PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Davis

BigRob
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Better come to camp jacked up next year, or say goodbye to a roster spot.

Chavezz
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM

LMAO

You guys just don't learn do you.

Polumalu better show up at camp next year....

Timmons better...

Sweed better...

I really had hoped that Timmons development would maybe open your eyes up to expecting too much, too soon. Apparently that's not the case.

Chadman
02-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Tell you what- that Mendenhall guy better not get hurt next year or he's a bust.

And if he isn't an all-pro next season, probably should dump him.

And if Ryan Mendy doesn't make the Pro Bowl, Colbert needs firing.

And if Gary Russell doesn't lead the league in rushing next season, Tomlin should be sacked.

Lebsteel
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Tell you what- that Mendenhall guy better not get hurt next year or he's a bust.

And if Gary Russell doesn't lead the league in rushing next season, Tomlin should be sacked.

It's Mundy, but you are right, Colbert should be fired if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl! I'd be happy if Mendenhall leads the league and Russell is second. The over-the-hill Willie Parker should be third or he's gone. :lol: :stirpot

Chadman, I hope the wildfires are far away from you and everyone in your family is safe!

BURGH86STEEL
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM

LMAO

Timmons better...

Sweed better...

I really had hoped that Timmons development would maybe open your eyes up to expecting too much, too soon. Apparently that's not the case.

Some people never learn. Guess some people's expectations are unreal. It is not like they have horrible players in front of Davis on the depth chart.

Chadman
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM

It's Mundy, but you are right, Colbert should be fired if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl! I'd be happy if Mendenhall leads the league and Russell is second. The over-the-hill Willie Parker should be third or he's gone. :lol: :stirpot

Chadman, I hope the wildfires are far away from you and everyone in your family is safe!

Thanks mate- the fires are away from us, so we're safe, but there's family down there that we haven't heard from. Pretty damn nasty business.

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow.

Beat out Harrison or Woodley...or else. :roll:

steelcityrules!!
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM

LMAO

Timmons better...

Sweed better...

you forgot "holmes better..."

:oops:
I'm happily taking my lumps chavezzzz.
:D

phillyesq
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
It is certainly too early to say that Davis is a bust.

However, his inability to make it onto special teams as a regular contributor is concerning. Harrison, Timmons, Gildon, Vrabel -- a lot of Steelers LBs have broken into the lineup after first contributing on special teams. I don't think that is too much to ask from a third round pick.

BURGH86STEEL
02-12-2009, 07:32 AM

However, his inability to make it onto special teams as a regular contributor is concerning. Harrison, Timmons, Gildon, Vrabel -- a lot of Steelers LBs have broken into the lineup after first contributing on special teams. I don't think that is too much to ask from a third round pick.

Sometimes guys do not play on special teams because of the game day players. It is a numbers game. They can only dress so many guys. I guess the coaching staff preferred to have experienced LB''s backing up the other LB's as opposed too an inexperienced player. Like most players, Davis probably had a hard time learning the defense.

Oviedo
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Sometimes guys do not play on special teams because of the game day players. It is a numbers game. They can only dress so many guys. I guess the coaching staff preferred to have experienced LB''s backing up the other LB's as opposed too an inexperienced player. Like most players, Davis probably had a hard time learning the defense.

I would have to agree. Special Teamers have to in many cases be a primary back up for a game day starter. Timmons played Special team slast year because the guy is a freak in terms of his speed. Bruce davis is just going through the normal "LeBeau redshirt" season.

Northern_Blitz
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM

LMAO

Timmons better...

Sweed better...

Yep.

Who is Davis behind Woodley or Harrison. Which player does the OP think that Davis can beat out? If he doesn't beat out one of these two players, is he a bust, or is he just not as good as the best pair of OLBs we've ever had?

We're a good team. You need to be very, very good to contribute to our team in the first year. It's bad teams (or desperate ones) that need to start first year players.

ikestops85
02-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Mendy, Sweed, Davis, and Hills -- I didn't see much from any of them this year. That certainly doesn't mean they are busts. It just means we will have to wait a little longer to see how successful they will be. As far as I'm concerned they all still have the potential to become 'superstars'. Ask the same question in a couple of years and you might get a different answer from me.

Lebsteel
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Mendy, Sweed, Davis, and Hills -- I didn't see much from any of them this year. That certainly doesn't mean they are busts. It just means we will have to wait a little longer to see how successful they will be. As far as I'm concerned they all still have the potential to become 'superstars'. Ask the same question in a couple of years and you might get a different answer from me.

I keep thinking it will be like having one great big draft this year because it will almost seem like two drafts in one with last year's picks hardly playing at all!! There could be at least five or six new starters/regular contributors next year. I'd hope that Mendenhall, Sweed, Hills, our first rd OL pick, and our second round DL pick could play a lot of snaps next season!

Mel Blount's G
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Mendy, Sweed, Davis, and Hills -- I didn't see much from any of them this year.
You WOULD have seen quite a bit a mendy had gay ray not snapped his shoulder like a twig AND assuming he overcame his case of fumblitis. We probably would have seen more sweed had he not had a case of dropulitis.

This concerned me as well. You'd think they could have at least dressed him from time to time. Actually, HOW MANY TIMES DID DAVIS DRESS FOR A REGULAR SEASON GAME THIS YEAR? I had some high hopes for him thinking that maybe we got a steal with that draft but then I changed my tune and thought that pick would have been much more useful getting a OL or a DL. We missed DT/NT Pat Sims by about a dozen picks in that 3rd round I think and I thought he looked damn good as a rookie for the bung-holes. Sheesh, their 3rd actuallly became a contrubuting starter I believe whereas our 3rd never even saw the field or even the locker room :| Mind you that's the bungholes I'm talkin 'bout

Speaking of NT's, where did Red Bryant end up?

FYI: I believe Keyaron Fox is an FA this year and he was very key to our much improved coverage reams this year.

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Some fans, while fans of the Steelers, are still fans of the NFL as a whole and expect our rookies to play because that's what rookies do on other teams.

Steelers are consistent because they don't pursue players who can contribute on day one. Sure we go for BPA but that doesn't mean we will drop a lesser talent who knows the system to plug in the money guy.

Other teams dump vets and while their rookie may be ready on day one.. the team goes 7-9 and their rookie is injured 5 games in. Imagine if we dumped FWP because we drafted Mend? Teams do it all the time and get caught out there...

and with Davis being a LB... who the hell could be frustrated because he isn't beating out Pro bowl talent and seeing time on the #1 D in the league?

Mel Blount's G
02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
So dizz, you don't think Davis could have covered on a few kicks and/or blocked on a few kick returns, just to give him a little game time experience?

And I'll repeat for anyone who missed it as I'm quite interested to know:
HOW MANY TIMES DID DAVIS DRESS FOR REGULAR SEASON GAMES THIS YEAR? DOES ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHERE A GUY COULD FIND THIS INFO?

Thanks in advance.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
You WOULD have seen quite a bit a mendy had gay ray not snapped his shoulder like a twig AND assuming he overcame his case of fumblitis. We probably would have seen more sweed had he not had a case of dropulitis.

This concerned me as well. You'd think they could have at least dressed him from time to time. Actually, HOW MANY TIMES DID DAVIS DRESS FOR A REGULAR SEASON GAME THIS YEAR? I had some high hopes for him thinking that maybe we got a steal with that draft but then I changed my tune and thought that pick would have been much more useful getting a OL or a DL. We missed DT/NT Pat Sims by about a dozen picks in that 3rd round I think and I thought he looked damn good as a rookie for the bung-holes. Sheesh, their 3rd actuallly became a contrubuting starter I believe whereas our 3rd never even saw the field or even the locker room :| Mind you that's the bungholes I'm talkin 'bout

FYI: I believe Keyaron Fox is an FA this year and he was very key to our much improved coverage reams this year.

Seattle got him two picks before we were supposed to pick in the 4th. When he was off the board, we traded down with the Giants to the end of round 4 (used on Hills), picking up an extra 6th rounder in the process (used on Mundy).

I was overjoyed with the Mendenhall and Sweed selections in rounds 1 & 2, but I was hoping we would have taken Anthony Collins in Round 3 instead of Davis (Cincy got him with the 13th pick in round 4).

Mel Blount's G
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Imagine if we dumped FWP because we drafted Mend? Teams do it all the time and get caught out there...[/quote]
Haha! Thats EXACTLY what SFL, or whatever his name was (Darren Willis :P) , wanted to do. Remember over at the trib the big trade willie debate?>\

Oviedo
02-12-2009, 04:38 PM
So dizz, you don't think Davis could have covered on a few kicks and/or blocked on a few kick returns, just to give him a little game time experience?

HOW MANY TIMES DID DAVIS DRESS FOR REGULAR SEASON GAMES THIS YEAR? DOES ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHERE A GUY COULD FIND THIS INFO?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brucedavis/p ... =DAV196782 (http://www.nfl.com/players/brucedavis/profile?id=DAV196782)

Davis has 5 games credit. So basically he dressed for one third of the regular season. That is not unusal given that he plays in a position that is the best and deepest on the best defense in the NFL. Not many playing opportunities there.

I also think that they typically dressed one less LB than normal because Timmons could play both inside and outside.

Mel Blount's G
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Seattle got him two picks before we were supposed to pick in the 4th. When he was off the board, we traded down with the Giants to the end of round 4 (used on Hills), picking up an extra 6th rounder in the process (used on Mundy).

I was overjoyed with the Mendenhall and Sweed selections in rounds 1 & 2, but I was hoping we would have taken Anthony Collins in Round 3 instead of Davis (Cincy got him with the 13th pick in round 4).
Yup. Collins went on to start...

Thanks Oveido for the info

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks in advance.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brucedavis/p ... =DAV196782 (http://www.nfl.com/players/brucedavis/profile?id=DAV196782)

Davis has 5 games credit.

He dressed for the games against the Ravens the first time, the Jaguars, the Bengals the first time, the Giants, and the Colts in weeks 4, 5, 7, 8, and 10 respectively. He was inactive for the last 10 games that we played (including the playoffs).

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Teams can only suit up 45 guys per game. I think Davis only dressed for games where linebacker health was a question.

Our ST coverage units were very good this season...you don't break that up just to put Davis on the active roster.

True Fan
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
why is it taboo to expect a rookie to contribute in his first year especially when the second the guy is drafted he is immediately proclaimed 'the steal of the draft', ' a huge upgrade', 'special teams monster', etc etc etc by many fans?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Two questions:

1) Does a guy like this still get a ring? What about the practice squad guys?
2) Will the poster immediately above me consider changing his name? It's just not good manners, IMO. Kind of like going over to someone's house and saying their wife is ugly, but then staying and eating her dinner because it's kind of tasty. I think if you are going to say the wife is ugly, you shouldn't go over, and you especially shouldn't eat her tacos.

(Sorry, that's 3 questions, I kind of lost control thinking about tacos).

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
[quote=ikestops85]Mendy, Sweed, Davis, and Hills -- I didn't see much from any of them this year.

Yup. Collins went on to start...

Thanks Oveido for the info[/quote:1gjjzcip]

You are quite welcome.

Hugs and kisses always,

-Oviedo

:P

BigRob
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks in advance.

Davis has 5 games credit. So basically he dressed for one third of the regular season. That is not unusal given that he plays in a position that is the best and deepest on the best defense in the NFL. Not many playing opportunities there.

I also think that they typically dressed one less LB than normal because Timmons could play both inside and outside.

He couldn't beat out Patrick Bailey, an UDFA on Special Teams? Wasn't Patrick Bailey a LB? Thats the guy Davis was competing with to be an active player on the roster and he couldn't obtain a special teams spot due to his lack of strength.

Timmons and Polamalu played special teams and contributed big time on Special Teams their rookie year. I wasn't one of the guys who was proclaiming Timmons a bust.

However, is it too much to ask for your 3rd round pick to beat out another LB who plays only Special Teams?

Again, if Davis can get stronger I think he could develop into a Clark Haggans type player at the very least. However, if he comes in weak as hell again to training camp and we draft a player in the same round area as he was last year, e.g. the Brown kid from Connecticut, he won't have a roster spot.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks in advance.

He couldn't beat out Patrick Bailey, an UDFA on Special Teams? Wasn't Patrick Bailey a LB? Thats the guy Davis was competing with to be an active player on the roster and he couldn't obtain a special teams spot due to his lack of strength.

Timmons and Polamalu played special teams and contributed big time on Special Teams their rookie year. I wasn't one of the guys who was proclaiming Timmons a bust.

However, is it too much to ask for your 3rd round pick to beat out another LB who plays only Special Teams?

Again, if Davis can get stronger I think he could develop into a Clark Haggans type player at the very least. However, if he comes in weak as hell again to training camp and we draft a player in the same round area as he was last year, e.g. the Brown kid from Connecticut, he won't have a roster spot.

Hey, lay off Patrick Bailey, he's not chopped liver you know! Voted Steeler 2009 Rookie of the Year, on a Superbowl winning team! Good ol' boy from Alamo Heights High School, right here in San Antonio!

:wink:

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Why is it so important for Davis to play special teams? Just to see him on the field? Maybe he isn't fast enough for special teams.

I don't care though.. with our D the last thing I want is a guy to play just to please a few fans.

Mel Blount's G
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
why is it taboo to expect a rookie to contribute in his first year especially when the second the guy is drafted he is immediately proclaimed 'the steal of the draft', ' a huge upgrade', 'special teams monster', etc etc etc by many fans?
Way to take my comment out of context. I said I thought he was at first. I said I had changed my tune. I had nothing to base it on but a hope and a dream and the fact he wasn't really on anybody's mock draft radars. And no one said it was taboo that rookies can't contribute I don't think. Just that it was the exception and not the rule.

You must feel like a real assclown keeping a screen name like that. Or maybe that's the point... Why not just change it to "steelerssuck" or "everythingsucks" or better yet, "isuck" :?:

Anyway, have a great day and keep that Tomlin hate alive and strong!!

BradshawsHairdresser
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Imagine if we dumped FWP because we drafted Mend? Teams do it all the time and get caught out there...
Haha! Thats EXACTLY what SFL, or whatever his name was (Darren Willis :P) , wanted to do. Remember over at the trib the big trade willie debate?

Yeah...we didn't trade Willie...and we won our SECOND Super Bowl with him as the starter!
With Mendy going down, just think where we would've been had we traded Willie?

NW Steeler
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
You must feel like a real assclown keeping a screen name like that. Or maybe that's the point... Why not just change it to "steelerssuck" or "everythingsucks" or better yet, "isuck" :?:

:Cheers
:Beer
:Clap :Clap :Clap

'Nuff said.

phillyesq
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM

I would have to agree. Special Teamers have to in many cases be a primary back up for a game day starter. Timmons played Special team slast year because the guy is a freak in terms of his speed. Bruce davis is just going through the normal "LeBeau redshirt" season.

As somebody else pointed out, Patrick Bailey, an UDFA linebacker, was active on game day and just played special teams. I believe that Donovan Woods might have been active early in the season and played on special teams as well.

And again, I'm not giving up on Davis, but its concerning that he wasn't able to beat out the UDFAs or Andre Frazier on special teams.

BURGH86STEEL
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM

As somebody else pointed out, Patrick Bailey, an UDFA linebacker, was active on game day and just played special teams. I believe that Donovan Woods might have been active early in the season and played on special teams as well.

And again, I'm not giving up on Davis, but its concerning that he wasn't able to beat out the UDFAs or Andre Frazier on special teams.

I do not see how it is concerning. I think this is the same type of thinking that had people thinking Timmons and Polamalu were busts. If guys make it to the league, they can play. They could be UDFA, 1st, or 6th round picks. Maybe the other guys were better special teams players than Davis? I do not believe it is a knock on Davis. Davis had the opportunity to study and learn from some of the league's best LB's. That is not such a bad thing. Hopefully, he can step up and play well if his number is called.

WoodleyofTroy
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Bailey is a special teams specialist. That's what he does. You're basically saying ST plays NO ROLE in the game if you think the Steelers would put in Davis over Bailey. :Clap

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Glad it was pointed out that sometimes some guys are just better on special teams.

Just like some people will always find something to be "concerned" about.

BigRob
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Comparing Bruce Davis's first year to Lawrence Timmons and Troy Polamalu's first years is a joke.

First, those guys had major expectations, as you should, for top 20 first round picks. Calling them bust too early still should not have been done, but is it too much to ask that your third round pick be able to play special teams?

Secondly, the reason you draft a guy in the third round is to develop into an eventual starter/or defensive contributor.

Third, you draft guys in the third round with an eye to the future for starting, but knowing they should be at least special teams contributors until then. He couldn't even get active for special teams plays. That is not a good sign. Trying to say that he doesn't need to be a good special teams player when he can't contribute anywhere else for third round pick is not good.

Fourth, UDFA's are undrafted free agents for a reason. Your telling me tha Patrick Bailey and Donovon Woods were better prospects than Bruce Davis? UDFA are supposed to be diamonds in the rough,not two or three of them keeping your third round pick inactive all but five games.

Lastly, If you think Bruce Davis doesn't need to come to camp jacked next year and really show something your crazy. He can definetly lose a roster spot.

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Better special teams players.

It's not that difficult man.

True Fan
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Glad it was pointed out that sometimes some guys are just better on special teams.

exactly. look how many people get their panties in a bunch just over a screen name

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM

exactly. look how many people get their panties in a bunch just over a screen name

It's all about respect. Ruthlessburgher asked you who you submitted your name change request to. You never answered. I've seen the mods and the administrator here today. Seems to me if your request went to any of them it would have been granted.

True Fan
02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Way to take my comment out of context. I said I thought he was at first. I said I had changed my tune. I had nothing to base it on but a hope and a dream and the fact he wasn't really on anybody's mock draft radars. And no one said it was taboo that rookies can't contribute I don't think. Just that it was the exception and not the rule.

if you insist, i'll change it to 'MelBlountsGsucks'

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 11:56 PM

Bailey is a special teams specialist. That's what he does. You're basically saying ST plays NO ROLE in the game if you think the Steelers would put in Davis over Bailey. :Clap

Bailey made a big time play in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl when he blasted Steve Breaston on a kick return, keeping the Cards pinned back. A good kick return by the Cards at that point could have been potentially devastating. Special team specialists are an important part of the team. I would rather have a guy out there at that important point in the Super Bowl who is an animal covering kicks but may never amount to anything in terms of the regular defense than a 3rd round pick who we are developing to be a possible OLB of the future (coverting from a 4-3 DE in college to a complex NFL 3-4 OLB is not that straightforward) that is simply not as good as the UDFA who has a knack for covering kicks. It doesn't mean that Bailey will be a better player than Davis. It just means that Bailey fills his role extremely well now, while we have a couple of guys named Harrison and Woodley who are doing just fine in Davis' spot, so he is not needed right now.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 11:56 PM
[quote="stlrz d":urjanz5x]Glad it was pointed out that sometimes some guys are just better on special teams.

It's all about respect. Ruthlessburgher asked you who you submitted your name change request to. You never answered. I've seen the mods and the administrator here today. Seems to me if your request went to any of them it would have been granted.[/quote:urjanz5x]

I'm not here today. You are imagining things. :P

Chavezz
02-13-2009, 08:05 PM

LMAO

Timmons better...

Sweed better...

you forgot "holmes better..."

:oops:
I'm happily taking my lumps chavezzzz.
:D

LOL

I wasn't going to say anything. We had some long "discussions" about that didn't we.