PDA

View Full Version : Players that the Steelers maybe watching at Combine

Oviedo
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
List from SteelCityInsider article. I think they got the most frequently mentioned names. Interesting is that no LT is mentioned. I would guess insider information is that they don't believe that they have any chance to get one. IMO that means Starks will be back either with a new contract or franchised. Again Hills is the wildcard.

Guards:
Tyronne Green
Andy Levitre
Kraig Urbik

Center/Guard conversions:
Alex Mack
Eric Wood
Antoine Caldwell

Right Tackle:
Eben Britton (LT capable)
Phil Loadholt
Fenuki Tupou

Rush/34 DE:
Tyson Jackson
Jarron Gilbert
Ricky Jean-Francois
Kyle Moore
Zach Potter

Cover-3/Nickle Corner:
Darius Butler
Macho Harris
Jairus Byrd
Asher Allen
Jerraud Powers

Slot Receiver:
Mike Thomas
Deon Butler
Sammie Stroughter

Hines 2.0:
Hakeem Nicks
Juaquin Iglesias
Brandon Gibson
Mohammed Massaquoi

papillon
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Man, getting Britton or Jackson at 1.32 would be the coup of the century for the Steelers. I personally believe they will both be gone at 1.32, but, if one of them would make it that far, you have to think that's the selection.

Papillon

Oviedo
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Man, getting Britton or Jackson at 1.32 would be the coup of the century for the Steelers. I personally believe they will both be gone at 1.32, but, if one of them would make it that far, you have to think that's the selection.

Papillon

Jackson is my preferred pick at 1.32 but I do think he will be gone. I'm not so sure that Britton is gone and I'm even less sure that I would take him. Probably just ignorance on my part but I don't like one year wonders in Round 1. I also think the interior of the OL is weaker than OT.

Lebsteel
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Hmmm....no Max Unger at C/G??

papillon
02-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Papillon

Jackson is my preferred pick at 1.32 but I do think he will be gone. I'm not so sure that Britton is gone and I'm even less sure that I would take him. Probably just ignorance on my part but I don't like one year wonders in Round 1. I also think the interior of the OL is weaker than OT.

I don't follow enough college football to know he's a one year wonder, but, from what I've read by scouts and coaches he's the real deal for the NFL. And, of course, I always take into account the "Steeler way". No matter how much we believe the o-line is pathetic the Steelers simply don't make changes to make changes. Whoever they draft will not see a lot of playing time next year (sans injuries). So, the draft choice is going to be a Polamalu, Holmes, Sweed, Timmons developmental project for the future.

If the coaches and scouts believe he has waht it takes then I also have faith in the Steelers to draft him and make him into an NFL lineman. I guess I'm drinking the koolaid on the Steeler way these days, it seems to be working rather well lately. :Beer

Pappy

Oviedo
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Papillon

I don't follow enough college football to know he's a one year wonder, but, from what I've read by scouts and coaches he's the real deal for the NFL. And, of course, I always take into account the "Steeler way". No matter how much we believe the o-line is pathetic the Steelers simply don't make changes to make changes. Whoever they draft will not see a lot of playing time next year (sans injuries). So, the draft choice is going to be a Polamalu, Holmes, Sweed, Timmons developmental project for the future.

If the coaches and scouts believe he has waht it takes then I also have faith in the Steelers to draft him and make him into an NFL lineman. I guess I'm drinking the koolaid on the Steeler way these days, it seems to be working rather well lately. :Beer

Pappy

We have opinions, the Steelers coaches and front office have informed opinions. Big difference. I agree that whoever they take will not suck even though many of this board will claim that they do, e.g. Troy, Santonio, Timmons and this year's whipping boys: Sweed and Davis

papillon
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Papillon

Pappy

We have opinions, the Steelers coaches and front office have informed opinions. Big difference. I agree that whoever they take will not suck even though many of this board will claim that they do, e.g. Troy, Santonio, Timmons and this year's whipping boys: Sweed and Davis

Exactly, you'd think that fans would take notice that when Steeler players do finally see the field that they aren't lost or over matched. Hmmm, ya think a year of watching and learning helps? Nah, it's just dumb luck.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Also no Duke Robinson, William Beatty, Fili Moala... :?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Agreed. I figured he would be right up there as one of the guys they keep an eye on. Also, why no NT listed? Casey is nearing the end and at this point I don't know if his pay = his play. We need to get younger on the Dline for sure.

Lebsteel
02-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Yea, good point, I didn't even think about the absence of Robinson. I have read he has a few attitude and issues with taking plays off, so maybe they want no part of him. Beatty might be too much of a project and they have that in Hills, but I would have the Moala would have been a great 2nd round pick if still there. But then again, how much does SteelCityInsider really know for sure?

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Yea, good point, I didn't even think about the absence of Robinson. I have read he has a few attitude and issues with taking plays off, so maybe they want no part of him. Beatty might be too much of a project and they have that in Hills, but I would have the Moala would have been a great 2nd round pick if still there. But then again, how much does SteelCityInsider really know for sure?

The last I heard, Wexell was there, and he is usually pretty informed. However, it's not like the team is only going to be focused in on a couple of dozen guys at the combine and ignore the rest, though. We'll have scouts there eyeing up pretty much everybody.

Steel Life
02-13-2009, 09:56 PM

I would venture a guess to say that they aren't in consideration because...
- Unger: His drive blocking is suspect?
- Robinson: He's the Michellin Man in waiting & can't pass protect?
- Beatty: Is too light & isn't a road grader type?
- Moala: An over-aged prospect with a history of legal trouble?

WoodleyofTroy
02-14-2009, 12:21 AM

I would venture a guess to say that they aren't in consideration because...
- Unger: His drive blocking is suspect?
- Robinson: He's the Michellin Man in waiting & can't pass protect?
- Beatty: Is too light & isn't a road grader type?
- Moala: An over-aged prospect with a history of legal trouble?

No I think they'll all be brought in, which is what actually matters. Who they'll be watching makes no sense since they should be watching everybody.