PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Timmons take on the Superbowl

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 01:16 AM
http://www.timmons94.com/blog.html

Timmons has his personal website updated with personal reports from before and after the Superbowl. He said before the Superbowl that everything was slowing down for him and basically he is comfortable with everything. He says everything is 'going smooth like running water".

Anyway, anyone that says he is a bust now needs their head examined.

DukieBoy
02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
And he is only 22 years old.

Oviedo
02-08-2009, 12:31 PM

All the complainers fail to realize that with two seaosn behind him Timmons is the same age as players coming out in this year's draft. The guy is going to be a beast.

The same for Mendy. Next year in camp he will be the same age or in many cases younger than RBs who get drafted this April. He was also 20 when drafted and will only get bigger and stronger and better.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Sweed is 24 heading on 25. Nate Washington is 25 heading on 26! Man....seems like Sweed is behind the curve. Nate went to pretty much a high school for college and Sweed went to freaking Texas.....yet it seems at only one year younger, Sweed is far behind Nate development wise.

feltdizz
02-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Sweed is 24 heading on 25. Nate Washington is 25 heading on 26! Man....seems like Sweed is behind the curve. Nate went to pretty much a high school for college and Sweed went to freaking Texas.....yet it seems at only one year younger, Sweed is far behind Nate development wise.

How is Sweed behind the curve if Nate had 2 or 3 years in a pro system and Sweed is a rookie.

College fans put too much stock on the name on the jersey...that would be like saying Ben is a scrub because he went to Miami of Ohio...

There is a reason why most major conference college QB's suck when they get to the NFL... look at the conference championship QB's and where they went to college?

Delaware
Miami of Ohio
Syracuse
Northern Iowa

with Sweed he was wide open catching a fatter ball against scrubs 8 games a year...
He will be good but the college he went to has no bearing on his success against grown men trying to keep their jobs.

you can't discount NFL experience cause Sweed went to Texas.

one other thing.. college players can only practice 20 hours a week during the school year and Nate was making NFL dollars and had 365 days to practice and pay for trainers...
not calling you out but the Sweed argument doesn't hold water IMO...

feltdizz
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM

All the complainers fail to realize that with two seaosn behind him Timmons is the same age as players coming out in this year's draft. The guy is going to be a beast.

The same for Mendy. Next year in camp he will be the same age or in many cases younger than RBs who get drafted this April. He was also 20 when drafted and will only get bigger and stronger and better.

yep.. my main argument about Mendenhall was that he had 1 year of college as a starter...
even Tomlin compared his growth to Timmons.. he said he is 20.. and has all the tools but he is still a kid in the NFL. I watched so much of him in college and knew he was a beast but you can't ignore FWP's numbers against NFL defenses... Mend is the future and will be just like Timmons.. a beast.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 07:06 PM

How is Sweed behind the curve if Nate had 2 or 3 years in a pro system and Sweed is a rookie.

College fans put too much stock on the name on the jersey...that would be like saying Ben is a scrub because he went to Miami of Ohio...

There is a reason why most major conference college QB's suck when they get to the NFL... look at the conference championship QB's and where they went to college?

Delaware
Miami of Ohio
Syracuse
Northern Iowa

with Sweed he was wide open catching a fatter ball against scrubs 8 games a year...
He will be good but the college he went to has no bearing on his success against grown men trying to keep their jobs.

one other thing.. college players can only practice 20 hours a week during the school year and Nate was making NFL dollars and had 365 days to practice and pay for trainers...

Just pointing out that Nate is only one year older than Sweed. I think it is a factor to look at the college a player went to. Tiffin vs. Texas....I do think that matters. If you don't thats cool. Also, how is Nate heading into year 4, Sweed year two, yet they are only a year apart? Did Sweed flunk a year in high school?

feltdizz
02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
redshirt for Sweed.. he was injured I think.. may have also been held back in HS a year...

You have to respect the player and not the college.. James Harrison went to Kent State for goodness sakes.

I would love to know how many Texas WR's are tearing up the league.... college name means nothing when it comes to the NFL.. it used to but teams have been burned by college names and stats that they will look to Delaware or Arena league for a QB before looking at a Big Ten QB...

I know DL and OL's are filled with big name college guys.. but skill position is tricky.. if you put up crazy numbers the scouts will find you... cause regardless of the size of the school you are playing against a level playing field. Way too many big name schools play 2 tough games a year where a WR has to actually beat their guy.. the other times they are running 10 yards downfield wide open.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
redshirt for Sweed.. he was injured I think.. may have also been held back in HS a year...

You have to respect the player and not the college.. James Harrison went to Kent State for goodness sakes.

I would love to know how many Texas WR's are tearing up the league.... college name means nothing when it comes to the NFL.. it used to but teams have been burned by college names and stats that they will look to Delaware or Arena league for a QB before looking at a Big Ten QB...

I know DL and OL's are filled with big name college guys.. but skill position is tricky.. if you put up crazy numbers the scouts will find you... cause regardless of the size of the school you are playing against a level playing field. Way too many big name schools play 2 tough games a year where a WR has to actually beat their guy.. the other times they are running 10 yards downfield wide open.

Not real sure I understand what your problem is with my initial post.

Sweed is 24 heading on 25. Nate Washington is 25 heading on 26!

This statement is a fact.....

Man....seems like Sweed is behind the curve.

My impression considering Nate has accomlished a tremendous amount compared to Sweed yet he is only one year older......

Nate went to pretty much a high school for college and Sweed went to freaking Texas

Sorry, but if you think playing at Tiffin prepares you for playing in the NFL as well as playing at Texas does then we will disagree till the end of time. You bring up James Harrison going to Kent state.....but look how long it took him to get his foot in the door with the Steelers. They cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once.

.....yet it seems at only one year younger, Sweed is far behind Nate development wise.

This is a fact.

I guess looking back, for their first season in the NFL they are about the same. Nate had one grab in 2005 in the AFCCG. Sweed didn't fare much better this season.

SteelCrazy
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Delaware
Miami of Ohio
Syracuse
Northern Iowa

That's contradicting yourself a little. It doesn't matter the name on a jersey when it's the QB, but the guys covering Sweed in college are scrubs? Although I agree you cant discount NFL experience.

SidSmythe
02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Sweed is a rookie and has proven he can get open but cant catch.

Nate has been in the NFL for 4 yrs. and has proven he can get open but can't catch.

The only difference is Sweed is still a rookie

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Delaware
Miami of Ohio
Syracuse
Northern Iowa

That's contradicting yourself a little. It doesn't matter the name on a jersey when it's the QB, but the guys covering Sweed in college are scrubs? Although I agree you cant discount NFL experience.

no it's not... OK, I'll admit, scrubs is a strong word... but my point is most top tier schools and NFL caliber WR's only play 3 games a year against NFL caliber cornerbacks....

College success does not equal NFL success.

feltdizz
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Not real sure I understand what your problem is with my initial post.

Sweed is 24 heading on 25. Nate Washington is 25 heading on 26!

This statement is a fact.....

Man....seems like Sweed is behind the curve.

My impression considering Nate has accomlished a tremendous amount compared to Sweed yet he is only one year older......

Nate went to pretty much a high school for college and Sweed went to freaking Texas

Sorry, but if you think playing at Tiffin prepares you for playing in the NFL as well as playing at Texas does then we will disagree till the end of time. You bring up James Harrison going to Kent state.....but look how long it took him to get his foot in the door with the Steelers. They cut him 3 times and the Ravens cut him once.

.....yet it seems at only one year younger, Sweed is far behind Nate development wise.

This is a fact.

I guess looking back, for their first season in the NFL they are about the same. Nate had one grab in 2005 in the AFCCG. Sweed didn't fare much better this season.

you answered your on question... my point is college will never trump NFL experience regardless of age.

say 2 guys graduate from high school
one goes to Harvard for engineering and graduates...
the other guy goes to vocation school for 2 years then gets a job at boeing as a tech...

when the Harvard guy comes in.. he will not be up to speed with the vocation school guy because that guy has worked at the company for 2 years already.. no book can prepare you for the actual Boeing training cause Harvard isn't Boeing.

One other thing... you know why Harrison kept getting cut? Cause he couldn't learn the zone blitz system. It wasn't because he went to Kent State... he just didn't have the mental aspect of the game down.

Nate went to Tiffin.. but he has been running Steeler routes for 3 years and working with Ben in the off season...

No amount of Texas reps can equal a Steeler practice or Steeler playbook. Age has nothing to do with it... Sweed will get better but like you said.. you have to compare rookie year to rookie year.