PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Moves...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
These are the free-agents I have listed as possibilities:

WR- A. Toomer--4TH Receiver next year (sign cheap)
CB- K. Hayden, D. Robinson, R. Bartell
KR- J. Miller OAK, *C. Carr TENN
DL- *S. Cody, J. Haye TB, C. Cole, C. Canty, I. Olshansky, *A. Smith AZ
OL- J. Gross, *V. Carey, S. Peterman DET.

The ones with the asteric's are the ones I really like. If you have any info why these guys shouldn't be possibilities state why.

We also need to cut C. Davis, F. Bryant, T. Carter (Mundy), O. Roye, Berger

Resign: Colon, Madison, Essex, Nate Washington, B-McFadden

Need to decide between Starks or M. Smith---I don't like Starks--I think he will get his contract and suck. However I don't like Smith who seems like he can't get healthy--So I will leave this in the hands of the Steelers organization.
Resign Kemo only if he comes cheap (there are no other G's in Free agency. And not alot in the draft either.

I have our D-Line as our #1 priority with the 0-Line as the 2nd top priority.
Our D-Line starters are old and their backups are old--The draft is where we need to fill this hole and also sign S. Cody (take a chance on him for a small price)

O-Line--Sign V. Carey OT--Start him in Colon's spot and move Colon to Kemo's spot at G
Thoughts?

Sign: C. Carr--Good backup CB and very good KR

lET Simmons and Stapleton duke it out for the other G spot--Stapleton should win!!! I don't like Simmons.

DRAFT:

I love Tyson Jackson LSU DE in the 1st rnd
Draft Unger or Mack in the 2nd and we should be set

ALL THOUGHTS WELCOMED!

I am already having Football withdrawls and have seen the SB 3X now!

AkronSteel
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM

The ones with the asteric's are the ones I really like. If you have any info why these guys shouldn't be possibilities state why.

Need to decide between Starks or M. Smith---I don't like Starks--I think he will get his contract and suck. However I don't like Smith who seems like he can't get healthy--So I will leave this in the hands of the Steelers organization.
Resign Kemo only if he comes cheap (there are no other G's in Free agency. And not alot in the draft either.

Our D-Line starters are old and their backups are old--The draft is where we need to fill this hole and also sign S. Cody (take a chance on him for a small price)

O-Line--Sign V. Carey OT--Start him in Colon's spot and move Colon to Kemo's spot at G
Thoughts?

lET Simmons and Stapleton duke it out for the other G spot--Stapleton should win!!! I don't like Simmons.

DRAFT:

ALL THOUGHTS WELCOMED!

I'm with ya brother! I can't wait till the free agency season starts because at least there is news!

I think there are some decent guard prospects on the market! Jahri Evans for one would be a decent sign...I think Jason Brown would be great too but he is more of a center than guard!

I think Chris Carr and Vernon Carey would be awesome!

buckeyehoppy
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Thoughts?

DRAFT:

ALL THOUGHTS WELCOMED!

I'm with ya brother! I can't wait till the free agency season starts because at least there is news!

I think there are some decent guard prospects on the market! Jahri Evans for one would be a decent sign...I think Jason Brown would be great too but he is more of a center than guard!

I think Chris Carr and Vernon Carey would be awesome!

Carey would be good, but I would still need to see the Steelers draft a T high to spell him and add depth.

Carr would also be a good add. Excellent for DB depth. And anything he contributes to the return game is a bonus.

Getting some help prior to the draft is necessary. It will lay the ground work for where the team needs to go. Also, the Steelers REALLY NEED to get Jimmy Hate from Kent State in long term. He comes up after the end of next season and the time to get him done is this off-season.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, definetly re-do Harrison--I believe we have 19-25 million to work with. I think Foote isn't 100% gone also--We may look into keeping him one more year to backup Timmons. Who else would backup Timmons? If we get someone decent for a backup we can save 3 mill by lettting foote go.

AkronSteel
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
We have to re-up the hometown Akron man for sure!! He and Heath are the major one year contracts that need to get taken care of this year!!! They need to extend these two as soon as possible!

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
What about Hampton--I don't see us giving him a new contract at the age of 33 and 400pds when he begins the 2010 season. We don't have his backup, so we may need to invest early for a DT or look at G. Watson from AZ--I would give up a 3rd or a 4th comp pick for him but nothing elso (RFA)

Oviedo
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
DRAFT:

I really like Jackson too and he is my clear desire for 1.32 but I think he will be gone by then.

Both Unger and Mack will be long gone by 2.64. Kraig Urbik may be there at 2.64 and if so I think he would be a good OL pick up if we don't take OL in Round 1.

The way I think the first three picks of the draft plays out is:

Round1: OL (Mack, Robinson, Britten or Loadholdt; )
Round2: DL
Round3a: OL

steelblood
02-10-2009, 02:38 PM
You want to

resign starks or smith
resign nate
resign mcfadden
resign colon
sign vernon carey
sign c carr
resign essex and madison
redo harrison's contract

I think you've overspent

Starks (6 mil - minimum)
Nate (1.5-2 mil)
McFadden (5.5 mil minimum)
Colon (RFA tender 1.5-2.0 mil, more if we want a real contract)
Carey (6 million per)
C Carr (2-3 mil minimum)
Essex (1-2 mil)
madison (1 mil)
Harrison (2-3 mil more for next season minimum from prorated signing bonus)

That's at least 28 million right there. Even if we restructure some guys and we cut the guys you were talking about (who would need to replace anyway), I think we'd still be over. Signing all those FAs also leaves us with little flexibility to sign Heath and our other FAs next year.

Oviedo
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
You want to

resign starks or smith
resign nate
resign mcfadden
resign colon
sign vernon carey
sign c carr
resign essex and madison
redo harrison's contract

I think you've overspent

Starks (6 mil - minimum)
Nate (1.5-2 mil)
McFadden (5.5 mil minimum)
Colon (RFA tender 1.5-2.0 mil, more if we want a real contract)
Carey (6 million per)
C Carr (2-3 mil minimum)
Essex (1-2 mil)
madison (1 mil)
Harrison (2-3 mil more for next season minimum from prorated signing bonus)

That's at least 28 million right there. Even if we restructure some guys and we cut the guys you were talking about (who would need to replace anyway), I think we'd still be over. Signing all those FAs also leaves us with little flexibility to sign Heath and our other FAs next year.

Steelblood I think you lay it out absolutely right on. I would also add that you need to extend Woodley this year because you really don't want to wait until he has one year left in 2010 when he grabs something like 15 sacks next season. I think we need to pay now for him even though he has two years left.

Just not enough money which is why you let Bmac and Nate both walk and you won't be signing Carey.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
We have 20 of that 28 million now--That is without cuts and without letting go of Foote which will give us an extra 3 - 4 million. So we are not as far off as you would think. We need to sign a decent O-Linemen. Fat Max with a hefty contract is no good and Marvels back can't be relied on.

I say we go : D-L O-LINE and D-Line in that order for the draft and sign Carey.