PDA

View Full Version : Ben's ribs - here come the "drama queen" comments

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
even though it wasn't made public until AFTER the game. EIGHT DAYS after.

Ben Roethlisberger Played Super Bowl With Broken Ribs

Posted Feb 9th 2009 9:34 AM by Michael David Smith

Ben Roethlisberger was playing with broken ribs when he led the Pittsburgh Steelers to a victory at Super Bowl XLIII, Peter King of SI.com is reporting.

Roethlisberger's ribs were the subject of much speculation during Super Bowl week, with Pro Football Talk reporting that the ribs had been X-rayed and the Steelers refusing to confirm or deny. King reports that those X-rays actually didn't pick up on the small rib fractures, but that they were diagnosed when he got an MRI in Pittsburgh last week.

Roethlisberger didn't look particularly affected by the rib injury during the game. On what turned out to be the last play of the Steelers' first drive he didn't hesitate to stick his head down and try to get into the end zone, and throughout the game he passed well, even when the Cardinals' pressure forced him to throw on the move. He was accurate throughout and finished the game completing 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards.

Here's what Roethlisberger told King:

"Fractured ribs. Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.''

Still, the odd secrecy shown by the Steelers in the week leading up to the game indicates that they were at least concerned about it. Rather than simply answering questions about whether Roethlisberger had been X-rayed, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin just said that he didn't know where the report came from. As it turned out, the ribs were hurt, but Roethlisberger was just fine.

ANPSTEEL
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/anpsteel/drama-queen-just-ahead-posters.jpg

I didn't want to mention this- but since you brought it up...

I've had a bruised toe for the last couple weeks... and it makes posting here, very uncomfortable.

I hope you can understand.

:Binky

:lol:

Iron Shiek
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Apparently Fitz was playing with torn ligament in hand as well. So whatever.

Drama Queen or not, he played through it.

phillyesq
02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm sure that we're going to hear the drama queen nonsense, but in this case, it is really absurd. Before the game, he didn't acknowledge this. Even after the game, it isn't like he was seeking people out. Just responding to questions.

MeetJoeGreene
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
This gets to the heart of the philisophical question regarding toughness that I have...

Who is tougher -- the person that sustains injuries and then plays through the pain/hurt or the person that just seems to be immune to injury.

Ben is the first kind of tough.. and they seem to get a lot of attention...

steelnavy
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Did his rib injury come from the late/dirty hit in the back from the Raven in the playoffs that didn't get any acknowledgement from the announcers? Or a fee from the league?

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Did his rib injury come from the late/dirty hit in the back from the Raven in the playoffs that didn't get any acknowledgement from the announcers? Or a fee from the league?

That's what they're saying. A scrub safety for the Ravens hit him late from behind and a D lineman crunched him from the front a split second later.

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll never say it again... :moon

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Because he's earned your respect or because of me? :P

Iron Shiek
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
This topic just came up on The Red Zone on Sirius. Solomon Wilcotts and Jim Miller are hosting today. They are on Ben's side with this one. Miller came out and said he has been known as a Drama Queen in the past but has shed that label. And that he has to be seen in a different light after this Super Bowl, especially with the few shots he took during the game.

And Solly is defending his position that Tone and Ben should have been co-MVPs.

:tt2

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM

both.... in that order.

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM

both.... in that order.
Good! :D

proudpittsburgher
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Just goes to show you that haters will dig for anything. So what if he gets hurt often? he hardly ever misses any playing time because of it. And more often than not, he wins with injury. So what's their point? Leaves me wondering if that's all they got.

Steeler Shades
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Unlike his toes in 2004 these showed up on an MRI. 8)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ml?eref=T1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/08/steelers/index.html?eref=T1)
2. Roethlisberger, playing on adrenaline, toughed out the game with at least two small rib fractures -- which didn't show up in an X-ray the week before the game but did when he got an MRI after returning to Pittsburgh.

DBinAL
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Back in the original dynasty days, Terry Bradshaw was far more dramatic than Ben has been. Bradshaw would be taken off the field on a stretcher and then re-appear in the second half to play the game.

One time, Bradshaw was dead and buried on a Thursday and 3 days later, rose from the grave and led the team to victory on a Sunday. That's 'drama.'

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Terry did it a lot on Monday night games for face time.... that's why I always said drama.... cause when you are hurt they do specials and talk about what you mean to the team while you are down. My brother used to do it all the time when he played for Navy...

I think the reason I was so mad at Ben was because it was the freakin Clowns and right before the half... throw it away!!!! ugh.. but I take back everything I said...

he is a baller

AngryAsian
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Back in the original dynasty days, Terry Bradshaw was far more dramatic than Ben has been. Bradshaw would be taken off the field on a stretcher and then re-appear in the second half to play the game.

One time, Bradshaw was dead and buried on a Thursday and 3 days later, rose from the grave and led the team to victory on a Sunday. That's 'drama.'

That wasn't the "Hail Mary" but rather "The Lazarus." :lol:

mshifko
02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
call him drama queen all you want...all the guy does is win...i wouldn't have any other QB

this is just another testament as to why he's a leader...

ANPSTEEL
02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
:stirpot

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site.

According to SI.com, Roethlisberger said his fractured ribs did not show up on X-rays taken before he led the Steelers to a 27-23 win over Arizona on Feb. 1, but were revealed only during a MRI test he had last week.

"Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt," Roethlisberger told SI.com. "But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything that could have been done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play."

Roethlisberger did not miss any practices before the Super Bowl, although a pool report from the Wednesday practice said he attempted during the middle of the workout to stretch his torso. He missed one practice during the off week before the Super Bowl because of what the team said was a back injury.

"There's not a whole lot to say," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Monday. "Ben was fine to go. He was cleared to play. He didn't miss any [practice] time. There was no doubt he was going to play."

The Steelers said it would have been difficult for Roethlisberger to play any better than he did in leading the decisive 78-yard drive that ended with a precisely thrown 6-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining.

Several plays before, Roethlisberger -- leading his sixth game-winning drive of the season -- hit Holmes on a 40-yard completion.

Ultimate Audio: Super Bowl XLIII

NFL.com Video

Take in the game like never before. For a surround-sound experience, headphones are key.

Roethlisberger did not mention any possible injury during postgame interviews.

It is uncertain if the validity of Roethlisberger's claim will be proven.

NFL teams do not routinely require players to undergo MRI or other medical tests during the offseason, and Roethlisberger isn't due back in Pittsburgh until offseason workouts begin in April. By then, any problem that occurred before or during the Super Bowl might not show up in tests.

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

The day after the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn't always get along -- in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries.

It also was reported that Roethlisberger sustained a spinal cord concussion against Cleveland on Dec. 28, but the team said only that he had a concussion.

"Ben's health is often the subject of inaccurate reports," coach Mike Tomlin said before the Super Bowl. "He's fine."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Not sure what to make of this- but it certainly seems to be in line with previously
misstated injuries... whether by the team or Ben himself.

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Who's to say he didn't have the MRI done on his own?

Steeler Shades
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

stlrz d
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
And you know what? I just read through that "story" again.

I don't see ONE quote from ANYONE in the Steelers organization that states they have no knowledge of this injury.

This is more ESPN bull****.

SteelCrazy
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM

You're insane! Terry B. never bitched or moaned to reporters after a game or a SuperBowl a week later, never. Did you ever get a glimpse of this guys elbow's toward the end? They looked like someone implanted basketballs under the skin. Never said a word and quitely retired because of it.

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 11:41 PM
And you know what? I just read through that "story" again.

I don't see ONE quote from ANYONE in the Steelers organization that states they have no knowledge of this injury.

This is more ESPN bull****.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think ESPN will print any story regardless of facts..

Steeler Shades
02-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe I missed the information in one of the articles; who / where was the MRI performed post SB? 8)