PDA

View Full Version : Legursky signs 2-year deal with Steelers

fordfixer
02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Legursky signs 2-year deal with Steelers

February 04, 2009 @ 08:12 PM

ANTHONY HANSHEW

Herald-Dispatch.com

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... h-Steelers (http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x2134008266/Legursky-signs-2-year-deal-with-Steelers)

HUNTINGTON - Not bad, earning a promotion following a Super Bowl championship celebration.

Following a week’s preparation in Tampa, Doug Legursky the practice squad member looked on while his Pittsburgh Steelers dramatically rallied past Arizona for the Super Bowl XLIII trophy. Three days later, the former Marshall University football standout was rewarded with a two-year contract, cementing active roster status.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but Legursky obviously was more than content Wednesday evening.

“It’s definitely a good feeling,” the 6-foot-1, 323-pound offensive lineman said. “This is a good situation. We’ve got a lot of guys up for free agency, but hopefully we’ll keep most of them.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Legursky’s former Mid-American Conference rival, connected with Santonio Holmes, a former opponent at Ohio State, for the winning touchdown, providing a signature Super Bowl moment. The thrilling victory capped Legursky’s rookie season featuring two early releases before earning a secure practice squad spot.

“It was an awesome, awesome experience,” said Legursky, a four-year Thundering Herd starter from 2003-07. “We had a great week of preparation. There was a lot of commitment and focus but we wanted to have a good time as well as prepare for the game.

And then to have the great game that it was with the atmosphere and great plays all over the place. It was fun to watch everyone’s hard work come together to win a Super Bowl.”

Following the equivalent of a college redshirt season in the pros, Legursky now turns attention to producing on game days. He’s lined up at center and guard and likely will serve dual duties again this season. Bottom line, the Beckley native is more than ready for NFL playing time.

“I’m just going to go in with the same mindset to get better and show that I’m capable of being a good player in any way they need me,” Legursky said. “This season was kind of tough. I got a job yes, but I want to contribute as well as I can.

“I’m definitely so glad that we got that victory. It’s a great feeling and I hope to have that feeling as a player some day.”

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Can you say "Super Bowl #7" ---Cause it is all but locked up now!!!

Chadman
02-05-2009, 02:16 AM
You might joke now, but Legursky was the 5th rated OC in college last season.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/34/349898.jpg

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded varying degrees of All-Conference honors since his freshman campaign.

POSITIVES: Explosive blocker who plays with a nasty attitude. Quickly gets into blocks, stays with assignments, and plays with solid fundamentals. Holds the point, can slide laterally in space, and keeps his feet moving. Works well with teammates and effectively quarterbacks the offensive line.

NEGATIVES: Ineffective in motion. Stiff and struggles to adjust.

ANALYSIS: Legursky showed improvement as a senior and offers the size and mentality necessary to be used as a reserve at the next level.

He can't hurt- put it that way.

Pretty sure he was a wrestling champion of some kind.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Wow. Wish him luck. Maybe he has blossomed into a starter material guy and good backup so Kemo can walk.

MeetJoeGreene
02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
You might joke now, but Legursky was the 5th rated OC in college last season.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/34/349898.jpg

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded varying degrees of All-Conference honors since his freshman campaign.

POSITIVES: Explosive blocker who plays with a nasty attitude. Quickly gets into blocks, stays with assignments, and plays with solid fundamentals. Holds the point, can slide laterally in space, and keeps his feet moving. Works well with teammates and effectively quarterbacks the offensive line.

NEGATIVES: Ineffective in motion. Stiff and struggles to adjust.

ANALYSIS: Legursky showed improvement as a senior and offers the size and mentality necessary to be used as a reserve at the next level.

He can't hurt- put it that way.

Pretty sure he was a wrestling champion of some kind.

I thought he was a powerlifter or something like that. Which means he's kind of strong.

steelz09
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
common sense tells me that they think he has a very good future on this team. I mean, 3 days after the super bowl, they lock him up. I think that says something in itself.

Even better that he's a wrestler. There has been quite a few guys with wrestling backgrounds that have been successful in this league. An offensive lineman that comes to mind is Matt Light whom I believe was a NCAA wrestling national champ.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I thought he was a powerlifter or something like that. Which means he's kind of strong.

That is an excellent mock player evaluation. :P

Discipline of Steel
02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
So the first piece of the offensive line puzzle has already fallen into place. Who has he ultimately replaced? Simmons!? Maybe they plan that Kemo is going to walk??

flippy
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
common sense tells me that they think he has a very good future on this team. I mean, 3 days after the super bowl, they lock him up. I think that says something in itself.

Even better that he's a wrestler. There has been quite a few guys with wrestling backgrounds that have been successful in this league. An offensive lineman that comes to mind is Matt Light whom I believe was a NCAA wrestling national champ.

Haselrig was one of the best for a short stint.

phillyesq
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I really wouldn't read too much into this at all. At this point in year, teams lock up a lot of guys that were on the p.s. This means that he'll be in camp, likely to compete for a backup spot, but that's about it. He seems like he may have some potential, so hopefully he develops into a backup swing lineman at the interior positions.

MeetJoeGreene
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM

That line is going to stick with me forever...........

I will have to think of a new one for this year's round of mock drafts.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm sticking with the classic: This is an excellent mock draft. No need to redo that one.

By the way, can Legursky play center? :P

Why not Hines?

Any others??? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM

D@mn! I was looking forward to at least one person thinking that I had an excellent mock draft this year!

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM

D@mn! I was looking forward to at least one person thinking that I had an excellent mock draft this year!

Ahem...look up.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Good signing.

Doug Legursky, OC, Marshall, 6'3, 311lbs

He wasn't invited to the Combine, but it's hard to understand why. He was first-team All-Conference USA this past season, and he's the strongest, fastest center in the draft. He started 35 straight games at Marshall. At his pro day, he did 36 reps on the bench press and ran a 4.79 forty. He's set all kinds of team weight-room records. He is shooting up the draft boards: NFL Draft Scout had him rated as the 10th-best center in the draft a couple of months ago, but now they rate him as the fifth-best. He's been working hard to learn to long-snap, and apparently satisfied NFL onlookers at his pro day. Probably a fifth-round pick, but could be a bargain at that spot.

I see him playing G/C & freeing up a game day roster spot by also taking over long snapping duties.

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
As I recall, the only real knock on Legursky was that he had very short arms for an OL. Apparently that was enough of a concern to drop him out of the draft.

He has obviously shown he can do something.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
If I recall correctly, he was cut surprisingly early in training camp when a lot of us had high hopes for him as an UDFA who might compete for a spot on the 53 man roster. I think he might have only been brought back during the season (perhaps when Simmons was put on IR?)