PDA

View Full Version : Per Lolley, Whiz trying to poach LB'er coach Butler

BigRob
02-07-2009, 12:15 AM
That bastard Whiz fired Pendergast and is trying to hire away Butler. He was supposed to be our replacement for Lebeau. They have requested an interview with Butler and we can't stop it because its a promotion.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com

Snatch98
02-07-2009, 12:33 AM
If Bulter knows he's going to be the eventual replacement for Lebeau I can't see him leaving for Arizona. When do we expect Lebeau to retire? after next season? I just can't imagine him leaving the best defense in the NFL as the eventual replacement if that is a fact.

pfelix73
02-07-2009, 01:12 PM
When I first saw the story last night about them letting go their DC, I was wondering if Whizzer would try something like that. Butler is probably the heir apparent to Dick LeBeau.

pfelix73
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I said that before I read the article...........oops.

mshifko
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
he's done a good job, but just look at the talent that has came through...we have stud linebackers, even if we lose butler we'll be fine...lebeau has these guys knowing their assignments and he lets them do their own thing...

anjang86
02-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I wonder why Tomlin doesn't just make Butler the asst. HC just like Cowher did with Grimm. That way he can't be taken for any position besides HC.

ANPSTEEL
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I wonder why Tomlin doesn't just make Butler the asst. HC just like Cowher did with Grimm. That way he can't be taken for any position besides HC.

I was thinking that same thing-

if the team does anticipate him taking over for LeBeau when he steps down- and if Butler wants the job-

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Defensive Line coach John Mitchell is the assistant head coach.

Discipline of Steel
02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
he's done a good job, but just look at the talent that has came through...we have stud linebackers, even if we lose butler we'll be fine...lebeau has these guys knowing their assignments and he lets them do their own thing...

I realize we have great talent at the position but good coaching is what makes that talent pan out. Considering how dominant our linebackers are, the coaching has to be better than average. A lesser coach will get less out of the unit, so I think losing Butler probably hurts us unless we can find an equal replacement. Finding that person sounds like a tall order.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM

I realize we have great talent at the position but good coaching is what makes that talent pan out. Considering how dominant our linebackers are, the coaching has to be better than average. A lesser coach will get less out of the unit, so I think losing Butler probably hurts us unless we can find an equal replacement. Finding that person sounds like a tall order.

Yup...Farrior was a first round pick who wasn't exactly living up to those lofty expectations in New York. Woodley is a young kid who played primarily DE at the college level and had to adjust to his role as a 3-4 NFL OLB. Foote was a 4th round pick, and guys taken in the middle of the draft tend to be hit or miss. Harrison was an undrafted free agent that was cut multiple times. But Butler helped take this ragtag bunch of misfits and transformed them into the best d@mn LB corps in all the land. It's certainly not just talent.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I wonder if this same insight can be applied to to the rest of our coaches? 8)

ray
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Why not make Butler an assistant DC? Yeah the Position of DC would still be a promotion but being assistant DC here knowing he will take over when the time comes may give him the incentive to stay here even if offered the DC position in AZ.

phillyesq
02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks like the Steelers dodged a bullet:

From profootballtalk:

DAVIS LOOKS TO BE THE CARDS’ CHOICE FOR DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2009, 12:04 p.m. EST

Earlier in the day, Aaron Wilson posted an update regarding the Cardinals’ search for a new defensive coordinator.

We’re hearing that the clubhouse favorite for the job is linebackers coach Bill Davis.

Davis was hired by the team in 2007, after coach Ken Whisenhunt got the job. Davis previously coordinated the 49ers’ defense (2005-06). Before that, he worked as linebacker coach for the Giants (2004), linebackers coach for the Falcons (2001-03), defensive assistant/defensive line for the Packers (2000), defensive assistant/linebackers for the Browns (1999), outside linebackers coach for the Panthers (1995-98).

His first NFL job came in 1992, as a defensive assistant on Bill Cowher’s initial staff with the Steelers. Davis worked in Pittsburgh through 1994.

The 43-year-old coach also spent two years coaching at Michigan State. He played quarterback and receiver at the University of Cincinnati from 1985 through 1988, and he spent some time in training camp with the Dolphins, as a receiver.

feltdizz
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Can you blame Whiz??? I would try to get the Steelers LB coach too.. the LB play we have is amazing. Remember all the talk about Poz and other great LB's who started form day one?

You have to love an organization who is patient enough to keep a guy on the bench even though he is a better talent because we look at the bigger picture.

Slapstick
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't believe that the Steelers are required to allow any of their assistant coaches to interview with another team, unless it is for the Head Coaching position...it is left to the discretion of the head coach...

Cowher did not allow Grimm to interview with Joe Gibbs for an offensive coordinator position several years ago, but gave him the title of Assistant HC to make up for it...

Personally, I'm not sure why Pendergast did to warrant being fired...his defense stopped the Steelers three times inside the five yard line and scored a safety...I don't blame him for Santonio's TD...there were three guys in position to make that play...it just happened to be one of the greatest catches in SB history...

On the other hand, Todd Haley is a hot HC commodity...Larry Fitzgerald had one catch in the first half and the offense gave up a 100 yard INT return...furthermore, the protection broke down on their last drive, giving Woodley the chance to get a sack and a forced fumble....

Pendergast did more to help the Cards win that game than Haley...Pendergast's defense gave up fewer points than LeBeau's....

pfelix73
02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I thought I saw somewhere in the news that Mitchell was going to the 49'ers. Or was that someone else? I thought he was offered the DC position out there.....

pfelix73
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Checked out 49'ers site, I guess I'm wrong..... Could've sworn I heard Mitchell's name in the news though....

northgate1980
02-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't believe that the Steelers are required to allow any of their assistant coaches to interview with another team, unless it is for the Head Coaching position...it is left to the discretion of the head coach...

Cowher did not allow Grimm to interview with Joe Gibbs for an offensive coordinator position several years ago, but gave him the title of Assistant HC to make up for it...

Personally, I'm not sure why Pendergast did to warrant being fired...his defense stopped the Steelers three times inside the five yard line and scored a safety...I don't blame him for Santonio's TD...there were three guys in position to make that play...it just happened to be one of the greatest catches in SB history...

On the other hand, Todd Haley is a hot HC commodity...Larry Fitzgerald had one catch in the first half and the offense gave up a 100 yard INT return...furthermore, the protection broke down on their last drive, giving Woodley the chance to get a sack and a forced fumble....

Pendergast did more to help the Cards win that game than Haley...Pendergast's defense gave up fewer points than LeBeau's....

From what they were saying in the media here, this was a predetermined move to fire Pendergast. They had a number of games where they were horrid, and gave up 420 some odd points this year. From what I seen, generally if they didn't turn you over, you scored on them.