PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cards name Davis D-coordinator

costanza2k1
02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3908931

Report: Cards name Davis D-coordinator
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

The Arizona Cardinals have promoted linebackers coach Bill Davis to defensive coordinator, KTAR-Radio in Phoenix reported.

According to the ESPN affiliate's report, the possibility that Davis would be a candidate for other openings such as the defensive coordinator job with the Kansas City Chiefs factored heavily into the decision for coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Davis was the San Francisco 49ers' defensive coordinator for two seasons before joining the Cardinals when Whisenhunt was hired two years ago.

The Cardinals fired former defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast earlier this month, less than a week after Arizona lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.

The Cardinals ranked 19th in the NFL in overall defense in the regular season, giving up 331.5 yards per game. They were 22nd in pass defense and 16th against the run.

The defense struggled in blowout losses to Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England late in the regular season, but stepped up in the playoffs, shutting down the powerful running games of Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia in the run to the Super Bowl.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Flasteel
02-15-2009, 03:22 PM
This was just posted on PFT about the situation:

WHISENHUNT DIDNíT WANT CLANCY
Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2009, 1:20 p.m.
The surprise decision of the Cardinals to part ways with defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast really wasnít much of a surprise for folks within the organization.

As we hear it, coach Ken Whisenhunt didnít want to keep Pendergast when Whisenhunt became the head coach in 2007. But Pendergastís ongoing presence was regarded as a dealbreaker by the franchise.

So why did Whisenhunt finally get his way? Taking the team to the Super Bowl apparently gives a guy a lot of juice, and Whisenhunt used some of it to make a move on Pendergast.

Though some believe that Pendgergastís contract had expired, itís believed that he was signed for at least one more year.

The next question is whether the teamís success will result in a new contract for Whisenhunt. Currently, the two-year head coach is signed through 2010, with a team option for 2011.

Now I realize that there is the overwhelmingly likelihood that we are not making a move with Arians this offseason but I wonder how much, if any, of this exists with Tomlin. He inherited Arians and our ownership may have wanted some continuity with the coaching staff in regards to Ben's continued development.

I love how he pared down the playbook, involved Ben, and basically customized everything with him but I think it's well documented, at least on here, how little I have regarded BA's effort since then. I'm through begging for his release and I am placated to some degree with the Super Bowl victory. That said, I'm hoping he is on thin ice for next season.

I want us to do well and if through some mix of Arians adapting and the players executing under him, then cool, I'm down with him staying put. If we remain static in our efficiency/ production with the same old issues, then I hope some part of Mike Tomlin wants to get rid of the coach he inherited and target his own guy.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Tomlin inherited Bruce Arians...but NOT as offensive coordinator. That was an EMPTY spot after Whisenhunt bolted for the Cardinals. Tomlin CHOSE to make Arians his OC. Completely DIFFERENT from the Pendergast situation.

Flasteel
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Tomlin inherited Bruce Arians...but NOT as offensive coordinator. That was an EMPTY spot after Whisenhunt bolted for the Cardinals. Tomlin CHOSE to make Arians his OC. Completely DIFFERENT from the Pendergast situation.

Correct and I thought of that, but if ownership wanted continuity with the coaching then BA represented the only guy on the staff with experience calling plays in the league. I realize it's different and there is obviously a good working relationship enjoyed between them, but he still inherited Arians.

Please let me enjoy some slim possibility that there is another factor at play that which won't cause Tomlin to hold on to Arians beyond his natural expiration date. :stirpot

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-15-2009, 11:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3908931

Report: Cards name Davis D-coordinator
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

The Arizona Cardinals have promoted linebackers coach Bill Davis to defensive coordinator, KTAR-Radio in Phoenix reported.

According to the ESPN affiliate's report, the possibility that Davis would be a candidate for other openings such as the defensive coordinator job with the Kansas City Chiefs factored heavily into the decision for coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Davis was the San Francisco 49ers' defensive coordinator for two seasons before joining the Cardinals when Whisenhunt was hired two years ago.

The Cardinals fired former defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast earlier this month, less than a week after Arizona lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.

The Cardinals ranked 19th in the NFL in overall defense in the regular season, giving up 331.5 yards per game. They were 22nd in pass defense and 16th against the run.

The defense struggled in blowout losses to Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England late in the regular season, but stepped up in the playoffs, shutting down the powerful running games of Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia in the run to the Super Bowl.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I guess that means Bad Word LeBeau is staying in Pittsburgh ... :wink:

feltdizz
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Correct and I thought of that, but if ownership wanted continuity with the coaching then BA represented the only guy on the staff with experience calling plays in the league. I realize it's different and there is obviously a good working relationship enjoyed between them, but he still inherited Arians.

Please let me enjoy some slim possibility that there is another factor at play that which won't cause Tomlin to hold on to Arians beyond his natural expiration date. :stirpot

I know you hate BA but he isn't going anywhere... Tomlin made him OC and we have a SB victory.. look at our schedule next year too, he will look good next year.

Oviedo
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I wonder if this is an indication that Butler has been told he will be LeBeau's replacement when he retires. Last week indications were that Butler was a target of the Cards. maybe he told them no thanks I have a better deal shaping up in P-bugh