PDA

View Full Version : Why I think the Steelers won't endure the SB hangover.

WoodleyofTroy
02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
and will be right up there again for a chance at another title. I didn't feel this way after Super Bowl XL.

The Running game.

I think you'll see a repeat of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart next season, but in Black and Gold. Oh and they go by different names. Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall.

The Steelers return to a dominating control the clock, pick up the short yardage (yes goaline I'm talking to you too), finish the game Pittsburgh style running, will throw every team off guard. And that's what you need to put yourself back over the edge after winning it all.

Mendenhall doesn't go down against the Ravens, we could of had a preview of that this season. But I'll settle for a ring, and the surprise factor next year. :tt1

feltdizz
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Tomlin didn't touch the SB trophy for a reason.. he has a chip on his shoulder too...

When the QB and the Coach both have chips on their shoulders expect more SB's...

Ben said he loves that the 10 teams who passed him over haven't won a SB yet.

WoodleyofTroy
02-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Tomlin didn't touch the SB trophy for a reason.. he has a chip on his shoulder too...

When the QB and the Coach both have chips on their shoulders expect more SB's...

The Giants did.

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I think one of the reasons there will not be a hangover is that we will see bigger than normal roster turnover. Tomlin will not "grandfather" anyone onto the roster or into a starting position unless they are a performer. The competition for playing time will remain high.

The other reason is we have veterans like farrior, Aaron Smith, etc. who will set the example and will not slack off.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Lets not forget that we will have the "easiest" schedule in history...oh wait...schedules based on prior year records don't matter you say? When did that happen? :P

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
The answer to this one is easy...the over paid janitor won't let them have SB hangover.

Count on it.

pfelix73
02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Winning 2 SB's in 4 years will get the players, coaches, fans thinking repeat and dynasty now. 3 in 5 years sounds pretty good.

We're talented, got most of the team back and not to mention our top 2 drafted players hardly played this year. They should be ready to go and ready to improve in 2009.

Go Steelers!

feltdizz
02-05-2009, 05:21 PM

The Giants did.

I thought the same thing... maybe he meant 2 SB's..

NW Steeler
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Winning 2 SB's in 4 years will get the players, coaches, fans thinking repeat and dynasty now. 3 in 5 years sounds pretty good.

We're talented, got most of the team back and not to mention our top 2 drafted players hardly played this year. They should be ready to go and ready to improve in 2009.

Go Steelers!

I totally agree. Mendenhall and Sweed should/will make significant contributions next year. I hope that we see some turnover in the oline, and thus an improvement in our running game.

ANPSTEEL
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
The answer to this one is easy...the over paid janitor won't let them have SB hangover.

Count on it.

dood, tomlin sucks!

Arians for HC!!!

:P

Djfan
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM

THAT is awesome! I seriously got chills when I read that!!

GO STEELERS!!!!

Mel Blount's G
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I hope you're right. Our rivalry with NE*** will be rekindled next year as Brady*** returns. And guaranteed, if we play NE*** next year, Belicheat*** will spend his (jack)offseason studying film (legal and otherwise) and gameplanning to beat us just so he*** can bask in his*** self-glory when the ESPN dipsh!ts and asshats blather about how "the genius"*** is back and put the young, black, inexperienced lucky-to-win-a-sb coach in his place. Anyone else feel it would've been even sweeter to have beat the pats*** in the playoffs enroute to snatching Lombardi #6? I almost want to give them*** their*** cheater*** tapes*** back so they*** have a shot of making it to the post season
http://www.securedsports.com/images/Cheatriots.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I hope you're right. Our rivalry with NE*** will be rekindled next year as Brady*** returns. And guaranteed, if we play NE*** next year, Belicheat*** will spend his (jack)offseason studying film (legal and otherwise) and gameplanning to beat us just so he*** can bask in his*** self-glory when the ESPN dipsh!ts and asshats blather about how "the genius"*** is back and put the young, black, inexperienced lucky-to-win-a-sb coach in his place. Anyone else feel it would've been even sweeter to have beat the pats*** in the playoffs enroute to snatching Lombardi #6? I almost want to give them*** their*** cheater*** tapes*** back so they*** have a shot of making it to the post season
http://www.securedsports.com/images/Cheatriots.jpg

It will be sweeter to beat them in the playoffs next year with Brady playing so there will be no whiny excuses.

Mick'sTeam
02-05-2009, 09:43 PM
and will be right up there again for a chance at another title. I didn't feel this way after Super Bowl XL.

The Running game.

I think you'll see a repeat of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart next season, but in Black and Gold. Oh and they go by different names. Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall.

The Steelers return to a dominating control the clock, pick up the short yardage (yes goaline I'm talking to you too), finish the game Pittsburgh style running, will throw every team off guard. And that's what you need to put yourself back over the edge after winning it all.

Mendenhall doesn't go down against the Ravens, we could of had a preview of that this season. But I'll settle for a ring, and the surprise factor next year. :tt1

In order for this to happen, what changes do you see being made to the offensive line? Our Oline's inability to block greatly contributed to our inability to run the ball. What do you see happening that will allow for the improvement you mentioned? Do go from pretty bad to dominating won't happen just because Mendenhall will be healthy.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 11:01 PM

The Running game.

In order for this to happen, what changes do you see being made to the offensive line? Our Oline's inability to block greatly contributed to our inability to run the ball. What do you see happening that will allow for the improvement you mentioned? Do go from pretty bad to dominating won't happen just because Mendenhall will be healthy.

Like others here have said before, you don't need a complete overhaul. These guys (especially O-Linemen) are creatures of habit from the way they talk. Keeping a consistent core group of guys is the best way to ensure success. Well so is talent, but you can see that as the year went on and the injuries died down giving way to stabilization of personnel on the line, they started improving. Now it wasn't the final answer but it helped out, and Ben was always pushing that fact (even though he defends the line when he gets killed also).

I'm sure they will try to hit the free agent market...but won't break the bank. Draft a few youngsters as future replacements, and develop from within. Continue the Stapleton project and see what Hills can do.

Mick'sTeam
02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
[quote=WoodleyofTroy]and will be right up there again for a chance at another title. I didn't feel this way after Super Bowl XL.

The Running game.

Like others here have said before, you don't need a complete overhaul. These guys (especially O-Linemen) are creatures of habit from the way they talk. Keeping a consistent core group of guys is the best way to ensure success. Well so is talent, but you can see that as the year went on and the injuries died down giving way to stabilization of personnel on the line, they started improving. Now it wasn't the final answer but it helped out, and Ben was always pushing that fact (even though he defends the line when he gets killed also).

I'm sure they will try to hit the free agent market...but won't break the bank. Draft a few youngsters as future replacements, and develop from within. Continue the Stapleton project and see what Hills can do.[/quote:1su0chyq]

With all do respect I still disagree. While the O-line did improve as the season went on, it was so bad to begin with it could only improve. Also, Ben's comments never tell the truth in regard to the line. Now matter how many times he gets sacked and hit, he always backs them up.

Despite the fact that the O-line improved, we still had trouble running the ball. Parker looked great against the Browns & Chargers, but their D's are known for stopping anyone. With the current line, I fear we will still have troubles running the ball, and I'm not convinced Ben won't have to endure another 50 sack season. If we don't invest in the O-line right now, the $100 Million investment the team made last year will be lost. Mendenhall coming back is not going to save the running game and change the mentality of the team. An improved O-line is what will determine that. While the current line has improved, I'd love to see us do something (draft or FA) to improve it even more.

AngryAsian
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Mark it down people, we will repeat next year. Tomlin will have this team just as hungry if not hungrier next year. I feel our depth will put us over the top. We had so many go to the IR list that it was amazing that we marched our way to a Championship. This year will be about competition in camp and increased depth. I'm hoping we get back to some traditional Steeler football clock management with the running game. We most definitely need to see some serious drafting to fill the need on both sides of the trenches. Aaron's Smith's heir apparent is in this year's draft and we need to find him. The leaders on this team (especially Deebo) will not have a down year. Expect the veteran's to fuel the engine of this year's upcoming SB run.

WoodleyofTroy
02-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Teams will be caught off guard when the Steelers bring back the running game, which will come from Mendenhall's style. When you have two backs in there second guessing defense's, I won't be too worried about the Offensive Line creating big holes. They won't need to. Carolina didn't open up massive holes. Those backs were that damn good. They weren't Denver just plugging in Joe Handoff.

Bottom line is, teams won't be expecting this, and they won't know what hit them. And we all know once our running game is going (I'm talking 5 yards, not 1, 1, 1, 20.), everything else follows (i.e. we won't have to wait until the 4th quarter to see our Offense at work).

ANPSTEEL
02-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Teams will be caught off guard when the Steelers bring back the running game, which will come from Mendenhall's style. When you have two backs in there second guessing defense's, I won't be too worried about the Offensive Line creating big holes. They won't need to. Carolina didn't open up massive holes. Those backs were that damn good. They weren't Denver just plugging in Joe Handoff.

Bottom line is, teams won't be expecting this, and they won't know what hit them. And we all know once our running game is going (I'm talking 5 yards, not 1, 1, 1, 20.), everything else follows (i.e. we won't have to wait until the 4th quarter to see our Offense at work).

I wouldn't go so far as to say other teams will be caught "off guard"- but I would agree that they will actually have to respect Play Action. At least more so than this year, with one trick pony, willie parker.

WoodleyofTroy
02-07-2009, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say other teams will be caught "off guard"- but I would agree that they will actually have to respect Play Action. At least more so than this year, with one trick pony, willie parker.

Our Offense was ranked in the 20's all year. What happens when the Steelers start running the ball at a consistent pace? Teams will expect this? Not really. It's like the 2007 Jacksonville Jaguars. That team came out and put up a 12-4 record due to their running game, basically coming out of nowhere (much like Carolina). Yet this year their running game was similar to Pittsburgh. Back down to earth. This is the change I'm talking about that will put us over the edge.

They'll be caught off guard in how well we run it. Controlling the clock again. Not talking about attempts.

ANPSTEEL
02-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Our Offense was ranked in the 20's all year. What happens when the Steelers start running the ball at a consistent pace? Teams will expect this? Not really. It's like the 2007 Jacksonville Jaguars. That team came out and put up a 12-4 record due to their running game, basically coming out of nowhere (much like Carolina). Yet this year their running game was similar to Pittsburgh. Back down to earth. This is the change I'm talking about that will put us over the edge.

i getchya-

either way- w/ some new, and hopefully improved, blood on the oLine- and the addition of a healthy Mendenhall- and possibly a Sweed as he was in college... this offense could be incredible. Crap, maybe even Denis Dixon will see the field next year in some substitution packages. imagine that!

I do agree with you- that the teams "hangover" should be relatively limited- given all of the likely turnover on the roster. My one concern here is Holmes seems to be getting awfully proud of himself.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
My one concern here is Holmes seems to be getting awfully proud of himself.

If I played in 4 career playoff games and scored a TD in each of them, I would be proud of myself too. Remember, we are only one week removed from the Super Bowl, so the players are still basking in the glow at this point. Let them enjoy this moment. The Pro Bowl hasn't even been played yet. Holmes will want to prove that he is indeed an elite talent that might be deserving of a Pro Bowl himself next year. He'll be motivated.