PDA

View Full Version : #32 overall.

WoodleyofTroy
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
After looking at exactly 105 mocks, this is the consensus going into the combine:

Alex Mack C California (28)
Duke Robinson G Oklahoma (21)
Max Unger OL Oregon (18)
William Beatty OT Connecticut (8)
Eben Britton OT Arizona (7)
Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma (5)
Tyson Jackson DE LSU (4)
Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest (4)
Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina (4)
Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech (2)
William Moore FS Missouri
D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
Brian Cushing LB USC
Clint Sintim OLB Virginia

Number one on my wish list for 32 overall.
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1029/ncf_g_unger_300.jpg&usg=AFQjCNF3pBpb5_lI7KLsID-VjJuDPS3A9Q

"The New" Max Unger C/G/T Oregon - I remember first watching this guy when the Ducks were in the National Championship race with Dennis Dixon, that was before Todd McShay had him going #22 overall to the Minnesota Vikings immediately after the 2008 Draft for his first 2009 published mock. He had more hype than Alex Mack going into last season, with both returning to school. His versatility could allow the Steelers to move Offensive Llineman around for a better fit and utilize later draft picks in other areas. He's a franchise guy you can build around. At 6'5'', he'd fit in anywhere. Not only is this a much needed pick, he could very well be BPA as well. I just hope after the combine he doesn't turn into the next Branden Albert, putting us out of reach again. This guy has it all.

Comparison: Logan Mankins, New England Patriots.

Strengths: Arms are as long as vines, with a strong frame and good bulk ... Athletic lineman ... Does a great job of finishing blocks ... Nasty attitude ... Smart and a great leader for Oregon ... Displays sound footwork ... Mobile and gets to the second level ... Can fit the zone-blocking scheme like a glove ... Versatile enough to play every position on the offensive line ... Maintains a sound base in pass protection ... Experience at multiple positions.

Steel Life
02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll stay with Mack, the kid could be a Pro-Bowler at two spots (LG, C).

WoodleyofTroy
02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I'll stay with Mack, the kid could be a Pro-Bowler at two spots (LG, C).
Alex Mack C California 6'5'' 316
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/54/546449.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEvXiTBD_H7Zwck7HnenY9DaDFq2g
An even higher rated prospect than Nick Mangold. That value at #32 is without question on the same playing field as Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller were. Same type of pick. Same type of result. People compare him to Mangold, I'll go even higher, with Alan Faneca. Whether that is at Left Guard or Center, he'll dominate in both the running game and in pass protection for the next decade.

Strengths: Rare size with great lower body strength, long arms and solid bulk ... Tenacious run blocker and is a finisher ... Consistent motor ... Very smart ... Solid athlete and can get to the second level ... Has the power to anchor against larger nose tackles ... Is the leader and anchor you want for your line ... Makes correct line calls and is a solid communicator ... Gets out of stance quickly ... Uses hands well; can lock on ... Nice awareness in pass protection ... Can play guard.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I would be happy with either Unger or Mack. I DO NOT want the Steelers to take Duke Robinson though.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I think the Steelers are already impressed with Mack's talents, and once they interview him at the combine next weekend, they could fall in love with the kid when they realize how smart he is as well. They may not want to risk the chance that he does not fall to us at #32. I foresee a similar trade to the one we made the last time we were defending Super Bowl Champs (moving up from 32 to 25 to get Santonio). Miami has that #25 pick this year, and Parcells treasures early draft picks...they already have two 2nd round picks, so if we made the same trade we made with the Giants three years ago, it would net the Dolphins two picks in rounds 3 and 4 as well. Perhaps we can get an extra 6th rounder out of them if we give them our 1st, 3rd, and 4th, or maybe they would do it for a 1st, 3rd, and 5th instead. We'll see. I want to get a spot in front of rival Baltimore, since I worry that they might go for Mack if they put all of their eggs in the Suggs and Lewis baskets, thereby losing starting center Jason Brown to free agency.

grotonsteel
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I would be happy with either Unger or Mack. I DO NOT want the Steelers to take Duke Robinson though.

Can Max Unger handle the big 3-4 NT in Steelers Div? He is a jack of all trade master of none. Steelers normally go with versatile O-linemen though.

Any particular reason why you don't want Steelers to draft Duke? Character issues? I think Run Game will improve vastly with Duke as LG.I think Duke is a dominating run blocker and the best guard going into combine.

stlrz d
02-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Dude, are you Benny2112?

How many mock draft threads do you plan on starting?

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
This is the most interesting comment about Unger that we need to pay attention to

Can fit the zone-blocking scheme like a glove

If we are staying with that we need to get players that are better at it. Kemo isn't. Colon isn't.

Personally, I'd like Tyson Jackson but OL might be inevitable if we can't resign Starks.

MaxAMillion
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I pray we don't trade a draft choice to move up in round 1. We have several needs and I would like to get 4 players in the top 100 if possible. I like Mack a lot, but Unger is pretty close in talent. The Steelers should see either Unger or Mack avaiable at 32 so there is no need to move up.

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I pray we don't trade a draft choice to move up in round 1. We have several needs and I would like to get 4 players in the top 100 if possible. I like Mack a lot, but Unger is pretty close in talent. The Steelers should see either Unger or Mack avaiable at 32 so there is no need to move up.

I agree. I hate giving away picks particularly is we aren't getting a "playmaker." OL is not a playmaker. Stay at #32 and we will get what we need.

WoodleyofTroy
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
This is the most interesting comment about Unger that we need to pay attention to

If we are staying with that we need to get players that are better at it. Kemo isn't. Colon isn't.

This is where I hope Tomlin and Colbert don't put "scheme" ahead of talent. I see a lot of Steelers fans on other boards (not you Oviedo) thinking he doesn't fit our Line saying its a bad pick because he's more of a zone blocker, in other words, he's too good at pass protection. lol let's just bring in another lazy overweight run blocker and let Ben continue to lead the league in sacks since joining the league. I find it hard to believe the Steelers will continue with this approach.

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM

This is where I hope Tomlin and Colbert don't put "scheme" ahead of talent. I see a lot of Steelers fans on other boards (not you Oviedo) thinking he doesn't fit our Line saying its a bad pick because he's more of a zone blocker, in other words, he's too good at pass protection. lol let's just bring in another lazy overweight run blocker and let Ben continue to lead the league in sacks since joining the league. I find it hard to believe the Steelers will continue with this approach.

I agree. Our problems with Ben being on his back were Kemo, Stapleton and Colon all of whom are better run blockers than pass blockers. We will not scale back on the number of pass plays that are called therefore we had better get some OL who can actually pass block well.

WoodleyofTroy
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree. Our problems with Ben being on his back were Kemo, Stapleton and Colon all of whom are better run blockers than pass blockers. We will not scale back on the number of pass plays that are called therefore we had better get some OL who can actually pass block well.

Yup, and with the way Ben plays, a guy like Unger who is use to moving up and down the field in space at Oregon in the spread, although not the "steeler" way in terms of an Offensive Line, he'd fit right in with Roethlisberger. It's time the front office figures this out.

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Yup, and with the way Ben plays, a guy like Unger who is use to moving up and down the field in space at Oregon in the spread, although not the "steeler" way in terms of an Offensive Line, he'd fit right in with Roethlisberger. It's time the front office figures this out.

The "Steelers Way" should be winning. I could care less if it is with a 270lb battering ram RB or a 185lb WR. Once could argue that given the rules the latter is the more effective in the NFL now.

flippy
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd rather see us go DLine, CB, or WR in the first round.

papillon
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Can someone list the round and draft order for the Steelers picks? That is, 1.32; 2.64; 3.96; etc.

Pappy

grotonsteel
02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I am not sure if it is official. The list is from another board:

1.32-
2.64-
3.96-
3.97-
4.128-
5.160-
6.192-
7.209-
7.224-

grotonsteel
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Steelers signed DL Jordan Reffett.

They have S Paxson, Kyle Clement and Jordan Reffett. I don't think Steelers are looking to draft a D-Line in 1st Rd.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I am not sure if it is official. The list is from another board:

1.32-
2.64-
3.96-
3.97-
4.128-
5.160-
6.192-
7.209-
7.224-

Well, the NFL has not announced the compsatory picks yet, so the second 3rd rounder is not official. But the rest are correct as it stands now...we have the last regular pick in every round, plus Tampa's pick in the middle of the 7th round. The picks in rounds 4-7 will get pushed back a bit once comp picks are announced for all teams at the ends of rounds 3-7, though.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Steelers signed DL Jordan Reffett.

They have S Paxson, Kyle Clement and Jordan Reffett. I don't think Steelers are looking to draft a D-Line in 1st Rd.

They were all recent undrafted free agents. They won't make a difference about whether or not we use an early round pick as a potential future replacement for our aging d-lineman.