PDA

View Full Version : The block in the back no one is talking about

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
So I've seen people all over the place complaining that Woodley supposedly blocked Hightower in the back on the Harrison return (he didn't...his hand was on Hightower's shoulder), yet no one is talking about the REAL block in the back.

I was watching ESPN tonight...the name of the show escapes me, Trey Wingo is the host...and they were talking about Larry Fitzgerald and how he hustles to contribute even when he doesn't have the ball.

So the play they show to illustrate this is the long catch and run by Anquan Boldin. Fitz comes from the other side of the field to try and help...but instead blocks BMac from behind.

A few plays later KW throws the TD pass to the TE.

Seems like things may have gone a bit differently had they called that, eh?

So what I say is if Harrison's TD shouldn't have counted then the one to Patrick shouldn't have either.

Zigs
02-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah I saw that too D on NFL Live. Freakin Schlereth is a walking dildo. He picked the Card-anals and then licked Fitz's nutz for a block that was clearly in the back.

What a douche!

Discipline of Steel
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
So 2 of the 3 Card TDs were questionable. But in the end, they were awarded and incorporated into the official final score like our 'questionable TDs'. Steelers won. All other talk of potential 'correct' outcomes is superfluous.

SidSmythe
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I also saw that when watching the highlights

Fitz would have had a good block but at the last second BMac starts to lunge at Boldin and Fitz hits him in the back.

~ it was a block in the back

BMac actually has his arms around him and his momentum would take Boldin out at the 5 yard line. Instead Boldin is taken down by Clark at the 1. 4 yards is a lot inside the 10 yard line.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e93513

Start paying attention at the 3:33 mark.

snarky
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I saw that also. Mark Schlareth gave props to Fitz for his hustle and 'great block' and then thirty seconds later was complaining that Woodley's block was a penalty.

There are actually two (at least) blocks in the back by Fitz during the game.

The thing is, on a runback like that. You can't really depend on the refs. Most of them are out of position once that crap starts and they are not fast enough to get back with the play. Funny that a lot of the same folks who are compaining about Woodley's block have said nothing about the block in the back during Kelly Holcomb's return in XL.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I saw that also. Mark Schlareth gave props to Fitz for his hustle and 'great block' and then thirty seconds later was complaining that Woodley's block was a penalty.

There are actually two (at least) blocks in the back by Fitz during the game.

The thing is, on a runback like that. You can't really depend on the refs. Most of them are out of position once that crap starts and they are not fast enough to get back with the play. Funny that a lot of the same folks who are compaining about Woodley's block have said nothing about the block in the back during Kelly Holcomb's return in XL.

Kelly Holcomb was the QB for the Browns (back when Arians was their OC). He threw for over 400 yards in that playoff game that we were losing 24-7 in the 3rd quarter but came back to win on Fuamatu-Ma'Afala's TD run at the end, 36-33. Kelly Herndon was the guy who picked off Ben in Super Bowl XL. That play was the one time I was most impressed with Max Starks. The behemoth actually kept up with a cornerback for 70 yards (most lineman give a half-hearted effort for maybe 20 yards before giving up when they realize they have no real chance of catching up to a guy half their size in a footrace down the sideline) before Randle El finally was able to bring him down.

snarky
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
good point. LOL

I can't be bothered to keep the names of former browns and former seahawks straight.

In fact, I think I should get bonus points for confusing them.

Steelhere10
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
ok guys give credit where credit is due, Wingo went on to say that if that was a block in the back that Fitz should have been penalized for running 20 yds down the sideline to make the tackle.