PDA

View Full Version : A belated congrats on another Bowl win

HardlinerKC
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Had to re-rgister here with a more definitive board name as I've recently upgraded to another computer and....well, you know the drill. Anyway, all good and this revised board name may serve me better for those who don't know me anyway.

What a Superbowl, yes? I had no idea that AZ could make it a game but they did prove they belonged on the big stage, as did Ben, Santonio and the rest of your team who manned up and got it done when it counted. I was more nervous for you guys than the proverbial lady of loose morals in church when Fitz took it to the house in the 4th quarter. Again, some great game though and again, congrats on being the champs once again.

You may have noticed that the facelift in KC is nearing completion? Long overdue in my opinion. Waaaaay long overdue. Let me get through the next 6 months with Pioli and Haley. At the end of that time, I'll come back here and either talk some smack about the 2009 regular season encounter of the Chiefs/Steel or let you know that you can relax and not worry about the young Chiefs this season.

Hopefully, I can talk some small smack but that remains to be seen. Meantime, enjoy the accolades and Superbowl winning walk in the sunshine. You all deserve it.

Djfan
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks! We really wanted to share the good SB karma with you by letting Bruce A bring the mojo to KC. Sorry it didn't work out.

Good luck next year.

HardlinerKC
02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Just saw this latest story from SI on the Chief's new coach which may qualify for some early Hardliner smack. REAL early, now:

With Kansas City hiring former Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley as its new head coach -- effectively ending the NFL's version of musical chairs at that level -- let's take a look at what kind of football man the Chiefs are getting.

That's an important way to term it -- football man. To build a partnership with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, Haley will have to call on the coaching skills he developed on the staffs of the Jets, Bears, Cowboys and Cardinals as receivers coach and offensive coordinator the past 11 years. He'll also need to use the acumen he learned growing up in the household of the underrated piece of the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty of the '70s. His dad, Dick, was director of player personnel for the Steelers and a key guy in the best draft of all time that set Pittsburgh up for greatness. In 1974, the Steelers chose Hall of Famers Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster in the first five rounds. Dick Haley took his job home with him, and Todd loved when he could sit in on his father's film-watching sessions in their Pittsburgh home.

Friends say Haley really wanted the Chiefs gig because he believes in Pioli's ability to build a team; they worked together briefly with the Jets from 1997 to '99, when Pioli was the Jets' director of pro personnel and Haley the team's fledgling receivers coach. For a short span before that, Haley worked under his father in the Jets' scouting department. He'd never coached before, and one day told his father he thought he'd like to try coaching -- if Jets coach Bill Parcells would have him. The rest, now, is history.

A decade ago, there was a feeling in the Jets' organization that maybe Haley had it too easy climbing the ladder, getting his foot in the pro football door because of his father. That's true. But as one former Jets player told me during Super Bowl week: "Todd knew he had to work harder at it because everyone was looking at him, thinking he was there because of his dad. When you work for Parcells, you're not going to be able to slack off anyway. But Todd had to show people he deserved to be where he was.''

Haley had a hothead reputation in New York, arguing with Keyshawn Johnson at times. That's a double-edged sword. It's good to stand up to players, of course, but not good to get into multiple shouting matches with them. Haley likely had to convince Pioli and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt in his interview this week that he wouldn't be going nose-to-nose with players every week.

But 11 years of dues-paying proved Haley was a worker bee who could make good players better. His gameplans, in particular, were praised by the Steelers as they prepared for the Super Bowl, and for good reason. The Cardinals put up a season-high 407 total yards on Pittsburgh's top-rated defense in the Super Bowl, and Arizona was only the second team to throw three touchdown passes on the Steelers. The Cards did all that with just 27 minutes of possession time.

For Pioli, it's likely he would have wanted to hire Josh McDaniels before the Broncos scooped up the New England offensive coordinator, or Steve Spagnuolo before St. Louis hired the Giants' defensive boss. But maybe Pioli got lucky. In Haley he's getting a very smart game-planner, a guy who can command a room, and a former personnel man with scouting in his genes.

The Chiefs have a lot of questions to answer. Will Chan Gailey stay as offensive coordinator and form a bond with a young coach he doesn't know? Will Haley be stuck with a couple of dissatisfied veterans, tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Larry Johnson? Who's the quarterback of the future -- Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel or Matt Stafford? Who runs the defense? And they're behind the other 31 teams in the league in getting answers to those questions.

I know this: If I'm the rest of the AFC West, and I see Scott Pioli and the son of Dick Haley with $45 million in salary cap room, and with the third and 34th picks in the April draft, I'm getting a little nervous.

fordfixer
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks and good luck to your team next year or two :tt1

stlrz d
02-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks man!

AZ canned their DC...will he end up in KC with Haley???

HardlinerKC
02-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks man!

I don't know SteelD. Don't know their relationship in AZ and why AZ felt the need to deep six the guy but, as we all know, fired coaches always seem to re-surface somewhere else for some reason.

I've heard whispers about the young LB coach of the Patties, Matt Patricia, being strongly considered which makes sense, given Pioli's penchant for going with guys he knows but this DC hiring should be Haley's call, shouldn't it?

I think all the leftover guys on the staff, mainly from the offensive side, will all get a close look as to their future status as well. It could be a tumultuous time in Chief's coaching land with maybe a complete turnover before all is said and done. I do hope Haley keeps Chan Gailey as the OC though as Chan worked a few miracles this past season with Thiggy.

steelz09
02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Hardliner,

What's your thoughts on Thigpen. Do you KC fans think that the new coach will keep him or dump him. I hope he stays, being a Coastal alumni. I truly think he played decent this year. The weakest part of KC is their defense. Absolutely pitiful that the offense could put up 30+ points and still lose.

stlrz d
02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks man!

I don't know SteelD. Don't know their relationship in AZ and why AZ felt the need to deep six the guy but, as we all know, fired coaches always seem to re-surface somewhere else for some reason.

I've heard whispers about the young LB coach of the Patties, Matt Patricia, being strongly considered which makes sense, given Pioli's penchant for going with guys he knows but this DC hiring should be Haley's call, shouldn't it?

I think all the leftover guys on the staff, mainly from the offensive side, will all get a close look as to their future status as well. It could be a tumultuous time in Chief's coaching land with maybe a complete turnover before all is said and done. I do hope Haley keeps Chan Gailey as the OC though as Chan worked a few miracles this past season with Thiggy.

Well I guess it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Btw, I think you guys have a hidden gem in Thigpen. The few times I saw him he looked good to me...and he got me hella fantasy points after I picked him up! :D

HardlinerKC
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Hardliner,

What's your thoughts on Thigpen. Do you KC fans think that the new coach will keep him or dump him. I hope he stays, being a Coastal alumni. I truly think he played decent this year. The weakest part of KC is their defense. Absolutely pitiful that the offense could put up 30+ points and still lose.

Jahansle1,

Thiggy is an egnima in many ways. As you most likely know, the guy is athletic for a QB, able to pull it down and actually do some decent broken field running when required, has a fairly strong arm but not a cannon, more in the class of a Matt Ryan as opposed to a Ben or a Cutler. Still, he thrives only in the spread offense and the jury is way out as to that being a viable fulltime formation in the NFL.

OC Chan Gailey, as mentioned previously, was instrumental in designing plays and sets that played to Thiggy's strengths and he did do well, throwing about 18 TDs but was also inconsistent with a completion percentage around 55% or slightly better. One also cannot ignore the fact that Thiggy was 1-10 as a starter but in most of those games, losing many of them by less than a TD.

Given Todd Haley's background, it will be interesting to see if he, Haley, can get more consistency out of Thigpen AND whether the spread will be used on a regular basis.

If Haley thinks he can iron out Thiggy's game, then don't look for Tony G to be sent to another team as those two are tighter than bark on a tree, not to mention that Tony G was the primary guy in this "ArrowSpread" offense. Realistically, I don't think Thigpen is a longterm answer but am willing to be proven wrong.

proudpittsburgher
02-07-2009, 11:53 AM
You are good people, hardliner. Thanks for the props. :tt1 Personally, I think the Chiefs got duped by a lot of hype on Todd Haley, who's first glimpse of fame wasn't necessarily brought about with how good the offense was, rather his sideline blow-up with a player. But Pioli has proven to be a very good evaluator of talent, so we will see. It's also too bad you have to deal with guys like Larry Johnson, who really seems to be a bit too high on himself. Kansas City is a great football town who deserves moer than it has been getting over the past few seasons. Good luck.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Hardliner,

Jahansle1,

Thiggy is an egnima in many ways. As you most likely know, the guy is athletic for a QB, able to pull it down and actually do some decent broken field running when required, has a fairly strong arm but not a cannon, more in the class of a Matt Ryan as opposed to a Ben or a Cutler. Still, he thrives only in the spread offense and the jury is way out as to that being a viable fulltime formation in the NFL.

OC Chan Gailey, as mentioned previously, was instrumental in designing plays and sets that played to Thiggy's strengths and he did do well, throwing about 18 TDs but was also inconsistent with a completion percentage around 55% or slightly better. One also cannot ignore the fact that Thiggy was 1-10 as a starter but in most of those games, losing many of them by less than a TD.

Given Todd Haley's background, it will be interesting to see if he, Haley, can get more consistency out of Thigpen AND whether the spread will be used on a regular basis.

If Haley thinks he can iron out Thiggy's game, then don't look for Tony G to be sent to another team as those two are tighter than bark on a tree, not to mention that Tony G was the primary guy in this "ArrowSpread" offense. Realistically, I don't think Thigpen is a longterm answer but am willing to be proven wrong.

I miss having an offensive coordinator that is instrumental in designing plays and sets that played to his players' strengths.

HardlinerKC
02-07-2009, 02:44 PM
You are good people, hardliner. Thanks for the props. :tt1 Personally, I think the Chiefs got duped by a lot of hype on Todd Haley, who's first glimpse of fame wasn't necessarily brought about with how good the offense was, rather his sideline blow-up with a player. But Pioli has proven to be a very good evaluator of talent, so we will see. It's also too bad you have to deal with guys like Larry Johnson, who really seems to be a bit too high on himself. Kansas City is a great football town who deserves moer than it has been getting over the past few seasons. Good luck.

Thanks for the good words, ProudPB. You may be right about Haley. The connection with Pioli when both worked for the Jets for about 3 seasons back in the late 90s was a key consideration. Clearly, this was Pioli's guy from the start although the team had to wait for Zona to finish their season before they could sit down and talk.

Couldn't agree more on the time and trials of LJ. He's MORE than worn out his welcome, will turn 30 next year, has been in trouble off the field, and a surly cancer in the locker room. Vermeil tried to light a fire with those famous 'diaper' comments a few years back and it got LJ motivated for a time.

Then, Herm comes in, becomes everyone's pal, including more coddling of LJ and the Chiefs went downhill from there. I very much doubt Haley will put up with LJ's attitude but it's a moot point because I think they'll move him for a Coke and a Smile to any team wanting to take a chance. Someone offers a late round pick and the Chiefs will unload him faster than a tray of stale bagels at 11am.