PDA

View Full Version : Our 2009 Opponents Offensive and Defensive stats

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistic ... &year=2008 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008)

Average offensive ranking of the teams we played this year:
- regular season only: 15.7 of 32 teams
- regular season and post season: 14.9 of 32 teams
- post season only: 11 of 32 teams

Average defensive ranking of the teams we played this year:
- regular season only: 11.7 of 32 teams
- regular season and post season: 12.2 of 32 teams
- post season only: 15.3 of 32 teams

Raw Data

Team----------------------- Offensive Ranking -------------------- Defensive Ranking

Regular Season Teams
Texans----------------------------------- 3 --------------------------------- 22
Browns --------------------------------------- 31---------------------------------- 26
Eagles-------------------------------------- 9 ---------------------------------- 3
Ravens------------------------------------ 18 --------------------------------- 2
Jags-------------------------------------- 20-------------------------------- 17
Bengals----------------------------------- 32------------------------------------ 12
Giants------------------------------------ 7------------------------------------ 5
Redskins----------------------------------- 19------------------------------------ 4
Colts ------------------------------------- 15---------------------------------- 11
Chargers ------------------------------- 11-------------------------------- 5
Pats------------------------------------ 5---------------------------------- 10
Cowboys--------------------------------- 13----------------------------------- 8
Titans ---------------------------------- 21------------------------------- 7

Teams We Played
Only in the
Playoffs

Cards----------------------------------- 4-------------------------------------- 19

This site had Steelers #1 in D, #22 in O.

Some observations:

1) Many teams had wide spreads between their offensive and defensive rankings (Texans, e.g. - #3 in O, #22 in D), but perhaps none as wide as ours (#1, #22).

2) Our opponents were a little better in defensive ranking than offensive ranking. But neither were off the charts, each was right around the average of the league.

3) The Cards D was actually worse than the average D we played this year. That was the main contributor to the fact that our offense actually had an easier time statistically in the playoffs than the regular season.

4) Formatting posts sucks on message boards.

5) :brownssuck

6) :bungalssuck

There we go!

D Rock
02-13-2009, 03:07 AM
our offense played against the #2-11 defenses in the NFL, with the exception of #9.

I think that may have had something to do with any struggles they supposedly had. Maybe. :wink:

Discipline of Steel
02-13-2009, 03:14 AM
If you take our games out from the other teams offensive averages, they would have been a little better I think. Especially Cleveland hahaha

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Good points, both!

I should add here that the averages I typed are hand-calculated by me from the raw data at the web site - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistic ... &year=2008 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008) - not guaranteed to be free from math errors!

Steeler Shades
02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

Some observations:

1) Many teams had wide spreads between their offensive and defensive rankings (Texans, e.g. - #3 in O, #22 in D), but perhaps none as wide as ours (#1, #22).

2) Our opponents were a little better in defensive ranking than offensive ranking. But neither were off the charts, each was right around the average of the league.

3) The Cards D was actually worse than the average D we played this year. That was the main contributor to the fact that our offense actually had an easier time statistically in the playoffs than the regular season.
Excellent work SASF!!! Thank you for putting this together. 8)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

Some observations:

Excellent work SASF!!! Thank you for putting this together. 8)

You're welcome, I kind of wanted to know also.

I would like to see (as mentioned above) how the Steeler's opponents looked when they played the other teams in the league, in other words, after subracting out their performance against the Steelers. I think that would give us a better idea of how we performed against the rest of the league than looking at numbers that include their performance against us. But that is just too much work to do!

LasVegasGuy
02-13-2009, 03:32 PM
our offense played against the #2-11 defenses in the NFL, with the exception of #9.

I think that may have had something to do with any struggles they supposedly had. Maybe. :wink:

No Arians might have had something to do with the struggles we had then you sprinkle in FWP and it's no wonder this offense moved at all.

MeetJoeGreene
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I was surprised that Houston's offense was that high.

I was also surprised that Washington's Defenses was that high.

Looking at that chart it really validates the fact that:
:brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM

They drop down to 17th using PPG as a criteria, rather than #3 using YPG.

Interestingly, Washington's D looks pretty good whether using YPG (#4) or PPG (#6). I guess that means they probably do have a decent D.

Thank goodness for the "easy" first 5 games of the season this year to let us get at least almost competitive offensively before the tough part of our schedule!

papillon
02-13-2009, 04:59 PM

No Arians might have had something to do with the struggles we had then you sprinkle in FWP and it's no wonder this offense moved at all.

:wft No offensive line problems? :stirpot :stirpot

:moon :P

I couldn't resist

Pappy

feltdizz
02-13-2009, 05:08 PM

They drop down to 17th using PPG as a criteria, rather than #3 using YPG.

Interestingly, Washington's D looks pretty good whether using YPG (#4) or PPG (#6). I guess that means they probably do have a decent D.

Thank goodness for the "easy" first 5 games of the season this year to let us get at least almost competitive offensively before the tough part of our schedule!

yeah... those first five games saved our season.. sike!

Steeler Shades
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
.. sike!
:?:
Psyche?
8)