PDA

View Full Version : Franchise and Transition Tags must be used by 2-19-09

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
We've got 10 days to decide. What should we do?

Iron Shiek
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I already forgot the little difference the transition tag afforded vs. the franchise tag. Please elaborate and refresh my memory.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I already forgot the little difference the transition tag afforded vs. the franchise tag. Please elaborate and refresh my memory.

If the Steelers use the franchise tag, they can match another team's offer. If the Steelers decide not to match, they would receive 2 first round picks (if I recall correctly, the only time this happened involved the Redskins giving up two first round picks for Sean Gilbert and the Cowboys giving up two first round picks for Joey Galloway...I think smart GM's now consider first round picks to be too valuable, so a franchise tag is basically a guarantee that you will have that guy for one more year)

If the Steelers use the transition tag, they can match another team's offer. If the Steelers decide not to match, they don't get any compensation in return (remember the poison pill contract that Minnesota gave to Steve Hutchinson that Seattle could not possibly match? The Vikings got Hutch without having to give up any compensation to the Seahawks.)

Iron Shiek
02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I knew it had to do with compensation. Well crap...the numbers are just crazy with either option for both players...I wouldn't mind franchising Starks I suppose. If they are certain Marvel is done (why not...dude has the back of a 105 year old), then we gotta cover our a$$es. Can't go with rookie and its pretty clear Gross is going to be out of our financial ballpark.

papillon
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I chose transition Starks at 7.7million per year. I did this not knowing Smith's status or condition. I think the Steelers need one of these two men to make another run at the Sb next year. The Steelers paid Starks almost 7 million this past year and he started as a backup. I think giving him a raise to 7.7 million is money well spent and work on a long term deal with him (he's only 26 or 27).

If someone offers Starks crazy money then try to sign Smith and hope his back can hold up over the next year. If it holds up, then a 2 or 3 year deal to lock him up might be in order.

Mcfadden will be a more difficult signing, I think, since, the Steelers are going to probably try and negotiate with Harrison, Kiesel, Woodley and Miller all of which may be more important than Mcfadden, since, Gay is showing signs of being a 5th round diamond in the rough.

Regardless, of what the Steelers do, I will feel much better if Smith or Starks is the strating LT next year and not a rookie or Essex.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think you can transition tag a player two years in a row

HardlinerKC
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I chose transition Starks at 7.7million per year. I did this not knowing Smith's status or condition. I think the Steelers need one of these two men to make another run at the Sb next year. The Steelers paid Starks almost 7 million this past year and he started as a backup. I think giving him a raise to 7.7 million is money well spent and work on a long term deal with him (he's only 26 or 27).

If someone offers Starks crazy money then try to sign Smith and hope his back can hold up over the next year. If it holds up, then a 2 or 3 year deal to lock him up might be in order.

Mcfadden will be a more difficult signing, I think, since, the Steelers are going to probably try and negotiate with Harrison, Kiesel, Woodley and Miller all of which may be more important than Mcfadden, since, Gay is showing signs of being a 5th round diamond
in the rough.

Regardless, of what the Steelers do, I will feel much better if Smith or Starks is the strating LT next year and not a rookie or Essex.

Pappy

Hey, Papillon, what up??? Nice post but since I don't know the full body of issues on your content as it relates to the Steel, I won't offer up a comment except to say your view seems well thought out as usual.

I will offer something of value to this thread, hopefully, for those teams looking for value on the second tier level, as the Chiefs will be doing. These guys might be nice additions without breaking the bank:

Kevin Burnett, Linebacker
Ronald Bartell, Defensive Back
Reggie Williams, Wide Receiver
Khalif Barnes, Offensive Lineman
Vernon Carey, Offensive Lineman
Mike Peterson, Linebacker
Michael Clayton, Wide Receiver
Igor Olshansky, 3-4 Defensive End
David Carr, Quarterback
Andra Davis, Linebacker
Mike Nugent, Kicker
Bo Scaife, Tight End
Gabe Watson, Defensive Tackle

There are others out there but I think these so-called 'affordable' guys might be worth a look for any holes that need filling on any team. (The Chiefs have more holes to fill than those found on a swiss cheese sandwich, but that's a topic for another time).

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think you can transition tag a player two years in a row

You may be correct...I'm not entirely sure. You can franchise a guy 2 years in a row...I believe he would be guaranteed to get at least a 20% raise over the previous year's salary, though, but we don't have to worry about that, since Starks was not franchised last year.

papillon
02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Mcfadden will be a more difficult signing, I think, since, the Steelers are going to probably try and negotiate with Harrison, Kiesel, Woodley and Miller all of which may be more important than Mcfadden, since, Gay is showing signs of being a 5th round diamond
in the rough.

Pappy

Hey, Papillon, what up??? Nice post but since I don't know the full body of issues on your content as it relates to the Steel, I won't offer up a comment except to say your view seems well thought out as usual.

I will offer something of value to this thread, hopefully, for those teams looking for value on the second tier level, as the Chiefs will be doing. These guys might be nice additions without breaking the bank:

Kevin Burnett, Linebacker
Ronald Bartell, Defensive Back
Reggie Williams, Wide Receiver
Khalif Barnes, Offensive Lineman
Vernon Carey, Offensive Lineman
Mike Peterson, Linebacker
Michael Clayton, Wide Receiver
Igor Olshansky, 3-4 Defensive End
David Carr, Quarterback
Andra Davis, Linebacker
Mike Nugent, Kicker
Bo Scaife, Tight End
Gabe Watson, Defensive Tackle

There are others out there but I think these so-called 'affordable' guys might be worth a look for any holes that need filling on any team. (The Chiefs have more holes to fill than those found on a swiss cheese sandwich, but that's a topic for another time).

Hey, Hardliner, I've seen you around, but, by the time I respond you have moved on to somewhere else. Good to see you hangin here every so often. Olshansky, Barnes and Carey have been discussed here to a degree. Persoanlly, I believe the Steelers need interior line help, so that, brings Barnes into play and the D-line is aging, so, Olshansky could be a nice pickup.

As you know the Steelers are good at linebacker for a few years and an extension for Harrison is being discussed right now.

We'll probably need a backup QB for one more year before Dixon is ready to go and we'll get Mendenhall off of IR in 2009, so, RB should be good.

We may need a cornerback, I just don't see how they fit Mcfadden in their plans if he wants big money. Woodley, Kiesel, Harrison and Miller are in the last year of their contracts and I'd prefer all of them get extended before Mcfadden. William Gay seems to be coming along nicely as a 5th round cornerback and the draft may bring another body at CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs make a play for Mcfadden.

Good to have you around, you're good people for not being a Steeler fan. :moon (I couldn't resist) :P

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
On the other board, JC says we should pretty much go get Carey... If it comes down to Carey vs Max (or Smith) then, I agree... Even if it means paying a little extra.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
On the other board, JC says we should pretty much go get Carey... If it comes down to Carey vs Max (or Smith) then, I agree... Even if it means paying a little extra.

Isn't Vernon Carey at RT, though? If you sign him and let both Max and Marvel go, who is protecting Ben's blind side? Hills? Essex? Colon? Parquet? Capizzi? Just wondering...