PDA

View Full Version : Ravens release McAlister

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... 7052.story (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-chris-mcalister-released-216,0,927052.story)

Ravens release McAlister
Former Pro Bowl cornerback cut, saving team $8M in salary cap room

By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com
3:56 PM EST, February 16, 2009

The Ravens cut former Pro Bowl cornerback Chris McAlister today, a move that will save the team $8 million in salary cap room.

The release of McAlister was long expected because he never seemed to click with coach John Harbaugh and rehabilitated his knee away from the team after getting placed on injured reserve at the end of October.

But McAlister said he was surprised when told of the team's decision in a face-to-face meeting with general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"I'm still dealing with the shock of the whole thing," McAlister told 105.7 FM today. "I can't imagine this happened. I never thought it would happen."

Considered the prototypical cornerback, McAlister was a first-round pick by the Ravens in 1999.

McAlister, 31, was a three-time Pro Bowl defender (2003, 2004 and 2006). He was one of three remaining players from the Ravens' 2000 Super Bowl team (linebacker Ray Lewis and kicker Matt Stover were the others).

"First, we want to thank Chris for all he did for the Ravens in the past 10 years," Newsome said in a statement. "He was a major contributor to many big wins, including the Super Bowl. To play the type of defense we have used here, you have to have corners who can cover one-on-one. He was one of the best at that for us. He was physical, and he could run with the best."

McAlister, though, struggled with a knee injury the past two seasons. He missed a total of 18 games in 2007 and 2008.

"All of us who had the opportunity to coach Chris for the first time this season have an appreciation for all the good things he did for this team through the years," Harbaugh said. "He'll be remembered by us and the fans as one of the best to ever play for the Ravens. He's a tough guy and loves football. He'll play again, and he'll play well."

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Looks like this could allow them to keep both Suggs and Lewis.

papillon
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Looks like this could allow them to keep both Suggs and Lewis.

That's fine and I hope they pay Ray big money to stay.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
He is one of the few Ravens that would actually be nice to have on our roster. Do you all think he is better than Fernando Bryant?

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
He is one of the few Ravens that would actually be nice to have on our roster. Do you all think he is better than Fernando Bryant?

No. Say no to C-Mac! He can't stay healthy and quality WRs eat his lunch even when he is healthy.

NO!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Bad comparison. He would not be coming here to be our #5 CB injury replacement guy, he would only come to compete as a starter, and expect to be paid like it. So the question is really can we get better value out of him or BMac.

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I was doing some reading on the Ravens forum and many over there say he was a distraction in the locker room as well. Didn't like to play by the same rules and all that.

DBinAL
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2t3pboxc]He is one of the few Ravens that would actually be nice to have on our roster. Do you all think he is better than Fernando Bryant?

Bad comparison. He would not be coming here to be our #5 CB injury replacement guy, he would only come to compete as a starter, and expect to be paid like it. So the question is really can we get better value out of him or BMac.[/quote:2t3pboxc]

McFadden - 28 years old in November
McAllister - 32 years old in June - injured in the last 2 years

There is no discussion here. Even if BMac can't be signed, there still is no need to go after McAllister.

decleater
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
JMO but I think the Raven's will go after Bmac. I highly doubt they keep Ray Lewis unless he takes a pay cut.

DukieBoy
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Cheatriots*** need some corner help.
Maybe he'll go there.