 DE Zach Potter
7 FB Tony Fiametta

4 DE Kyle Moore, USC

5 WR Austin Collie, BYU

6 FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

1st-I not crazy about Butler. Didn't like the fact he didn't bench and his 3 cone worries me. Usually don't see many CBs on this roster that don't like to run support. I guess I would be OK...If he panned out!

2nd-Meredith I like. Actually think he has the tools to be a Pro Bowl G in this league. Good enough feet to pull and good in space. Could be a solid RT but I think he would be a great RG. Would have no complaints with that pick.

3rd-I like Luigs but think that is too high for him. If I'm looking interior OL at this point and didn't get a C, I would be looking for TJ Lang. If the Steelers miss Mack, Unger, or Wood...Lang is my C for the future. I think he wins the RG spot out of camp and never looks back. A Steeler guy...

4th-If Moore lasts to the 4th...I'm with ya!

5a-Knighton pick looks good. I guess we are assuming some other names are gone (Taylor,Baker). I don't know if you gamble with this guy here, but a name I will throw out for a late round "Boom or Bust"... Vaughn Martin. A kid from Canada who transfered from Michigan State. 6'3" & change, 330 pounds. 33 on the bench, 5.0 on the 40, very athletic for a big man. Might be the only 3-4 NT left after this point in the draft. Might have to take a chance at the end of the 6th.

5b-I always look past "posession" WRs. If I'm going WR here I'm going Mike Wallace.

6th-I would be extremely surprised if the Steelers draft a FB here. A wasted pick, in my opinion, with the contract given to Mchugh and Davis on the roster. If I'm looking at this pick based on the draft here maybe I'm looking for a S or ILB. Update: I just read where Summers is on the Steelers radar. Kirby Wilson might get his guy. The Steelers brought him in for a visit after they sent 2 scouts & Wilson to his Pro-day. I guess I will be "extremely surprised" after all. Maybe Summers in the 7th.

7a-Isdaner would be a solid pick. I would also be looking for names like Cornelius Lewis, Ray Feinga, & Travis Bright if they are still on the board.

7b-Pedescleuax...I'm bias!