PDA

View Full Version : If things aren't going our way in the 1st round...

WoodleyofTroy
02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
If things are starting to go bad in the first round, Tyson Jackson to the Jets, Alex Mack to the Cardinals, etc. (i.e. leaving a bunch of WR's and RB's and QB's to chose from), would you guys rather stay put and draft a Phil Loadholt/Jamon Meredith, or franchise Max Starks for a year, and trade the 1st round pick altogether, giving us two 1st round picks next year.

When you win 2 championships in 4 years, you can afford to do things like this. It worked out well for New England last year getting Jerod Mayo (DROY) after trading up. Steelers can get that blue chip player like a Rey Maualaga/Michael Crabtree, or for example in our situation, a TOP LEFT TACKLE, in a Ryan Clady if they decided to trade. Worst case scenario, we have two first rounders. :tt2

I'll admit I feel good today sitting at #32 with Mack and Jackson projected to us, but like I said, if they're not there...I'd rather give up the pick and NOT trade back picking up more picks (our success is in the first round). Besides we got enough contracts to take care of.

Just another option out there to think about.

Djfan
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
It worked out well for New England last year getting Jerod Mayo (DROY) after trading up.

I remember. That was after they lost their first round pick for cheating, but still had the MUCH higher first round pick from the SF trade the year before. Boy oh boy, that's one stiff punishment they got slapped with, huh?

Go get 'em Goodell!

MaxAMillion
02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I am not really understanding the idea of having two first round picks. I don't think the 32nd pick will be that valuable (unless Stafford or Sanchez fall that far).

The Steelers can always take a corner if the top OL are gone. Townsend is not getting any younger and there is that chance that BMac leaves via FA.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers trade down, but I am fine with them taking a corner in round one if things fall that way.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
the decision to franchis max will come far before the draft... iirc, the date is soon (if it hasn't passed already).

having said that, I'd rather trade UP and get the guy we want... last 2 times we did it we got Polamalu and Holmes... When we're down to the last of the "preferred" guys, trade up and get him...

papillon
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
the decision to franchis max will come far before the draft... iirc, the date is soon (if it hasn't passed already).

having said that, I'd rather trade UP and get the guy we want... last 2 times we did it we got Polamalu and Holmes... When we're down to the last of the "preferred" guys, trade up and get him...

I don't like moving up, unless, you're going after a play maker, ie Holmes or Polamalu, but, not for a lineman offensive or defensive. Right now, I'm hoping that Britton, Mack or Jackson make to 32 and I hope some teams draft for need rather than BPA and let more options slip.

You know there's always a team that panics and does something foolish that throws the whole first round out of kilter. When that happens it always benefits the bottom of the first round.

Pappy

Djfan
02-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't like moving up, unless, you're going after a play maker, ie Holmes or Polamalu, but, not for a lineman offensive or defensive. Right now, I'm hoping that Britton, Mack or Jackson make to 32 and I hope some teams draft for need rather than BPA and let more options slip.

You know there's always a team that panics and does something foolish that throws the whole first round out of kilter. When that happens it always benefits the bottom of the first round.

Pappy

God bless those Lions!

Oviedo
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Pappy

Totally agree. You don't spend what it will cost to move uo in Round 1 unless you can get a "playmaker." We can't get from #32 high enough to get a starter ready LT so you don't trade up to get a developmental lineman.

As I have said I am more intrigued about what we could do trading up in Round 2 or 3.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Pappy
In this case, it could mean getting a 1st round quality O-lineman or getting a Trai Essex...

If I could trade up and get Duke Robinson... no brainer.

I'd also be OK with a 5 spot trade if it meant Eben Britton as opposed to Phil Loadholt...

papillon
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Pappy
In this case, it could mean getting a 1st round quality O-lineman or getting a Trai Essex...

I'd also be OK with a 5 spot trade if it meant Eben Britton as opposed to Phil Loadholt...

I'm good with the minor move up for Britton (I saw a mock that him going at 28, that would run us about 70 points on the draft chart), but, isn't Robinson projected in the 2nd round? If so, moving up in the second may be a good idea. Some mocks have Mack going at the top of the second as well.

Personally, I'd like to see free agency used to improve the O-line and the draft for the d-line. I think we have enough bodies to get through another year with our aging d-linemen and it would give a draft class some playing time to learn and be ready for the following year.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM

Pappy

I'm good with the minor move up for Britton (I saw a mock that him going at 28, that would run us about 70 points on the draft chart), but, isn't Robinson projected in the 2nd round? If so, moving up in the second may be a good idea. Some mocks have Mack going at the top of the second as well.

Personally, I'd like to see free agency used to improve the O-line and the draft for the d-line. I think we have enough bodies to get through another year with our aging d-linemen and it would give a draft class some playing time to learn and be ready for the following year.

Pappy
some have robinson as a top 20-25 player... others have him falling to the 2nd... i seriously doubt he'd make it past us... but, projections are really tough to make at this point - combine can move you up/down...

let's hope for a bad comebine and he's just sitting there for us with no trade up.

we're gonna have Max, anyway... that' one's a no brainer... so, OT will be preferred, but, not a necessity...

Oviedo
02-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Pappy

Pappy
some have robinson as a top 20-25 player... others have him falling to the 2nd... i seriously doubt he'd make it past us... but, projections are really tough to make at this point - combine can move you up/down...

let's hope for a bad comebine and he's just sitting there for us with no trade up.

we're gonna have Max, anyway... that' one's a no brainer... so, OT will be preferred, but, not a necessity...

I think you would seriously have to consider that we were weaker at the Guard positions than at OT. This surprised me as the season went on because I had thought it was the other way around. I think you have to target the interior of the line first whcih is why I see no reason to trade up because some of the best C/G will likely be there at 1.32.

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
After winning 2 SB's in 4 years... I really don't care which way we go about it. Be aggressive and get what who you want.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
At this point, I think I would take Alex Mack, Tyson Jackson, and Eben Britton before Duke Robinson. But I think I would take Duke over William Beatty, though. I would guess that the odds are that our first round pick would be one of those five guys...the top center, top guard, top 3-4 DE, or the 5th or 6th ranked LT prospect, since the top 4 LT's will be long gone in the first half of round one). I'm looking forward to watching some of these guys at the combine next weekend.

Steeler Mafia
02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think we are going to trade up. We pretty much have all our skill positions filled and that would be the only reason to move up in the draft. If anything, we will move down and try to get a hold of some OL and DL talent prospects and cultivate them into prime minute players.

Just my thoughts...

WoodleyofTroy
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
At this point, I think I would take Alex Mack, Tyson Jackson, and Eben Britton before Duke Robinson. But I think I would take Duke over William Beatty, though. I would guess that the odds are that our first round pick would be one of those five guys...the top center, top guard, top 3-4 DE, or the 5th or 6th ranked LT prospect, since the top 4 LT's will be long gone in the first half of round one). I'm looking forward to watching some of these guys at the combine next weekend.

I'd throw Max Unger in there as well, making it 6. If you could pick on player that makes the most sense to us right now, it would be him, considering all across the OL there is no certainty. Is Colon a Tackle or Guard? Will Starks or Smith be back? Is Simmons going to stay healthy? etc..

Unger can play anywhere but LT in year one, and reminds me of a Logan Mankins pick.

LasVegasGuy
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Trying to sign 2 first rounders next year would be suicide. I say take the pick and use it on the best player available on the Steelers board.