PDA

View Full Version : Mike Francesa (WFAN-NYC) dissing the Steeler Nation

rpmpit
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I sometimes listen to Mike's show on my drive home. He's an obnoxious know-it-all, but he entertains me. The other day he stated that the Steeler Nation is a rip off of the Red Sox Nation and that the Sox used it first. My blood started to boil :evil:

I got on my cell and for the entire drive home, I kept trying to call in. No luck. In the meantime I got some facts to support my argument. I knew that "Steeler Nation" was coined in 1975 by John Facenda of NFL films during the '75 season highlight film. Red Sox Nation was coined in 1986 by Boston Globe reporter Nathan Cobb. So for the next two days I kept calling at random times during his show. I couldn't find an email address for him. So I FINALLY got through yesterday. The screener who answered the phone said I was the 100,000th or so Steeler fan to call in and complain. He said Mike knew but that they weren't talking about it anymore. Well, at least Steeler Nation represented by calling in. That made me proud.

proudpittsburgher
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
there was a reason he split up from Mad Dog. Mad dog can take a while to get used to , but he seems to cut through the BS pretty quickly, and Francessa is pretty full of BS.

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Red Sox Nation...whatever...we upgraded to the Planet anyway, since no nation could hold us all in. :mrgreen:

MeetJoeGreene
02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Does he have an email address? Cause we could all just flood that for the fun of it.

steeld95
02-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Does he have an email address? Cause we could all just flood that for the fun of it.

Good thought. He wants to mess wtih the nation, we need to make him pay and realize he needs to know his role! I grew up in north jersey and have never been a fan of him or mad dog.

rpmpit
02-06-2009, 02:39 PM

I couldn't find one anywhere on the site. Here's a link to WFAN's home page. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place???

http://www.wfan.com/

SteelerNation1
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I know SteelerNation was 1st, because some guy always brings a SteelerNation banner to every home game. :lol:

rpmpit
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I know SteelerNation was 1st, because some guy always brings a SteelerNation banner to every home game. :lol:

I know that guy!! He's a lot taller than me :lol: :lol:

fordfixer
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

cool that makes you almost famous :lol: :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM

cool that makes you almost famous :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jooser
02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/1920x1200ournation.jpg

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM

i was gonna try and call in as well, and mention ur sign being there.

he did try to explain his remark by saying in 2003 thats when the mainstream media picked up on the "red sox nation". before then, you never heard the media talking about a "nation"

steelernation was around a whole heck of a lot longer than that.

besides, leave my boy alone, it was his contest that i was able to win tickets to SB 43 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Flasteel
02-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Did somebody say "Steeler Nation"?

I may not represent like SN does, but here's my game day attire:
http://i41.tinypic.com/29lct2e.jpg

Representin'!

SteelerNation1
02-08-2009, 03:32 PM

:Clap :Clap :Clap You forgot more handsome also! :moon

buckeyehoppy
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Red Sux Nation my @$$!!!

We may be Steeler Nation!...

...JHans may have upgraded us to PlanetSteelers!...

...but buckeyehoppy knows that WE ARE The Steelers UNIVERSE!!! We have guys in outer f---ing space twirling The Terrible Towel upside down. Therefore, I know we are The Steelers Universe...it is bigger than a planet and bigger than other team's puny "nations".

Red Sux Nation my @$$. That tons-of-fun Francesa probably ate that like a cannoli!

feelthesteel
02-08-2009, 04:07 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZst2u_Jwp0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZst2u_Jwp0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DukieBoy
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I sometimes listen to Mike's show on my drive home. He's an obnoxious know-it-all, but he entertains me. The other day he stated that the Steeler Nation is a rip off of the Red Sox Nation and that the Sox used it first. My blood started to boil :evil:

I got on my cell and for the entire drive home, I kept trying to call in. No luck. In the meantime I got some facts to support my argument. I knew that "Steeler Nation" was coined in 1975 by John Facenda of NFL films during the '75 season highlight film. Red Sox Nation was coined in 1986 by Boston Globe reporter Nathan Cobb. So for the next two days I kept calling at random times during his show. I couldn't find an email address for him. So I FINALLY got through yesterday. The screener who answered the phone said I was the 100,000th or so Steeler fan to call in and complain. He said Mike knew but that they weren't talking about it anymore. Well, at least Steeler Nation represented by calling in. That made me proud.

Mike WHO?
Francesa?
Never heard of him.

HardlinerKC
02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
If ANYone, for any team, is looking for fair and balanced comments out of NYC, for whatever team you happen to follow, you're living in that dream world. Certainly true with places like Pittsburgh or KC, places that are accorded 'flyover' status by the self-proclaimed seers of all seers in the pinacle (according to them) of wisdom and knowledge.

One more thing? Francesca needs to get a clue and accept the fact that a 'flyover' team prevailed and punched a huge hole in his supposedly superior NYC balloon.

feelthesteel
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
i catch alot of **** from Giant fans.