PDA

View Full Version : (*)s place franchise label on Cassels

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/sport ... riots.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/sports/football/06patriots.html)

I think Tom Brady should come over to the Steelers, he would be the perfect clip board carrier for Ben!

Chachi
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd say this makes Cassel an Cheatriot at least for one more year.

I just don't see any team giving up 2 first round picks for this guy.

Everyone will wait till next year to grab the kid.

fezziwig
02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
The guy could be another Anderson like in Cleveland. Just the Cheats luck, some team would be stupid enough to give the Cheaters gold for a one year wonder. Then again, maybe he will be the real deal but, it's a heck of a gamble.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Nobody will sign him to an offer sheet and give up 2 first rounders, but the teams can still work out a different trade that would be to their liking (I think that is what happened when the Falcons got two second round picks from Houston plus a swap of first round picks...pick #10 for pick #8) in exchange for Matt Schaub.

Iron Shiek
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Movin the Chains covered this a bit. And then a caller brought up the question about what will happen the following year seeing that we could be headed for an Uncapped Year. Some of the stuff was over my head, but I think one of the stipulations for these franchised guys going into an uncapped year they automatically become restricted FA's or something like that? I don't know for sure. But from what they were talking about, the Cheaters could pay Cassel the 1 million per game to hold the clipboard this year and then still have favorable "options" for keeping him at a good price the following year. Hopefully someone else heard this or knows more about this...because I'm curious to understand what the hell they were talking about.

papillon
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
So how much will the Patriots have tied up in the quarterback position if they don't work out a trade for Cassell and they have to pay both Tom Brady and Matt Cassell? close to 25 million? More?

Pappy

Jigawatts
02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
So how much will the Patriots have tied up in the quarterback position if they don't work out a trade for Cassell and they have to pay both Tom Brady and Matt Cassell? close to 25 million? More?

Pappy

Maybe they're concerned Brady won't be ready for at least the start of next season?

papillon
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Pappy

Maybe they're concerned Brady won't be ready for at least the start of next season?

Maybe, but, part of his signing bonus counts against the cap and his salary, unless, they release him or something. It seems they'll be taking a steep hit.

Pappy

Chachi
02-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Nobody will sign him to an offer sheet and give up 2 first rounders, but the teams can still work out a different trade that would be to their liking (I think that is what happened when the Falcons got two second round picks from Houston plus a swap of first round picks...pick #10 for pick #8) in exchange for Matt Schaub.

Schaub didn't have the franchise tag on him when they traded him. He still had one year left on his contract.

I didn't think in a franchise tag situation the 2 first rounders were negotiable.

Who here knows for sure?

fezziwig
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Without their ability to cheat, I don't care what QB they have. Wait a minute, I'm sure getting caught again hasn't stopped Belicheat. I wonder how long it will take Belicheat to groom another no name QB to learn how to cheat ?

Steelhere10
02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
i hope no team or teams are that stupid for a ONE HIT WONDER!

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Schaub didn't have the franchise tag on him when they traded him. He still had one year left on his contract.

I didn't think in a franchise tag situation the 2 first rounders were negotiable.

Who here knows for sure?

Now that you mention it, Schaub may have been a restricted free agent, and Atlanta gave him the high tender, which would have required 1st and 3rd round compensation but they worked out a trade for the two #2's and swap of 1st round pick instead.

As for Cassel, they offered him the franchise tag, and he signed it. The question is...now that the tag has been offered by the team AND signed by the player, can other teams still try to sign him now (with that two first round pick compensation package) or is he simply property of New England for one more year now that he signed it, meaning that no other teams can make him a long-term offer unless they trade for him first? (Remember last year how Starks waited for a month or two before signing the transition tag hoping for another offer that never came? And one he signed it, he was ours, come hell or high water...I realize that there are some differences between the franchise and transition tag and wonder if this is a similarity between the two). Now that Cassel has signed it, I think he is on the hook to New England for $14 whatever million guaranteed, so I would think at this point they could trade him for pretty much anything they wanted just like any other player on their roster.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Who here knows for sure?

Now that you mention it, Schaub may have been a restricted free agent, and Atlanta gave him the high tender, which would have required 1st and 3rd round compensation but they worked out a trade for the two #2's and swap of 1st round pick instead.

As for Cassel, they offered him the franchise tag, and he signed it. The question is...now that the tag has been offered by the team AND signed by the player, can other teams still try to sign him now (with that two first round pick compensation package) or is he simply property of New England for one more year now that he signed it, meaning that no other teams can make him a long-term offer unless they trade for him first? (Remember last year how Starks waited for a month or two before signing the transition tag hoping for another offer that never came? And one he signed it, he was ours, come hell or high water...I realize that there are some differences between the franchise and transition tag and wonder if this is a similarity between the two). Now that Cassel has signed it, I think he is on the hook to New England for $14 whatever million guaranteed, so I would think at this point they could trade him for pretty much anything they wanted just like any other player on their roster.

From the article: "...That does not mean Cassel will be with the Patriots next season, though. The Patriots could trade him or another team could sign him as a free agent, which is unlikely since that team would then owe the Patriots two first-round draft picks as compensation."

I would think that would mean that he's there all year next year. Can anyone think of a team that needs* a qb NOW so badly they would give up two 1st rounders?

*Not THINKS they need, but actually NEEDS Cassels as qb now. Otherwise the obvious answer would be Al Davis and the Raiders!

DBinAL
02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Let’s take a closer look at the new NFL darling, Matt Cassell. As Paul Harvey would say, here’s the rest of the story.

The 11 wins came against opponents that finished the year 71-105, a .403 winning percentage. Of these 11 wins, 3 came against teams with a .500 record or better – Miami (11-5), Arizona (9-7), and Denver (8-8). Take away these 3 wins from the list and New England’s other opponents won only 43 of 128 games, a .336 percentage.

The 5 losses came against teams that won 52 of 80 games, a .650 winning percentage. In these 5 losses, Cassell’s QB rating was as follows: Miami - 68.1; San Diego - 61.6; Pittsburgh – 39.4; New York Jets – 103.4; Indianapolis – 76.1. He had one good game in the 5, and that was against the 29th rated pass defense. He has done nothing against the better teams in the league.

I think he is way over-valued.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Let’s take a closer look at the new NFL darling, Matt Cassell. As Paul Harvey would say, here’s the rest of the story.

The 11 wins came against opponents that finished the year 71-105, a .403 winning percentage. Of these 11 wins, 3 came against teams with a .500 record or better – Miami (11-5), Arizona (9-7), and Denver (8-8). Take away these 3 wins from the list and New England’s other opponents won only 43 of 128 games, a .336 percentage.

The 5 losses came against teams that won 52 of 80 games, a .650 winning percentage. In these 5 losses, Cassell’s QB rating was as follows: Miami - 68.1; San Diego - 61.6; Pittsburgh – 39.4; New York Jets – 103.4; Indianapolis – 76.1. He had one good game in the 5, and that was against the 29th rated pass defense. He has done nothing against the better teams in the league.

I think he is way over-valued.

Not to mention that he won't be throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker in his next stop.