PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians Positive Attributes Thread

Flasteel
02-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Taking a cue from MJG, here is a place to park all of your favorable comments concerning our OC. Let's try to be civil to one another and be mindful that only positive comments about BA are to be placed here. A separate thread will be rolled out for any negative comments which need to be made. I'll start the Bruce love-fest.

1. Pared down the playbook and enlisted Ben's help in doing so.
2. Has surrendere3d a great deal of authority/ autonomy for Ben in changing the play or calling his own plays.
3. Digs the long ball
4. Okay, I'm stuck on three things, but this is why there is a thread. I'm sure someone can contribute something else which is positive.

fordfixer
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM
How much better would Bruce's game plan look if the o-line could open up some holes to run through?

buckeyehoppy
02-06-2009, 12:45 AM
How much better would Bruce's game plan look if the o-line could open up some holes to run through?

This is the great unknown. I have been one of the worst hammerers of BA on any of the Steelers discussion boards. But, for better or worse, he will be with the Steelers in 2009.

Oviedo has alluded to BA looking better if the personnel on the OL changes. To be fair, that's a legit point because the guys who played the Steelers OL in SBXLIII can be easily improved upon. FWIW, there will probably be at least a modest turnover because of the number of guys eligible for FA. I think it is safe to say the Steelers will kick off 2009 with no fewer than two new OL starters.

Hopefully, now that the club is in the capable hands of Colbert and the Brain Fart Trust :roll: we might be able to not only draft a suitable OL prospect in the first round who will be able to emerge as a Day One starter, but find a replacement in FA as well to restructure the OL and give Benjamin what he will need going forward: a meat wagon that can move bodies and sustain blocks.

Hopefully, BA can get this. If he does, then I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Granted, the onus will be squarely on BA at that point and that would be particularly true if he was able to lobby for some change on the OL (assuming he would be willing to do so). But a revamped line would end the excuses for our OC and BA has to know that. Then he would need to change some of the other deficiencies he allowed to fester this season, like, executing a rushing game w/o a FB, for example.

Mel Blount's G
02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
:|

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2009, 01:07 AM
A positive about Bruce Arians? When I went searching for a picture of him, on the second page of a Google Image Search for "Bruce Arians" there was Pappy's sig that Asian made. Go ahead, try it out for yourself. Google made me giggle, and it was all because I was searching for an Arians pic. That's good, right?

buckeyehoppy
02-06-2009, 01:28 AM
A positive about Bruce Arians? When I went searching for a picture of him, on the second page of a Google Image Search for "Bruce Arians" there was Pappy's sig that Asian made. Go ahead, try it out for yourself. Google made me giggle, and it was all because I was searching for an Arians pic. That's good, right?

Was there an image there of BA in cranial rectal inversion?

Djfan
02-06-2009, 03:02 AM
His first half game plan in SB 43 was artistic and effective. Very good.

AngryAsian
02-06-2009, 03:09 AM
His first half game plan in SB 43 was artistic and effective. Very good.

Agreed. He called a great first half, with the exception of a couple of calls. I hope he'll improve his use of personnel for specific plays.

Djfan
02-06-2009, 03:59 AM
JMO, but I hate how we used Moore while Willie was out, saw how productive he was, but yet failed to use him when Willie got healthy again... even when Willie unproductive.

Uh, uh! That belongs in the other thread, which is much longer.

AngryAsian
02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
JMO, but I hate how we used Moore while Willie was out, saw how productive he was, but yet failed to use him when Willie got healthy again... even when Willie unproductive.

Uh, uh! That belongs in the other thread, which is much longer.

Fair enough, bro. Counsel accepted and edited.

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Was there an image there of BA in cranial rectal inversion?

http://randomous.com/tools/floatbox/images/head_up_ass.jpg

RKSteel
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
1) Has plays designed for the TE.

SteelerNation1
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
BA loves Ben and Ben loves BA. I love that he included Ben in scaling down the playbook and redesigning it. I also like the fact that he started calling more quick pass plays (3 step drops) as the season went on.

papillon
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I posted in the negative thread, so, I need to give equal time to the positive thread.

Here we go...

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I posted in the negative thread, so, I need to give equal time to the positive thread.

Here we go...

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Pappy

How about the fact that on most teams, a defensive coordinator like LeBeau would be greatly cherished by players and fans alike. However, on the Steelers, when you compare the defensive coordinator to the offensive coordinator, LeBeau seems to be somewhat god-like by comparison. When we thought it wasn't possible to like LeBeau any more than we already do, Arians somehow makes LeBeau look even better. That's good, right?

pfelix73
02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey-

10 to 4.

negatives win.

Oviedo
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey-

10 to 4.

negatives win.

Except that the only two valid assessemnts are Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert. Everyone else is just wasting electrons.

Counting Tomlin and Colbert's votes it appears the positives win 11-10 since they are the only opinions that matter.

pfelix73
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
True. Very true.

We're just considering what would happen if it were up to this forum......

papillon
02-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Here we go...

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Ahhhh....

Pappy

How about the fact that on most teams, a defensive coordinator like LeBeau would be greatly cherished by players and fans alike. However, on the Steelers, when you compare the defensive coordinator to the offensive coordinator, LeBeau seems to be somewhat god-like by comparison. When we thought it wasn't possible to like LeBeau any more than we already do, Arians somehow makes LeBeau look even better. That's good, right?

Excellent work RB, I knew if someone really put their mind to it they could come up with a positive.

Pappy

feltdizz
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
We had 3 new players on the OL.. 2 were damn near rookies as far as playing time is concerned.

FWP missed 4 games and Mend missed the whole season....

Ben was hurt for about 5 to 6 games and when replaced in the Redskins game this O had pep and marched down the field....

the red zone O needs work but we also had the hardest schedule ever.... and won 12 games and a SB. I guess we were supposed to blow teams out every game.

I would much rather have Arians and a SB ring then have the Pats* OC and 18 wins and be exposed in a SB loss. Who cares about domination if you can't win the big one....

It's no different then a Steeler fan wanting Peyton over Ben because his numbers are so great in the regular season...

I now know why Bradshaw took so long to come back to the Burgh....

Iron Shiek
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
No dizz...it was because of this:

http://991.com/newGallery/Terry-Bradshaw-Im-So-Lobesome-I-328737.jpg

Dangit! I replied to this thread so I guess now I'm stuck having to say something good about Arians.

Okay, okay, I will concede he didn't have all the "pieces" he expected or needed to have which could've hurt in a big way. I've mentioned I will quit asking for him to be let go. That is positive...no?

feltdizz
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
:wft

NorthCoast
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Got rid of the 'turtle' and implemented the 'squirtle'...you know, FWP squirts between the tackles for 1 yd followed by FWP squirts between the tackles for -1 yd.

Showed us that it is possible to run 3 TE sets without having more than one TE that can block. (notice I did not say 'successfully run'.)

Is responsible for the most threads on Steelers message boards aside from the Superbowl.

Has skillfullly avoided receiving any serious consideration for a head coaching position elsewhere....(some might think that is a negative.)

Has helped us avoid the confusion of using such adjectives as 'innovative' and 'masterful' when describing our offensive gameplans.

Has demonstrated exceptional ability to boil an NFL playbook down to a 5 page max, thereby allowing players to focus on 'execution' to make the plays successful rather than voluminous confusing plays, unlike our D coordinator.

AngryAsian
02-09-2009, 12:48 AM
No dizz...it was because of this:

http://991.com/newGallery/Terry-Bradshaw-Im-So-Lobesome-I-328737.jpg

Dangit! I replied to this thread so I guess now I'm stuck having to say something good about Arians.

Okay, okay, I will concede he didn't have all the "pieces" he expected or needed to have which could've hurt in a big way. I've mentioned I will quit asking for him to be let go. That is positive...no?

I too have seen the futility in this... so all I'll post are things that possibly could help with the lineup we do have. Today's creative idea:

Problem: Ineffective goal line running game (when this has been a Steeler staple for decades... can't believe we can't use the term "punishing teams with smash mouth football.")

Solution: Casey Hampton, FB