PDA

View Full Version : So Does Tomlin Deserve coach of the year??

MeetJoeGreene
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
... now that he has beat Whiz and won the Super Bowl?

I say yes. Anyone else care to chime in or change their previous stance?

Steelgal
02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I think he was a good choice, but also felt that there were others. I wouldn't have minded if Tomlin, Mike Smith, Sparano, or Harbaugh would have won it. I thought all were deserving.

proudpittsburgher
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
It's hard to argue with Sparano, a guy who took a team which nearly made history by going winless a year ago, to the playoffs. That being said . . . Mike Tomlin's resume is pretty solid as well. Toughest schedule, 12-4 record, super bowl in his second year, team plagued by injuries. . . yea, if I'm Mike Tomlin, I'm not embarrased to accept the mantle. But I really think these things should not be voted on by the fans.

Ozey74
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Tomlin's being so young, the schedule difficulty, and the fact that he won the SB IMO earn him the award.

:tt2

stlrz d
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
... now that he has beat Whiz and won the Super Bowl?

I say yes. Anyone else care to chime in or change their previous stance?

Well, "some" posters used that as their criteria, so I guess for them the answer is a resounding yes.

Or Yes Sir if you will. :D

AngryAsian
02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
yes

Jigawatts
02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
At least three draft busts, the stingy Rooney family, a drama queen QB who holds onto
the ball too much, and no Chucky Okobi.

How can he not be coach of the year?

Woooooooooo!!!

Starlifter
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
c'mon guys. you know the drill. In order to win coach of the year you must either have really sucked first or your team must have really sucked. There is no reward for consistent excellence. the steelers are expected to win every year. We could have a perfect season and he still wouldn't win, after all - we're the steelers and we're supposed to have success every year. The only award tomlin will ever receive is if we fail to have a winning season they'll give him the 'goat of the year'.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I'll stick with Mike Smith #1 and Tony Sparano #2 for coach of the year, just like the voting turned out. Sure Tomlin had to overcome injuries and a tough schedule, but the fact is that the Steelers were a playoff team last year. On the other hand, the Falcons and Dolphins were the absolute dregs of the league. One team had their their coach bail on them in the middle of last season and the face of the franchise was sentenced to federal prison, while the other team was only one win better last year than Detroit was this year...and yet both teams somehow managed to make the playoffs (while the preseason Super Bowl favorites in New England and Dallas were home watching from their couches). Remarkable results for a couple of rookie head coaches. For once, I think the football writers got something right.

TCB
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I'll stick with Mike Smith #1 and Tony Sparano #2 for coach of the year, just like the voting turned out. Sure Tomlin had to overcome injuries and a tough schedule, but the fact is that the Steelers were a playoff team last year. On the other hand, the Falcons and Dolphins were the absolute dregs of the league. One team had their their coach bail on them in the middle of last season and the face of the franchise was sentenced to federal prison, while the other team was only one win better last year than Detroit was this year...and yet both teams somehow managed to make the playoffs (while the preseason Super Bowl favorites in New England and Dallas were home watching from their couches). Remarkable results for a couple of rookie head coaches. For once, I think the football writers got something right.

:Agree

A strong case can be made for Tomlin but it's hard to overlook what Sparano and Smith did.

snarky
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I don't think the guy who wins the SB should automagically be coach of the year. And given that we did make the playoffs last year I think Tomlin would not be my top choice.

I've been drinking the Tomlin Kool Aid since he was first hired and I wouldn't want another coach for this team. But in terms of Coach of the Year. I would go with

Mike Smith
Whis
Sparano
Harbaugh
Tomlin

MeetJoeGreene
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Let me clarify... there was a Motorola coach of the year based on voting.

Tomlin DID win that one.

There was some amount of debate whether he was deserving of it.

Some folks made the position that it should wait until AFTER the Super Bowl thinking that if Whiz won, he deserved it.

I was just wondering what people's opinions on that particular subject were now.

feltdizz
02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

:Agree

A strong case can be made for Tomlin but it's hard to overlook what Sparano and Smith did.

I don't buy the Dolphins and Atlanta success trumping our SB win and 12-4 record.
Both those teams made the playoffs and both folded like chairs when they got there.

When you win one game and go get the Tuna for a GM and get a proven QB...
The Pats* lose Brady and the Jets get Favre the INT machine...
you are bound to win more games..
I do wonder what will happen now that Baltimore shut down the Wildcat gimmick and exposed them.

ATL had major distractions last year.. they weren't a bad team they just had the whole nation calling for their QB's head... I'll give ATL some rope though.. they had a rookie QB.

Whiz should be the only coach over Tomlin IMO. He made the playoffs and then went to the SB and lost in the closing seconds.

stlrz d
02-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Let me clarify... there was a Motorola coach of the year based on voting.

Tomlin DID win that one.

There was some amount of debate whether he was deserving of it.

Some folks made the position that it should wait until AFTER the Super Bowl thinking that if Whiz won, he deserved it.

I was just wondering what people's opinions on that particular subject were now.

That's why I responded as I did...I knew what you were getting at.

If there were a smilie that did that "pointing my forked index and middle fingers at my eyes and then pointing them towards you" gesture I'd post it here. :D

RKSteel
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I think Belicheck deserved it. The guy's team was undeated during 2007, his QB, broke the most TDs in a season record and they were a fluke play away from going 19-0.

He loses his starting QB in the first game of the 2008 season and turns to a QB that hadn't started since pop warner and goes 11-5. If it wasn't for the NFLs stupid playoff format, he would of had the #4 or #5 seed and been the team to beat in the playoffs.

Incredible coaching job.

:lol: (sarcasm off)

steelblood
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Sparano, Mike Smith, Whiz and Harbaugh all were deserving, I think. Tomlin only won the Motorolla award, he didn't win the other coach of the year. I think M. Smith did.

feltdizz
02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Sparano, Mike Smith, Whiz and Harbaugh all were deserving, I think. Tomlin only won the Motorolla award, he didn't win the other coach of the year. I think M. Smith did.

In this new NFL it isn't that surprising for a team to go from worst to first IMO. I think if you do it with the same QB from the year before then you should get consideration.

All these coaches have solid QB's now... I'm bias though..