PDA

View Full Version : Three "Ryan Clark" type options at CB and OL for FA

BigRob
02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Three players I really want the FO to look at for Free Agency. These three players are Ryan Clark type signings. Meaning, your getting a good player for a good price.

Eric King CB (Tennessee Titans):

When Nick Harper went down with an injury this year, it wasn't Chris Carr they turned to replace him. King was the first CB on the field in nickel and dime situations and was a capable replacement for Nick Harper until a broken arm ended King's season.

Daven Holly CB (Cleveland Browns):

This guy was good for the browns. Losing him is a big reason their secondary suffered this year. He was penciled in as a starter for them this year until a mini-camp injury ended his season. The good news is that he has had more than ample time to recover and will be fully healed by training camp. Don't sleep on this guy.

Daniel Loper RT/RG (Tennessee Titans):

He was the top back-up at right guard and right tackle for Tennesse. He was behind two pro bowl tackles in Michael Roos and David Stewart. Loper is looking for an opportunity to start and has been coached for four years by Mike Munchek. He is better than Colon at right tackle. He is also better than Stapleton and Simmons at right guard.

Check em out.

steelblood
02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Great idea for a post. These are Steelers type FA signings. Thanks very much.

I have never seen Loper play. Has he had any starts in his career?

pfelix73
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice opinions. Are you a coach?

Oviedo
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Great detective work.

I'd really like to see Loper in a Steelers uniform.

What do you think about Leigh Bodden??? Worth a chance at a team friendly deal?? I only bring it up because I think the extension of harrison guarantees McFadden leave town. You can only have so much of your salary cap tied up on the defensive side of the ball and we will need to resign Woodley next year at the latest.

BigRob
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Loper has started at least 4 or 5 games. He is a better RT/RG than we currently have.

Leigh Bodden is an option, but I would be concerned about his declining play since 2005 every year.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Loper has started at least 4 or 5 games. He is a better RT/RG than we currently have.

Leigh Bodden is an option, but I would be concerned about his declining play since 2005 every year.

NFL.com says that he was deactivated for his entire rookie season in 05, he was active for 8 games his second year in the league, and was active for all 16 games the last two seasons, but he did not start any regular season games at all during his 4 years in Tennessee. He is listed as the Titans' primary backup at both RT and LT behind David Stewart and Pro Bowler Michael Roos, respectively. He is also listed as the 3rd string RG behind Jake Scott and LeRoy Harris.

WoodleyofTroy
02-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Offensive Tackles

1. Jordan Gross Carolina
2. Marc Colombo Dallas
3. Vernon Carey Miami
4. Mark Tauscher Green Bay
5. Stacey Andrews Cincinnati
6. Jon Stinchcomb New Orleans
7. Jon Runyan Philadelphia
8. Khalif Barnes Jacksonville
9. Marvel Smith Pittsburgh
10. William Thomas Philadelphia
11. Max Starks Pittsburgh
12. George Foster Detroit
13. Ray Willis Seattle
14. Kirk Chambers Buffalo
15. Elton Brown Arizona
16. Daniel Loper Tennessee
17. Trai Essex Pittsburgh
18. Frank Omiyale Carolina
19. Fred Miller Chicago
20. Marcus Johnson Minnesota
21. Brandon Gorin St. Louis

Loper is 16th on that list, 1 spot ahead of Trai Essex. Not that rankings are that important, but I don't see how you can go out of your way to say that he's better than almost all of our OL.

BigRob
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Offensive Tackles

1. Jordan Gross Carolina
2. Marc Colombo Dallas
3. Vernon Carey Miami
13. Ray Willis Seattle
15. Elton Brown Arizona
19. Fred Miller Chicago

Loper is 16th on that list, 1 spot ahead of Trai Essex. Not that rankings are that important, but I don't see how you can go out of your way to say that he's better than almost all of our OL.

Its easy when you know he's been coached for 4 years by the best OL coah in the league in Mike Munchek. Secondly, I have seen Essex, Loper, Simmons, Colon and Stapleton all play. He is better than all of them. Colon could be a great guard, but we seem to refuse to move him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Offensive Tackles

1. Jordan Gross Carolina
2. Marc Colombo Dallas
3. Vernon Carey Miami
13. Ray Willis Seattle
15. Elton Brown Arizona
19. Fred Miller Chicago

Loper was drafted 2 rounds later than Essex in the '05 draft...and Trai has 4 games of starting experience in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Offensive Tackles

1. Jordan Gross Carolina
2. Marc Colombo Dallas
3. Vernon Carey Miami
13. Ray Willis Seattle
15. Elton Brown Arizona
19. Fred Miller Chicago

Its easy when you know he's been coached for 4 years by the best OL coah in the league in Mike Munchek. Secondly, I have seen Essex, Loper, Simmons, Colon and Stapleton all play. He is better than all of them. Colon could be a great guard, but we seem to refuse to move him.

Mike Munchak is a Scranton native from up in my area. They named the street where they built the new Scranton High School "Mike Munchak Way." The Hall of Famer receives many props from those in his hometown.

phillyesq
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Offensive Tackles

1. Jordan Gross Carolina
2. Marc Colombo Dallas
3. Vernon Carey Miami
13. Ray Willis Seattle
15. Elton Brown Arizona
19. Fred Miller Chicago

Loper was drafted 2 rounds later than Essex in the '05 draft...and Trai has 4 games of starting experience in the NFL.

I've never seen Loper play, but I wouldn't rely on draft status to compare the two. Essex was considered a huge reach in the third.