PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: The New Sheriff in Town

fordfixer
02-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Ben Roethlisberger: The New Sheriff in Town

by Nick Signorelli

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1200 ... ff-in-town (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/120056-the-new-sheriff-in-town)
I was born in 1972. That means when the Steelers won their fourth Super Bowl, I wasn't really old enough to be concerned.

Since that time, we have had a long wait to have someone under center that I actually had any confidence in. The list is very long of people that were going to come in and take the beloved Steelers to the promised land of Super Bowl champions.

Here's a list of names for you: Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil "I made more from the Cowboys in one game than the rest of my career" O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and even Tommy Maddox.

Every time we got a new QB, I had to hear how none of them were as good as Terry Bradshaw. And at no point did any of them give me any ammunition to argue that fact.

Then came Big Ben.

When Roethlisberger took us to Super Bowl XL and won, I could finally say that my generation's Terry Bradshaw had arrived.

Then there was the motorcycle accident, and most everyone I know jumped off Ben's bandwagon as quick as LaMarr Woodley going after a fumble caused by James Harrison.

The accident scrambled his brains, fans said. He doesn't know what he is doing back there. Why does he hold the ball so long? And other comments that are not intended for children under the age of 18.

The biggest questions Roethlisberger had to answer, thanks to his admission of being scared the entire game of Super Bowl XL, were if he could handle the pressure and win the game instead of just being along for the ride.

The question has been answered with a resounding sixth Lombardi trophy.

I am not saying that Ben is better than Terry, but Bradshaw had a lot more to work with than Ben does. It took Terry four years to win his first Lombardi. Ben has two at the end of his fifth.

Lets take a look at some of what Roethlisberger has done in his first five years in the NFL:

--Most wins by a rookie

--Most wins in first five years

--8-2 playoff record, second only to Tom Brady

--Two Super Bowl wins

And with all of that, Roethlisberger has slowly turned the Steelers from a run-oriented team to a team that passes first. And he has done it successfully.

At the rate Ben is going, 20 years from now, people will be saying they want their generation's Ben Roethlisberger, the way we now say he is this generation's Terry Bradshaw.

Ozey74
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I couldn't agree more!!

Acero
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't believe he left Cliff Stoudt, Todd Blackledge, Steve Bono and Jim Miller off that list.

Djfan
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I can't believe he left Cliff Stoudt, Todd Blackledge, Steve Bono and Jim Miller off that list.

Now I can't eat lunch.

papillon
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM

JFC, thanks a lot! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Pappy

NW Steeler
02-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Now I can't eat lunch.

Then how much does the name Kent Graham make you want to vomit??

northgate1980
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Mike Tomczak anyone?

bostonsteeler
02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Mike Tomczak anyone?

Mikey was a good guy. Not a first-teamer, but a good backkup.
The rest there, now, other than O'Donnell, were klutzes.

O'Donnell got a bad rap. The second int in SB XXX was not his fault at all. If he hadn't bolted to the Jets, we probably make it to (and win) the SB in 96.. We had our best team of the 90s in 96, short of a QB.

True Fan
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
it's funny how the 'true' fans want to vomit now at the near mention of those names, but years ago claimed them to be good/great qbs and anybody that didn't support them new nothing about football and should find another team to root for. hmm

stlrz d
02-07-2009, 01:12 PM
It's funny how some "true" fans think it's funny to have a screen name denigrating a coach who has gone 25-11 in his first two seasons and won a Super Bowl in only his second season.