PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Garcia: My time in Tampa has ended

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=518391 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=518391)

Jeff Garcia: My time in Tampa has ended
Posted: February 16, 2009
Sporting News staff reports

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made it official, stating they do not want Jeff Garcia as their quarterback in 2009.

Bucs general manager Mark Dominik told Garcia's agent, Steve Barker, Sunday night that the team doesn't want Garcia to return for a third season, according to a St. Petersburg Times report.

"My time in Tampa has come to an end," Garcia told the newspaper. "With a new head coach, they want somebody pulling the trigger that they can mold. Beyond that, I don't know why they're making the move."

The Bucs signed quarterback Luke McCown to a two-year, $7.5-millon contract last week.

Garcia, along with fired coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen, are taking the brunt of the responsibility for the Bucs failing to make the playoffs after Tampa Bay dropped its final four games of the '08 regular season.

Garcia went 14-10 in 24 starts during the regular season with Tampa Bay the past two seasons. He has been in the NFL for 11 years, spending most of his early pro career with the San Francisco 49ers (1999-2003).

The 38-year-old quarterback told the newspaper that he believes he'll get another opportunity when the free-agent signing period begins February 27.

"I do feel like I have football life in me," Garcia said. "...I'm pretty sure there's going to be something out there for me. ... I had a great time playing in front of those fans in Tampa. We'll miss Tampa."

snarky
02-16-2009, 05:16 PM
So has the Steelers' time in Tampa. Unlike Garcia, the Steelers left Tampa as winners.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Iron Shiek
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Good one snarky.

As for Garcia...his time as a starting qb has ended too. I don't think he will land anywhere...Minnesota would probably be his only hope, but even there its sketchy.

ghettoscott
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
just throwin' it out there, but if Lefty leaves would anyone want Mrs. Garcia as a back up? Personally i woul dlike to see what Dixon can do just curious as to what others think.

Chachi
02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Has any QB gotten the shaft more than Jeff Garcia?

He's a good QB that keeps getting dumped everywhere he goes for reasons that seem out of his control.....

.....and yes.....pun intended.

:Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 09:19 PM

He's a good QB that keeps getting dumped everywhere he goes for reasons that seem out of his control.....

.....and yes.....pun intended.

:Boobs

You know T.O. would giggle at that one. :lol:

Steel Life
02-17-2009, 01:06 AM
just throwin' it out there, but if Lefty leaves would anyone want Mrs. Garcia as a back up? Personally i woul dlike to see what Dixon can do just curious as to what others think.
No - hope that helps.

Steel Life
02-17-2009, 01:10 AM

Drama finds him because he invites it, he undermines teams the way Flutie did - thinking only of his starter's minutes rather than team chemistry.

Iron Shiek
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Drama finds him because he invites it, he undermines teams the way Flutie did - thinking only of his starter's minutes rather than team chemistry.

Exactly. Dude is sort of a head case it appears. Just by the way they were talking about him on the radio, it seems he just has this personality that won't allow himself to be a backup anywhere without whining about it.

But when in there, he can be rather affective (with the right system).

I don't want him on our team.

steelblood
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I actually think Garcia would be a good backup here. First, he'd know his role and I think he'd behave himself generally. Second, he is the type of QB who can survive and thrive behind a terrible OLine. Finally, if Ben were lost for the season, I'd think a QB like Garcia could give us a shot in the playoffs (Batch - no shot). I don't want brittle Batch back.

NC Steeler Fan
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry but,....and I really don't want to be mean, but...

First of all, Garcia is too old!!!

Second, he has got to be THEE ugliest man in in the NFL, no way, no
how do I want him a Steeler!!! :shock:

feltdizz
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I actually think Garcia would be a good backup here. First, he'd know his role and I think he'd behave himself generally. Second, he is the type of QB who can survive and thrive behind a terrible OLine. Finally, if Ben were lost for the season, I'd think a QB like Garcia could give us a shot in the playoffs (Batch - no shot). I don't want brittle Batch back.

hell to the no... dude is decent but there is a reason he bounces from team to team.

stlrz d
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry but,....and I really don't want to be mean, but...

First of all, Garcia is too old!!!

Second, he has got to be THEE ugliest man in in the NFL, no way, no
how do I want him a Steeler!!! :shock:

You sure about that?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fm9cE2egTcJf/610x.jpg

I think Garcia would be a good back up as well, but he wants to be a starter.

He'll end up in Minnesota or Detroit.