PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Bodden to be released!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
A Lion cast off we might actually want??? Would he come cheaper than McFadden??? Is he better than McFadden??? Your thoughts?

SidSmythe
02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Willie Gay was as good as McFadden IMO

Our front 7 made both good CBs

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
There have been numerous Lion castoffs that have served us well.

Hartings, Batch, Iwuoma, Kreiwaldt, McHugh, etc.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Bodden sucked I thought? A stains and Lions castoff...fits the Colbert mold I guess....

The Lions have to release him...he has a ridiculous contract...

I like Gay...not just because of his play, but his performance at the parade was simply outstanding. :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Willie Gay was as good as McFadden IMO

Our front 7 made both good CBs
Gay played well...I agree!!! But we all know you need at least 3 starting caliber CBs in this league. I think Townsend is starting to back out of that category with his age. It would be nice to sign Bryant at vet min for one year for insurance going into the draft. I think McFadden will cost more than Bodden because of Bodden's average year last year. If they could get Bodden cheaper than Taylor's contract I think the Steelers could then focus on the OL/DL in the 1st three rounds. If they loose McFadden and don't sign a FA starter at CB...I think they have to pick a CB early. They Steelers haven't been all that great at evaluating 1st & 2nd round talent at the CB position as of late!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
There have been numerous Lion castoffs that have served us well.

Hartings, Batch, Iwuoma, Kreiwaldt, McHugh, etc.

Definately!!! But most of us only wanted Hartings at the signing...We questioned the others at the signing! However, after their first year with the Steelers...I don't think anyone complained!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Bodden sucked I thought? A stains and Lions castoff...fits the Colbert mold I guess....

The Lions have to release him...he has a ridiculous contract...

I like Gay...not just because of his play, but his performance at the parade was simply outstanding. :D

Bodden didn't live up to the hype this year in Detriot. Now he has a big cap number and the Lions are clearing space. He had some really good seasons in Cleveland. He was a thorn in our side. Gay has a future and might turn into a solid starter. Like I said, 3 starting CBs is a must. Townsend has been the 3rd and Gay showed he could be even the 4th. McFadden will probably leave and Townsend isn't getting younger!

phillyesq
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Here is what PFT had to say about Bodden:

BODDEN OUT IN DETROIT
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009, 9:40 p.m.

Cornerback Leigh Bodden, who came to Detroit as part of the trade that sent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to Cleveland, will not return to the Lions in 2009, according to the Detroit News.

Agent Alvin Keels told the News that the team has informed Bodden that he won’t be back.

Last year, the Lions signed Bodden to a new deal, which included an $8.6 million bonus due in March. To avoid paying the money, the Lions will have to dump Bodden.

“I spoke to [G.M.] Martin [Mayhew] a couple days ago and they decided they’re not going to exercise the option,” Keels said. “I don’t understand exactly what they’re doing, but I guess it’ll be better for us, anyway, because he’ll be an unrestricted free agent now. Martin’s reason was, though they like Leigh, the amount of money they’d be paying him next year — they could use that elsewhere in free agency. So we’ll see what happens.”

There’s a chance that Bodden could re-sign with the Lions as a free agent, but Keels doesn’t see that as a likely outcome.

“I would probably say so,” Keels said. “I would never say never. But I would say it’s unlikely that he would end up back in Detroit.”

Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com pins the blame for the Bodden failure on the team — and specifically on former head coach Rod Marinelli and former defensive coordinator Joe Barry.

“Bodden came into Detroit with a lot of promise and he was treated like a second-class citizen every step of the way and his performance reflected it,” Kowalski writes.

It’ll be interesting to see where Bodden lands. We’ve got a feeling that more than a few people in Cleveland would love to see Leigh wearing an orange helmet again.

He was awful in Detroit, but that could well be a product of being in Detroit. I'm not sure that I'd want him in Pittsburgh, but I'd also rather see him end up somewhere other than Cleveland.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think the combination of Taylor & Bodden would be a downgrade from our current position. I would rather have McFadden but I think he is looking for the payday now. Bodden's stock might have dropped with his perfomance last year in Detriot. Might be a better financial fit for the Steelers that could have a huge upside!

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Didn't Bodden go to Duquesne as well? The combination of connections to both Pittsburgh and Detroit might make it too much for Colbert to resist!!!

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Bodden was on Sirius this morning, and Riggins brought up Washington. Bodden really got excited about that prospect being that he is from the area. They have guys demanding trades and getting old and whatnot, and Snyder's money will be hard to resist.

If we are competing with Washington, it ain't happening. And a caller even suggested that with BMac maybe leaving, we should go after Bodden. But like many of us, the hosts said any money should be funneled to fixing the OL.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Didn't Bodden go to Duquesne as well? The combination of connections to both Pittsburgh and Detroit might make it too much for Colbert to resist!!!

He is a Duquesne product. I think he is from Maryland.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/leighbodden/ ... =BOD194145 (http://www.nfl.com/players/leighbodden/profile?id=BOD194145)

Why all the thinking when the info is easily found? :P

He's from Hyattsville, which is about 7 miles from DC.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 01:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/leighbodden/profile?id=BOD194145

But he did go to school in Pittsburgh, though.

The Redskins are one of 3 teams that are over the cap right now (they are estimated to be about $3 mil over, while we are estimated to be about $19 mil under...our Super Bowl opponents are anticipated to have about $41 million in cap space, by the way)

And didn't Washington just sign DeAngelo Hall when he was let go by the Raiders mid-season, when they already had Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Fred Smoot? I doubt that another FA corner is in their immediate plans.

WoodleyofTroy
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM

But he did go to school in Pittsburgh, though.

The Redskins are one of 3 teams that are over the cap right now (they are estimated to be about $3 mil over, while we are estimated to be about $19 mil under...our Super Bowl opponents are anticipated to have about $41 million in cap space, by the way)

And didn't Washington just sign DeAngelo Hall when he was let go by the Raiders mid-season, when they already had Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, and Fred Smoot? I doubt that another FA corner is in their immediate plans.

D Hall signed for 1 year, he's a free agent. And they're talking about letting Springs go as well.

As for Bodden, sign me up. He'd look great running free behind this front seven.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Bodden was on Sirius this morning, and Riggins brought up Washington. Bodden really got excited about that prospect being that he is from the area. They have guys demanding trades and getting old and whatnot, and Snyder's money will be hard to resist.

If we are competing with Washington, it ain't happening. And a caller even suggested that with BMac maybe leaving, we should go after Bodden. But like many of us, the hosts said any money should be funneled to fixing the OL.

I don't know if Washington would need another CB unless they find a way to move Springs. They have Springs, Hall, Rodgers, & Smoot now. If they can't get production out of them maybe they should look at the coaching!!! As far as the money being used for the OL it won't happen. They will not overpay for Gross. Starks is the best option there. The Steelers need to start getting chemistry in that OL. Plugging in new faces is the worst thing to do to an OL. It is bad enough that now Hartwig has to get comfortable with Simmons if he returns. There could be 3 new faces on the OL starting opening day. Anyway to eliminate one of those new faces should be a target. Sign Starks long term. He played well and is clearly suited for the LT position. Get him under the Transition number and lock him up. If Kemo wants to take a 2.5 mil contract sign him too. Any more he could hit FA. Colon needs to be locked up but he should move to G. I think the Steelers best option would be to sign Starks & Kemo. Draft Mack and have him compete with Simmons & Stapleton. Also draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd like Loadholt or Tupou. Mack could win the RG position and Simmons could be released. The future OL in 2010 could be Starks, Kemo, Mack, Colon, & (Loadholt/Tupou). This has Capizzi & Hills backing up the OT. They could sign Essex cheap and he could back-up the interior with Stapleton. The only option the Steelers will have if Starks walks is to hope Beatty falls to them at the end of Rd1. I don't think it will happen. That is why they need to get Starks signed. Britton might still be there but he is a RT. That could be an option if Starks is signed and now you have your "Bookends". Colon could move inside. I think the long-term OL solution is through the draft. Chemistry is a large part of OL success and drafting OL locks them up for 2 contracts. That is the history of the successful Steelers OLs and they need to go back to it. They missed on a few!!!

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM

I was just saying that people were posting "I think" this and "I think" that when the info is right there! :)

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
[quote="stlrz d":126jl35s]http://www.nfl.com/players/leighbodden/profile?id=BOD194145

I was just saying that people were posting "I think" this and "I think" that when the info is right there! :)[/quote:126jl35s]

Shame on us for thinking once in a while! :wink: