PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans NEVER say "This guy was a bust"

Iron Shiek
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Apparently Carl Banks and Solomon Wilcotts don't come here for research. On the topic of fans being knowledgable about their teams and players. Banks said, "You never hear Steeler fans question why a certain guy was cut, why a certain guy was drafted, or proclaim a draftee as a bust." And Wilcotts blindly agreeing in the background.

It happens everywhere guys, we aren't immune. Glad to see they think we are a smart fan base though.

I just had to share this because I started laughing. When he said we don't question guys that were drafted all I could think of was a couple years ago when Colbert supposedly should've been fired for drafting Sepulveda and Spaeth. Then!...when he said we don't proclaim busts...well that just took the cake for me.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
They said "You never HEAR Steeler fans question why a certain guy was cut, why a certain guy was drafted, or proclaim a draftee as a bust."

Of course you never hear it. It is typed constantly, but never spoken. :lol:

Steeler Shades
02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
... Colbert supposedly should've been fired for drafting Sepulveda and Spaeth....
The jury is still out on both of these guys and whether they were selected too high in the draft. 8)

feltdizz
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
you never hear bust on a national level when it comes to the Steelers because seldom does one FA signing change the over all success of our team.

Bettis was huge... but it wasn't like we didn't have a reputation for running before he came.

Now every player who moves to a team is the savior or failure of the franchise.

Iron Shiek
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
No doubt SS...I think they are good role players at minimum though (can a punter be a role player? I guess so...).

I just used that as an example of the first thing coming to mind when during the draft the Trib pretty much shut down with "WE PICKED A TE!!!?!???!? WTF" threads going up at a rate of a thread/1.2 seconds. :)

feltdizz
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":8pghpm32]... Colbert supposedly should've been fired for drafting Sepulveda and Spaeth....
The jury is still out on both of these guys and whether they were selected too high in the draft. 8)[/quote:8pghpm32]

Sep should pay off IMO.. but Spaeth.. while he has decent hands he is a terrible run blocker.
I will admit.. when Miller was out, Spaeth filled in and didn't miss a beat.

Jooser
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Bustamalu!!! :lol:

anger 82&95
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I STILL complain about the Aaron Jones pick that occurred in 1988!

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":2p8j4car]... Colbert supposedly should've been fired for drafting Sepulveda and Spaeth....
The jury is still out on both of these guys and whether they were selected too high in the draft. 8)[/quote:2p8j4car]

A player who you want is never taken too high if you think he isn't going to be there when you pick next. In the case of both Sepulveda and Spaeth if we had waited until our next pick on either I doubt if they would have been there.

If you like a player for your team your take him when he is available. The nonsense that certain players are rated in certain rounds is ridiculous.

Steeler Shades
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":1kc4biph]... Colbert supposedly should've been fired for drafting Sepulveda and Spaeth....
The jury is still out on both of these guys and whether they were selected too high in the draft. 8)A player who you want is never taken too high if you think he isn't going to be there when you pick next. [/quote:1kc4biph]
I think that is a rather broad generalization. Just because a player "might" not be there when you pick next doesn't mean that other players at ANY position might not contribute more to your team. The Steelers have a long history of selecting BPA and not "locking in" on a specific player or position. Giving two draft picks for a punter, or selecting Spaeth with a 3rd round pick might have been mistakes.....IMHO. However the jury is still out on both of them. 8)