PDA

View Full Version : Hank Fraley

steelnavy
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Were the Steelers dumb to let him go? I liked his attitude. Seemed like a Steeler kind of guy and it seems like he has started wherever he has gone. Maybe not the best at his trade, but definitely better than some of our linemen!

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Were the Steelers dumb to let him go? I liked his attitude. Seemed like a Steeler kind of guy and it seems like he has started wherever he has gone. Maybe not the best at his trade, but definitely better than some of our linemen!

We signed Fraley as a UDFA in 2000. That was Dirt Dawson's last year as our center. We tried signing Fraley to our practice squad, but the Eagles poached him. Since we were able to sign Jeff Hartings to be our starting center from 2001-2006 after Dawson retired, no, I don't think that the front office regretted letting Fraley go. We were fine at center until Hartings retired and the Mahan experiment ensued last season. By that point, Fraley had already left Philly and was in Cleveland.

phillyesq
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I remember that Fraley was an UDFA who the team wanted on the p.s.

It would have been great if he could have stuck around as a backup until Hartings retired, and filled the position rather than the Okobi/Mahan experiment. But, I'm glad he got a chance to play all those years.

I think that this is just a testament to the ability of the Steelers to find UDFAs.

steelnavy
02-11-2009, 04:02 PM
We signed Fraley as a UDFA in 2000

Are you kidding me?!? I was thinking it was like four years ago. As I get older, the past and recent past are melding together. It seems like yesterday that Hank was a Steeler. I am starting to feel like Rip Van Winkle... But no matter how old I get, I still get enjoyment out of these!
:Boobs

Chemsteel
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM

Coach Cowher tried to move Hank Fraley onto the PS. Fraley's talent was in the open and the rest is history.

Fraley is not the best at pulling but he does very well at OL calls and picking up blitzers and movement in pass protection. I beleive he has signed long term with the Browns