PDA

View Full Version : Most important our FA

steeler_george
02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
As far as I see these are our biggest FA. Now who do you think is more important, most likely to sign, most easily to replace, and how signing one would reflect the FA/draft. I believe non is a superstar, and can easily replaced, but they are known commodities to us and the team.

Starks?

I believe he is the most important to sign. Not that he is a key player, but more or less, how we have virtually no options, depth in our OL. Signing him gives us flexibility in the draft to upgrade, deepen a depleted OL . Possibly not go OL in round 1/2.

Macfaden?

He is very solid. Was getting high reviews from the fans/team before his injury. However, he was adequately replaced by Gay, really without missing a beat. Not saying Gay is better or equal to him. But if Macfaden is gone, we have no depth need to pick up a CB in the draft/FA.

Is it possible to get a "play maker" in round 1/2? Perhaps one that actually makes the interceptions and also flexible to play Kr/Pr?

Washington?

Actually to my surprise he did a splendid job as a #3. Shockingly he reduced his drops. He actually became a deep threat. I would love to have him back at the right price. (I can't believe that I do!) The question is Limas ready? Who will be our #3 or 4th WR or is Miller's presence enough to be option #3 or #4 WR. Is drafting another WR in the plans also for KR/PR?

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Starks is the most imprtnat because he will be the hardest to replace. We have no legitimate option at LT. Marvel is damaged goods. We have no one else on the roster who can play there. A free agent will cost much more than Starks probably will. We draft too low to get a rookie who could even hopefully step in. The only real unknown is Tony Hills. Maybe he has developed into something special but with no game expoerience I'm doubting it.

McFadden can be replaced with Gay and there will be other CBs available in the draft

Nate can be replaced by Sweed, a free agent or a draftee.

flippy
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Max doesn't seem to work hard enough for Tomlin. Gone.

McFadden seems a little bit of a me guy. Not a Tomlin type player. Gone.

Washington works hard, I bet he'll sign for a reasonable rate. He's got a chance to eventually replace Ward who's knees aren't getting younger. Sign him up.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
If Jordan Gross becomes available (i.e. is not re-signed or franchised by Carolina before the free agent period begins), I would be willing to shell out BIG money to get a Pro Bowl LT in his prime instead of a guy who is merely adequate there, even though it is not our style to spend crazily in free agency (but franchise left tackles never hit the open market, so this would be a unique scenario). People have mentioned offering Max 5 years in the neighborhood of $25-$30 million. I would happily spend double that, 5 years in the neighborhood of $50-$60 million to have an elite talent protecting the blind side of the guy earning over $100 million. Beginning the process of transforming our team's major weakness along the o-line at its most important and hard-to-find position of LT is worth that type of investment. Justin Hartwig can vouch for what kind of a guy Gross is (to make sure that he will mesh with the type of guys we have here to maintain our excellent chemistry on the team), and can also help in recruiting him to come over here (bringing home the hardware this season certainly helps our cause when attempting to convince him to sign here).

Regarding BMac and Nate, they may not be able to afford both. If they re-sign BMac and not Nate, they can draft a WR with return skills with one of their top 4 picks. If they re-sign Nate and not BMac, they can draft a CB with return skills with one of their top 4 picks. Regardless, if we get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd for Faneca, those first 4 picks should include 2 OL, 1 DL, and a CB or WR with return skills as I just mentioned (in whatever order it happens to play out).

SidSmythe
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Sign MAX, we can't afford to lose another O-Lineman. Just don't give him a huge signing bonus so he's CUT Friendly. As far as I'm concerned he got half of his signing bonus this past season.

5 yr. $30 million ($8 mill bonus)

McFadden = thanks for your effort. have fun trying to be a superbowl champion elsewhere. Just make sure your defense can get pressure.

Washington = you're a 4th WR w/ great deep speed. You'd make an awesome #1 if no one covered you. Goodbye.

Lebsteel
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
If Jordan Gross becomes available (i.e. is not re-signed or franchised by Carolina before the free agent period begins), I would be willing to shell out BIG money to get a Pro Bowl LT in his prime instead of a guy who is merely adequate there, even though it is not our style to spend crazily in free agency (but franchise left tackles never hit the open market, so this would be a unique scenario). People have mentioned offering Max 5 years in the neighborhood of $25-$30 million. I would happily spend double that, 5 years in the neighborhood of $50-$60 million to have an elite talent protecting the blind side of the guy earning over $100 million. Beginning the process of transforming our team's major weakness along the o-line at its most important and hard-to-find position of LT is worth that type of investment. Justin Hartwig can vouch for what kind of a guy Gross is (to make sure that he will mesh with the type of guys we have here to maintain our excellent chemistry on the team), and can also help in recruiting him to come over here (bringing home the hardware this season certainly helps our cause when attempting to convince him to sign here).

Regarding BMac and Nate, they may not be able to afford both. If they re-sign BMac and not Nate, they can draft a WR with return skills with one of their top 4 picks. If they re-sign Nate and not BMac, they can draft a CB with return skills with one of their top 4 picks. Regardless, if we get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd for Faneca, those first 4 picks should include 2 OL, 1 DL, and a CB or WR with return skills as I just mentioned (in whatever order it happens to play out).

Totally agree, Ruthless! If we had to give up signing McFadden and Washington due to signing Gross, it would be worth it. I think he is that good. I'd still draft either Mack or Robinson in Rd. 1 if available. Having a left side of Gross and Mack/Robinson would immediately improve our running game as well as pass protection. :tt1 :tt1

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
We will NOT sign Jordan Gross no matter who else we do or don't sign. He is about to become the highest paid lineman in the NFL and it won't be with us.

We need to seriously look at the other options.

phillyesq
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd love to see the Steelers sign Gross. Although the Steelers rarely spend big in FA, when they do, it is often on a lineman. Wayne Gandy and Hartings both come to mind. I'm not sure about Will Wollford, but he might have been a bigger money FA as well. With all that said, I'd really doubt that they go after Gross.

If Gross isn't an option, then I think that the Steelers have to sign Starks. That really worries me, because he seems like the type who could easily get complacent with a big money deal. But the line needs a lot of improvement, and down the stretch, he was probably one of our more competent offensive lineman.

As for McFadden, I'd like for the Steelers to retain him, and I'm even ok with them overpaying a bit. Here is why. Every team needs 3 good corners. With Deshea getting up there in age, McFadden leaving would suddenly make CB a need position in the draft. IMO, the Steelers need to use the draft this year to improve the offensive line and add depth on the defensive line. They probably need at least one interior offensive lineman, one OT, and at least one defensive lineman. Adding CB to the list of needs makes it difficult to address all of the issues on the lines.

As for Nate, I'm fine either way. If he takes reasonable money and stays, fine. The Steelers get an inconsistent home run threat. If he leaves, I won't be heart broken. I think the Steelers need to add a possession WR/return guy at some point in the draft, and that guy could replace Nate.

Northern_Blitz
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I wonder if we'll even be able to sign Starks.

How many other LTs on the market have 2 SB rings? He might be in demand.

Mel Blount's G
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
We will NOT sign Jordan Gross no matter who else we do or don't sign. He is about to become the highest paid lineman in the NFL and it won't be with us.

We need to seriously look at the other options.
Agreed. Not a chance.

I think we go after starks. And we'll most likely overpay him. After all we gave him 6-7 mil this year and he didn't even start a handful of games