PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

steelnavy
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Ken Whisenhunt, whose defense ended the season ranked 19th for the season, fires his D coordinator despite making it all the way to the Superbowl and barely losing to the Steelers. He gave Pendergast two seasons to prove himself before giving him the boot.

BA and Larry Z, whose offense ranked 24th(?) for the season and whose O line has stunk it up for two seasons, are retained by the Steelers despite barely beating the Cards in the Superbowl.

In another current post about Whiz trying to lure away Steelers linebackers coach Butler, the talk centers around Butler’s amazing ability to take good linebackers and make them great. Everyone is in agreement that he is the reason that the Steelers have had excellent linebackers for a while now. If that is the popular consensus and everybody is in agreement that his coaching ability makes the difference, then why does that argument not also work for BA and Larry Z? Could the Steelers have drafted that many crappy O linemen, or has the coaching staff failed to take them to the next level? Is it lack of talent or does Larry Z not possess the tools to teach and hone technique required in the NFL? Many great coaches show up with a history of doing well in their past jobs (Mike Tomlin). From what I understand, both BA (fired as Cleveland’s O coordinator) and Larry Z (stunk it up as an O line coach in prior gigs) have a history of underperforming.

If people on this board have been called stupid for saying that the Steelers won despite BA and his crappy play calling, does that also make Whiz stupid for firing Pendergast because the Cards almost won the SB despite him? If we lose the SB, then is it ok to want to fire Arians?

Harrison was an undrafted free agent that learned from the best and won DPOY this year. Who is to say that one or two of our offensive linemen couldn’t have turned out better with a good O line coach? Can drafting stud O linemen make up for crappy coaching and play calling? And if the stud that we probably draft in April doesn’t impress, was he just a bad pick or is it the coach’s fault?

If the Steelers fired those two clowns, how much worse could the offense get? There are only about 8 more spots to slide...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Great post. I agree. Personally I think Arians sucks as an OC. I already saw where Tomlin has said he would like to retain his entire staff so unless people get plucked away for better jobs nobody will be leaving.

I would like to see how many plays we ran from inside the 5 yard line for the entire season and didn't cross the goalline. It has to be a ridiculously high number. And look at the retarded playcalling when there. Run up the middle? How many times did we run the same exact plays inside the 5?

feltdizz
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Whiz is a fool. The D did not lose that game.. the OL and not going to Fitz for 3 quarters lost that game.

Every team wants what the winner has... except for our OC. LOL!

The worst thing a HC can do is create a scapegoat after a SB loss. Instead of firing the DC they should have fired the DB coach cause they were burned all day long.

Do you think the DC is fired if the Cards win? This is why it makes no sense.

Arians has problems but you know what? We nixed the 7 step and went underneath.. also look at our injuries on the OL and at RB... you don't fire Arians.. you tweak what wasn't working.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
My problem is Arians doesn't design a gameplan and play design around the talent that he has. He came up with some BS schemes and forces those schemes on talent that can't run it. Most notably the run game and what he is asking his OL and RB to do.

Seriously....who in their right mind would have Willie Parker line up in a single back set and motion out to WR? The guy can't even catch a screen pass on the move yet he is going to catch a pass 20 yards downfield?

I also have a problem with him shutting down the offense for no reason. Early against the Ravens and Cardinals we were throwing the ball all over them with the short underneath stuff and hitting some deeper stuff here and there. All the sudden we have a lead so he shuts down the pass game and sits on the ball. In both games leads that could have grown shrunk quickly and we could have lost both of those games very easily.

Only reason Arians ended up in Pittsburgh was because he coached with Cowher in KC. He got canned in Cleveland, ended up here, and is now like a parasite we can't get rid of. Our offense has gone down each of his two years here from where it was the last year Whiz was here. I mean our run game was down to near the bottom of the league this year. Does anyone really feel it would have been much better if Kendall Simmons and Marvel played this year? Not me.

Where did Matt Spaeth go? When Heath was injured Spaeth was a great offensive weapon. There are a lot of plays where both guys are on the field at the same time yet when Heath came back Spaeth disappeared. Anyone remember how clutch our TE used to be in the redzone? Heath and Tuman used to catch a lot of TD passes. Now we have a 6'7" TE and we don't throw to him in the redzone at all the entire freaking season?

Arians is a clown. If our offense is in the top 10 next year I will eat my words, but I won't hold my breath that it will be unless Ben does a whole lot of back yard football type plays.

papillon
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
If our offense is in the top 10 next year I will eat my words, but I won't hold my breath that it will be unless Ben does a whole lot of back yard football type plays.

Bruce Arians counts on Ben making these plays, sad, but true. He's an offensive coordinator in the right place at the right time. He'll be retained.

Pappy

Steeler Shades
02-08-2009, 11:15 PM
"Continuity. Continuity is what makes it go in this league,"
Mike Tomlin
8)

Chadman
02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Our offense has gone down each of his two years here from where it was the last year Whiz was here. I mean our run game was down to near the bottom of the league this year.

2004- Whiz OC
Pittsburgh = 11th overall offence
28th in passing
2nd in Rushing

2005- Whiz OC
Pittsburgh = 9th overall offence (Up)
24th in Passing (Up)
5th in Rushing (Down)

2006- Whiz OC
Pittsburgh = 13th overall offence (Down)
9th in Passing (up)
10th in Rushing (Down)

2007- BA OC
Pittsburgh = 10th overall offence (UP)
22nd in Passing (Down)
3rd in Rushing (UP)

2008- BA OC
Pittsburgh = 20th overall offence (Down)
17th in Passing (UP)
23rd in Rushing (Down)

As you can see- Bruce Arians actually improved the offence in 2007- not 'continually getting worse' as some would have you believe.

Also- what effect Marvel & Simmons going down? Look at the running game stats- 3rd to 23rd in the space of a year?? Also, don't forget that for a large chunk of the season 3rd down RB Mewelde Moore was carrying the load, behind an undrafted player & first year starter at RG (Stapleton) and another 1st year starter at LG (Kemo). What kind of effect does that have on the offence, do you think?

AngryAsian
02-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Our offense has gone down each of his two years here from where it was the last year Whiz was here. I mean our run game was down to near the bottom of the league this year.

2004- Whiz OC
Pittsburgh = 11th overall offence
28th in passing
2nd in Rushing

2005- Whiz OC
24th in Passing (Up)
5th in Rushing (Down)

2006- Whiz OC
9th in Passing (up)
10th in Rushing (Down)

2007- BA OC
22nd in Passing (Down)
3rd in Rushing (UP)

2008- BA OC
Pittsburgh = 20th overall offence (Down)
17th in Passing (UP)
23rd in Rushing (Down)

As you can see- Bruce Arians actually improved the offence in 2007- not 'continually getting worse' as some would have you believe.

Also- what effect Marvel & Simmons going down? Look at the running game stats- 3rd to 23rd in the space of a year?? Also, don't forget that for a large chunk of the season 3rd down RB Mewelde Moore was carrying the load, behind an undrafted player & first year starter at RG (Stapleton) and another 1st year starter at LG (Kemo). What kind of effect does that have on the offence, do you think?

Sorry Chadman, I just can't get behind the logic that states, BA couldn't run the type of offense he wanted because of two mediocre linemen's (15 seasons and 1 pro bowl berth between the two) absence. We don't play to the strengths of the players we have. FWP as a receiver? (11 games with 3 rec....not a big threat). We'll have every team gunning for us 2009, we need to reinvent ourselves this upcoming season. We need to be balanced. We were way to lopsided this year. Our D can't keep bailing us out.

Chadman
02-09-2009, 01:22 AM
We need to be balanced. We were way to lopsided this year.

Not balanced in which way? Lopsided in what way? If you are talking about run-pass equation's, Chadman is going to disagree with you. Quite often Arians was a little too balanced & tried to involve the running game too much when just letting Ben throw would have done the trick.

Arians biggest problem is EXECUTION.

This is due to a few things- yes, scheme being one of them- but also personel, talent & injuries are part of it.

You simply will not convince Chadman that a better OL would not allow Arians more flexability in his play calling.

Do you want to blame Arians for the OL blocking? Is that his responsibility?

The passing attack worked well for the Steelers, when Ben wasn't getting sacked. It's the running game where it fell apart. The same running game that had a gimpy Willie Parker, a broken Rashard Mendenhall & 3rd down back Mewelde Moore carrying the load for a large chunk of the season. You add that equation to an OL that loses long time starters Faneca, Simmons & Smith in the same year & starts two 1st year starters inside at OG & a RT at LT, and the odds are against Arians getting any success.

Want to know how important Smith & Simmons are? How did Parker go at the beginning of the year? How did he go post-injury & without Simmons & Smith playing? How much different was the playcalling?

Is Arians the greatest OC ever?

No.

But before you crucify him, give him all his toys to play with.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
I was going by yards, you were going by points. If you go by yards we dropped each of his seasons. If you go by points, which realistically that is probably the right way to go, then you are correct, he did initially improve last season.

I still don't think Marvel - Simmons would have made that much of a difference in the run game and Moore was putting up equal yards to what Parker did before the injury.

AngryAsian
02-09-2009, 01:54 AM
I was going by yards, you were going by points. If you go by yards we dropped each of his seasons. If you go by points, which realistically that is probably the right way to go, then you are correct, he did initially improve last season.

I still don't think Marvel - Simmons would have made that much of a difference in the run game and Moore was putting up equal yards to what Parker did before the injury.

Agreed. My biggest issue with BA is his inability to choose the right piece for the right strategic move. Moore was severely under utilized when Parker came back. Not crucifying BA, I just wish he could use his chess pieces with greater efficiency.

Chadman
02-09-2009, 02:33 AM

Agreed. My biggest issue with BA is his inability to choose the right piece for the right strategic move. Moore was severely under utilized when Parker came back. Not crucifying BA, I just wish he could use his chess pieces with greater efficiency.

You guys might be right.

Chadman doesn't 'know' for sure. But surely, improved OL play will equate to better O in general, right?

Arians isn't the greatest OC of all time. BUT.....Chadman will give benefit of the doubt. If he gets a good OL & still can't 'get it done', then yeah, Arians should be let go.

Mel Blount's G
02-09-2009, 04:19 AM

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, just :stirpot and throwing this out there: Could it have been a Tomin call to ask for fwp to get more (or the majority of the) snaps when he came back?

I have nothing to base this on, kind of a gut feeling, but I got the (gut) feeling this year that Tomlin was not very happy with fwp and may have been putting him on for audition and feeling him out for the trade market? Also testing him to see if he was the/a real-deal load-carrying back for our team. OC and o-line competency variables aside, he did not pass the test if, in reality, it was such. Most likely, this "gut feeling" of mine was bogus....

Anyone else get a feeling MT wasn't/isn't big on Willie? Maybe I'm just blowing MT's reaction ("I see lombardi's, not rushing title trophies when I come to work") to Willie's "we need to run the ball more/get back to steeler football" comments out of proportion.

AngryAsian
02-09-2009, 07:23 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2a321oav]I was going by yards, you were going by points. If you go by yards we dropped each of his seasons. If you go by points, which realistically that is probably the right way to go, then you are correct, he did initially improve last season.

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, just :stirpot and throwing this out there: Could it have been a Tomin call to ask for fwp to get more (or the majority of the) snaps when he came back?

I have nothing to base this on, kind of a gut feeling, but I got the (gut) feeling this year that Tomlin was not very happy with fwp and may have been putting him on for audition and feeling him out for the trade market? Also testing him to see if he was the/a real-deal load-carrying back for our team. OC and o-line competency variables aside, he did not pass the test if, in reality, it was such. Most likely, this "gut feeling" of mine was bogus....

Anyone else get a feeling MT wasn't/isn't big on Willie? Maybe I'm just blowing MT's reaction ("I see lombardi's, not rushing title trophies when I come to work") to Willie's "we need to run the ball more/get back to steeler football" comments out of proportion.[/quote:2a321oav]

Tomlin brought over Moore from the Vikes. I'm sure Tomlin has the utmost confidence in his skillset. I like what Moore brings to the table and I think he could put up Westbrook-like numbers if given the chance. Remember when FWP was out and Mendenhall got injured early in the first Ratbird game that went to overtime... that game and the two games after that when Moore started he averaged 108 yds over the three game stretch.... not bad for a 3rd string back. I feel he has the best hands out of the RBs we have in our backfield. Don't get me wrong, when Willie is on, he's on. But being a rhythmic runner, when he's not... why not insert Moore more often and give the opposing defense a different look. I guess I'm just old fashion with my view of Steeler clock management via a smashing ground game. Short passes or stunted screens can be just as effective as a running game. I'd rather us try those type of plays then the redundant attempts up the middle w/ FWP that go nowhere.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":389r5t6r]I was going by yards, you were going by points. If you go by yards we dropped each of his seasons. If you go by points, which realistically that is probably the right way to go, then you are correct, he did initially improve last season.

Anyone else get a feeling MT wasn't/isn't big on Willie? Maybe I'm just blowing MT's reaction ("I see lombardi's, not rushing title trophies when I come to work") to Willie's "we need to run the ball more/get back to steeler football" comments out of proportion.

Tomlin brought over Moore from the Vikes. I'm sure Tomlin has the utmost confidence in his skillset. I like what Moore brings to the table and I think he could put up Westbrook-like numbers if given the chance. Remember when FWP was out and Mendenhall got injured early in the first Ratbird game that went to overtime... that game and the two games after that when Moore started he averaged 108 yds over the three game stretch.... not bad for a 3rd string back. I feel he has the best hands out of the RBs we have in our backfield. Don't get me wrong, when Willie is on, he's on. But being a rhythmic runner, when he's not... why not insert Moore more often and give the opposing defense a different look. I guess I'm just old fashion with my view of Steeler clock management via a smashing ground game. Short passes or stunted screens can be just as effective as a running game. I'd rather us try those type of plays then the redundant attempts up the middle w/ FWP that go nowhere.[/quote:389r5t6r]

Bottom line is that FWP can't catch and I think a back with his size and speed absolutely has to have the ability to catch. If you put Parker out there on first and second down, you are limiting yourself as to what you can do. Parker can't catch so pretty much he is obsolete in the pass game. This means you can't hit him to dump it off on first or second down. That is huge. If Moore is the back on first and second down Ben has the option to hit a very capable player with a very easy pass.

I just personally think we could have done a whole lot more with what we had but instead we went the other direction and would turtle up into this very generic offense.

BURGH86STEEL
02-09-2009, 08:53 AM
We need to be balanced. We were way to lopsided this year.

Not balanced in which way? Lopsided in what way? If you are talking about run-pass equation's, Chadman is going to disagree with you. Quite often Arians was a little too balanced & tried to involve the running game too much when just letting Ben throw would have done the trick.

Arians biggest problem is EXECUTION.

This is due to a few things- yes, scheme being one of them- but also personel, talent & injuries are part of it.

You simply will not convince Chadman that a better OL would not allow Arians more flexability in his play calling.

Do you want to blame Arians for the OL blocking? Is that his responsibility?

The passing attack worked well for the Steelers, when Ben wasn't getting sacked. It's the running game where it fell apart. The same running game that had a gimpy Willie Parker, a broken Rashard Mendenhall & 3rd down back Mewelde Moore carrying the load for a large chunk of the season. You add that equation to an OL that loses long time starters Faneca, Simmons & Smith in the same year & starts two 1st year starters inside at OG & a RT at LT, and the odds are against Arians getting any success.

Want to know how important Smith & Simmons are? How did Parker go at the beginning of the year? How did he go post-injury & without Simmons & Smith playing? How much different was the playcalling?

Is Arians the greatest OC ever?

No.

But before you crucify him, give him all his toys to play with.

I agree with you. It is why I am not big on attacking the coordinators. Some people refuse to look at all the factors involved. They just want to attack Arians. We have seen how successful this offense can be when the players execute. Players left some points out on the field this season because they did not execute.

BURGH86STEEL
02-09-2009, 09:24 AM
[quote=ASIAN][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2hewhfbm]I was going by yards, you were going by points. If you go by yards we dropped each of his seasons. If you go by points, which realistically that is probably the right way to go, then you are correct, he did initially improve last season.

Tomlin brought over Moore from the Vikes. I'm sure Tomlin has the utmost confidence in his skillset. I like what Moore brings to the table and I think he could put up Westbrook-like numbers if given the chance. Remember when FWP was out and Mendenhall got injured early in the first Ratbird game that went to overtime... that game and the two games after that when Moore started he averaged 108 yds over the three game stretch.... not bad for a 3rd string back. I feel he has the best hands out of the RBs we have in our backfield. Don't get me wrong, when Willie is on, he's on. But being a rhythmic runner, when he's not... why not insert Moore more often and give the opposing defense a different look. I guess I'm just old fashion with my view of Steeler clock management via a smashing ground game. Short passes or stunted screens can be just as effective as a running game. I'd rather us try those type of plays then the redundant attempts up the middle w/ FWP that go nowhere.[/quote:2hewhfbm]

Bottom line is that FWP can't catch and I think a back with his size and speed absolutely has to have the ability to catch. If you put Parker out there on first and second down, you are limiting yourself as to what you can do. Parker can't catch so pretty much he is obsolete in the pass game. This means you can't hit him to dump it off on first or second down. That is huge. If Moore is the back on first and second down Ben has the option to hit a very capable player with a very easy pass.

I just personally think we could have done a whole lot more with what we had but instead we went the other direction and would turtle up into this very generic offense.[/quote:2hewhfbm]

Why does he absolutely have to have the ability to catch because of his size? That does not make much sense. How many great receiving RBs have the Steelers had? How many starting RBs are really great receivers?

Let's take a look at some of the top RBs in the league. Peterson 21 rec, Turner 6 rec., Williams 22 rec., Portis 28 rec. A healthy Parker caught 23 passes in 07. Outside of LT and Westbrook, starting RBs do not catch a lot of passes. Why do you think that is the case?

Again, you have to take everything into account. There is a reason why RBs are RBs and not WRs. When teams pass the ball, they are usually going down the field. Do the RBs block more on 1st and 2nd down in this offense? Parker can catch check downs & screen passes. People always want the other guy to start. As if Moore will make the offense something great. If Moore was so great a RB, how come he did not command more attention in free agency? I am not trying to knock Moore. I think Moore is a good player. He is not the player some of you are making him out to be.

I do not understand why people want to pick on something so petty. Every RB has strengths and weaknesses. Show me a RB and I will show you flaws in his game.

How could they do more with the Oline they had in place this season? How could they do more with injuries? How could they do more with Ben not playing well on a consistent basis? How could they do more with the WRs dropping easy passes? The offense failed to reach its potential for several reasons.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Agreed. My biggest issue with BA is his inability to choose the right piece for the right strategic move. Moore was severely under utilized when Parker came back. Not crucifying BA, I just wish he could use his chess pieces with greater efficiency.[/quote]

Anyone else get a feeling MT wasn't/isn't big on Willie? Maybe I'm just blowing MT's reaction ("I see lombardi's, not rushing title trophies when I come to work") to Willie's "we need to run the ball more/get back to steeler football" comments out of proportion.[/quote]

Tomlin brought over Moore from the Vikes. I'm sure Tomlin has the utmost confidence in his skillset. I like what Moore brings to the table and I think he could put up Westbrook-like numbers if given the chance. Remember when FWP was out and Mendenhall got injured early in the first Ratbird game that went to overtime... that game and the two games after that when Moore started he averaged 108 yds over the three game stretch.... not bad for a 3rd string back. I feel he has the best hands out of the RBs we have in our backfield. Don't get me wrong, when Willie is on, he's on. But being a rhythmic runner, when he's not... why not insert Moore more often and give the opposing defense a different look. I guess I'm just old fashion with my view of Steeler clock management via a smashing ground game. Short passes or stunted screens can be just as effective as a running game. I'd rather us try those type of plays then the redundant attempts up the middle w/ FWP that go nowhere.[/quote]

I just personally think we could have done a whole lot more with what we had but instead we went the other direction and would turtle up into this very generic offense.[/quote]

Why does he absolutely have to have the ability to catch because of his size? That does not make much sense. How many great receiving RBs have the Steelers had? How many starting RBs are really great receivers?

Let's take a look at some of the top RBs in the league. Peterson 21 rec, Turner 6 rec., Williams 22 rec., Portis 28 rec. A healthy Parker caught 23 passes in 07. Outside of LT and Westbrook, starting RBs do not catch a lot of passes. Why do you think that is the case?

Again, you have to take everything into account. There is a reason why RBs are RBs and not WRs. When teams pass the ball, they are usually going down the field. Do the RBs block more on 1st and 2nd down in this offense? Parker can catch check downs & screen passes. People always want the other guy to start. As if Moore will make the offense something great. If Moore was so great a RB, how come he did not command more attention in free agency? I am not trying to knock Moore. I think Moore is a good player. He is not the player some of you are making him out to be.

I do not understand why people want to pick on something so petty. Every RB has strengths and weaknesses. Show me a RB and I will show you flaws in his game.

How could they do more with the Oline they had in place this season? How could they do more with injuries? How could they do more with Ben not playing well on a consistent basis? How could they do more with the WRs dropping easy passes? The offense failed to reach its potential for several reasons.[/quote]

I just mean for this year, where we had no real running game. There weren't too many games this year where we ran the ball effectively. Having a RB that can run it or take off into the flats on any down would have been a much better option than a RB that is a horrible pass catcher being in there on first and second down where a defense can disregard the pass to him any down he is in there and then switch to a back that can catch on 3rd down.

I agree if our run game was working then having a RB that can't catch is no big deal, but when your O is struggling as much as ours was having a lot of options is the way I would have gone.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-10-2009, 03:24 AM
2005- Whiz OC
24th in Passing (Up)
5th in Rushing (Down)

2006- Whiz OC
9th in Passing (up)
10th in Rushing (Down)

2007- BA OC
22nd in Passing (Down)
3rd in Rushing (UP)

Sorry Chadman. When it comes to football, numbers can give you an outline, but cannot tell you a story. Unbalanced schedules make a huge difference from year to year.

However, there is a bigger matter when it comes to evaluating the Steelers O from 2005, 2006, 2007. That "big" matter is a Chrysler, as in the one that Ben drove into. Add the apendectomy a week before opening day and you have a completely unrelated Steelers O, exclusive of any affects that OCs can have on it.