PDA

View Full Version : Bengals: Shayne Graham "Franchise Player"

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.local12.com/content/breaking ... Ta0Tw.cspx (http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story/Bengals-Shayne-Graham-Franchise-Player/GQYXRFvXN0GCfaJioTa0Tw.cspx)

Bengals: Shayne Graham "Franchise Player"

Last Update: 4:11 pm

Kicker Shayne Graham now wears the tag of "franchise player" for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Many fans hoped that would be placed upon stand out "wide out" YJ Houshmandzadeh in an attempt to keep him in town.

The tag forces the Bengals to pay a one year salary equal to the average of the top five highest paid players at his position.

Graham has played the last six years with the Bengals and holds the franchise record for accuracy at 87.5 percent... fourth all time in the NFL...he holds 6 Bengals franchise records, including points and field goals made in a season...plus his string of 21 straight... and is second all time for career points behind Jim Breech.

papillon
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
A kicker, they franchised a kicker... :Bow I'm sure there's good reason to do this, but, since I can't think of it right now...http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

I don't know what to say it seems so ludicrous. Would this guy have commanded more in the FA period? I'm sorry...http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

I'm glad I'm a Steeler fan, of course, now they'll turn around and franchise Jared Rostovsky as the long snapper or Reed or Berger...http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Pappy

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I heard the Lions may franchise Jason Hanson too.

Two kickers franchised in one season...whoa!

Jom112
02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Idiots.

No shortage of them in our FO...

Discipline of Steel
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Dont forget 2 punters as well, Falcons and probably Raiders. All these kickers are much cheaper franchise players than some of the other positions. And look at what a bad punter can do for you...might be a smart move to retain players who excel at kicking the ball...I mean it is called football, isnt it?

SteelBucks
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Once again, the Bengals show us why they are the Bengals.

Sheesh, talk about dumb and dumber.....

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Dont forget 2 punters as well, Falcons and probably Raiders. All these kickers are much cheaper franchise players than some of the other positions. And look at what a bad punter can do for you...might be a smart move to retain players who excel at kicking the ball...I mean it is called football, isnt it?

Lechler is likely worth it. The Raiders' current punter could be the best punter the NFL has seen since the Raiders' Ray Guy. Just Punt, Baby! :lol:

snarky
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Yes but it only makes sense if there is no other player the team would like to franchise. See the term 'opportunity cost'.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-17-2009, 12:19 AM
He is the only guy who scores for their team.

NKySteeler
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
The folks on local sports-talk radio here in Cincy are blasting the decision as well... The only reasoning provided was that it saves them $$$ in the long-run, and current thinking is that both Chad and TJ will be gone next season so they need the room under the cap.... Yesterday they rated it at only 25% that those two would be back.

...As your "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher", I've been having alot of fun with this... And at least around here where I live, many of the local Bungle fans seem to have already conceded and don't have any fight left in them towards bantering about the subject... At least not at this point....

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I heard the Lions may franchise Jason Hanson too.

Two kickers franchised in one season...whoa!

Well I guess the Lions and Hanson reached an agreement today.

Mel Blount's G
02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I cannot believe they really did this. Despite whatever good business reasons they may or may not have, what kind of message does it send to your team that your franchise player is.....yer kicker? What kind of image does that portray for your football team when your franchise guy is.....yer kicker? This is awesome. I cannot find a smilie here to do justice to how amused and happy I feel. The jazz hands smilie would have come closest

Lord, that SNL skit just popped into my head and I cannot find it on youtube:

We are kickers
We kick ball
We play with ball
We kick the ball

Anyone remember that from the 80's I think where they had all these goofy looking kickers with long european or latino names tossing around footballs rather awkwardly and singing the above ditty with very bad english?

Jom112
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
The folks on local sports-talk radio here in Cincy are blasting the decision as well... The only reasoning provided was that it saves them $$$ in the long-run, and current thinking is that both Chad and TJ will be gone next season so they need the room under the cap.... Yesterday they rated it at only 25% that those two would be back.

...As your "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher", I've been having alot of fun with this... And at least around here where I live, many of the local Bungle fans seem to have already conceded and don't have any fight left in them towards bantering about the subject... At least not at this point....

The silver lining if there is any in all this is that we have some cap money to sign other players. If we resign Benson, Crocker and a FA like Jason Brown, then I won't call the tag idiotic.

Even though it makes no sense why we couldn't just sign Graham to a long term contract instead. Even the Lions got that right...

proudpittsburgher
02-17-2009, 09:10 PM

The silver lining if there is any in all this is that we have some cap money to sign other players. If we resign Benson, Crocker and a FA like Jason Brown, then I won't call the tag idiotic.

Even though it makes no sense why we couldn't just sign Graham to a long term contract instead. Even the Lions got that right...

Jom, as a long-suffering Pirates fan, I feel your pain. I don't think I'm telling you something that you don't already know in that the problems with the Bengals and Browns are organizational. As I said, I'm suffering through that as a Pirates fan.

Chadman
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
QUESTION- How do you know your team will suck next season before FA or the DRAFT?

ANSWER- Bengals: Shayne Graham "Franchise Player"

NKySteeler
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
This was from the local newspaper here in Cincy... Interesting take on thier two top WRs...
-------------------------------------------------------------

Take a pass on T.J., Chad
Bengals' best move is to part with star WRs T.J., Ocho Cinco

The Bengals should allow the circus to leave town. It wouldn't be easy to deal two wideouts for a few quality draft picks, even for two wideouts as accomplished as Chad Ocho Cinco and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. But if the club wants to get serious about changing its look and its mood, it needs to break ties with Butch and Sundance.

Sure, Doc. Are you crazy? Whom should Carson Palmer throw to next season, the side judge? Isaac Curtis is retired. So is the Woody Hayes offense.

The Bengals' offensive line is as complete as The Banks. Stacy Andrews is rehabilitating a blown knee, Levi Jones is never right. If Eric Ghiaciuc is the answer at center, what's the question?

Anthony Collins showed some of the right stuff. Nate Livings can play. Andrew Whitworth is solid. Bobbie Williams is a boulder. Draft a tackle in Round 1, a center in Round 2, keep Butch and Sundance and stop being so negative.

They're still down a tackle. They're still thin at running back, even if Cedric Benson returns. They don't rush the passer. The road to titles in the AFC North is paved with large men who can move.

I'd rather think of you, Doc, upside down and strapped to a blocking sled. The offense without Chad and T.J.?

You don't win with great wide receivers; you win by protecting the passer and rushing the passer. The Bengals were awful at both last year. If Butch and Sundance return for yet another sequel and the line doesn't improve vastly, Palmer isn't going to have time to make them (even more) famous. Palmer's not exactly moon-walking back there.

The likelihood isn't great of the Bengals trading for draft picks two aging stars who don't want to be here, but it's worth a try.

Ocho Cinco's agent, the annoying Drew Rosenhaus, is still trying to get his client gone. Rosenhaus wants to keep business behind closed doors this offseason. I guess that's why he went on the radio in Miami last week.

Houshmandzadeh has made it plain he doesn't want the Bengals' franchise tag and won't attend voluntary workouts if he gets it.

The $9.88 million tag fee for a one-year deal sounds like a lot of money, even in the Neverland of pro sports. It's not, if Houshmandzadeh gets hurt enough this year that he can't play anymore. He was there to witness franchise player Andrews blow out his knee at the end of last year. Financially, it was a potentially devastating injury. T.J. wants no part of that.

Ocho Cinco has two years left on his contract. Ownership might finally understand that No. 85's talent isn't worth the trouble, at least not here. The chance of him changing who he is might be as likely as the club getting two first-round picks for him. How would a No. 2 and, say, a No. 5 sound?

Houshmandzadeh probably wants at least a three-year deal, with a lot of bonus money. If he got what he thought was fair here, T.J. would be a huge asset to the Bengals. Most likely, he won't. The Bengals don't want to pay for that many years. They could tag him to buy negotiating time. They did that with Andrews; how did that work out?

They could tag T.J. and trade him, the smart move. They could tag him and see if the economy drags down his asking price. Or they could simply let him walk. Which is the best option?

Do you really want two of your most high-profile locker room presences unhappy with their stations in life? Do you really believe you can keep both or even one and still overhaul the O-line? The early rounds of the draft this year are crammed with quality linemen, according to the "experts." Wouldn't stockpiling choices and using them to start over on offense be a smart play?

How have Butch and Sundance helped the team win lately?

The defense is good enough to keep the Bengals in most games. The offense has gone from dynamic to dysfunctional to disastrous. Tinkering isn't what's needed. Time for Butch and Sundance to get their parting gifts and what they really want, which is outta here. It'd be best for all concerned.

Jom112
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Jom, as a long-suffering Pirates fan, I feel your pain. I don't think I'm telling you something that you don't already know in that the problems with the Bengals and Browns are organizational. As I said, I'm suffering through that as a Pirates fan.

Yeah, it's not much fun. At least I'm turning into a draft nut, so that keeps things interesting...

This was from the local newspaper here in Cincy... Interesting take on thier two top WRs...

So the new hotness in Cincy is to bash TJ and Chad. Bunch of turncoats I say.

Chad I can see why people are turning on him, but the people turning on TJ I think are a bunch of idiots. The guys is 32 and this is probably his last chance at getting a big long term contract with the uncapped year coming up. When you have players like Javon Walker getting $55 Mil, why would you not want to test FA and not be tagged? If our F.O. was offering him something then maybe, but it's reported several times that our F.O. isn't even trying to offer him a good long term deal yet.

If someone can't understand that, then they are just as dumb as the people who decided to tag Graham...