PDA

View Full Version : Drama Queen to retire...supposedly

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/200 ... -to-t.html (http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/02/espn-favre-to-t.html)

Favre to tell Jets he'll retire

Brett Favre has told the New York Jets he will retire.

In a one-word response to USA TODAY, Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said the story ESPN broke this morning that the 18-year veteran intends to retire is true.

"Confirmed," Cook told USA TODAY.

The Jets had told Favre they wanted to know this month so that they could begin to make plans for next season.

Favre, 39, initially retired from the Packers last year before changing his mind. He returned to Green Bay when training camp started, and the Packers traded him to the Jets in August.

Favre told ESPN in an e-mail that he does not regret ending his career with the Jets instead of the Packers.

The e-mail read:

"Mike and Woody, as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding,'' Favre said in the email. "My teammates -- Thomas (Jones) and Kerry (Rhodes) included -- were a pleasure to play with. Eric (Mangini) could not have been any better. I enjoyed playing for him. My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance.''

Jones and Rhodes were critical of Favre after the season when the team's 8-3 start fizzled to a 9-7, non-playoffs finish.

The Jets have not confirmed the move. A team official on Wednesday night said they had not official word, but that "could change at any minute."

Djfan
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I officially refuse to get into this conversation.

Steelgal
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I flipped through and saw it on ESPN a bit ago. This is the first time I actually think that he will stay retired. I mean, would you want to come back to a Jets team that has a new coach, not in good salary cap position, and had a few teammates speak out badly against you? It's just not an ideal situation IMO. NOw if they would release him and he could be picked up by say.....Minnesota, that's a completely different story. But I don't think they'll do that, so I say he's done.

Scarletfire1970
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Ben is way too young to retire. Besides, he's got to get us a few more lombardi's before he goes.

:tt1 :moon

MeetJoeGreene
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
In May, Favre will say they Jets forced his hand and he wants to come back... and play for the Cardinals after Warner retires.

Discipline of Steel
02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
In May, Favre will say they Jets forced his hand and he wants to come back... and play for the Cardinals after Warner retires.

Please stop!

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
When the summer roles around he will get the itch again. Dude struggles to live the family life. Just become a coach or analyst and be done with it. I still think he wants a shot at the Vikings gig.

I won't believe it until he spends 2 years out of the league...

aggiebones
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
That whole episode was painful.
All Bret did was lose some luster and help people forget the good. He was exposed a bit in 2 locker rooms for this last season, which was crap for him anyway. Sometimes, stick with your first instinct.

proudpittsburgher
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Can we all just say what we are thinking? Who cares anymore. He's cried wolf so many times, that we shouldn't care anymoe.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Now that Favre is gone, some smart alecky New York reporter should ask Faneca if he will be excited about playing with a rookie QB this time. :twisted:

Steeler Shades
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Ben is way too young to retire. Besides, he's got to get us a few more lombardi's before he goes.

:tt1 :moon
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

anger 82&95
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
"Well... Bye." Tombstone

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
That whole episode was painful.
All Bret did was lose some luster and help people forget the good. He was exposed a bit in 2 locker rooms for this last season, which was crap for him anyway. Sometimes, stick with your first instinct.

living in NYC it was hilarious.. SB talk... 14-2..12-4... he is the missing piece. Then when Pennington came back for that last game everyone knew what was about to happen. They weren't even mad about it. They knew they dug their own grave and just dove in head first and gave Chad the shovel.

proudpittsburgher
02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
All Brett did was beat around the bush, again. Held his team (Packers) hostage. threw them all under the bus. Got traded to the Jets, and was handed to Mangini who didn't want him. Cost the Jets a playoff spot that they would have gotten with Pennington at the helm. And cost Mangini his job. Then, he leaves. Thanks for nothing, Brett. He has completely tarnished everything he accomplished over a very good career. Hall of Fame, yes, you can;t keep him out, but he's quickly becomming that cousin who you are embarrased to claim. I hope he stays retired this time and stops hogging the headlines.

Mick'sTeam
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
This is bitter sweet for me. Sweet in that Favre is finally retiring and I don't have to hear about him anymore. I got sick of that "is he retiring or is he not" crap three years ago. Bitter, because I would love for Brett's old a$$ to continue trying to play just to prove what a selfish jerk he is.