PDA

View Full Version : I gotta confess, there was a time when I thought Ben maybe..

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-11-2009, 02:24 AM
... was kind of not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Remember when he was throwing all those interceptions, and getting shellacked because he wouldn't throw the ball?

I thought maybe he just didn't have the smarts to ever learn how to go through a progression of receivers, that he just maybe knew how to check out the primary receiver, then stare him down so the D could pick him off.

I was so wrong. He has got to be one of the smartest QBs, with the quickest reads, in the NFL. Several times in the Superbowl, for example THE GAME WINNING THROW, he went through multiple reads at lightning speed.

I think someday we will look back at this season and realize that he was forged and tested under fire - with that O line, he was either going to adapt and learn to become the Evelyn Wood of QBs (Speed Reading in 30 days, or your money back!), or he'd be pulverized into a quivering mass before the end of the season (like a few of us on the board were worried about).

Thanks for sucking so much at the start of the year, O-line - you have made Ben what he is now - an unstoppable beast.

I'm sorry Ben! :Bow :Bow :Bow

WoodleyofTroy
02-11-2009, 03:32 AM
You don't go three seasons making plays all over the field to standing in the pocket, hesistant to move around, taking sacks if there isn't something wrong. I thought it was quite obvious throughout the season that he was playing hurt. Nothing to do with his ability as a QB. I think it was the Patriots game and on where you started to see him get healthy.

Scarletfire1970
02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Despite the stats this year, I thought Ben had progressed as a QB especially at reading defenses. Our oline had problems and Ben's stats weren't the best, but whose would be with that brutal schedule we had to play. Seems we were playing a top 5 defense nearly every week. Not many cupcake games this year. But it worked out and I think it made our offense and our QB better for it.

Djfan
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I have no problem with Ben getting medium ranking in yards passing. I just want to have a great passing game when we need it, not be pass first.

Steeler Shades
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Link? How many posts did you actually express your doubts about Ben.....before you became enlightened? 8)

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Remember when he was throwing all those interceptions, and getting shellacked because he wouldn't throw the ball?

I thought maybe he just didn't have the smarts to ever learn how to go through a progression of receivers, that he just maybe knew how to check out the primary receiver, then stare him down so the D could pick him off.

I was so wrong. He has got to be one of the smartest QBs, with the quickest reads, in the NFL. Several times in the Superbowl, for example THE GAME WINNING THROW, he went through multiple reads at lightning speed.

I think someday we will look back at this season and realize that he was forged and tested under fire - with that O line, he was either going to adapt and learn to become the Evelyn Wood of QBs (Speed Reading in 30 days, or your money back!), or he'd be pulverized into a quivering mass before the end of the season (like a few of us on the board were worried about).

Thanks for sucking so much at the start of the year, O-line - you have made Ben what he is now - an unstoppable beast.

I'm sorry Ben! :Bow :Bow :Bow

:Clap Nice work, SASF! Way to man up and admit that you were wrong about one of your previously-held Steeler-related opinions. That's how it is done!

Now what are the chances that some other folks would something similar regarding their views about Coach Tomlin? :?

Djfan
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
From the sounds of things, one un-named person who thinks Tomlin sucks has asked to have his name changed. If so, kudos for keeping his (or her) word.

Steeler Shades
02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
From the sounds of things, one un-named person who thinks Tomlin sucks has asked to have his name changed. If so, kudos for keeping his (or her) word.
:tt2 :Clap :tt2
8)

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I think this is where the fans labeled Ben bashers should catch a break. As stated above we watched Ben shred D's for 4 years and then he just stopped throwing the ball and running during a stretch this year. Some of it was due to the WR route philosophy of going 15 yards before turning around.... but I think Ben wasn't practicing at all for weeks and it showed when Lefty came in.

We blamed Arians and the OL when I think a lot of it was on Ben's hurt shoulder.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Link? How many posts did you actually express your doubts about Ben.....before you became enlightened? 8)

I don't think I ever posted my doubts, as I was never a Ben Basher, even in my mind ... the word "maybe" in this post's title is important. I've been much more of a Ben advocate, taking my frustration out on Ariens in these posts.

But it was in the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind that there was a quiet, persistent voice that wouldn't shut up, that I tried as hard as I could to ignore...

That's what I was talking about here.

I'm glad that voice is banished forever!!

RussBII
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
We blamed Arians and the OL when I think a lot of it was on Ben's hurt shoulder.

I still say some of the play calling was suspect, but ok, that can be learned. I think the playoffs really showed us what a healthy Ben can do....

Now, the OL not being the best in protection directly effects Ben's health.

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 05:19 PM

I still say some of the play calling was suspect, but ok, that can be learned. I think the playoffs really showed us what a healthy Ben can do....

Now, the OL not being the best in protection directly effects Ben's health.

the deep routes and 7 steps were definitely Arians problem. But Lefty showed that Ben wasn't recognizing something within the offense and after the Washington game Ben was pretty good from that point on. Minus an INT or 2.

We watched Ben for 5 years and I never remember seeing Ben look like he did during those 20 straight quarters. I don't think it was wrong for any fan of the Steelers to wonder what the hell was going on.

Steeler Shades
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't think I ever posted my doubts, as I was never a Ben Basher, even in my mind ... the word "maybe" in this post's title is important. I've been much more of a Ben advocate, taking my frustration out on Ariens in these posts.

But it was in the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind that there was a quiet, persistent voice that wouldn't shut up, that I tried as hard as I could to ignore...

That's what I was talking about here.

I'm glad that voice is banished forever!!
Thanks. Glad the voice is banished..........hopefully forever. 8)

mshifko
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
we didn't exactly play the softest schedule...that's what people were forgetting all season long...

ben is a great winner and a great player...i am proud to have him as our quarterback. i think that what he brings to the table is greater than his downfalls...

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
we didn't exactly play the softest schedule...that's what people were forgetting all season long...

ben is a great winner and a great player...i am proud to have him as our quarterback. i think that what he brings to the table is greater than his downfalls...

True... we expect so much we get greedy. Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4.

Steeler Shades
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4.
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? 8)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4.
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? 8)

:?:

Captain Lemming
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I think this is where the fans labeled Ben bashers should catch a break. As stated above we watched Ben shred D's for 4 years and then he just stopped throwing the ball and running during a stretch this year. Some of it was due to the WR route philosophy of going 15 yards before turning around.... but I think Ben wasn't practicing at all for weeks and it showed when Lefty came in.

When Lefty came in, and play improved, I advocated letting Ben sit, TO HEAL, not because of any loss of confidence in him.
I felt we could win with Lefty, and Ben could return a couple weeks before the post season.

I did not think line play would improve as it did allowing Ben to heal while playing. I perceived that Ben injuries would mount, and his play continue to deteriorate.

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM

:wft

Our D will always be better then our O. But again...

:wft

Scarletfire1970
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
While our D played some pretty potent offenses for a few games, it seemed our offense was playing against a top 5 - 10 defense nearly every week. Take for example the Baltimore games, this isn't a team our defense should be scared of, but it is a game our offense will have a tough time in. Same with Philly, Washington, and even the Giants to some extent.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? 8) :wft

"Our D will always be better then our O." Why? Do we spend more money on the defensive players and coaches than the offensive personnel? Our offense and defense played the same schedule, yet one unit was "ranked" 22 spots higher than the other unit out of a possible 32. Certainly playing some tougher defenses might account for some difference, but 22 of 32? Big difference. 8)

Djfan
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4.
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? 8) :wft

"Our D will always be better then our O." Why? Do we spend more money on the defensive players and coaches than the offensive personnel? Our offense and defense played the same schedule, yet one unit was "ranked" 22 spots higher than the other unit out of a possible 32. Certainly playing some tougher defenses might account for some difference, but 22 of 32? Big difference. 8)[/quote:3mpsad4e]

I think I know why.

Scarletfire1970
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4.

"Our D will always be better then our O." Why? Do we spend more money on the defensive players and coaches than the offensive personnel? Our offense and defense played the same schedule, yet one unit was "ranked" 22 spots higher than the other unit out of a possible 32. Certainly playing some tougher defenses might account for some difference, but 22 of 32? Big difference. 8)[/quote:1yu51rmb]Our defensive scheme and personnel was significantly better than the offensive scheme and personnel, mainly because of our problems related to the offensive line. They struggled early on and improved a bit as the season went on, but the line was our weakest link on the team all season. It was the main reason for our poor offensive performances in many games.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Our D will always be better then our O. But again..."Our D will always be better then our O." Why? Do we spend more money on the defensive players and coaches than the offensive personnel? Our offense and defense played the same schedule, yet one unit was "ranked" 22 spots higher than the other unit out of a possible 32. Certainly playing some tougher defenses might account for some difference, but 22 of 32? Big difference. 8)Our defensive scheme and personnel was significantly better than the offensive scheme and personnel.....
I agree that the defense was better, but if equal money is spent on personnel and coaching for both units, WHY is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" and WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1? 8)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Our D will always be better then our O. But again..."Our D will always be better then our O." Why? Do we spend more money on the defensive players and coaches than the offensive personnel? Our offense and defense played the same schedule, yet one unit was "ranked" 22 spots higher than the other unit out of a possible 32. Certainly playing some tougher defenses might account for some difference, but 22 of 32? Big difference. 8)Our defensive scheme and personnel was significantly better than the offensive scheme and personnel.....
I agree that the defense was better, but if equal money is spent on personnel and coaching for both units, WHY is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" and WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1? 8)[/quote:1u53i5ny]

we run a 3-4 zone blitz that no one in the league can duplicate. This is why every QB we face look like Montana before they face us and Bubby Brister after the game?

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Our D will always be better then our O.... :wft

we run a 3-4 zone blitz that no one in the league can duplicate. :wft
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why can't anyone duplicate the 3-4 zone defense?
Again, why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" and WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1? 8)

stlrz d
02-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Again, why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" and WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1? 8)

Because the guy who created it is on our sideline. And because he is a master at tailoring it to his personnel. Other teams put it in place but can't quite do it like LeBeau.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Our D will always be better then our O.... :wft

we run a 3-4 zone blitz that no one in the league can duplicate. :wft
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SS - Asking the same :?: multiple times in multiple ways, I'm guessing you have a point to make, that maybe isn't well understood by others. I'm interested in knowing what you'd like to get across in this thread - can you rephrase?

Thanks -

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 05:34 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":xm9su8qo]Why can't anyone duplicate the 3-4 zone defense?Because the guy who created it is on our sideline. And because he is a master at tailoring it to his personnel. Other teams put it in place but can't quite do it like LeBeau.[/quote:xm9su8qo]
Makes sense. But even LeBeau will not coach forever, and if his assistants can do the same thing then so can other teams. Thus the question: "why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" ? 8)

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
SS - Asking the same :?: multiple times in multiple ways, I'm guessing you have a point to make, that maybe isn't well understood by others. I'm interested in knowing what you'd like to get across in this thread - can you rephrase?

Thanks -
Sure. I don't believe the following and have asked the OP several times for clarification of his statements.

#1. There is absolutely no reason why our defense will always be better than our offense. None. Personnel change as well as coaches and the balance between who is available in the draft vs injuries will effect which unit is better at any given time. Thus the question: why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" ?

#2. "Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4."
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? I don't know how to be any more clear about this question as I have re-phrased it once already. WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1?
8)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 05:49 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":32hyi3rq]

Because the guy who created it is on our sideline. And because he is a master at tailoring it to his personnel. Other teams put it in place but can't quite do it like LeBeau.[/quote:32hyi3rq]

thank you.. damn.. i thought it was obvious.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":scexn8xf]
Again, why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" and WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1? 8)Because the guy who created it is on our sideline. And because he is a master at tailoring it to his personnel. Other teams put it in place but can't quite do it like LeBeau.thank you.. damn.. i thought it was obvious.[/quote:scexn8xf]
.....even LeBeau will not coach forever, and if his assistants can do the same thing then so can other teams. Thus the question: "why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" ? 8)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3n8c1xin][quote="Steeler Shades":3n8c1xin]Why can't anyone duplicate the 3-4 zone defense?Because the guy who created it is on our sideline. And because he is a master at tailoring it to his personnel. Other teams put it in place but can't quite do it like LeBeau.[/quote:3n8c1xin]
Makes sense. But even LeBeau will not coach forever, and if his assistants can do the same thing then so can other teams. Thus the question: "why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" ? 8)[/quote:3n8c1xin]

often imitated... never duplicated. Why do you think his assistants can do the same thing? There is a reason players love LeBeau like a father... c'mon shades.. you cannot be serious about that.

As far as the reason our D will always be better then our O....again, are you serious?
it's the Steeler tradition.. the Rooney way..

it's the reason Whiz took the AZ job... he knew we hired Defensive minded coaches...

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I just have to say... :wft one more time..

I just found the whole "our assistants can do what Lebeau does" funny..

it's like saying trade Ben cause Dixon can do what Ben does... you know, run and throw...

I have never read any stories about how our assistants are more then ready and Lebeau can move on...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks -
Sure. I don't believe the following and have asked the OP several times for clarification of his statements.

#1. There is absolutely no reason why our defense will always be better than our offense. None. Personnel change as well as coaches and the balance between who is available in the draft vs injuries will effect which unit is better at any given time. Thus the question: why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O" ?

#2. "Our ranking of 23 on Offensive is misleading. With our schedule I think we played the rope a dope a few games last year. Our schedule was hell and we went 12-4."
Our defense did play the same schedule.....right? If the schedule is responsible for the rankings shouldn't our defense have finished the season at #23 also? I don't know how to be any more clear about this question as I have re-phrased it once already. WHY if both units played the same schedule is it "justifiable" that one unit was ranked 23 out of 32 and the other ranked #1?
8)

Gotcha, thanks. BTW, if "OP" means original poster, it wasn't, because that was me!

FWIW, I'll put in my :2c on your two points:

1) I think the points you bring up are good ones - $, time, and injuries can help to level a playing field between D and O. Possibly missing in that kind of analysis IMO is acknowledging that the "corporate culture" can affect this, possibly quite strongly. Here's an analogy: What if someone said "Apple will always be more creative in its product development than IBM". Even if IBM budgeted twice what Apple did, it might still be hard for them to be more creative, the statement might have more than a bit of truth in it. It's just that white shirt/black tie/black coffee vs. Birkenstocks/Nehru shirt/double machiatto with a twist kind of thing.

I think someone could reasonably say that we are the Apple of NFL defenses.

2) "Our D is #1, our O is #23 - how can that be?" . Here maybe the same points you bring up in #1 can help answer this one - injuries to our O that aren't matched by the other teams's D; other teams might put more emphasis on their D than their O (Sh*t birds in B'more for example); unlucky draw on our part to play our games against teams whose D is in the upper tier in the league, but maybe the offenses we've played have not been.

That last one is searchable ... what was the average D vs O standing of the teams we played this year?

ANyway, that's more than my :2c , there's at least a little bit of :Blah there, sorry!

Scarletfire1970
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
In short, it was a tough schedule for our Offense, not our defense so much. The only tricky games they had were the Colts which we lost and Dallas which was aided by the fact we played them in December in Pittsburgh where Tony Romo morphs into Ryan Leaf. Our D lucked out by not having to face the Patriots with Brady. And when we played the Giants it was without a healthy Plax, but we still lost.

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
In short, it was a tough schedule for our Offense, not our defense so much. The only tricky games they had were the Colts which we lost and Dallas which was aided by the fact we played them in December in Pittsburgh where Tony Romo morphs into Ryan Leaf. Our D lucked out by not having to face the Patriots with Brady. And when we played the Giants it was without a healthy Plax, but we still lost.

True..

but the Steelers have always been defense first... I have never in my 30+ years of watching Steeler football remembered our O carry our D through a season.

The only thing our O was better at then our D is converting third and longs..LOL!

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM

it's like saying trade Ben cause Dixon can do what Ben does... you know, run and throw...

I have never read any stories about how our assistants are more then ready and Lebeau can move on...
You need to work on your reading comprehension. Here is the statement (again):
"But even LeBeau will not coach forever, and if his assistants can do the same thing then so can other teams."
I didn't say his assistants COULD do the same, I said IF they could then other teams could also. I happen to agree that LeBeau's assistants can NOT do what he can, and assuming that LeBeau won't coach FOREVER, then let me ask once AGAIN.....why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O"? 8)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM

"But even LeBeau will not coach forever, and if his assistants can do the same thing then so can other teams."
I didn't say his assistants COULD do the same, I said IF they could then other teams could also. I happen to agree that LeBeau's assistants can NOT do what he can, and assuming that LeBeau won't coach FOREVER, then let me ask once AGAIN.....why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O"? 8)

now anyone, anyone read what shades just wrote and tell me this guy isn't sippin on the sizzurp.

Steeler football.. if you don't know.. I can't tell you any other way.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Possibly missing in that kind of analysis IMO is acknowledging that the "corporate culture" can affect this, possibly quite strongly. Here's an analogy: What if someone said "Apple will always be more creative in its product development than IBM". Even if IBM budgeted twice what Apple did, it might still be hard for them to be more creative, the statement might have more than a bit of truth in it. It's just that white shirt/black tie/black coffee vs. Birkenstocks/Nehru shirt/double machiatto with a twist kind of thing.

I think someone could reasonably say that we are the Apple of NFL defenses.
I appreciate the analogy. Let me ask you this....Is it completely impossible, or just unlikely that IBM will ever be as creative in product development as Apple? Add in the NFL's salary caps, FAs and relatively short career terms and how can ANYBODY say with any degree of certainty, that "our D will always be better then our O"?

Here maybe the same points you bring up in #1 can help answer this one - injuries to our O that aren't matched by the other teams's D; other teams might put more emphasis on their D than their O (Sh*t birds in B'more for example); unlucky draw on our part to play our games against teams whose D is in the upper tier in the league, but maybe the offenses we've played have not been.

That last one is searchable ... what was the average D vs O standing of the teams we played this year?
I agree that someone (with either more interest or time than I) could research what the average offensive rankings of the teams we played vs the avg defensive rankings, and that may help to explain why our defense was #1 and or offense was #23. I think (as best as I recall) that our injuries were pretty much equal on both sides of the ball. It is difficult for me to believe that the offenses we played were so much worse than the Ds that it would result in such a wide disparity in rankings. But if indeed that is the case.....what does that do to the argument about this year's defense being one of the best? It would seem that if they played against offenses that were so MUCH worse than the Ds our offenses played against, that their #1 ranking would have been earned against some very weak teams. 8)

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I didn't say his assistants COULD do the same, I said IF they could then other teams could also. I happen to agree that LeBeau's assistants can NOT do what he can, and assuming that LeBeau won't coach FOREVER, then let me ask once AGAIN.....why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O"? 8)now anyone, anyone read what shades just wrote and tell me this guy isn't sippin on the sizzurp....
Certainly no one but you responded to it that way.

As to the explanation that our D will always be better than our O because that is Steeler football....I will say that recent history may support your theory but common sense would indicate that it is possible for our offense to improve and our defense to decrease to the point where the offense becomes the better unit. If it is possible then your statement that "our D will always be better then our O" cannot be accurate. 8)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Shades I know when I say our O will never be better then our D you go into the scientist prove the absolute theory.. but dude. The point of my statement is our D is the backbone of our team. Always has and always will be unless we change owners.

and when I say always has I mean since the 1970's... not since our inception.

I have a question for you.

when has our offense been better then our defense in the last 35 years?

When Lebeau retires we will replace him with whoever he has mentored. Now remember when teams tried to go 3-4 back when it was all the rage? Most teams couldn't do it effectively because it takes too much time and discipline to master and draft for.

I think that's why after Lebeau retires we will keep running t and others will try to imitate it but they will fail.

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":31qdgqgg]You need to work on your reading comprehension. Here is the statement (again):
I didn't say his assistants COULD do the same, I said IF they could then other teams could also. I happen to agree that LeBeau's assistants can NOT do what he can, and assuming that LeBeau won't coach FOREVER, then let me ask once AGAIN.....why is it that "Our D will always be better then our O"? 8)now anyone, anyone read what shades just wrote and tell me this guy isn't sippin on the sizzurp....
Certainly no one but you responded to it that way.

As to the explanation that our D will always be better than our O because that is Steeler football....I will say that recent history may support your theory but common sense would indicate that it is possible for our offense to improve and our defense to decrease to the point where the offense becomes the better unit. If it is possible then your statement that "our D will always be better then our O" cannot be accurate. 8)[/quote:31qdgqgg]

I knew all this wasn't about the actual evidence we have had over the last 40 years.. just over the word always. But until they day comes.. I am all knowing and our D will always be better then our O.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
When Lebeau retires we will replace him with whoever he has mentored. Now remember when teams tried to go 3-4 back when it was all the rage? Most teams couldn't do it effectively because it takes too much time and discipline to master and draft for.

I think that's why after Lebeau retires we will keep running t and others will try to imitate it but they will fail.
When LeBeau retires we will replace him with who? One of his assistants that he has mentored? What about the following post?

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I knew all this wasn't about the actual evidence we have had over the last 40 years.. just over the word always. But until they day comes.. I am all knowing and our D will always be better then our O.
I didn't check every year, but the first year that I looked at our offense ranked better than our D. You may want to do some more research of the past 40 years to see if it never happened before. Does this mean that you are NOT all knowing and that it is possible for our O to be better than our D? 8)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistic ... &year=2002 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2002)

feltdizz
02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I didn't check every year, but the first year that I looked at our offense ranked better than our D. You may want to do some more research of the past 40 years to see if it never happened before. Does this mean that you are NOT all knowing and that it is possible for our O to be better than our D? 8)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistic ... &year=2002 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?sort=ypg&stat=team&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2002)

You are too funny. You must be a lawyer... that's why I said all this back and forth wasn't about the actual evidence... It was just about the word ALWAYS....

I knew our D has had down years.. and have been ranked 10 or 11(the horror).
I don't expect our O to rank above our D anytime soon though and I don't care if it ever does.

I give 2 sh#ts about our Offensive or Defensive rankings on paper..

the whole "O being ranked 23" meant nothing on our last drive.

Steeler Shades
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM

You are too funny. You must be a lawyer... that's why I said all this back and forth wasn't about the actual evidence... It was just about the word ALWAYS....

I don't expect our O to rank above our D anytime soon though and I don't care if it ever does.

Turns out it was about the actual evidence and you were wrong. I know you're embarrassed, but it's OK. Everybody looks foolish sometimes. 8)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5448 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5448)

Turns out we were not the only team with big spreads between offensive and defensive performance - Browns #3 in offense, #22 in defense, for example.

Also, the offenses we played were barely better than average (15.7 of 32 in the regular season). The defenses we played were a bit more competitive (11.7 of 32 in the regular season).

I wish I had the raw data so I could just punch one number and find out how the other teams did in this kind of comparison. I have a feeling 80-90% of them would be bunched up within a few of each other (like maybe between 14 of 32 and 17 of 32), but I'm not sure how this would work out.

Hopefully this helps with this discussion a bit ... :2c

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
OUR D WILL http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/70219/200.jpg BE BETTER THAN OUR O :lol:

feltdizz
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
[quote=feltdizz]I knew all this wasn't about the actual evidence we have had over the last 40 years.. just over the word always. But until they day comes.. I am all knowing and our D will always be better then our O.

Turns out it was about the actual evidence and you were wrong. I know you're embarrassed, but it's OK. Everybody looks foolish sometimes. 8)[/quote:1ywpq8q9]

if you think this makes me look foolish then kudos to you.. :Clap you get a pickle!

you are the only one I know who will use 2002 as proof the Steelers are not a D first team.

I forgot how obsessed you get with always and never