PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Picks

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Anyone know when these are announced and what picks we might have a shot at getting? I forget how it works. Is it the players that left last offseason or the one before. Seems tough to guage what we might get.

phillyesq
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
The NFL has a complex and unpublished formula for determining compensatory picks.

This guy has done an excellent and lengthy analysis:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=208336

Some of the highlights -- only qualified free agents are counted. To be a qualified FA, a player must be signed before a certain date and cannot be released. In other words, Hartwig doesn't factor in, because he was released. Leftwich doesn't factor in because he was signed after the date. Fox doesn't factor in because his salary was too low.

If a team loses more qualified FAs than it signs, the team is eligible for compensatory picks. The picks are based on the quality of the FAs lost/signed, playing time, performance, and perhaps other factors.

The Steelers didn't sign any qualified FAs. I think that they lost two qualified FAs -- Faneca and Haggans. For Faneca, based on the high salary, they should receive a third or, at worst, a fourth. For Haggans, they might get a 7th, if anything. He had a decent salary -- I think around $1 million, but not much PT.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
The NFL has a complex and unpublished formula for determining compensatory picks.

This guy has done an excellent and lengthy analysis:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=208336

Some of the highlights -- only qualified free agents are counted. To be a qualified FA, a player must be signed before a certain date and cannot be released. In other words, Hartwig doesn't factor in, because he was released. Leftwich doesn't factor in because he was signed after the date. Fox doesn't factor in because his salary was too low.

If a team loses more qualified FAs than it signs, the team is eligible for compensatory picks. The picks are based on the quality of the FAs lost/signed, playing time, performance, and perhaps other factors.

The Steelers didn't sign any qualified FAs. I think that they lost two qualified FAs -- Faneca and Haggans. For Faneca, based on the high salary, they should receive a third or, at worst, a fourth. For Haggans, they might get a 7th, if anything. He had a decent salary -- I think around $1 million, but not much PT.

I thought the Mewelde Moore pickup cancelled out the Haggans loss for us (could be wrong though), but I definitely expect a pick at the end of the 3rd round for Faneca (signed a big 5 year $40 million contract with $21 million guaranteed, started all 16 games for the Jets, made the Pro Bowl, etc.).

Bandito
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I believe Mewelde Moore factors in and negates Haggans.

I recall 1 team last year had a 3rd round compensatory pick for a player signed to another team a lil over $7Mil/yr. Faneca signed with the Jets for $8Mil/yr, starter for most of the offensive snaps, and was in the Pro Bowl. Steelers should get a 3rd round compensatory pick but likely the last pick.

Will know for sure after the NFL Annual Meeting at the end of March.

phillyesq
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
You guys are right -- I forgot Mewelde. I thought that I was forgetting somebody.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
What picks did we get for Randle El or Chris Hope. Those two signed big deals and I don't recall getting any 3rd or 4th rnd picks for them.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
What picks did we get for Randle El or Chris Hope. Those two signed big deals and I don't recall getting any 3rd or 4th rnd picks for them.

The year after we lost those 2 guys, we got a 4th round comp pick (Ryan McBean) and a 5th round comp pick (William Gay).

SidSmythe
02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Does the age have any factor in a pick. I can see a 4th yr. FA being more valuable than a 10th year guy like Faneca. I dunno, just a thought.

Northern_Blitz
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Age doesn't matter. Also, the guy who puts up the analysis every year does it basically just from salary. That seems to have the most weight in the equation.

phillyesq
02-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Does the age have any factor in a pick. I can see a 4th yr. FA being more valuable than a 10th year guy like Faneca. I dunno, just a thought.

I'm not sure that age factors into it. I can't say definitively that it doesn't, but I don't think that it does.

I think that Faneca should bring a third -- his deal, if I recall, was in excess of $7 million, and he started every game this year (I think) and made the pro bowl.

Last year, Washington and Cincinnati received third round comp picks for Derrick Dockery and Eric Steinbach, the Ravens rec'd one for Adalius Thomas, and the Falcons got one (can't remember for whom -- Patrick Kerney maybe?). Faneca's deal is as big or bigger than those guys, so he should net an extra 3rd.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
salary - and i thought performance factored in... being a pro bowler and 2nd team all-pro, might be enough to make faneca a 3rd...

and if they factor in sack numbers - LOL....