PDA

View Full Version : Dunta Robinson and Shaun Cody --Free Agency.

WoodleyofTroy
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
First off, let me say I think after this win (although us fans have known this for years about the organization) the Steelers have turned the corner in the eyes of other players around the league in terms of a player not necessarily taking less, but having preference in Free agency...to come play for a champion (i.e.New England). A year too late Kevin Jones...

If you look at Free Agency, the Offense class is very weak compared to the Defense. Big names like Haynesworth, Suggs, Peppers, Lewis, Asomugha, Atogwe, Dansby, etc, will be at a premium.

I'd spend the draft focusing on Offense, and cash in a couple of Defensive free agents. With B-Mac getting that Super Bowl contract and Dunta Robinson hiding under a rock in Houston, the Steelers could strike black and gold with this move. He won't come cheap, but much cheaper than you'd expect from a guy like this. Take CB off your draft lists. That's one need down. And a upgrade to go with it.

I wanted Shaun Cody coming out of USC, as many Steeler draft followers did. An ideal fit on the End in this 3-4. Before there was an Adam Carriker, this was the guy who was suppose to spell and learn from Aaron Smith. This wouldn't prevent me from taking Tyson Jackson if he were there, but certainly would push the need down the list if we had this guy as insurance for the entire season.

steeld95
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd spend the draft focusing on Offense, and cash in a couple of Defensive free agents. With B-Mac getting that Super Bowl contract and Dunta Robinson hiding under a rock in Houston, the Steelers could strike black and gold with this move. He won't come cheap, but much cheaper than you'd expect from a guy like this. Take CB off your draft lists. That's one need down. And a upgrade to go with it.

I would love to sign Dunta Robinson. I went to college with him and pretty much saw every game he played. He was one of the best college DB's that I ever watched in person, and I have seen many. He actually has played very well in Houston, but in Houston you don't get much recognition. That would be a very solid signing if we could do it.

SidSmythe
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
ROBINSON IS UP HERE

B-MAC IS ABOUT HERE

CHAD SCOTT BEING ABOUT HERE

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
You forgot about Nnamdi, who is also a free agent:

ASOMUGHA IS WAY UP HERE

ROBINSON IS UP HERE

B-MAC IS ABOUT HERE

steeld95
02-06-2009, 02:04 PM

ASOMUGHA IS WAY UP HERE

ROBINSON IS UP HERE

B-MAC IS ABOUT HERE

but from a cap perspective, it is going to take alot more money to get Asomugha, which would limit us from trying to sign some O-lineman. We can probably get Robinson at a really good value and not take a huge cap hit. He is a very good player, he will shine with the Steelers.

Another thing about him...he does have good speed. In his college years, he did return punts every now and then.

Lebsteel
02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Dunta had a very significant knee/hamstring injury, so even though he was very good, I'm not sure we should take a chance on him unless we are totally sure he is healed and has regained his cutting ability and speed.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/15/texans-cb-dunta-robinson-may-return-houstons-defense-not-likel/

I do like the thought of signing Shaun Cody. He or Jovan Haye from Tampa Bay would be good pickups for the D-line. They are both young, seem like good fits for the 3-4 DE slot and have been in the league for 4 years. I agree that we should concentrate on the O-line in the first few rounds of the draft.

Another thought for a backup NT and future starter is Gabe Watson from the Cardinals. He is 6'4" and 335 lbs. I've watched the tape from the Super Bowl and he played very well. He made the tackle when Ben tried the QB draw play at the goal line. He looked reasonably mobile on that play for such a big guy. I don't think he would command too high of a contract and seems like he would be a great understudy for Hampton.

Lebsteel
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Dunta sounds like he would fit in very well as a Steeler, "pound for pound he is one of the hardest hitters in the NFL..."

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=92

Iron Shiek
02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Dunta had a very significant knee/hamstring injury, so even though he was very good, I'm not sure we should take a chance on him unless we are totally sure he is healed and has regained his cutting ability and speed.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/15/texans-cb-dunta-robinson-may-return-houstons-defense-not-likel/

I do like the thought of signing Shaun Cody. He or Jovan Haye from Tampa Bay would be good pickups for the D-line. They are both young, seem like good fits for the 3-4 DE slot and have been in the league for 4 years. I agree that we should concentrate on the O-line in the first few rounds of the draft.

Another thought for a backup NT and future starter is Gabe Watson from the Cardinals. He is 6'4" and 335 lbs. I've watched the tape from the Super Bowl and he played very well. He made the tackle when Ben tried the QB draw play at the goal line. He looked reasonably mobile on that play for such a big guy. I don't think he would command too high of a contract and seems like he would be a great understudy for Hampton.

I have heard and read of good things about Haye. Very Nice, How much?

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:A3zD_4L7b3EsCM:http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/nychump/BoratVeryNice.jpg

birtikidis
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM

ASOMUGHA IS WAY UP HERE

ROBINSON IS UP HERE

B-MAC IS ABOUT HERE

I am Here

jabba the hut is here

most retarded people are here

Chadman
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Add the name LEONARD WEAVER to your list of FA's worth looking at.

He's a 'do-it-all' FB out of SEATTLE that would instantly upgrade the position over Carey Davis.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2009, 03:07 AM

He's a 'do-it-all' FB out of SEATTLE that would instantly upgrade the position over Carey Davis.

And would likely rot on the bench under Bruce Arians.

Oviedo
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

The only FB I want from Seattle is Owen Schmitt.

steelcityrules!!
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM

The only FB I want from Seattle is Owen Schmitt.

:Clap

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM

I believe Gabe is a RFA--How does that work--I know if we offer a contract they have a chance to match--but do we have to fork out a draft pick for a RFA?

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

I believe Gabe is a RFA--How does that work--I know if we offer a contract they have a chance to match--but do we have to fork out a draft pick for a RFA?

Yes, if they didn't match our offer for a RFA, we would owe them a 2010 draft pick (not this year's draft). Which pick depends of what level of tender the player gets. If the Cardinals offer him the lowest tender, it would be a 4th round pick (the round in which he was originally drafted). If they gave him the highest tender, it would be a 1st and a 3rd, I believe.

Lebsteel
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Scout.com has Watson listed as a UFA but KFFL has him listed as a RFA. He might be worth a 4th round pick, but no more IMO.