PDA

View Full Version : LB Foote denies he wants to be a Lion

fordfixer
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
LB Foote denies he wants to be a Lion

http://www.freep.com/article/20090212/B ... +be+a+Lion (http://www.freep.com/article/20090212/BLOG21/90212045/LB+Foote+denies+he+wants+to+be+a+Lion)

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • Free Press Sports Writer • February 12, 2009

Steelers linebacker Larry Foote denies he wants to play for his hometown Lions, despite what his friend, Brian Blackburn, told the Free Press before the Super Bowl.
Advertisement

“It would be ludicrous for me to say I want to leave my last year,” Foote told the Pittsburgh Review-Tribune. “It would be stupid to even want to do that. The bottom line is, in 2002, the Lions had a chance to draft me. They chose not to. The Steelers did.”

Foote, who played at Detroit Pershing and Michigan, was drafted in the fourth round, 128th overall. He has a year left on his contract with the Steelers, but his role has been reduced and he has said he does not want to take a pay cut.

Before the Steelers’ victory over the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII, Blackburn told the Free Press: “He wants to come back here. This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that.”

Blackburn was the offensive and defensive line coach and ran the weight room at Pershing when Foote was a student there. They still lift together occasionally in the off-season and keep in touch throughout the year.

He said Foote told him of his future plans the last time they spoke. Told it is hard to believe that any NFL player, especially one playing for a Super Bowl participant, wants to play for the Lions, Blackburn laughed.

“He does,’’ Blackburn said. “He’ll take it. He wants to get something set up in the Detroit area for inner-city kids. He’s got a real desire to work with kids. As a matter of fact, I tried to get him to come to my son’s school at Warren Cousino and speak to the kids, and he said, ‘I’ve got to go in the city first and speak to them.’ ”

Foote also told Blackburn that he wants to coach, but not at the college or pro level.

“He wants to coach Pershing,’’ Blackburn said.

Foote told the Review-Tribune: “That was one of my boys just talking stupid stuff in the paper. I think all players say that toward the tail end: ‘I'll just end up going home and finish up there.’ But that was just talk.”

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told reporters he expects Foote to return in 2009.

Asked about potential free agency in 2010, Foote told the Review-Tribune:

“Would somebody want me? I don’t know. I’ve never been a free agent. I’ve never been on the market. I don’t know if the Lions even want me.”

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Starting LB on a Superbowl winning team sez: "Jeez, I don't even know if someone would want me.."

THAT is what I call humility.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Starting LB on a Superbowl winning team sez: "Jeez, I don't even know if someone would want me.."

THAT is what I call humility.

Certainly not that winless team with the 32nd ranked defense. Nope, they couldn't use him. Hey, Lions! That Detroit-Pittsburgh pipeline flows one-way, beeyotches!!! :lol:

buckeyehoppy
02-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Let's see:

I'm a starting LB on the Pittsburgh Steelers and have two Super Bowl rings during my tenure.

The team from my hometown hasn't won an NFL regular season game since 2007.

Pittsburgh Steeler or Detroit Lion? Steeler = winner and likely SB participant. Lion = laughingstock of the NFL...

...gee, the choice seems logical, doesn't it?

Discipline of Steel
02-13-2009, 03:11 AM
In other words, he wants to finish his football career in Detroit but he could smack his donkey friend for telling the press. Now he has to backtrack on his statements so the Steelers dont think hes not motivated to play again next year.

pfelix73
02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I doubt he really wants to play for the Lions. Why? He has 1 more year in Pittsburgh, then he can shop for the $. Hometown or $? Yea right.

feltdizz
02-13-2009, 12:26 PM
In other words, he wants to finish his football career in Detroit but he could smack his donkey friend for telling the press. Now he has to backtrack on his statements so the Steelers dont think hes not motivated to play again next year.

I bet is it was a dream of his to play for the Lions..
when Barry Sanders was there.

I think this is no different then a Super Bowl winning NFL HC who had dreams of coaching for his college... it's a dream but the reality is much sweeter.

I could also see Foote saying this when he thought Timmons would replace him.