PDA

View Full Version : Clutch enough for Canton?

Scarletfire1970
02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure if you guys read this.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11327198

TAMPA, Fla. -- So we leave Super Bowl XLIII just as we entered it -- talking about a Hall of Fame quarterback waiting to happen.

Only it's not Kurt Warner. It's Ben Roethlisberger.

With Pittsburgh's 27-23 last-minute defeat of never-say-die Arizona on Sunday, Roethlisberger enters a conversation once considered unimaginable. Yep, I'm talking about Canton, and here's why: In just five years he has been to four playoffs, three conference championship games and two Super Bowls.

Ben Roethlisberger is 21-for-30 for 256 yards, one interception -- and a touchdown pass on the game-winning drive. (AP)
Ben Roethlisberger is 21-for-30 for 256 yards, one interception -- and a touchdown pass on the game-winning drive. (AP)
More important, he's 2-for-2 in Super Bowls.

And that's what I love about this guy. He doesn't produce fantasy-football numbers; he just wins, as in 73 percent of his games and eight of 10 playoff appearances. Plus, there is this: He's at his best when his best is needed most.

And it was needed in the last 2 minutes Sunday, after a 20-7 Pittsburgh lead had dissolved into a 23-20 Arizona advantage. No problem. Roethlisberger would rally this team as he had so many times before.

"I remember telling our guys, 'It's not over,'" Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "I believe in Ben, and I have since I saw him play as a sophomore in college. He's been doing that with great regularity."

He did this season. There was the overtime defeat of Baltimore in September. Then a come-from-behind victory over Jacksonville. A last-minute win over San Diego. Another last-minute defeat of Dallas. And the crowning achievement, a 13-9 defeat of Baltimore in December, when he drove the club 92 yards to score with less than a minute left.

No comeback, however, can surpass Sunday's, with Roethlisberger completing five of seven passes to drive the Steelers 88 yards. The clincher, of course, was that magnificent touchdown catch by MVP Santonio Holmes, but we've seen that before, too.

Remember who beat Baltimore for a 65-yard score in the AFC title game? Uh-huh, the same guy who beat the Ravens with that controversial last-minute touchdown in December.

None of those plays, of course, would have been possible without Roethlisberger making them. Against Baltimore, he hit both his passes after scrambling to his left and fighting off a furious pass rush. Against Arizona, he stood in the pocket, pumped once, looked left then lofted a pass to the corner of the end zone that Holmes caught.

Great pass. Great catch. Great quarterback.

"What was that play called?" someone asked.

"Drop back, scramble right, scramble left, find someone open," Roethlisberger said.

Well, it worked ... again. Just as it worked on a first-quarter pass where Roethlisberger was corralled, scrambled left, sprinted back to his right, then threw the ball back to his left before he was hammered. Not only was the pass caught; it was caught for a first down.

But that's Roethlisberger, and that's why he deserves so much more than he's gotten this or any other season. Too often he gets lost in the accolades thrown down on the league's No. 1-ranked defense, but on this evening, when the defense cracked, the Steelers were forced to find oxygen from another source.

They dialed Roethlisberger, and he responded as he did not in Super Bowl XL.

"It feels a lot better to be able to come back on that last drive," he said, "probably a drive that will be remembered for a long time -- at least in Steelers history. So it feels really good, really special."

Those are two adjectives that should be attached to Roethlisberger's name from now on. I don't care if he once was perceived as a caretaker of the Steelers' offense. That's old news. He makes plays when you need them, and on Sunday the Steelers needed them.
Threads

So he threw one touchdown pass. It was only the most important pass of the evening ... and isn't that what defines greatness? When you absolutely, positively must make a play, whom do you call? Some people will say Tom Brady. Others will call on Peyton Manning.

But you better throw Ben Roethlisberger in there, which means you better start looking at him as Hall of Fame material.

Yeah, I know he's only 26 and it's a little early to get on the subject, but in just five years he has one more Super Bowl victory than Manning has in his illustrious career. That should at least get the conversation going.

"Ben may not have the stats as all the other guys in the league," said wide receiver Hines Ward, "but one stat he does have is that he's a winner. Two Super Bowls in five years, and to have a Super Bowl like he did?

"I know he was eager to play this game because he wanted to prove to all the naysayers that he can perform at a top level. And he sure did on that last drive. That was Joe Montana-like. But he's done that all year.

"I think this helps solidify him as one of the best quarterbacks in the league."

I don't. I know it does.

Oviedo
02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I would be surprised if Ben makes the Hall of Fame because of the anti-Steelers media bias and that same media votes for the HoF. Here is the (mis)perceptions about Ben that will work against him:

1. He is a game manager on a team that is carried by their defense
2. His lack of big stats in terms of TDs and passing yards proves he is not an elite QB
3. He is not responsible for the Steelers Super Bowl wins as is evidenced by the fact he has never been named MVP

IMO even if Big Ben wins two more Super Bowls it will be viewed as a result of someone other than Ben. he would have to be named Super Bowl MVP a couple of times to have a shot.

This is the same type of misperceptions that will work against Hines Ward when he never gets picked.

SteelBucks
02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
IMO even if Big Ben wins two more Super Bowls it will be viewed as a result of someone other than Ben. he would have to be named Super Bowl MVP a couple of times to have a shot.

IMO, if the Steelers win two more titles under Ben, he's GUARANTEED a spot in the HOF....regardless if he's voted MVP or not. There is no way they'll keep a four time Super Bowl champion QB out of the Hall.

Just my :2c

Captain Lemming
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I would be surprised if Ben makes the Hall of Fame because of the anti-Steelers media bias and that same media votes for the HoF. Here is the (mis)perceptions about Ben that will work against him:

1. He is a game manager on a team that is carried by their defense
2. His lack of big stats in terms of TDs and passing yards proves he is not an elite QB
3. He is not responsible for the Steelers Super Bowl wins as is evidenced by the fact he has never been named MVP

This is the same type of misperceptions that will work against Hines Ward when he never gets picked.

You are incorrect.
There is no anti Steeler bias for the hall, just an understandable pro Steeler bias here.
Hines? He plays the one position that is most controversial. Undeserving receivers get in, deserving ones dont make it. It wouldnt shock me if he doesnt get in.
How many non Steeler fans perceive Hines as one of the greatest receivers in history?

The very point of this article is that this one game is changing Bens perception, and it is correct. Your play in the SB is HUGE. Frankly his bad game in the first one REINFORCED the idea that "the team" carried him there, he was just a game manager despite his awesome playoff performance that year.

This SB victory is making people take notice that he is clutch, in a big way.

While playing Troy Aikman, was overshadowed by prolific number guys like Marino, Elway, Farve, Young, ect.
With Emmitt, Troy had the top RB in history. The ultimate game manager.

Terry Bradshaw did not have huge regular season numbers, and at the same point Ben is in his career now, was considered less than a "game manager". Some considered him the "weak link" on a truly great team. HOF? Bradshaw? Not a chance.

Ben is well ahead of either Aikman or Bradshaw in peoples minds at this point of his career.

If he keeps this pace, and gets four rings he is shoe in, by the same standard.

steelblood
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Ben probably needs to win another Super Bowl or get a more explosive offense around him to make it. That is the reality of the voting.

Scarletfire1970
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
"I remember telling our guys, 'It's not over,'" Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "I believe in Ben, and I have since I saw him play as a sophomore in college. He's been doing that with great regularity."

Interesting.

Captain Lemming
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Ben probably needs to win another Super Bowl or get a more explosive offense around him to make it. That is the reality of the voting.

No doubt, it is early. If his career ends tomorrow in another stupid bike accident, he aint in.
But the point of the article is that the conversation has started.

I say if he continues at this pace, (which would mean two more SB victories) he is a shoe in.

Ozey74
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Before the season started, my friends told me that Roethlisberger is not on course for a HOF career. Roethlisberger had 4 seasons under his belt and I mutliplied his stats by 3 (assuming that he would play for 12 years). His stats were very Troy Aikman-like. At the time, I said if he can get 2 more SB win he will also have as many rings as Aikman. Well, we all know that he took care of one of those rings this year. I wouldn't bet against him getting at least 1 more ring in the next 10 years.

:tt2

Chachi
02-12-2009, 10:40 AM
He plays another 5 years and gets just one more SB?

Lock.

He already rewrote the rookie record book.

He is currently rewriting the Steelers record book.

And, think about it, since Roethlisberger entered the league, and had the success he had, the perception and expectations of rookie QBs entering the league has grown immensely. He is the standard upon which all QBs entering the league are measured.

5 more years.

One more ring.

Lock.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
"What was that play called?" someone asked.

"Drop back, scramble right, scramble left, find someone open," Roethlisberger said.

That pretty much sums it up right there. Didn't Trevor Pryce warn the Cardinals to not let Ben play sandlot football against them?

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I think it moved. :oops:

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I think it moved. :oops:

Only costanza is allowed to say that. :mrgreen: