PDA

View Full Version : The Combine

NC Steeler Fan
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
So, what are you guys looking for the most out of the combine?

I mean, besides the best O linesmen we could target, depth at
WR, in the secondary, at nose tackle, etc.?

We hear so much about 40 times, but their are so many other field
tests for physical abilities. Do you guys put much stock in many of
them or do you look mainly at their college play and why or
why not?

Me, personally, I'm just hoping they don't put these guys in white
spandex like they did last year.... :shock: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I wonder how coaches look at the combine from the stands since everyone is dressed the same way with numbers that are assigned strictly by alphabetical order. At home on TV, there are graphics letting us know who is who at all times, but I wonder if coaches do not want to let their previous impressions of a guy cloud how they look at him at the combine. For instance, would they just write in their notebook WR27 ran excellent routes today and displayed soft hands by catching every ball thrown his way, and then later figure out who WR27 is? Or do they go in with their rosters saying something like, okay Eugene Monroe is OL29, Micheal Oher is OL34, Andre Smith is OL41, and Jason Smith is OL42...let's see which of those 4 top tackles shows the best pass blocking technique in drills.

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I wonder how coaches look at the combine from the stands since everyone is dressed the same way with numbers that are assigned strictly by alphabetical order. At home on TV, there are graphics letting us know who is who at all times, but I wonder if coaches do not want to let their previous impressions of a guy cloud how they look at him at the combine. For instance, would they just write in their notebook WR27 ran excellent routes today and displayed soft hands by catching every ball thrown his way, and then later figure out who WR27 is? Or do they go in with their rosters saying something like, okay Eugene Monroe is OL29, Micheal Oher is OL34, Andre Smith is OL41, and Jason Smith is OL42...let's see which of those 4 top tackles shows the best pass blocking technique in drills.

For their targeted guys I'm sure they go in knowing who they are.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:34 PM

For their targeted guys I'm sure they go in knowing who they are.

I would think that probably would be the case, but you may get a more impartial evaluation if you don't know that information, so your own prejudices don't sneak in (and I don't mean racial prejudices either...just seeing what you want to see and subconsciously ignoring what you don't want to see).

For example, when I grade papers and I see the name of a student who is a great all-around kid, I might subconsciously emphasize all of their good points and overlook some of their weak points in the paper, while I might subconsciously do the opposite for the kid who is constantly a pain in the butt in the classroom. Not fair, but we are human...we don't mean to do this things, but it might happen subconsciously. It wouldn't happen if each paper just had a number on it, and I did not know who the author was until after I graded it.

Similarly, a scout at the combine may focus more on a positive aspects of the workout of a guy they really like when they first scouted him on campus, and may focus more on the flaws of the workout of a guy that didn't give a good first impression on an earlier campus visit.

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I hear what you're sayin' RB...but the reason I think they make sure they know who "their guys" are and do so because they don't want to miss them.

And I agree that there is probably some prejudice involved.

But I would think the difference between the good coaches/scouts is that they can put those prejudices aside and really evaluate the player's talent...even if it means downgrading one of "their guys".

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Even though we all love the Combine, I doubt the Steeler scouts and coaches put that much emphasis on it. They don't seem to be "wowed" the same way we are with the workout warriors who post great 40 times, bench press reps, etc...

I think they look much harder at game film and probably make their choices based on that much more than a few days performing drills. Take for instance, Woodley. He was not terribly impressive at the Combine and Timmons didn't exactly post off the charts numbers either. I remember arguing that Poz had similar numbers to Timmons. But the coaches definitely saw something in the game film that they liked about Timmons and Woodley, so kudos to them for doing the work needed.

That being said, I still love reading the numbers posted at the Combine and pouring through mock drafts trying to pick the guys I want the Steelers to take. Being from SW Ohio, there was a young QB that played at Miami of Ohio and I remember telling my son during their games in 2003 that if the Steelers could get him they would finally have a great QB. So with great anticipation, I watched the 2004 NFL draft never dreaming that we could actually get Ben with our #11 pick. When Ben fell to us and we picked him, I jumped around the living room like a little kid who just got his first puppy! My son and his friend thought I was very strange. :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

Djfan
02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Being from SW Ohio, there was a young QB that played at Miami of Ohio and I remember telling my son during their games in 2003 that if the Steelers could get him they would finally have a great QB. So with great anticipation, I watched the 2004 NFL draft never dreaming that we could actually get Ben with our #11 pick. When Ben fell to us and we picked him, I jumped around the living room like a little kid who just got his first puppy! My son and his friend thought I was very strange. :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

What a great memory. That is just plain cool.

flippy
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Combine #s are overrated!

All these guys now train for the drills at the combine. I don't think it's that big a deal to see what these guys can do in shorts.

I prefer to look at what a guy did on the field in college.

What the combine will show us is how hard a guy will work to prepare. And it will give us a check that a guy's athleticism matches his football talent.

calmkiller
02-17-2009, 09:25 AM
That being said, I still love reading the numbers posted at the Combine and pouring through mock drafts trying to pick the guys I want the Steelers to take. Being from SW Ohio, there was a young QB that played at Miami of Ohio and I remember telling my son during their games in 2003 that if the Steelers could get him they would finally have a great QB. So with great anticipation, I watched the 2004 NFL draft never dreaming that we could actually get Ben with our #11 pick. When Ben fell to us and we picked him, I jumped around the living room like a little kid who just got his first puppy! My son and his friend thought I was very strange. :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

I remember doing the same thing. My mom and dad have been Steelers fans since they were kids in the 70s and I now keep them up to date on the players. My first successful pick in a draft was Heath. I told mom we would take him, and if we didnt I would be excited. The next year I told her I hope we can get Ben, I dunno if he will fall to 11 but I think he will and if he does that will be amazing. Once we did I was so excited and I ran out of my room to let her know the good news. My best Mock draft though was the year we took Timmons, & Woodley. I have 3 of the top four picks exactly right that year. I picked Timmons, Woodley, and Supalveda exactly right. I even had an online chat with Harris from the tribune the week before and week after the draft and told him I thought the steelers were targeting the Punter in the 4th. He told me it was way to high and he would be had later. I went to the next weeks chat just to gloat. :D

calmkiller
02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
As for what I look for at the combine? As a WVU season ticket holder I always like to see how the WVU guys do against all the other "Elite" competition. That is my favorite part. Secondly I look for the guys I want the Steelers to target and see how their numbers are and lastly look for someone to impress me I don't know about.

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I've heard scouts say they aren't looking for the things people think they are looking for.

For example, when it comes to QBs they aren't looking for how many completions a QB has when he's throwing. The QBs and WRs haven't had a chance to work on timing. Instead they are looking at footwork, mechanics (how he holds the ball, how high he carries it, throwing motion) and arm strength.

They do that for every position...what they are looking for is if a guy has the basic skills, mechanics and fundamentals that will translate to the NFL. They don't care how quickly a guy gets through a drill...they watch his body position, balance, etc as he runs the drill. If a guy ends up off balance or in an awkward position how quickly does he regain position and balance? Lots of bodies flying around in football...if someone hits you how quickly do you recover from that to continue doing you job?

But as we all know, it's not an exact science. Some guys excel at the combine (Mike Mamula anyone?) and turn out to be total flops.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Even though we all love the Combine, I doubt the Steeler scouts and coaches put that much emphasis on it. They don't seem to be "wowed" the same way we are with the workout warriors who post great 40 times, bench press reps, etc...

I think they look much harder at game film and probably make their choices based on that much more than a few days performing drills. Take for instance, Woodley. He was not terribly impressive at the Combine and Timmons didn't exactly post off the charts numbers either. I remember arguing that Poz had similar numbers to Timmons. But the coaches definitely saw something in the game film that they liked about Timmons and Woodley, so kudos to them for doing the work needed.

I do think that a big part of the combine is the interview process, though. Even though your time with each prospect is very limited, it can give you a glimpse at who you might want to look at more closely with one of the few visits you are allowed to bring certain guys into your facility prior to the draft. Talking to a guy face to face can give you a clue about whether or not a guy might fit into our team fabric or be a prima donna that we don't want on our draft board.

feltdizz
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM

I remember doing the same thing. My mom and dad have been Steelers fans since they were kids in the 70s and I now keep them up to date on the players. My first successful pick in a draft was Heath. I told mom we would take him, and if we didnt I would be excited. The next year I told her I hope we can get Ben, I dunno if he will fall to 11 but I think he will and if he does that will be amazing. Once we did I was so excited and I ran out of my room to let her know the good news. My best Mock draft though was the year we took Timmons, & Woodley. I have 3 of the top four picks exactly right that year. I picked Timmons, Woodley, and Supalveda exactly right. I even had an online chat with Harris from the tribune the week before and week after the draft and told him I thought the steelers were targeting the Punter in the 4th. He told me it was way to high and he would be had later. I went to the next weeks chat just to gloat. :D

My mom would always call me and ask about our drafted players and I would try to give her the best info I had available.

Is Holmes going to be a problem? Who is Ben Rothels..whatever his name is, is he any good? She also was the one who called to tell me Ben was in his accident.

She bought 4 Steeler mugs for her kids the day before she died in a car accident. Talk about a true Steeler fan.

Lebsteel
02-17-2009, 12:50 PM

My mom would always call me and ask about our drafted players and I would try to give her the best info I had available.

Is Holmes going to be a problem? Who is Ben Rothels..whatever his name is, is he any good? She also was the one who called to tell me Ben was in his accident.

She bought 4 Steeler mugs for her kids the day before she died in a car accident. Talk about a true Steeler fan.

Wow, very sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure that mug has extra special meaning for you. God Bless.

feltdizz
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Wow, very sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure that mug has extra special meaning for you. God Bless.

thanks.

NC Steeler Fan
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom feltdizz. I bet she's got a lot of Steeler fans around her for the games up in heaven.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I found a brief combine schedule. I'll be paying particular attention to the big uglies in both trenches on Saturday and Monday. I'll likely peek in at the DB's on Tuesday, but there will be little need to delve into the skill players on Sunday all that much, since I think we covered our bases pretty well with Mendenhall, Sweed, and Dixon last year.

Saturday, Feb. 21 - Group 1 (OL, K, P). Group 2 (OL), Group 3 (TE)

Sunday, Feb. 22 - Group 4 (QB, WR), Group 5 (QB, WR), Group 6 (RB)

Monday, Feb. 23 - Group 7 (DL), Group 8 (DL), Group 9 (LB)

Tuesday, Feb. 24 - Group 10 (DB), Group 11 (DB)

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Is there going to be any combine coverage on ESPN? other than sportscenter...

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Is there going to be any combine coverage on ESPN? other than sportscenter...

I think the NFL Network is covering it live the whole time.