PDA

View Full Version : Billick breaks down Dick Lebeau's 3-4

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Pretty cool video of Billick breakind down a couple defensive plays. For some reason I don't dislike Billick now that he is no longer with the Ravens. He seems like the type that would give the Steelers their due.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80df8a63

I find what he says at the end about Lebeau, creating the defense to utilize the talents that his players have, and wonder if Arians has learned anything from Lebeau. He could learn a thing or two about using your players to their talents.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting!

Can I ask a dumb question please? With Harrison and Wood playing on the line so often (like at 0:24 in that video), is it really proper to call it a 3-4 defense? To me, it looks almost like a 5-4 defense - Hampton, the two DEs, and then the two outside LBs.

Can someone set me straight here?

Thanks!

papillon
02-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting!

Can I ask a dumb question please? With Harrison and Wood playing on the line so often (like at 0:24 in that video), is it really proper to call it a 3-4 defense? To me, it looks almost like a 5-4 defense - Hampton, the two DEs, and then the two outside LBs.

Can someone set me straight here?

Thanks!

I know it's called the 34 now, but back in the day (circa 1977, 78, 79 and 80) while I was at Pitt and Ricky Jackson and Hugh Green were playing the Panthers used what they called the 52 defense. Jackson and Green lined up in a standing position with 3 down linemen, so, almost 30 years ago a form of this defense was being played but it was called the 52.

Probably, (well, certainly) wasn't as elaborate as Lebeau's version using the CBs to blitz and dropping linemen, etc., but it was being used.

So, I really can't set you straight, but, I did you give a bit of a University of Pittsburgh history lesson. :P

Pappy

Oviedo
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe if Billick was better breaking down LeBeau's defense he would still have a head coaching job.

I agree that Billick seems like less of an a$$ since he isn't a coach anymore.

Jooser
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Getting fired often helps one find humility. :wink:

Djfan
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I bet Billick works less now too. He may even make similar or better money. I don't know if I would give up the booth after winning a ring on the sidelines. This always comes to mind regarding Cowher. Why give up the cush, no pressure job for the sideline job that eats your calendar up?

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
When I was in HS we called it a 52 as well. 3 down linemen and 2 outside backers. But we played teams that had all 5 down on the line and called their D a 52 also. Kind of confusing...and lengthy to say, "52 with 5 down linemen".

I think the reason it became the 3-4 is to designate the number of down lineman and the number of linebackers without having to elaborate.

Btw, I still hate that arrogant bastard Billick. Some things will never change. He's a ratbird for life as far as I'm concerned. :ratsuck

pfelix73
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Correct. Simply because of the 3 down linemen it gets it's name out of that. We used to play a 11-0 defense where I went to college.------ just kidding!

I thought the Lions would've been smart to try and hire Billick as their HC.... Maybe he told them no.

MaxAMillion
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I hated Billick with the Ratbirds, but I like him as an analyst. He actually talks football instead of ranting and raving like most of those idiots on ESPN.

Wolfhound45
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Back when I was in 4th grade, playing in Catholic Youth League, we called that defensive alignment the "Wolfhound45" for the toughest guy on our team.

Similar to the 95 Bears and the 46 defense. Same concept.

:P

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Back when I was in 4th grade, playing in Catholic Youth League, we called that defensive alignment the "Wolfhound45" for the toughest guy on our team.

I think you're a decade late to the party. :P

Wolfhound45
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM

I think you're a decade late to the party. :P

Bad word you stlrz d, bad word you! :twisted:

Yeah, I caught that right after I posted it. :P

:Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

MeetJoeGreene
02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I hated Billick with the Ratbirds, but I like him as an analyst. He actually talks football instead of ranting and raving like most of those idiots on ESPN.

I feel the same way. At first I felt obligated to dislike him on principle. However, he is articulate and makes good points -- and he has not (that I have observed) been anti-Steelers... so he had grown on me.

ikestops85
02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Btw, I still hate that arrogant bastard Billick. Some things will never change. He's a ratbird for life as far as I'm concerned. :ratsuck

How dare you pick on an offensive genius :roll:

:twisted:

Djfan
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM

How dare you pick on an offensive genius :roll:

:twisted:

Why do you think he doesn't like Bruce A?

Slapstick
02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
For years, my high school played a 5-2 defense...

The 3-4 D is a variation of the 5-2 where OLBs are substituted for DEs...I believe it was created at Oklahoma U back in the 40s or 50s...Chuck Fairbanks brought the 3-4 alignment to the NFL (New England Patriots) from Oklahoma...

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Except that #46 Doug Plank was nowhere near as tough as Singletary, Hampton, Dent, McMichael, Marshall, etc.

Wolfhound45
02-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Except that #46 Doug Plank was nowhere near as tough as Singletary, Hampton, Dent, McMichael, Marshall, etc.

HEY! This is MY distorted version of reality. :twisted:

Go get your own form of insanity. :wink: