PDA

View Full Version : Because its never too early... CONTESTS

AngryAsian
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
This year was nothing short of spectacular. I know the 2009 season will be even better because the men in Black and Gold will be eradicating the notion of the Patriots* being the team of the decade as they go for their 7th Lombardi. The purpose of this thread is to sling ideas around for next season's BOARD GAMES. During mid season fo$lrock brought over his pick em's contest and with the addition of Lonbull to the board we are all anticipating his very popular MNF Exec. contest to be started here in 2009. Stlr D had a very popular Playoff contest and Costanza fostered a great FF league with a couple of conferences. But there has to be more out there who have ideas about GAMES we can participate in during the season, and maybe there are others who want to initiate some offseason games that can be played that may or may not be centered around Mock Drafts.

This thread will be stickied and updated. This thread's purpose: A sign up sheet of intended games/contests to be played this 2009 season. This will also serve as a hub for questions regarding those games... example- fo$lrock brought his pickem' contest at midseason, and I wanted to play but really had no idea what the game was about. Maybe those hosting these offerings, when signing up, can post their rules/instructions on this thread. Anyway, as people sign up I'll update this post to show all, which contests will be ran and when.

Thanks again everybody, for a truly great season here at Planet Steelers. Looking forward to not only the contests, but your ideas as well.

A

GAMES/CONTESTS- hosted by

The Eliminator -
Weekly Photoshop Contest -
Playoff Fantasy Football Challenge v3.0 - (stlrz d)

SteelerNation1
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I loved the eliminator game...at least until I lost in week 1. Stupid Colts.

steeld95
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I loved the eliminator game...at least until I lost in week 1. Stupid Colts.

This was my first thought. This would be a good one.

fordfixer
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
This year was nothing short of spectacular. I know the 2009 season will be even better because the men in Black and Gold will be eradicating the notion of the Patriots* being the team of the decade as they go for their 7th Lombardi. The purpose of this thread is to sling ideas around for next season's BOARD GAMES. During mid season fo$lrock brought over his pick em's contest and with the addition of Lonbull to the board we are all anticipating his very popular MNF Exec. contest to be started here in 2009. Stlr D had a very popular Playoff contest and Costanza fostered a great FF league with a couple of conferences. But there has to be more out there who have ideas about GAMES we can participate in during the season, and maybe there are others who want to initiate some offseason games that can be played that may or may not be centered around Mock Drafts.

This thread will be stickied and updated. This thread's purpose: A sign up sheet of intended games/contests to be played this 2009 season. This will also serve as a hub for questions regarding those games... example- fo$lrock brought his pickem' contest at midseason, and I wanted to play but really had no idea what the game was about. Maybe those hosting these offerings, when signing up, can post their rules/instructions on this thread. Anyway, as people sign up I'll update this post to show all, which contests will be ran and when.

Thanks again everybody, for a truly great season here at Planet Steelers. Looking forward to not only the contests, but your ideas as well.

A
How about a game called "name the asian". with the ever changing name of ASIAN we could have a contest to to give you a name once and for all. It would be kind of like pin the tail on the donkey only different :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
PHOTOSHOPS!!!!!

and look alikes!!!!

AngryAsian
02-12-2009, 03:40 AM
All the suggestions have merit. MJG, the Photoshops are a staple, those are a fixture to this site. The eliminator that SN1 mentioned was awesome as well, except, I too was gone after the first week. We need someone to host that again. I'll update the main thread when someone steps up to the plate and becomes the administrator of those contests.

FF, I'm not too keen on the name the Asian contest. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Djfan
02-12-2009, 11:24 AM

How many different ways can you spell "Lee" anyway?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/bruce-lee-picture-large1.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Lee. Li. Leigh. Lea. Leah. So there. :lol:

Is the Planet going to be attempting some sort of Stemmy/PLAYA award type thing? Most of my posting at the Trib was at the tail end of that, so I was never really involved with it. When were they normally given out (I'm assuming during the offseason since that is a slower time)? I do recall Asian's superhero-inspired sigs, though.

MeetJoeGreene
02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Also.. didn't lonbull do some kind of draft room manager? where you got points for predicting the Steelers picks, positions, rounds, etc?

AngryAsian
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Also.. didn't lonbull do some kind of draft room manager? where you got points for predicting the Steelers picks, positions, rounds, etc?

See, this is exactly why this thread was needed. I was racking my brain for all those contests that were ran on the Trib during the offseason. I think if we can get those running here that would be awesome. Hopefully LB will get that running here or at the very least recruit someone to administer the contest. Anybody else?

Lonbull
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM

MJG -

It was/is called War Room Executive - This particular game never really accomplished what I wanted from it.

Unfortunately due to my own time constraints I'm not 100% sure I will run this one - however half of my problem is with the game itself.

See, this is exactly why this thread was needed. I was racking my brain for all those contests that were ran on the Trib during the offseason. I think if we can get those running here that would be awesome. Hopefully LB will get that running here or at the very least recruit someone to administer the contest. Anybody else?

However I am toying with another idea that would involve Free Agency - similiar to MNF Exec - once you put your picks in they're locked - Time is still an issue, but I could just update the scores once a week and that should solve it.

I'm dwelling on the rules as I type this.

L.B.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
It is not really a contest, but we'll have to get that interactive board mock draft going again in which each poster is assigned an NFL team (or two), and every hour throughout a week (or two if we want to go more than one round like we did last year), your team is on the clock, so you have to pick who you would take if you were the G.M. of that team (with an explanation of why that is the right pick for said team, etc.). We even incorporated trades (I recall being proud of being able to trade up with the Broncos to take Glenn Dorsey...as it turned out in real life, they were much better off staying put and taking Ryan Clady...whoops. I think I took Gholston for the Rams too after Chris Long was taken off the board before me...ugh).

D Rock
02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
It is not really a contest, but we'll have to get that interactive board mock draft going again in which each poster is assigned an NFL team (or two), and every hour throughout a week (or two if we want to go more than one round like we did last year), your team is on the clock, so you have to pick who you would take if you were the G.M. of that team (with an explanation of why that is the right pick for said team, etc.). We even incorporated trades (I recall being proud of being able to trade up with the Broncos to take Glenn Dorsey...as it turned out in real life, they were much better off staying put and taking Ryan Clady...whoops. I think I took Gholston for the Rams too after Chris Long was taken off the board before me...ugh).

The same Ryan Clady my Jaguars team traded the slumping Khalif Barnes to move up and get? Yeah...that would be the one.

I'll put the mock draft together again this year but will probably need some help from people who are around a little more than myself to make sure picks are in on time and what not.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 09:33 PM

The same Ryan Clady my Jaguars team traded the slumping Khalif Barnes to move up and get? Yeah...that would be the one.

I'll put the mock draft together again this year but will probably need some help from people who are around a little more than myself to make sure picks are in on time and what not.

Sounds great, man. I'll be in for a team or two myself, and if you need a little help making sure it runs smoothly, let me know how I may be of service.

fordfixer
02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
All the suggestions have merit. MJG, the Photoshops are a staple, those are a fixture to this site. The eliminator that SN1 mentioned was awesome as well, except, I too was gone after the first week. We need someone to host that again. I'll update the main thread when someone steps up to the plate and becomes the administrator of those contests.

Oh sure, it's because I'm Irish isn't it? :P :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 12:29 AM

"go n-ithe cata thú agus go n-ithe an diabhaill an cata"

"may a cat eat you, and may the devil eat the cat"

Irish insults rule! :lol:

fordfixer
02-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Sorry I don't speak Irish :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 12:45 AM

Sorry I don't speak Irish :lol:

Well, you better learn quick, ya limey bastage!

Here's a start:

http://www.obrien.ie/covers/FeckinInsults.jpg

snarky
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Here is a quick one: Pick the first rookie to score a touchdown in the 2009 regular season.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Here is a quick one: Pick the first rookie to score a touchdown in the 2009 regular season.

Difficult to say since you don't know which RB's will be on which teams just yet.

I think I'd put the early money on the top WR, though...Crabtree. He should be a force whereever he goes.

snarky
02-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Difficult to say since you don't know which RB's will be on which teams just yet.

I think I'd put the early money on the top WR, though...Crabtree. He should be a force whereever he goes.

Yes, well, if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. I think doing it before the draft would be interesting.

stlrz d
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Snarky - would we be doing this by Patriots fans rules or by NFL rules?

See, when you bring up to Pats fans that Ben has won the most games in his first five seasons in the league they will argue that the NFL rules are stupid and that a players first year actually playing should be considered his rookie year, not his first year on the team. Meaning "Brady is better" blah blah blah. :roll:

snarky
02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
stlrz_d,

This would be a reality based game.

stlrz d
02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
stlrz_d,

This would be a reality based game.

You didn't disappoint. :D

BURGH86STEEL
02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
This is a good site for running survivor. I am not sure about the price to run anything there. I participate in one survivor pool there and it costs $25 to buy in. I usually buy two spots. If you lose, you have the option to buy back in the next week up until the 7th or 8th week. If we can get it organized, I will participate.

http://www.simplysportsware.com

ANPSTEEL
02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
This is a good site for running survivor. I am not sure about the price to run anything there. I participate in one survivor pool there and it costs $25 to buy in. I usually buy two spots. If you lose, you have the option to buy back in the next week up until the 7th or 8th week. If we can get it organized, I will participate.

i believe that is the same as 'eliminator'

which is one of my favorite pools...

the group that i am in that does the eliminator has adjusted the rules several times due to everyone losing prior to end of the season.

we have used multiple formats, such as:
- once everyone is out, everyone starts again- same basic rules
- no one loses by missing a pick- but the winner is the person with the least wrong picks, ties are handled as normal-
- similar to your pool- we allowed everyone two entries-

personally, the second choice kept the most people involved, and thus was the most fun, but kind of deteriorated the point of the game. But if you have ever lost by the third week, you understand that the point of the game can suck. :lol:

stlrz d
02-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Is your last name Rockefeller or something? :P

We did this for FREE last year on either CBS or Yahoo. :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
02-14-2009, 05:10 PM

I wish. Being free is a good thing. When someone has a chance to win 3,000 or more(depends how many people enroll), $50 is not a lot of money. If there are good sports at the end (4 or 5 people), they may be willing to split up the final dollar amount.

I played in the FF on yahoo. Came close to winning. Deangelo Williams spoiled my victory.

Iron Shiek
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM

I wish. Being free is a good thing. When someone has a chance to win 3,000 or more(depends how many people enroll), $50 is not a lot of money. If there are good sports at the end (4 or 5 people), they may be willing to split up the final dollar amount.

I played in the FF on yahoo. Came close to winning. Deangelo Williams spoiled my victory.

Mwuahahahahahahaahah!!! Excellent.

http://op-for.com/mr%20burns.jpg

AngryAsian
02-20-2009, 05:32 AM
So we've established that the eliminator and FF will be conducted... but who out of our membership will be willing to administrate. I hope stlrz d will be doing his Playoff Fantasy Game again. BTW, what do you want to call that?

stlrz d
02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
So we've established that the eliminator and FF will be conducted... but who out of our membership will be willing to administrate. I hope stlrz d will be doing his Playoff Fantasy Game again. BTW, what do you want to call that?

Well, the first time it was stlrz d's Playoff Fantasy Football Challenge v1.0

The second time it was stlrz d's Playoff Fantasy Football Challenge v2.0

Are you seeing the pattern? :lol:

And I will point this out now, but also remind everyone next season as well...I screwed up with the rules and QBs were way ahead of every other player in terms of value. I won't make that mistake next season. :P

Djfan
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM

So what will it be called next time?

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 12:58 PM

stlrz d's "Now the Quarterbacks won't score as much as the rest of your team combined anymore" Playoff Fantasy Football Challenge v3.0 :P :lol:

stlrz d
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM

stlrz d's "Now the Quarterbacks won't score as much as the rest of your team combined anymore" Playoff Fantasy Football Challenge v3.0 :P :lol:

Close.