PDA

View Full Version : SO CAL MAKES THE NEWS!! AGAIN!

Djfan
02-06-2009, 02:30 AM
http://www.thefridayflyer.com/FF-2009-2-6/FFS-11250.htm

Super fun in Canyon Lake

Whether it was an excited crowd of Steelers fans at Pepe’s Restaurant, or friends watching the first 3-D halftime commercial in Super Bowl history, football fans across the community had something to talk about on Monday morning besides the economy. With its close proximity to San Diego, it would be natural to think of Canyon Lake as Charger country, but Pepe’s Mexican Restaurant has been the official meeting place for the local chapter of the “SoCal Steel City Mafia” since 2007. On Sunday, the Steeler Nation transformed Canyon Lake into “Little Pittsburgh,” turning out in droves to watch their team battle the Arizona Cardinals in the big game. Excited fans decked out in team colors and waving “Terrible Towels” got together for this photo in front of Pepe’s before kickoff. One can just imagine what the atmosphere was like as the Steelers won a record setting sixth Super Bowl title with a 27-23 victory over Arizona!

NOTE: We actually call the place "Heinz West" not Little Pittsburgh. At least it was spelled correctly!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/SuperBowlGroup.jpg

Lebsteel
02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Pretty Cool!! That is awesome to have that many show up in San Diego! Way to go DJ!

Iron Shiek
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Way to represent DJ!!

Djfan
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks all. We've had three articles this last week alone. Our Santa Barbara chapter made the radio at a rally just before SB43, and our Orange County chapter leader does a weekly 15 minute radio spot on the local station there. The Steel City Mafia grows bigger and bigger. It's crazy!

We actually had about 220 people for the SB, which was down from the last 5 or 6 games, but that's the SB for you. We were competing with BBQs that people go to every year. Add to this that many of our group went to Las Vegas, and a few even made the SB in Tampa.

Iron Shiek
02-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks all. We've had three articles this last week alone. Our Santa Barbara chapter made the radio at a rally just before SB43, and our Orange County chapter leader does a weekly 15 minute radio spot on the local station there. The Steel City Mafia grows bigger and bigger. It's crazy!

We actually had about 220 people for the SB, which was down from the last 5 or 6 games, but that's the SB for you. We were competing with BBQs that people go to every year. Add to this that many of our group went to Las Vegas, and a few even made the SB in Tampa.

BBQ's and Super Bowl just sounds weird. I had to re-compose myself and remember you are in Cali. Geez.

Djfan
02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
That's funny Iron! It's always been funny to me when people get together and have a big BBQ or party for the SB, and they are not even football fans. It's just the culture of the SB I guess. Some people I have heard of only watch the SB and no other game.

I don't watch the SB unless we're in it. Last year I was grading papers until wifey made me watch it. She was very insistent. Glad I did in hindsight, but I didn't want to endure the Tom Brady Love Fest I knew was coming.

I usually go fishing on SB Sunday. The lake is empty because of the BBQs.

Iron Shiek
02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I was strictly saying that because of weather issues where I live. BBQ and SB don't mix typically around Ohio, that's why I was laughing. Although, I typically fire up the grill at least twice or three times in the winter just to keep the juices flowing...

Djfan
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I was strictly saying that because of weather issues where I live. BBQ and SB don't mix typically around Ohio, that's why I was laughing. Although, I typically fire up the grill at least twice or three times in the winter just to keep the juices flowing...

I understood you. I think it's funny because the BBQ is the issue to many people, not the game. Cali is strange. When you hear all the great things about it, just remember the people. We sent Pelosi to DC after all. They value the BBQ over the game. That should say it all.

stlrz d
02-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice!

I'm curious though...do all of those people have Burgh connections?

Or are they "bandwagon" fans like me?

Djfan
02-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Unofficially I compiled this data. About 20% of them are from Pittsburgh. The rest are like you and me, bandwagoners. Many married into it, and many were raised that way. My favorite story is of one girl (front center, on knees, making peace sign - her name is Julie) who became a fan through her exboyfriend. She is not with him because he was a jerk, but did convert her.

stlrz d
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Unofficially I compiled this data. About 20% of them are from Pittsburgh. The rest are like you and me, bandwagoners. Many married into it, and many were raised that way. My favorite story is of one girl (front center, on knees, making peace sign - her name is Julie) who became a fan through her exboyfriend. She is not with him because he was a jerk, but did convert her.

Thanks for the info...and keep in mind that I use the "bandwagon" term loosely. I think when you become a fan in '72 and have been hard core ever since the term "bandwagon" is a misnomer. Oh yeah, and the Steelers hadn't really won anything at the time I declared myself a fan...so what bandwagon did I jump on exactly? :P

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I think DJ gets exempt from bandwagonner status because he has obviously been a fan long enough to have the oldest, rattiest Terrible Towel there. The others have bright, newer ones, but yours has faded over the years from repeated use. Now that's a Towel.

Djfan
02-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I think DJ gets exempt from bandwagonner status because he has obviously been a fan long enough to have the oldest, rattiest Terrible Towel there. The others have bright, newer ones, but yours has faded over the years from repeated use. Now that's a Towel.

Ruth. You read my mind. I got that towel when I was selling them in San Diego. The team was busy losing to the Chargers in Three Rivers at the time, but that was the genesis of the towel. It has never been washed, and has more mojo than any frat boy in Key West on Spring Break.

Those pretty towels are the ones we sell at the club. It surprised me how few people had towels. Even hard core fans didn't. Mrs. Fan and I have purchased about 200 towels for sale in the two years we have had a successful club, and we always seems to run out of them.

As for the bandwagon moniker, I wear it proudly. I have run into many Charger fans who insist I am a bandwagoner. I just laugh and tell them that I am indeed a bandwagon fan. I jumped on before they were born.

Chachi
02-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Ah yes....there are some black terrible towels.

I didn't think they made them.

Djfan
02-08-2009, 11:44 AM
They sell just as quickly in our area as the gold ones do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NFL-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-BLACK-TERRIBLE-TOWEL_W0QQitemZ400029618111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_S M_Fan_Shop?hash=item400029618111&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50