PDA

View Full Version : If you were Kevin Colbert...

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
If I were Kevin Colbert:

-Trade Willie Parker for a 2nd round pick. :stirpot

#32 - Eben Britton 6'5" OT Arizona
2nd - Duke Robinson 6'5" G Oklahoma
2nd - Max Unger 6'5" C Oregon
*No more playing musical chairs on the O-line.

3rd - Fili Moala DT/DE USC
3rd - Pat White WR/KR West Virginia
4th - Rashad Jennings RB Liberty

Sign: Dunta Robinson CB, Shaun Cody DE.
Re-up: Marvel Smith OT, Chris Kemoeatu G.
Losses: Max Starks OT, Bryant McFadden CB, Nate Washington WR.

Can you imagine that Offensive Line, with the additions of Mendenhall/Sweed, White/Jennings?

feltdizz
02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
No... although FWP took a step back this year Mendenhall still hasn't shown he is durable.

I would trade Matt Spaeh though.. he can't block.

and Sweed still hasn't shown he can catch.. these young guys are good but until I see it on an NFL field I'm not sold.

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
No... although FWP took a step back this year Mendenhall still hasn't shown he is durable.

and Sweed still hasn't shown he can catch.. these young guys are good but until I see it on an NFL field I'm not sold.

Something tells me you weren't sold on Lawrence Timmons either.

Discipline of Steel
02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I dont think we would get a 2nd round pick for Willie. or a 3rd. or Britton at #32. or Unger in the 2nd round. But it would not be a bad day at the draft if we did.

Ill hold on selecting my draft desires until I see what happens in free agency.

BURGH86STEEL
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Miller is just as inconsistent at blocking as Spaeth. Should they trade Miller too? I do not think they should trade anyone.

Mel Blount's G
02-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Last year I was vehemently opposed to 'trade willie' talks. Now, not so much. But consider:

- We would be taking a HUGE risk since Mendy is completely unproven still and I'm not convinced Moore is an every down back (though apparently neither is willie since he can't catch)
- I wouldn't resign Marvel. I do not believe he can/will play am entire season. I would resign starks though we'd overpay and risk another inconsistent, unmotivated season. And resign kemo and hope that we get a new oline coach that can speed up the development of his raw potential as well as that of Hills and any ol drafts
- I like your drafts but I'm not convinced those guys are even on the board at those picks. If so, I could be down with those. I have headr Robinson's work ethic questioned though.. Also know nothing about jennings and white
- I could deal w/ signing cb's Dunta or leigh bodden as long as thy're not lugging some hcarcter baggage with them and assuming b-mac opts for the big payday from elsewhere. Also would def consider the Cody signing.

Overall, I like your ideas here but I think yer overly optimistic thinking we'd get a #2 (well, maybe a low one) for fwp and that some of those big uglies will be on the board for us

Mel Blount's G
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Miller is just as inconsistent at blocking as Spaeth. Should they trade Miller too? I do not think they should trade anyone.
I disagree w/ those who say miller is a poor blocker. I think he's quite good for a TE

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I dont think we would get a 2nd round pick for Willie. or a 3rd. or Britton at #32. or Unger in the 2nd round. But it would not be a bad day at the draft if we did.

Not only did I not imagine Mendenhall or Sweed available at those spots on draft day, I didn't even contemplate it around this time last year. Anything is possible.

On a side note, what I like about this draft, and which would be a perfect opportunity to unload Parker, is how many top Offensive Lineman will be available from the end of the 1st round to the end of the 2nd.

Eben Britton OT
William Beatty OT
Alex Mack C
Max Unger C
Duke Robinson OG
Phil Loadholt OT

Colbert plays his cards right, we can be walking away with two of these top talents.

SidSmythe
02-10-2009, 06:32 PM

That's a reach . . . Miller is 10 times the blocker Spaeth is.
But at least Miller is a threat in the passing game . . . Spaeth is just a body.

Spaeth is Sean Mahan at TE

BURGH86STEEL
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM

I disagree w/ those who say miller is a poor blocker. I think he's quite good for a TE

I did not say he was a poor blocker. I said he is an inconsistent blocker. If you go back and watch some of the games, you will see what I am talking about. It is an area that both TEs need to work on improving. In any event, it is not enough to warrant trading a young player. Players can improve.

Steelhere10
02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
trade Willie? with Willie 7-0 in the playoffs. :wft :Binky :stirpot :nono :Binky :owned

BURGH86STEEL
02-10-2009, 06:55 PM

That's a reach . . . Miller is 10 times the blocker Spaeth is.
But at least Miller is a threat in the passing game . . . Spaeth is just a body.

Spaeth is Sean Mahan at TE

If you watched Millier in some of the games, you will see the inconsistency. Could be pass blocking or run blocking. Spaeth stepped up and played well when Miller was out with an injury. Spaeth is a threat in the passing game. It is about opportunities within the offense. When you have as many weapons as the Steelers, there are not enough balls to go around. Why are people so critical of young players?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Didn't Ben prove to you guys he doens't need an 0-Line?
Listen I know we need an 0-Linemen or 2 but this past year has shown the NFL that you can win it all without an 0-Line.

If I were Colbert--I would sign a good 0T--Such as Carey from the Dolphins and focus my draft on D-Line in the 1st 3 picks and get another o-lineman somewhere in the middle of the 3.

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Yeah with the Offense ranked in the 20's all season long was proof of that....

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Also know nothing about jennings

Rashad Jennings 6'1" 234, RB Liberty.
Good vision, able to change directions using quick feet. Can stiff-arm and run through tacklers in the open field by lowering his pads. Very good second gear once in the open. Runs tough inside, able to lean forward for additional yards. Looks natural catching the ball out of the backfield. Will keep his feet churning after contact and fight for the first down or goal line. Can hit an inside hole quickly. Surprisingly quick stop-start if the hole is not there immediately.

A Walter Camp All-American who transferred from Pittsburgh after a successful freshman season (411 rushing yards) to be closer to his father, who suffers from diabetes. Jennings had surgery on a broken pinky finger in early September last season, but still rushed for 1,500 yards (his third consecutive 1,000-yard season) with his bruising yet nimble running style(who does this remind you of?). The twice-named Big South Offensive Player of the Year also showed some versatility by making 24 receptions in 2008.

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Listen I know we need an 0-Linemen or 2 but this past year has shown the NFL that you can win it all without an 0-Line.

If I were Colbert--I would sign a good 0T--Such as Carey from the Dolphins and focus my draft on D-Line in the 1st 3 picks and get another o-lineman somewhere in the middle of the 3.

You're not going to get an argument from me if the Steelers went DL, in Tyson Jackson or Peria Jerry, because yeah Ben is a winner, but how long can Ben win before he's out of the league? For every big play, he's taking a big hit. Besides, he's NEVER had good pass protection. Hence leading the league in sacks since 2004.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM

You're not going to get an argument from me if the Steelers went DL, in Tyson Jackson or Peria Jerry, because yeah Ben is a winner, but how long can Ben win before he's out of the league? For every big play, he's taking a big hit. Besides, he's NEVER had good pass protection. Hence leading the league in sacks since 2004.

Defense wins championships!!!! And I am not saying we forget the offensive line all together. I think however d-line should be our 1st priority then o-line.

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Defense wins championships!!!! And I am not saying we forget the offensive line all together. I think however d-line should be our 1st priority then o-line.

If a Defensive Lineman is BPA over that Offensive Lineman (in each round), I'm all for it. But I don't like the DL prospects in round 2 or 3, compared to what we can get for the OL. And with all these teams going to a 3-4, our straws are getting shorter.

feltdizz
02-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Something tells me you weren't sold on Lawrence Timmons either.

I was.. but I didn't want him rushed. Same with Woodley his first year.
RB is different though.. the punishment they take makes them prone to injury.

as far as the point that was made about our O being 20th and Ben taking punishment. Ben did not take punishment the second half of the season, no more then any other QB would. Once we adjusted to the 3 and 5 step and shorten the routes we were good.

Ben will always take hits though... it's his style.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM

Not only did I not imagine Mendenhall or Sweed available at those spots on draft day, I didn't even contemplate it around this time last year. Anything is possible.

On a side note, what I like about this draft, and which would be a perfect opportunity to unload Parker, is how many top Offensive Lineman will be available from the end of the 1st round to the end of the 2nd.

Eben Britton OT
William Beatty OT
Alex Mack C
Max Unger C
Duke Robinson OG
Phil Loadholt OT

Colbert plays his cards right, we can be walking away with two of these top talents.

I would predict that perhaps half of those guys could be off the board by the time pick #32 rolls around, and they should all be gone before #64.

WoodleyofTroy
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I would predict that perhaps half of those guys could be off the board by the time pick #32 rolls around, and they should all be gone before #64.

I'll predict one will be gone at #32, and that's Philly going with either Britton or Beatty.

Chadman
02-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Something tells Chadman that the Cards will look hard at Alex Mack, and Philly will look at OT- Chargers might look at Duke Robinson too- so the Steelers might see far less of those options than you would hope.

feltdizz might have it right though- it could be a large chunk of Ben's 'style' that he takes sacks, and no amount of elite talent can 'save' him.

If it was Chadman- he'd focus on 2 areas in Round 1- interior OL or RT- because no LT option will be worthy of a first round pick at #32. If Mack, Robinson & Britton are all gone, Chadman would look at Max Unger or Phil Loadholt.

Given that the FO seems happy with Colon at RT, Unger could be 'the' pick. He could then be used as an OG for a couple of years before moving into OC.

It could be a good year to 'trade up' considering they pick at the end of every round & have far fewer needs than in previous years.

Chadman would like to secure the NT position for the future early- and Terrence Taylor from Michigan in Round 2 might fit the bill.

If he's on the board in the middle of Round 3, the Steelers could burn a 5th & a 3rd to move up & gran Jason Watkins from Florida in the middke of Round 3 to be the future LT. With the comp pick likely to be a 3rd rounder, that would give you a middle round & late round 3rd round pick- perhaps use the comp pick on a CB like Keenan Lucas?

Then, the Steelers could look at grabbing a young DE to learn behind Aaron Smith. They could even package the 4th round pick & Larry Foote to move up to Detroits #1 pick in Round 4 to ensure they get the best pickings in that round. A guy like Darryl Richard from Georgia would be good here.

Then with your 6th & 7th round picks grab a RT (Cornelius Lewis from East Tenn sounds good) & a slot WR (Quan Crosby?).

The smart thing for the Steelers to do is secure either the LT, RT, OG or CB positions in FA (2 would be ideal- LT & CB)

If they can re-sign Starks (or Smith if his back is ok), or grab a FA like Gross (unlikely), then the Steelers don't need to 'reach' for LT. Orlando Pace might get cut loose- he would be worth a flyer for a year or two. At CB, if McFadden isn't re-signed, Chadman isn't as worried as some. As some have mentioned, Leigh Bodden & Dunta Robinson could be persued, but there will be other 'solid' options at CB in FA to look at if McFadden (who is a sound, but not great player) goes elsewhere.

The key to the Steelers draft will be FA. If they can go in with as few needs as possible, they should be able to draft well.

Djfan
02-11-2009, 10:16 AM
The key to the Steelers draft will be FA. If they can go in with as few needs as possible, they should be able to draft well.

My only response to this is that there are many contracts with only one year left that we need to shore up. I'm not sure we have as much cap room as many think we do after signing these "must haves".

We build through the draft, and rarely get an FA to fill in. It works.

WoodleyofTroy
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

My only response to this is that there are many contracts with only one year left that we need to shore up. I'm not sure we have as much cap room as many think we do after signing these "must haves".

We build through the draft, and rarely get an FA to fill in. It works.

Exactly. FA is never a key around here.

Oviedo
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM

I agree. There is nothing wrong with making a sharp sword sharper and more lethal.

If Ty Jackson or Peria Jerry are sitting and waiting at 1.32 I would take them particularly Jackson.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

I agree. There is nothing wrong with making a sharp sword sharper and more lethal.

If Ty Jackson or Peria Jerry are sitting and waiting at 1.32 I would take them particularly Jackson.

I would have no problem with that. I think 3 out of our first 4 picks should be in the trenches on both sides of the ball. If it so happens that the BPA in the first is a DL and not an OL, so be it. I would then target OL in round 2. I could see us coming out of this draft with 4-5 linemen (a DE, NT, OT, and 1-2 interior o-linemen in some order). I'm not overly concerned about whether they take a DL or OL in the first round. I would be happy with Jackson or Jerry there (I would have said Raji would have been a potential target a month or two ago, but it looks like his stock as shot up into the upper half of the first round and out of our range).

feltdizz
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I think we go DL in round 1 and then go after a few OL later on with a CB or PR/KR sprinkled in. We need run blockers who can get a push... and if it isn't there we will go BPA which means defense.

I really think the fans will once again call Colbert crazy and say Ben will get killed.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I think we go DL in round 1 and then go after a few OL later on with a CB or PR/KR sprinkled in. We need run blockers who can get a push... and if it isn't there we will go BPA which means defense.

I really think the fans will once again call Colbert crazy and say Ben will get killed.

Colbert is crazy!

Ben will get killed!

:lol: