PDA

View Full Version : Random Thought...Wonder How Faneca Feels Now?

Steel Life
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I haven't seen anything, but considering how he left & how doom & gloom was predicted after his departure, I can't help but wonder how he feels about taking the money & running? You think he feels differently about Tomlin now?

TallyStiller
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Like a punk who gave up more sacks than any other player at his position this year while his quarterback quit on the team and screwed the pooch by losing 4 of 5 in December to choke away a division title while the guy he dumped on and couldn't wait to leave behind in Pittsburgh morphed into a combination of Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, and Larry Csonka before our eyes and led his team to a title? Or was that a rhetorical question?

Hey Crybaby Alan... :moon

AkronSteel
02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Me personally, I could care less what he thinks! The guy has been living off his reputation for 3 years now and got his pay day from someone else! I could really care less about that guy anymore! I actually hope he is sad and upset and realizes that he made a mistake. I'm sure that he doesn't because the only thing that mattered to that guy after '05 was the money!

Here's to Alan Faneca! :moon

MeetJoeGreene
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I wondered that as well.

He probably is masking his regret with anger... and spending money as an anodyne.

SteelTorch
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I was just thinking about that today! Our SB win was a huge slap in the face to him and his whiny antics. :D

Stick that in your ungrateful pipe and smoke it, ungrateful crybaby. :wink:

Wolfhound45
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
He feels like he is making serious bank.

Steel Life
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Bank, schmank - he could've gotten paid here, you can't tell me that it doesn't tear him up a bit.

Wolfhound45
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
The NFL is a business. He made a business decision. I don't remember the Steelers opening up the pocketbook and making him a huge offer. At this stage in his career he needs to start banking the money and preparing for retirement.

He already has a SB ring. I doubt he is very concerned that he missed out on another one.

phillyesq
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I think it would be different if he never got a ring in Pittsburgh. But he already got a ring, and then he went to cash in. If he had never gotten a ring, I think he'd be kicking himself.

Wolfhound45
02-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I think it would be different if he never got a ring in Pittsburgh. But he already got a ring, and then he went to cash in. If he had never gotten a ring, I think he'd be kicking himself.

:Agree

NorthCoast
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM

my thoughts exactly. got ring....got bank....nothing else needed before riding off into the sunset. Having said that, it is possible he may miss the team comraderie. But he truly burned the bridge here before he left.

Imagine this, he groused over the coaching changes here (the first in 15 yrs) and he is already facing his 2nd HC where he is now. Bet he won't yap about that now.

Steelgal
02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I personally don't care how he feels. He wasn't exactly easy for Tomlin to coach the one year he was here and he's lost a step, so I was glad to see him gone. Now Joey Porter, I still miss, even though Harrison has done better than I would have imagined replacing him.

proudpittsburgher
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I think some of us on this thread need to cut AF a bit of slack. He helped us get a ring, and he wasn't getting paid in Pittsburgh. He did what he had to do. I have zero hard feelings. He was underpaid his entire career, based on what some others at guard with half his talent were getting. You all would have cashed in too. The Jets were dumb enough to give it to him, and he was glad to take it.

eniparadoxgma
02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Like a punk who gave up more sacks than any other player at his position this year while his quarterback quit on the team and screwed the pooch by losing 4 of 5 in December to choke away a division title while the guy he dumped on and couldn't wait to leave behind in Pittsburgh morphed into a combination of Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, and Larry Csonka before our eyes and led his team to a title? Or was that a rhetorical question?

Hey Crybaby Alan... :moon

Nicely played, sir. :tt2

However, I tend to agree with proudpittsburgher on this one. Unless ex-Steelers publicly trash the organization I don't have any hard feelings towards them.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I think some of us on this thread need to cut AF a bit of slack. He helped us get a ring, and he wasn't getting paid in Pittsburgh. He did what he had to do. I have zero hard feelings. He was underpaid his entire career, based on what some others at guard with half his talent were getting. You all would have cashed in too. The Jets were dumb enough to give it to him, and he was glad to take it.

I don't have hard feelings for Faneca, because I respect what he gave us throughout his career here. However, I disagree that he was underpaid for his entire career in Pittsburgh. When he signed his last contract with the Steelers, it was the biggest contract ever give to a guard in NFL history at that time. It just so happened that guard salaries got outrageous when there were 4-5 guys who got 7 year, $49 million dollar deals in one offseason a few years ago and suddenly he felt underpaid. Boo hoo. We were smart enough to give him a big time contract when he was still in his prime. We weren't stupid enough like the Jets to give him $8 million per year for 5 years when he was on the downside of his career.

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
rich..
he knew what he was leaving..
just like ARE and JPEEZY...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
If I remember right, I am in the minority in this board who does NOT wish Faneca well and all that. It's not THAT he left (JP and ARE left, and heck Franco did too), it's HOW he left - 1 year of lockeroom cancer spreading, instead of just manning up.

So, I'm kind of glad his football ego is deflated, even if his bankbook isn't. Didn't realize (as the first poster mentioned) he'd given up the most sacks in his position in the NFL.

DBinAL
02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Faneca was very well paid while he wa a Steeler. When some of the other franchises started paying 'crazy' money to guards that hadn't really done much, AF's feelings were hurt. How many Super Bowls have any of these overpaid guards won? Faneca played the system as it now exists and got the super duper contract. He now has no financial worries. Good for him in that regard.

In reality, he was a cancer to the team in the locker room. Although his ability had declined, if he had maintained a 'professional' locker room attitude, he could have mentored some of the young lineman and been rewarded with a contract that would have reflected his declining play.

Wonder how badly he really feels? Not too bad if you ask me.

SteelTorch
02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
If I remember right, I am in the minority in this board who does NOT wish Faneca well and all that. It's not THAT he left (JP and ARE left, and heck Franco did too), it's HOW he left - 1 year of lockeroom cancer spreading, instead of just manning up.

So, I'm kind of glad his football ego is deflated, even if his bankbook isn't. Didn't realize (as the first poster mentioned) he'd given up the most sacks in his position in the NFL.
:Agree

You're not alone. I think Faneca spit in the face of the entire organization and showed where his heart truly lay - in his bank account.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-10-2009, 03:54 AM

Sorry proud, but your revisionist history is a little skewed.

It is a bit late and I'm tired so I will have to go by memory, but while my years might be off, the rest is not. When AF signed his previous deal he signed a 5 year, $25M contract which made him the highest paid guard in the league. For at least three years of those 5 he remained atop the pay scale, this despite the fact that every year salaries rise and new contracts had AF to now use as a benchmark.

By the fourth and fifth years he was still among the top paid guards with a cap value in the $6+M range. Remember, 5 years is a virtual lifetime by NFL contract standards. A player who signs a 5 year deal to be the highest paid player is never still the highest paid 5 years later.

Then other guards started getting paid big money as well as OL pay began rising rapidly. First was Hutchinson. AF and Hutch were considered 1-2 amongst guards. He signed a big deal to move to Minny, around 7 years, $49M IIRC. Hutch is younger and signed (I think) a year before AF was up, so AF would be looking at a 5 year deal that would expire at the same age as Hutch would. IMO the Steelers would have been willing to sit down and talk around this deal.

Then the insanity. Two woeful franchises - Buffalo & Cleveland - went out and signed lesser known guards to monster FA deals. Although younger, Steinbach and Dockery moved well above both AF and Hutch at the pay window. So now AF feels slighted that he will be valued below these two guys, whose collective resume's pale greatly by comparison, and the Steelers refuse to allow the Browns and Bills dictate the way they are going to spend their money. At this point I can understand both sides and you can see the reason for the divide.

My problem was the way Faneca reacted afterwards. Alright, so the two sides have agreed to disagree about his value to the team in terms of contract and part ways. They will do so after his very generous - highest contract for a guard in history at the time - deal expires. Instead AF decided to pout about being under-appreciated and become a locker room cancer. He was under contract last year at a very generous value of around $6.6M (or thereabouts). He signed that deal 4 years previously when the team was willing to make him the highest paid guard in the league, he understood that he might somehow be forced to accept the $25M and he may somehow have to find a way to feed his family on that. But to make public statements, skip workouts, undermine the coaching staff is plain wrong. Take your bigger payday, you earned it, but you earned it while collecting $25M from the team that you are now complaining treated you unfairly.

Steeler Shades
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Sorry proud, but your revisionist history is a little skewed.....

This seems a little "revisionist" to me.

So now AF feels slighted that he will be valued below these two guys,
As I recall AF did not feel "slighted", he felt anger over the Steelers refusing to make a top 5 offer after the 2006 season. He said that he was made promises during the preceding season(s) to the effect that they would take care of him and then they refused to negotiate. When they finally did make an offer, AF thought the offer was an insult and then became angry.

I'm not sure whether AF is telling the truth or not, but as I recall the Steelers were not disputing it at the time but instead were just saying that their offer was the starting point for negotiations. 8)

Oviedo
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM

:Agree Faneca was a classless bum his last year here. He tried to undermine the new coach and his staff because his fat motorcycle riding buddy didn't get the job. I can't take his money away from him but I wish him nothing but disappointment and heartache in his football playing career.

feltdizz
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Faneca turned into T.O. when the offer came in....
compared to how he was before the offer he was a cancer... he would disrupt practice and undermine coaches from what some OL said.

It happens...
but for some to act like Faneca was never the highest paid Lineman in the league was a slap in the Rooney's face IMO.