PDA

View Full Version : Why Only OUR Calls Reviewed by ESPN?

Jooser
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Seriously, I turn on the ESPN in the middle of the day today and they're having a discussion with the head of NFL officiating. All questions were about four plays that went in our favor in the SB. It's like XL all over again. Now, all calls have been backed by the league and say they were all correct. However, I feel there were calls that went in AZ's favor that weren't discussed at all. Why does the hate permeate? :!:

Also, they said that since there was a flag against AZ on Harrison's TD for a personal foul - facemask, the half would've been extended by one play and we'd have it from the 1 foot line, had the play been overturned and not deemed a TD.

mshifko
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
i just don't watch ESPN...i watched it on monday, but now i don't care what they have to say...i'm too busy rewatching our super bowl victory

it'll always be like this, no matter what...people just hate the steelers

True Fan
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
it's hard to have a play reviewed if the coach doesn't take the flag out of his pocket. fitz's first td should have been challenged by tomlin. the ball hit the ground

msp26505
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
it's hard to have a play reviewed if the coach doesn't take the flag out of his pocket. fitz's first td should have been challenged by tomlin. the ball hit the ground

That's not really his point, I don't think. He's saying that only questionable calls favoring us were reviewed. The calls went both ways.

You should change your username BTW. :nono

BURGH86STEEL
02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Some people will luv us and some people will hate us. That is just how it goes. At least the league made an attempt to explain the calls. Calls went both team's way. I think most people realize that.

It really does not matter what other fans, players, ESPN, or anyone else thinks. Especially, if you are secure and confident about the win. Why even entertain the drama? They do it just to get people upset. They want you to read the non sense. I ignore that haters and say, "at the end of the day, the trophy is in Pittsburgh." That is all that really matters.

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM

That's not really his point, I don't think. He's saying that only questionable calls favoring us were reviewed. The calls went both ways.

Now we will see if he is a man of his word or not....

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 11:45 PM

I'm guessing "not".

Mel Blount's G
02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
The "holding" call on hartwig now and forever remains a questionable yet complete and utter game changing call to me...unless someone with the tape here tells me it was a total legit call. Think about it; we went from a first and 10 on our 20 (or thereabouts) to a -2 points and a punt giving them the ball. This was HUGE and it looked to me like the guy just got tripped up while trampling overtop hartwig

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
The "holding" call on hartwig now and forever remains a questionable yet complete and utter game changing call to me...unless someone with the tape here tells me it was a total legit call. Think about it; we went from a first and 10 on our 20 (or thereabouts) to a -2 points and a punt giving them the ball. This was HUGE and it looked to me like the guy just got tripped up while trampling overtop hartwig

I looked closely at that one tonight because I wanted to see why he was flagged. He never grabbed anything but he got his arms outside of his frame, and his right arm even ends up around the defenders back. Sucks.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 12:24 AM

We could compromise with something like:

"tomlinsucksatdecidingwhentothrowthechallengeflagbu tisawesomeatprettymucheverythingelseagreatcoachnee dstodo"

True Fan
02-05-2009, 06:13 AM

Now we will see if he is a man of his word or not...................i dont think you want everyone to 'man up' right

proudpittsburgher
02-05-2009, 08:02 AM

He hasn't changed it yet, so he's showing his true colors. effin idiot. :roll:

AngryAsian
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM

Now we will see if he is a man of his word or not...................i dont think you want everyone to 'man up' right

Can someone please find the exact post where this "name change" deal was mentioned. I'd like to see the proof. The funny thing about this particular case, is that why should you bother to post? The premise of posting is that so your argument/opinion can be shared and heard, which will not happen. All people are going to see when you post is someone who has no football knowledge... and even more noticeable is someone devoid of integrity... one of the attributes that separates this Steelers from the rest of the league.

Northern_Blitz
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
It's not hate. There's no point to reviewing bad calls against the us. We won!

If we would have lost, they would be talking about all the bad calls the other way. Controversy sells.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Can someone please find the exact post where this "name change" deal was mentioned. I'd like to see the proof. The funny thing about this particular case, is that why should you bother to post? The premise of posting is that so your argument/opinion can be shared and heard, which will not happen. All people are going to see when you post is someone who has no football knowledge... and even more noticeable is someone devoid of integrity... one of the attributes that separates this Steelers from the rest of the league.

I don't know where to find it, but I do know that several posters here have quoted it many times.

Imo, dude needs to change his name on the board or move on down the road.

SidSmythe
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I like the NFL Network b/c they hit everything from all angles. It's all football, all the time. You don't have to sift thru lesser sports like the NBA.

You might get someone down on the Steelers, but you will get someone high on them too.

As for officiating . . they have Mike Pereira on weekly to sort thru the fan bias.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I like the NFL Network b/c they hit everything from all angles. It's all football, all the time. You don't have to sift thru lesser sports like the NBA.

You might get someone down on the Steelers, but you will get someone high on them too.

As for officiating . . they have Mike Pereira on weekly to sort thru the fan bias.

Only problem with that is fans see things the way they want to see them no matter what.

On the Rats board it was pointed out what Pereira said about the game. It was dismissed as him covering for his "boys" and nothing more. :roll:

I've seen it on other forums as well.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
typically, you show the questionable calls that went against the losing team...

for example, they show brady and the tuck rule... not something that went against them.

I, for one, am glad we're the ones being hated on... as opposed to being the ones doing the hating.

If they called Warner's last gasp an incomplete pass and tack on 15 yards and give them another play and they score... they'd be showing that play over and over...

our guys lost their cool in teh 4th quarter... and had some stupid penalties that could easily have cost the team the game.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
On ESPN now they keep talking about how Pereira admitted that Holmes should have received a flag for his celebration...but they conveniently leave out the part about "if we had seen it we would have called it". :roll:

True Fan
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Actually you are quite wrong. The vast majority of posters here have little to no football knowledge(somer more than me some less) yet they have a cute lil' steeler name, thus makming them 'true' fans or insightful ones. I have challenged numerous 'true' fans regarding backing up their words and have yet to see one 'man up'. Where's the integrity? Like the integrity of the 'true' fans that lobby to get me banned just because of my screen name, yet are allowed to continue to break the conduct code by name calling (effin idiot). That integrity? My posts could contain the exact same content that they do now and would be viewed much differently if they had a neato name attached. That is your typical steeler fan that visits most sites, including this one.

stlrz d
02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
:Blah :Blah :Blah

Mel Blount's G
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
On ESPN now they keep talking about how Pereira admitted that Holmes should have received a flag for his celebration...but they conveniently leave out the part about "if we had seen it we would have called it". :roll:
Yup. That's exactly what I heard Pereira say. He said the ref had already turned his back as that Lebron thing was well after the play and had he seen it, he would have called it.

ESPN is supposed to promote the game and the NFL but their opinions rarely seem to do much that does that. And none of their mouthpieces are ever held accountable for their bogus remarks or remarkably failed predictions/picks. Imagine if we were that wrong that often at our jobs :HeadBanger

Chachi
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mgo7zp.jpg

stlrz d
02-06-2009, 01:34 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mgo7zp.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
02-07-2009, 06:49 PM
BTW, I just saw Fitz's fade in slowmo on Inside the NFL... it was NOT a TD...

First, he David Tyree'd it... then, it came into his right hand, and the back of his left hand... that's where it was as it hit the ground.

He never actually had control...

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2009, 09:29 PM
BTW, I just saw Fitz's fade in slowmo on Inside the NFL... it was NOT a TD...

First, he David Tyree'd it... then, it came into his right hand, and the back of his left hand... that's where it was as it hit the ground.

He never actually had control...

yeah.

from the side camera angle you can see the track the ball takes.... wonder why they never showed this on NBC

steelz09
02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Actually you are quite wrong. The vast majority of posters here have little to no football knowledge(somer more than me some less) yet they have a cute lil' steeler name, thus makming them 'true' fans or insightful ones. I have challenged numerous 'true' fans regarding backing up their words and have yet to see one 'man up'. Where's the integrity? Like the integrity of the 'true' fans that lobby to get me banned just because of my screen name, yet are allowed to continue to break the conduct code by name calling (effin idiot). That integrity? My posts could contain the exact same content that they do now and would be viewed much differently if they had a neato name attached. That is your typical steeler fan that visits most sites, including this one.

I don't care about the name, your entitled to have whatever name you want. But I find it unnecessary to say Steelers fans don't have football knowledge. Objectively speaking, Steelers fans are the most knowledgable from a football perspective than any other fans I've ever met. Although this is just my opinion. Oh, and for the record, if you think this site sucks or whatever your trying to say with that last comment, your more than welcome to try some place else. Like I said, we like different opinions, that's what makes the discussion board interesting but outright criticizing the site in the Steelers forum is off topic. If you have comments, please use the "Comments" forum.

Regards,

-J

AngryAsian
02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Talk about backing up your words. Let me refresh your very short memory. Here's a little conversation you and Costanza had a few weeks back. Thank you for the entertainment you provide. :lol: :lol: :lol: You are a wealth of football knowledge and a source of integrity. :lol: :lol: :lol: "Man up? You haven't a clue. Truly hilarious.

You don't have to leave, but remember years back when we said that if Tomlin wins the AFC Championship you'll change you're handle. Still game? If he wins you can change it to Tomlinrocks....does that work?

i believ i said if he won th superbowl, i would be a man of my word, (unlike others lurking around here)

Chachi
02-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Talk about backing up your words. Let me refresh your very short memory. Here's a little conversation you and Costanza had a few weeks back. Thank you for the entertainment you provide. :lol: :lol: :lol: You are a wealth of football knowledge and a source of integrity. :lol: :lol: :lol: "Man up? You haven't a clue. Truly hilarious.

You don't have to leave, but remember years back when we said that if Tomlin wins the AFC Championship you'll change you're handle. Still game? If he wins you can change it to Tomlinrocks....does that work?

i believ i said if he won th superbowl, i would be a man of my word, (unlike others lurking around here)

The thread and comment...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3715&p=46092&hilit=superbowl#p46092 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3715&p=46092&hilit=superbowl#p46092)

Is he a "man of his word" or no better than the rest of us lurkers?

Either way he is screwed! :lol:

True Fan
02-08-2009, 12:52 AM

change my name to TRUE FAN and then show your integrity and ban proudpittsburgher for once again viloating the coduct code by calling me a effin' idiot

Starlifter
02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
i don't believe merely stating a fact is a reason to get banned.........

AngryAsian
02-08-2009, 01:47 AM

change my name to TRUE FAN and then show your integrity and ban proudpittsburgher for once again viloating the coduct code by calling me a effin' idiot

We're not going back and forth on this issue. The Code of Conduct is very explicit. No one get's banned for name calling. Someone issues a complaint, we send out warnings, if warned action persists then we suspend board priviledges for a month and when a poster returns still in need to continue their adverse behavior then they get banned. In the interim, the "hot" thread is locked so no further fighting arises. We're all adults here and the moderators have been tolerant.

Tomlinsucks, looking back to retrieve your post, there were several instances where you were calling other posters "lemmings" and other not so "friendly" terms, but we issued you no warnings for those infractions. As for proudpittsburgher, the moderatorship doesn't owe you any explaination or detailed account on who we send warnings to and if you don't like how things are handled on this site, then maybe your tenure with us is coming to a close. Stay, go, change your name, don't change your name... it doesn't really matter. But please stop whining about your treatment from other posters when you choose to be Mr. Contraversial. That's like me choosing a name like "WHITEPEOPLESUCK" or "BLACKPEOPLEHATEME" or "WOMENDON'TKNOWFOOTBALL" and then expect to fly under the radar. Take your drama elsewhere, we're too busy basking in the light of "SIX WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!" Good day and a most humble apology extended to Jooser for this hijacked thread... you deserve better, Sir.

Jooser
02-08-2009, 10:32 AM

We're not going back and forth on this issue. The Code of Conduct is very explicit. No one get's banned for name calling. Someone issues a complaint, we send out warnings, if warned action persists then we suspend board priviledges for a month and when a poster returns still in need to continue their adverse behavior then they get banned. In the interim, the "hot" thread is locked so no further fighting arises. We're all adults here and the moderators have been tolerant.

Tomlinsucks, looking back to retrieve your post, there were several instances where you were calling other posters "lemmings" and other not so "friendly" terms, but we issued you no warnings for those infractions. As for proudpittsburgher, the moderatorship doesn't owe you any explaination or detailed account on who we send warnings to and if you don't like how things are handled on this site, then maybe your tenure with us is coming to a close. Stay, go, change your name, don't change your name... it doesn't really matter. But please stop whining about your treatment from other posters when you choose to be Mr. Contraversial. That's like me choosing a name like "WHITEPEOPLESUCK" or "BLACKPEOPLEHATEME" or "WOMENDON'TKNOWFOOTBALL" and then expect to fly under the radar. Take your drama elsewhere, we're too busy basking in the light of "SIX WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!" Good day and a most humble apology extended to Jooser for this hijacked thread... you deserve better, Sir.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/oh_snap.jpg http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/hit.gif

Some folks just relish attention, no matter what form it takes.

True Fan
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM

i would guess that he had his priveleges suspended then....no?

proudpittsburgher
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM

May I ask why you are so worried about me making one comment, that may or may not be true? Hows' 'botu this, I'll take it back if it makes you feel better. Now, in return for me taking it back, you change your screen name. Man up, as you say, but haven't shown. There is a big difference between our 'cute' screen names, and you saying the coach of the Steelers sucks after he won the super bowl in his second season. You do that on other message boards, and people take offense, why is it any different here? I realize you get thrills out of just causing controversy on message boards. Good for you. keep going if you will. It makes us no never mind. But don't expect to be treated as an equal when you clearly aren't a stand-up poster based on your lieing about changing your username if the Steelers won the super bowl.

MeetJoeGreene
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Doesn't Matter.

You are either a person of your word or you aren't. It matters not if others are or aren't.

What you are is what you are.

So... what are you?

Scarletfire1970
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
That is the way it looked to me too. Nobody talks about it because the guy fell down and everyone assumed it was Hartwig tackling him

Djfan
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
That is the way it looked to me too. Nobody talks about it because the guy fell down and everyone assumed it was Hartwig tackling him

I have to disagree. Even that tool Deion Sanders agreed that it was not a penalty, but a guy getting stampeded. That guy drives me crazy (way to stuck on how cool he is) but he stuck up for the Steelers here.

proudpittsburgher
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM

I have to disagree. Even that tool Deion Sanders agreed that it was not a penalty, but a guy getting stampeded. That guy drives me crazy (way to stuck on how cool he is) but he stuck up for the Steelers here.

Unfortunately, it looked like a hold to the referee though. All he saw was Hartwig going down to his back while still engaged in the play, his hands on the defender, and said defender falling on to him. It LOOKS like a hold, but likely wasn't. If nothing else, it ends any conspiracy talk about this super bowl and the penalty calls, because some big ones went against us too.

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Last night when they were showing Harrison's INT return I noticed yet another non call.

Next time you see it watch Ike (24) get tackled from behind by Pope (82). And I mean literally tackled. Ike is running down field, slightly trailing the play. Pope wraps him up (from behind) and tackles him.

Ike is certainly fast enough to pass Harrison and throw a block...but he didn't get the chance.

Not that I'm bitchin' about it...just sayin' it's more to throw at the "refs gave the Steelers the game" yutzes.

Jooser
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
These are all great examples guys. You're hitting the nail on the head. My whole point in this thread was to examine all the calls that didn't go our way and in some sense or other actually helped the Cards. Well done. The Hartwig call I will never agree with, he was being stampeded and didn't have control of his upper body to make a conscious decision to hold. Great example of a bad call that could have cost us even more than it did - like the game. Nice to see Deion man up on that one occasion.

-Jooser

Jooser
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Last night when they were showing Harrison's INT return I noticed yet another non call.

Next time you see it watch Ike (24) get tackled from behind by Pope (82). And I mean literally tackled. Ike is running down field, slightly trailing the play. Pope wraps him up (from behind) and tackles him.

Ike is certainly fast enough to pass Harrison and throw a block...but he didn't get the chance.

Not that I'm bitchin' about it...just sayin' it's more to throw at the "refs gave the Steelers the game" yutzes.

Thanks d, I've got the game recorded, so I'll have to replay that one and take a look in a bit.

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks d, I've got the game recorded, so I'll have to replay that one and take a look in a bit.

You're welcome...it is seen best from the EZ view. Just focus on 24...you can't miss it.

Djfan
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3eeoq1xi]Last night when they were showing Harrison's INT return I noticed yet another non call.

You're welcome...it is seen best from the EZ view. Just focus on 24...you can't miss it.[/quote:3eeoq1xi]

I saw that too. Look, good teams over come that stuff. That's all.

True Fan
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM

May I ask why you are so worried about me making one comment, that may or may not be true? Hows' 'botu this, I'll take it back if it makes you feel better. Now, in return for me taking it back, you change your screen name. Man up, as you say, but haven't shown. There is a big difference between our 'cute' screen names, and you saying the coach of the Steelers sucks after he won the super bowl in his second season. You do that on other message boards, and people take offense, why is it any different here? I realize you get thrills out of just causing controversy on message boards. Good for you. keep going if you will. It makes us no never mind. But don't expect to be treated as an equal when you clearly aren't a stand-up poster based on your lieing about changing your username if the Steelers won the super bowl.

well, if you happen to look up a handful of posts you will see where i asled for a name change.

True Fan
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Doesn't Matter.

You are either a person of your word or you aren't. It matters not if others are or aren't.

What you are is what you are.

hmmmm, seems to me that a particular poster accused me of constantly complaining about ben. i made that poster a bet that if he could find 1 post where i trashed ben then i would leave, if he couldn't, then they would leave.......and you are are questioning my word?

So... what are you?

DBinAL
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Ike wasn't even trying to get in front of Harrison. He was trailing the play and heading toward the sideline to make a block just as #82 was trying to get to Harrison. Ike never saw #82. If anything, Ike got in the way of #82 and ended up going down behind Harrison. That actually helped Harrison, because 2 Cardinals were wiped out at once.

MeetJoeGreene
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
hmmmm, seems to me that a particular poster accused me of constantly complaining about ben. i made that poster a bet that if he could find 1 post where i trashed ben then i would leave, if he couldn't, then they would leave.......and you are are questioning my word?

So what is your point with that? Did that poster ACCEPT your bet and then go back on their word? If they didn't accept the bet, that doesn't make them a person of their word or not.

If they accepted and then went back on their word, that would make them not a person of their word.

Doesn't mean that you ALSO get a pass for not being a person of YOUR word. They are 2 different events.

True Fan
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM

So what is your point with that? Did that poster ACCEPT your bet and then go back on their word? If they didn't accept the bet, that doesn't make them a person of their word or not.

If they accepted and then went back on their word, that would make them not a person of their word.

Doesn't mean that you ALSO get a pass for not being a person of YOUR word. They are 2 different events.

i'll type this slow so you get it. i asked for a name change a few days ago.

it makes that poster a liar and a coward

stlrz d
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Ike wasn't even trying to get in front of Harrison. He was trailing the play and heading toward the sideline to make a block just as #82 was trying to get to Harrison. Ike never saw #82. If anything, Ike got in the way of #82 and ended up going down behind Harrison. That actually helped Harrison, because 2 Cardinals were wiped out at once.

But the point is he could have gotten in front of Harrison and Pope could have been flagged but wasn't.

It's not complaining...just ammo for responses to the "refs gave you guys the game" garbage which is what Jooser was looking for.

MeetJoeGreene
02-12-2009, 12:05 AM

If you asked for a name change, then that makes you a man of your word.

Which was my only question...

True Fan
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM

i get it. you wont man up.

Jooser
02-12-2009, 07:28 PM

i get it. you wont man up.

May I ask that the macho man up talk be carried on in PM's please. This isn't what this thread's about.....

The only questionable call, IMHO, that we got was the late hit on Ben. Though, I could just accept this as a make up call for the late hit he sustained in the AFCCG.

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
May I ask that the macho man up talk be carried on in PM's please. This isn't what this thread's about.....

The only questionable call, IMHO, that we got was the late hit on Ben. Though, I could just accept this as a make up call for the late hit he sustained in the AFCCG.

Way to "man up" and take your thread back, Joose! :lol:

Jooser
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Reverend!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/This****.jpg :D

feltdizz
02-13-2009, 12:42 AM

you know what pissed me off about the INT return? I think it was Bill Simmons on ESPN who wrote that all our speed guys were nowhere to be found on the return and that it was the LB's and DL's who did all the hustling.

That guy is a hater and and aZZZ. I just rewatched NFLN's Livewire.. which was great I must add, and every defensive player was in on that return. Troy, Ike, Deshea and Clark were all seen throwing blocks and trying to get in peoples way...

ESPN is a tabloid rag now full of boston hacks..